Should Garnacho be going to Qatar?

Brophs

The One and Only
Course not. He’s barely even a first team player.

Ibi Dreams

I thought it was weird Theo Walcott got taken to the World Cup at a young age and I don’t necessarily think it did him any favours as he never really had any type of consistency in his career (although one or two genuine 10/10 performances)
It was weirder with Walcott, he hadn't even played a PL match when he went to the world cup and was even younger than Garnacho is.

Garnacho probably would genuinely be a better option than some of the Argentina squad right now. At the very least an interesting option to bring on as a sub against tired legs.

I'm glad he's not going, but with the way he's been playing I wouldn't have bet against him to make a bit of an impact

MUFC OK

He’s gonna end up going isn’t he.. 100%. Perfect wildcard pick.

Demon Barber

I would have liked to see him get some minutes in the national team at the WC, but understand why he is not in the squad. Also I would rather he was resting then training with United.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If the World Cup was in the Summer 2023 he might have been.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Thank God you're not our NT manager

Of course I would not bring him with 2 games played.
Also worth noting Di Maria played with Messi at PSG for a year so they're used to each other, and of course at national level for years.

You can't teach chemistry and know what each player wants on a pitch after a few weeks training, so the link up will be important.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Rather not in the middle of the season where fatigue and injuries are likely to happen after the tournament. The world cup is not the most important campaign compared to the domestic season. In addition, if Garnacho goes and has a bad tournament how does that correlate to his form for United ?
He wouldn't have playee much to be fatigued tbh

Bondi77

He can play for the Argies after he is wearing the #7 jersey for us....too much pressure playing for your country!

Boondog

If I were a manager of one of these teams I'd be willing to change out the bottom roster spot or two with a player who is hot going into the tournament. Garnacho is a good example of this.

But I am glad he won't be going. Keep his ass working with the gaffer on his skills. In fact I think this break is going to be great for all the young players on this team, to include the ones who have not broken into the first team yet like McNeill. I'm sure ten Hag will get good looks and work with all of the ones who are close. So Iqbal and McNeill both should get some good work at a minimum.

Boondog

Also and btw Doha has some great bars. Unfortunately like with all middle eastern cities (well the westernized ones I have frequented) the fine chick you're chatting up has a better than average chance to require money. But some of my best partying memories have been in Doha, it is a fantastic place to party and hook up. Not quite Dubai but close.

I'm sure there will be a few teams that lose in this tournament due to key players getting a little too crazy on the partying.

the_cliff

I think this is more on Angel Correa, which is the claim from most people here.
Ohh ok, that's a shame.

Separate question. Martinez started for you today, do you think he's a starter during the world cup ?

Bertie Wooster

I get that he'd be a surprise selection, but he's been in recent provisional Argentina squads and so it's valid to discuss his chances as a wild card selection.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I get that he'd be a surprise selection, but he's been in recent provisional Argentina squads and so it's valid to discuss his chances as a wild card selection.
Some people genuinely like to make it out as if they have a clue.

I still hope he doesn't go, we can use him against Burnley

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

His lack of playing time at the start of the season cost him his place I think. His pick up in form was over the last month when most of the selection decisions would have already been made.

Mr PG

If you can hack it for Manchester United against Premier League opposition you can do it for the Argentina National team and they all know that....but having said that I'm glad he isn't going but I suspect they have an eye on him right now. I won't be surprised if they suddenly call him up.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Would probably just end up being all a bit Theo Walcott if he did go. Either way, with the rumblings around his attitude, I think Ten Hag will be quietly thankful he's not going just to make it slightly easier to keep his feet on the ground.

norm87cro

No he should be resting for United. F... Argentina.
Plus he is still a bit young and unproven

Ish

Lights on for Luke
By God 5 minutes ago he couldn't get a game for United now people are saying its a mistake to not have him at a world cup.

Let's leave it at the idea he is a good young player and let his evolution take its course.

I'm glad he's not going. He's a kid that's just overcome attitude problems. Last thing needed is him going to the world cup and a national pressure being put on him.

He has plenty of time
Basically this. Also, the slagging of AdM is odd/clearly shows the OP hasn’t watched him much for his NT. Hes usually done really well for Argentina.

68cob

I have no idea about the Argentine squad, but this thread title just reminds me of fans of various clubs every week saying their in form striker should be in the england squad, over whoever didn't score that weekend.

NoPace

He should probably go. End of the day Joaquin Correa and Nicolas Gonzalez aren't great players and dropping one (I assume Gonzalez because Correa is more of a pure 9 as an essential backup if Lautaro gets hurt and they don't want to commit to playing with a false 9) for a player who fits as well with Messi as Garnacho does makes sense.

So it's not so much about Garnacho's level being better than that of Inter's 3rd striker or a fella with 8 goals in 39 for Fiorentina as it is Messi being the main man in the team and a great dribbler at LW who literally just won a game by making a Jordi Alba-esque run to get on the end of a pass from Eriksen to win a game. Garnacho has the hunger to run in behind and the dribbling ability to win a 1 on 1 and one of Messi's better qualities is his passing from right to left on the pitch.

If you subbed Messi for Lewandowski or Haaland or even a more direct RW star like Salah or Robben then fine, don't bring Garnacho. But the fit with Messi makes sense, so you bring him. Also Di Maria on the left may not last, he starts 20 league games a year and he's not always on form like he was even 2-3 years ago from what I've seen.

Abraxas

No, he should not. He's played a few games in men's football. If Argentina haven't got more accomplished footballers in their forward line than one of our youth products that's making his way in the game then they've got issues. Personally I don't think major nations should be thrusting talents with a few hundred minutes in football into that situation. This is Argentina we're talking about, not Bosnia. You should have to earn your stripes with a compelling season at some point, or half a season at least.

I don't know why we're packing his bags for him on here, it's not something we need for him, it doesn't do us any favours judging by the managers comments. We need him to do what the manager says. Stay focused, committed to his training and improvement and if he does that his Argentina future takes care of itself.

Last edited:

lex talionis

On the merits, Garnacho should be a part of the NT squad. Even if he didn't play a single minute, the experience of being in the squad and training with some of the world's top footballer (Messi instead of Ronaldo, for example) would have been immense for him and for his country. And for us.

But I'm thrilled he's not part of the NT squad.

68cob

I wonder how much Theo Walcott benefitted from his WC trip as a 17year old.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
People need to stop forcing this, he only just reached 10 senior appearances. There will be plenty of World Cups for him to experience.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
People need to stop forcing this, he only just reached 10 senior appearances. There will be plenty of World Cups for him to experience.
He was in the national team squad before he broke through with us, so it wouldn’t be a surprise.

I really hope he stays with the United squad and give ETH time to develop him further for the 2nd half of the season.

Ekeke

They selected the young Thiago Almada instead as a replacement for their injuries. I doubt they wanted 2 young players that inexperienced. He's 21 and I'd say talent on a similar level to Meijbri but as far as I know, no attitude and booking problems. He's an AM rather than a winger though.

JSParkgreat

Glad he’s not going - He’s young and needs to continue to improve his game so much better for him to practicing with ETH during the break. Not sitting on the bench in the desert. Don’t care about international football which I think is shite.

Luka Mora

Gutted he's going to miss the world cup, would have been great experience for him even just short cameo's he's shown he doesn't need long on the pitch to bring spark and change a game.

GazTheLegend

Gutted he's going to miss the world cup, would have been great experience for him even just short cameo's he's shown he doesn't need long on the pitch to bring spark and change a game.
Needs to continue his development. Plus a good world cup would have the sharks circling again