Should Luke Shaw be converted to a midfielder?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Left Centre-Half whenever we deploy a three-men defence and that's about it. It was bad enough that we left him without any competition on the left flank. Even a 19 yo inexperienced newbie looks as good as Shaw has ever been for us. Fitness problems, bad luck with injuries or whatever, it should be clear by now that we should be looking to move him to the periphery of the first team instead of rewarding him with more important key roles.
This, and then only as Rojo's deputy.

TRUERED89

I have to say those pre injury performances by Shaw is one of the most overrated form of a player I have ever heard of.

I loved LVG & his tactics and even I'd overrate the players - but Shaw did absolutely nothing during that period & it was just pure hype from the fan base of having a young English fullback & we have the same player we always had.

He is nothing special good enough maybe to be a back up LB but not long term starting full bakc for United.
You enjoyed being put to sleep did you:boring:? Deary me

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Fatboy as a flying winger :drool:

Be particularly effective when playing downhill

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
How do the two things even relate? Pogba and Shaw have 0 similarities. Although I agree with the rest of this thread that there's no chance that would/should happen. Quite comical from OP really.
He is Pogba's fanboy. And if he thinks that Shaw is good midfielder then no wonder he rates Pogba so highly, he is probably 100 times better midfielder than Shaw would ever be. His expectations for a midfield position seem really low, so again, no wonder he thinks Pogba is the greatest midfielder that he ever saw.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is Pogba's fanboy. And if he thinks that Shaw is good midfielder then no wonder he rates Pogba so highly, he is probably 100 times better midfielder than Shaw would ever be. His expectations for a midfield position seem really low, so again, no wonder he thinks Pogba is the greatest midfielder that he ever saw.
Thanks for the tag Amar. Very brave of you!

It's clear you're very narrow minded and don't enjoy brain storming ideas, so i'll save that for the intelligent posters among us ;)

Gopher Brown

He wasn’t really flying before his leg break though. His first season was massively hampered by injuries. The leg break was unfortunate but you can’t rewrite history and say he was great before that.

I’m afraid he’s probably done. He’s been here 5 and a bit seasons and has made 109 appearances for us. Just over 20 in all competitions. He’s not reliable, and when he does play it’s for 5 games and then he’s off again. A bit like Phil Jones.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Shaw is just as strong and quick as Sissoko, that was my point. He'd offer a similar style of ball carrying which could prove very tricky to stop.

I'd argue Shaw is better on the ball than Sissoko also, his link up play is very good in tight spaces and he's shown good ability to pick a pass in the box.
Sorry but Shaw is not as strong and quick as Sissoko.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Thanks for the tag Amar. Very brave of you!

It's clear you're very narrow minded and don't enjoy brain storming ideas, so i'll save that for the intelligent posters among us ;)
Backed into a corner here I'm afraid. How about he gets converted into a footballer who can actually serve the purpose of one first?

Adam-Utd

Sorry but Shaw is not as strong and quick as Sissoko.
I think you underestimate him. He’s quite a heavy lad :lol: I’ve never seen him be bullied before.

Speed wise it would be close, shaw is lightening when he actually tries.

Adam-Utd

Backed into a corner here I'm afraid. How about he gets converted into a footballer who can actually serve the purpose of one first?
? Since when is talking about an idea being backed into a corner. That’s what the forum is about isn’t it? Oh no wait I forgot this was the negative corner where only moaning is allowed :lol:

players get converted all the time. You can do that instantly where as buying isn’t so quick and easy.

Anyway, it probably won’t ever happen but I personally think it could work great. People are welcome to their opinions.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He does not possess the three most important traits for any midfielder: Positional awareness, vision and good close control. We tried this with Rooney who had those skills in a much bigger extent than Shaw has, and he constantly looked like a fish out of water

ifightdragons

? Since when is talking about an idea being backed into a corner. That’s what the forum is about isn’t it? Oh no wait I forgot this was the negative corner where only moaning is allowed :lol:

players get converted all the time. You can do that instantly where as buying isn’t so quick and easy.

Anyway, it probably won’t ever happen but I personally think it could work great. People are welcome to their opinions.
How can you instantly convert a player's position and tactical know-how?

mu4c_20le

He does not possess the three most important traits for any midfielder: Positional awareness, vision and good close control. We tried this with Rooney who had those skills in a much bigger extent than Shaw has, and he constantly looked like a fish out of water
I actually thought Rooney did well enough in midfield, his passing was and still is seriously underrated here, and his workrate is something our current squad can aspire to. We could have done with a Rooney in CM at the end of last season. Alan Smith is probably a better example, as he got converted after a leg break too, and never looked effective there.

fps

I think you underestimate him. He’s quite a heavy lad :lol: I’ve never seen him be bullied before.

Speed wise it would be close, shaw is lightening when he actually tries.
Still on the heavy side though.

Kostur

海尔的老板
The best thing about this thread is not just the absurd idea in the OP but some absurd loons that follow it. It's like starting a Flat Earth Society only soon to be joined by Lizardmen Association and Anti-Vaccination Anonymous.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is one of the all time worst "move underperforming player to another position" threads.

I think the Lindelöf to centre mid thread had more legs!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's see if he can play a full season at left back first eh?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If it was up to the caf we would be lining up like this:

DDG
Tuanzebe - AWB - Bailly - Williams
Lindelof
Maguire - TFM
Dalot - Greenwood - Shaw​
You forgot that DDG is shit now and Henderson is next big thing. Other 10 you got it right

Green_Red

Yeah selling our first choice leftback when we are in dire need for a striker and midfielder makes so much sense.
Is he first choice though, or just a choice? He's the best option but he hardly plays in the league for us. It might be time to consider replacing him for someone reliable.

Season: PL Games Played
19/20: 3
18/19: 29
17/18: 11
16/17: 11
15/16: 5
14/15: 16

That's shocking no matter what anyone says. I know the leg break but seriously, he barely plays.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Is he first choice though, or just a choice? He's the best option but he hardly plays in the league for us. It might be time to consider replacing him for someone reliable.

Season: PL Games Played
19/20: 3
18/19: 29
17/18: 11
16/17: 11
15/16: 5
14/15: 16

That's shocking no matter what anyone says. I know the leg break but seriously, he barely plays.
Woeful. A big part of having a good defence is having a settled defence.

Adam-Utd

He does have vision. we’ve show. 2 examples already earlier in the thread, and there’s lots of little examples in games where he plays a cute pass into the box or between the lines.

Most players can play multiple positions already, but with good training and tactical work anybody can learn a new position, it just depends if the player can take it on board.

This thread is surely a wind up
I don’t know why everybody thinks this is such a weird thing :lol: Fergie played Phil Jones and John O’Shea in midfield?

Withnail

He does have vision. we’ve show. 2 examples already earlier in the thread, and there’s lots of little examples in games where he plays a cute pass into the box or between the lines.

Most players can play multiple positions already, but with good training and tactical work anybody can learn a new position, it just depends if the player can take it on board.

I don’t know why everybody thinks this is such a weird thing :lol: Fergie played Phil Jones and John O’Shea in midfield?
Moving a CB who can pick a pass a bit further forward is hardly a novel idea and they can do a job when you're stuck.

It's a false equivalence as it's totally different to what you're suggesting with Shaw.