Should Manchester United move?

Would you support Manchester United if they moved?

• No, the team belongs in Manchester

Votes: 115 82.7%
  • I would support the club wherever it was based.

Votes: 24 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Are you all right mate?

It doesnt sound good.

Why would I not be alright? Yesterday, you were adamant there can be no “superior” fans. A fan from a foreign country who supports two teams is not inferior to a fan from Manchester who goes regularly. So I guess this question makes a lot of sense. Why do we stay in Manchester?

Would you mind if United moved? Or your other club?

Real Name

Why would I not be alright? Yesterday, you were adamant there can be no “superior” fans. A fan from a foreign country who supports two teams is not inferior to a fan from Manchester who goes regularly. So I guess this question makes a lot of sense. Why do we stay in Manchester?

Would you mind if United moved? Or your other club?
You're really going strong with superior and inferior stuff second day in a row. Says a lot really. Dont be surprised when people call you on that.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You're really going strong with superior and inferior stuff second day in a row. Says a lot really. Dont be surprised when people call you on that.
Literally, I’m just trying to get your views on here so I can understand them. You’re not debating the question at all and I don’t know why.

Real Name

Literally, I’m just trying to get your views on here so I can understand them. You’re not debating the question at all and I don’t know why.
I'm not responding to people who wum obsessively. My fault I posted here, granted. Wont happen anymore, cheers.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'm not responding to people who wum obsessively. My fault I posted here, granted. Wont happen anymore, cheers.
No you’re not responding to people who WUM you are right, you’ve been replying to me for six posts though and I can’t get an answer.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
MK Dons did.

Would it impact your support of Manchester United if they moved somewhere?
No. What the club means to me goes beyond location. It's internalised what it represents.
I can have a long discussion on this of you are serious about it

Real Name

No you’re not responding to people who WUM you are right, you’ve been replying to me for six posts though and I can’t get an answer.
Sure mate. As I said my fault I got into a conversation with you who's wumming and wont talk in a good faith but having cheap shots from yesterday. Of you go to ignore list. Cheers.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A bit of a weird one, but let's take it at face value. Let's say there's truth to 25% of the claims that the club is supported by 1 billion people. Even 250m I highly doubt, but anyways. I suspect more than half of that would not care too much if the club were moved like a franchise to London, say. But of course the club would immediately lose its soul.

The local fans are the lifeblood of the club, in the sense of its dynamism and soul. Without them the club would be a different club though the "branding" might stay the same after a move.

Also, there are plenty of people all over the world who probably support United (as in their #1) and still follow their local club. Is that impossible to combine in the OP's mind?

A more interesting question would be what would United as a club and a phenomenon look and feel like if it were only supported by people based in Manchester.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
A bit of a weird one, but let's take it at face value. Let's say there's truth to 25% of the claims that the club is supported by 1 billion people. Even 250m I highly doubt, but anyways. I suspect more than half of that would not care too much if the club were moved like a franchise to London, say. But of course the club would immediately lose its soul.

The local fans are the lifeblood of the club, in the sense of its dynamism and soul. Without them the club would be a different club though the "branding" might stay the same after a move.

Also, there are plenty of people all over the world who probably support United (as in their #1) and still follow their local club. Is that impossible to combine in the OP's mind?

A more interesting question would be what would United as a club and a phenomenon look and feel like if it were only supported by people based in Manchester.
Has United still got a soul?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I suppose this is the crux of it isn’t it.

What does it mean to support a club in 2023? What should a Man United fan be doing.

Are traditions and history important? Or not?

Do we look after the fans in Manchester? Or are they not as important as the worldwide fanbase?

Is Manchester United intrinsically linked with the Manchester area? I think yes, a lot of fans would apparently argue no.

Is it right to consider those who go to the matches over others? How do we ensure local fans take priority?

We are going through an identity crisis and a lot of people will struggle with this.

United and every other large PL "club ".

No longer football clubs but commercial entities there to make money.

The senior playing staff at United are there for money in the vast majority of caes. Very few with local roots.
They'll play and kiss the badge as they may get indoctrinated with United history after a while but could quite easily have joined other PL teams and be kissing their badges.

The owners of Manchester United are interested in making money from the match day fan and the online fan equally. I doubt they see a difference. They want paying customers.
Fans are just that. Customers.

If owners did something mental like putting the home ground in London it would still be full every week so would they care what local Jimmy thinks, you know that old fan that loves what the club used to be. The good old days when football was football.

No they would not.

United ceased being that club years and years ago.

So, could the club move for you then?

Edit: this is what I mean Amol, some people don’t agree that Manchester is actually important to Manchester United. I think this is why the debate is important.
It's symbolic at this stage.
The team probably has to stay playing home games in Manchester to keep ties with the history and roots. That's where the marketing magic is really done.
If it moved the links would fail over time and the interest may dwindle.

So commercially the best course of action would be to stay in Manchester although practically it could be placed anywhere

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is Piers Morgan was a ReCafe poster he would be Wumminator

Spaghetti

Mom's
I literally just don’t want the club to be owned by murderers. I don’t think I’m massively wound up, just sad that it could be happening.
Do you think the Glazer money is totally clean?

It always seems to be different when it’s Arab people. Just like the World Cup.

digitalmpu

But how exactly do you define where a club is based on these days? We are listed in NYSE, have a major office in London and bases across the world. The two most definitive things we have in Manchester are the name and the stadium Along with training and club facilities, player residences etc. We can safely rule out changing the name. That leaves us with the stadium and all that comes with it (which is a lot to be honest).

I don't think being the global giant we are, it is impossible to imagine a home base somewhere else but are there really any merit that worths such a drastic change?

For me, one thing that separates United from any other club in the world (May be except Real Madrid) is it's history and tradition. We take great pride in bringing local lads through the academy. How do we retain these romantic touches that still sets us apart in todays ultra commercial football world? We are better off where we are.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Not sure why I’ve been quoted? His name was changed from Twigginator to Wumminator for a reason, he loves to chat nonsense.
Still, he’s right that local fans are the most important ones, obviously.
Just been told that someone else has put me on ignore for wumming. My wumming was this post.
I’ll try not to watch it
Feck Qatar
Oil me up and sheikh me about
Feck those six street vultures

ScholesyTheWise

I might be a bit slow in the morning, but.... how are these numbers possible?

no sports club can have 250m fans...

that's an insane amount of % of the world population to even care about sports, let alone support a very specific team.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You have literally posted about me five times since I last posted in a thread
That's because I find you hilarious. I even played game by voting in that silly poll of yours. However we've been here for a long long time and you should know by now that you're really testing the mods patience. I don't want you to get banned.

So here's my advice (an advice that I wish I get when I'm in the zone as you are right now), go out, take some fresh air and come back.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
That's because I find you hilarious. I even played game by voting in that silly poll of yours. However we've been here for a long long time and you should know by now that you're really testing the mods patience. I don't want you to get banned.

So here's my advice (an advice that I wish I get when I'm in the zone as you are right now), go out, take some fresh air and come back.

Hang on, the mods have been giving out warnings to people who have been insulting me. A national newspaper made an article about United playing in London and around 1/4 posters here are okay with that.

I’m not anywhere near a zone at all, I’m encouraging posting. I can’t be held responsible for some of the poor posts that are made against me! If anything I bet the mods are happy I expose these posters!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I genuinely am! What does it mean to you?
Ok. There have been studies initially on why kids join gangs etc. The general passage of people tends to be in 3 simple progressions of phases.
1) Identity
2) Community
3) Purpose

When young, you tend to have external identifiers provide you with the answers. You are an American, British, a Scouser, Manc, Christain, Muslim or a Manchester United supporter. You are generally born into it so it's a default identity and thus the community you relate to etc.

But they are external identifiers -- and by default, there was nothing that you had to work on to find out who you are.

It's a default setting. But is that really just who you are? Is there more to you than something that has been lumped onto you?

Many are just happy with it since it doesn't need to deep dive into some vague discovery or long journey of self-discovery, a nebulous journey at that. But for some surely there is more to one's self--- other than some default setting?

But the more cynical folks out there tend to take advantage of such 'arrested development' -- that's how the idea of patriotism, nationalism, sectarianism etc exploit such external identifiers. You take it further, some will have a sense of exceptionalism or tribalism that they can sub-humanise other groups which can lead to violence or to the extreme, genocide.

Your true identity has to be internalised and not determined by some simple passport, holy book, location of birth or member of some gang/community. And not some default setting.

Surely who you are is a lot more complicated/sophisticated but more nebulous rather than some passport or badge.

So what does Manchester United mean to me -- its a 3D answer. From childhood memories to a sense of community. It was all through my passage of life. But its not just who I am.

I am an ensalada of a person. There are both external and equally as many internal identifiers.

CallyRed

But if they moved, we can no longer sing songs like Manchester la la la la Manchester la la la la or how wonderful it is .

Mmm-Qatarian

Well, it has been an awfully long time since we've had anything going on football-wise here in Bristol...

Zen86

The Manchester part adds sex appeal. ‘United’ on the other hand… I wouldn’t be opposed to a Manchester Panthers rename.

Status
Not open for further replies.