Should Manchester United move?

Would you support Manchester United if they moved?

• No, the team belongs in Manchester

Votes: 115 82.7%
  • I would support the club wherever it was based.

Votes: 24 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just a recent thread that got me thinking. Ultimately, does Manchester United need to be in Manchester?

If we are taken over, there may be valid reasons to move out home ground. Would you be okay with this?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Have a day off mate

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You’re too wound up by the whole ownership / Qatar thing

Nero

Of course the club should forever be based in Manchester. That also has no relevance to the location of its fans/owners.

amolbhatia50k

I literally just don’t want the club to be owned by murderers. I don’t think I’m massively wound up, just sad that it could be happening.
What does this thread have to do with murder?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Of course the club should forever be based in Manchester. That also has no relevance to the location of its fans/owners.
Why should it be based in Manchester? It’s a really interesting question.

If the fans there are no more important than others, if the stadium is going to be taken down…

What makes Manchester United a Manchester institution?

Steve 007

We would find it easier to attract players if we moved to London for one thing.
We are called Manchester Utd, I don’t think we’ve ever lost out in players to the london clubs except when Chelsea offered more money or we were playing badly. Even then I can’t think of too many. Silly idea that Manchester Utd could be based in London.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We are called Manchester Utd, I don’t think we’ve ever lost out in players to the london clubs except when Chelsea offered more money or we were playing badly. Even then I can’t think of too many. Silly idea that Manchester Utd could be based in London.
I think I agree with this ultimately. For me, being in Manchester is an integral part of being Manchester United.

Sviken

I thought Wummi was all about Manchester and didn't acknowledge anyone outside of it. Now you want the club to move?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I thought Wummi was all about Manchester and didn't acknowledge anyone outside of it. Now you want the club to move?
Just interested in people’s opinions. I’ve always thought that being based in Manchester was integral to the club. I’ve thought supporting your local players and the cultural heritage of Manchester was important. Some people might disagree, trying to gage people’s reactions.

amolbhatia50k

Nothing. What does this thread have to do with Qatar?
What does this thread have to do with anything? The stadium isn’t going to move to another city ffs. Nor should it. This is just brexit esque paranoia

amolbhatia50k

Okay.
Why shouldn’t it? I guess I’m trying to see why you think it is important.
You know the answer. Manchester United is first and foremost a club that represents the people, society and culture of Manchester and thereafter its global fanbase. Like other clubs and their local environments, it’s history is built around that - the local fans, academy products, everything really. It’s nothing unique to this football club. You cannot remove a club from its foundations. That’s far more identity destroying that a mere change in who owns the clubs shares which doesn’t completely define the club as much as all of the rest does.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You know the answer. Manchester United is first and foremost a club that represents the people, society and culture of Manchester and thereafter its global fanbase. Like other clubs and their local environments, it’s history is built around that - the local fans, academy products, everything really. It’s nothing unique to this football club. You cannot remove a club from its foundations. That’s far more identity destroying that a mere change in who owns the clubs shares which doesn’t completely define the club as much as all of the rest does.
Yeah, I think I agree with that. Your first bit sums up my view perfectly.

amolbhatia50k

Seems like sensationalist nonsense.

I’m sure a new stadium would help us play better football. I understand the stadium needs work but isn’t challenging for trophies a more major concern?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Just a recent thread that got me thinking. Ultimately, does Manchester United need to be in Manchester?

If we are taken over, there may be valid reasons to move out home ground. Would you be okay with this?
What is Manchester United in 2023?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
What is Manchester United in 2023?
I suppose this is the crux of it isn’t it.

What does it mean to support a club in 2023? What should a Man United fan be doing.

Are traditions and history important? Or not?

Do we look after the fans in Manchester? Or are they not as important as the worldwide fanbase?

Is Manchester United intrinsically linked with the Manchester area? I think yes, a lot of fans would apparently argue no.

Is it right to consider those who go to the matches over others? How do we ensure local fans take priority?

We are going through an identity crisis and a lot of people will struggle with this.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This poster is a perfect example.

I’ve always thought you can only support one team. In my head, you have one club.

@Real Name supports two equally. His local club and Manchester United. Is this the way football is going and I just have to get used to it? Is it possible to support two clubs now?

mshnsh

You are a wum, wumminator.

amolbhatia50k

I suppose this is the crux of it isn’t it.

What does it mean to support a club in 2023? What should a Man United fan be doing.

Are traditions and history important? Or not?

Do we look after the fans in Manchester? Or are they not as important as the worldwide fanbase?

Is Manchester United intrinsically linked with the Manchester area? I think yes, a lot of fans would apparently argue no.

Is it right to consider those who go to the matches over others? How do we ensure local fans take priority?

We are going through an identity crisis and a lot of people will struggle with this.
Are we struggling with an identity crises or you are (as a fan) or is it the game going global that’s affecting football in general? This feels like all the right wing this is our country rhetoric a bit doesn’t it?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Are we struggling with an identity crises or you are (as a fan) or is it the game going global that’s affecting football in general? This feels like all the right wing this is our country rhetoric a bit doesn’t it?

Does it?

You’ve just said that United should put Manchester first ahead of the global fanbase. Is that right wing?

Is Manchester United being owned by people who don’t allow gay people to live openly and require women to act in certain ways not massively right wing?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
You know the answer. Manchester United is first and foremost a club that represents the people, society and culture
Don't see how that's true in this day and age.

The players are vast majority not local. They don't join for mancunian culture. They don't have roots and family in Manchester.
The managers are not local. They don't join for the societal enjoyment .
The owners certainly not local. They surely aren't representing the people.

United is a commercial entity now. The days of it being a club of locals are long long gone.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Don't see how that's true in this day and age.

The players are vast majority not local. They don't join for mancunian culture. They don't have roots and family in Manchester.
The managers are not local. They don't join for the societal enjoyment .
The owners certainly not local. They surely aren't representing the people.

United is a commercial entity now. The days of it being a club of locals are long long gone.
So, could the club move for you then?

Edit: this is what I mean Amol, some people don’t agree that Manchester is actually important to Manchester United. I think this is why the debate is important.

Real Name

This poster is a perfect example.

I’ve always thought you can only support one team. In my head, you have one club.

@Real Name supports two equally. His local club and Manchester United. Is this the way football is going and I just have to get used to it? Is it possible to support two clubs now?
Are you all right mate?

You really should get some fresh air, it will do you a ton of good.

Herman Toothrot

feck that.

Stop trying to rape our cultural history.

We welcome fans from around the world, but the club belongs to Manchester.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
The more interesting question is 'should Manchester United merge with a local rival?'

Imagine a United/City alliance - unlimited wealth, allied with the fervent support of 100,000 Mancunians in a custom built stadia! It would finally challenge the stranglehold that Madrid seems to have over the Champions League.

Reactions: Sultan
Status
Not open for further replies.