Should our first action in the match be passing the ball into our own net?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Mentally we seem to be better off coming from behind - we are more focused, more deliberate, more daring and seem to play with less pressure. The sooner we get it out the way the better.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Tried to research and came across this - interesting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4–2_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_qualification)

The organizers of the tournament had imposed a rule requiring all matches to have a winner, and this was enforced with an unusual variant of the golden goal rule: the first goal scored in extra-time not only won the match, but was also worth two goals. Barbados started the match needing to win by a margin of at least two goals to qualify for the final tournament, and after Grenada scored late in normal time to bring the scoreline to 2–1, Barbados deliberately scored an own goal to force extra-time, where they could get the two-goal winning margin they needed courtesy of the unconventional golden goal rule.[1] This resulted in an unusual situation: for the last three minutes of the match, Grenada was trying to score on both goals, as either outcome (3–2 or 2–3) would have advanced them to the finals, while Barbados had to defend both goals. Ultimately, Barbados was able to prevent Grenada from scoring, thus forcing extra-time, and scored the golden goal to win the match.

The outcome of the match was criticized by Grenadian manager James Clarkson, who felt that his team had been cheated out of advancing to the finals. However, FIFA chose to not punish Barbados given the unusual tournament rules.

Redlyn

Mentally we seem to be better off coming from behind - we are more focused, more deliberate, more daring and seem to play with less pressure. The sooner we get it out the way the better.
They will do that anyway so it will end up being 2 goals conceeded and a bigger uphill battle. Let them do it themselves.

Anustart89

Is it? What is the ref going to do - disallow the goal?
It is. If a player deliberately smashes the ball into his own net the ref should award a corner.

Edit: I was sure I'd heard this but can't find a source right now. Will try a couple more minutes, otherwise disregard this.

Lentwood

I think it comes from fear not focus or attitude.

When the games are 0-0 we seem to be very cagey and slightly fearful.

When we go 0-1, its seems the players think “well we’ve nothing to lose, let’s start taking risks”

galwayfa

My missus calls me Lester piggott as I like coming from behind, she might change it to man utd,

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
25 minutes wasted today.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
29 minutes wasted today. Let’s go.