Should teams be rewarded for hitting the post?

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Serious question......

Is there anything to said for a team to be rewarded a "half a goal for hitting the post"

Would make games more interesting and rewards players like Rashford for hitting a worldie off the post.

In most cases hitting a post is harder to do then scoring a goal. Anyone who has attempted the crossbar challenge will agree with this.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think:
0.6 goals for hitting the woodwork
1.2 goals if the shot was outside the area.
0.05 goals for a corner
-0.1 goal for s yellow card
-0.7 goals for a red card

For every player eligible for the national team of the league you're in, you get to multiply the total score by 1.01.

All of the above would make for a fairer and far simpler game.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Maybe they add the crossbar challenge into the game somehow. After five penalties in a shootout, if it's tied after those, then go to the crossbar challenge. If you hit the underside of the bar and it goes into the net it counts as two, whereas if it just hits it normally and bounces off it's just one.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Only if they are British. We should call it the Gary Neville rule.

bazalini

Obviously not. Now close this thread.
Why not.......

10 years ago if it was mentioned VAR shoukd be brought in to the game it would have garnered the same response.

Obviously people won't like the idea - but I think it's important people are allowed free speech and any idea should be discussed.

Maybe instead of discouraging debate - you should put forward why you are against it.

In Rugby if you touch a post you get a try - I'm not saying my idea is fully developed - but from people ive spoken to - they are keen to advance the idea.

I'll give 6 reasons why a Super Goal will benefit the game

1. It rewards creativity
2. A Super Goal in a boring 0-0 draw makes the game more exciting
3. Everyone loves when the ball cracks off the post
4. The technology is already there with Cricket to see if a ball hits post.
5. As ole said - the game could bring in a "wooden boot" to go alongside the "golden boot" award
6. Try saying "goalllllll" - then saying "Suppperrr Goalllllll", then tell me which is more exciting.

bazalini

0.05 goals for a corner
Don't get me started with Corners.

I think corners need changed.

Here's my idea. A team has the opportunity to position a ball at each of the corners with a player at each ready to take the corner. It's up to the team which ball is kicked and obviously with hand signals and player code (worked out on the training field) the attacking team know which ball will be kicked.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I think:
0.05 goals for a corner

For every player eligible for the national team of the league you're in, you get to multiply the total score by 1.01.

This is genius!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The basic idea is sound but fails to go to its natural conclusion.

We should award every full Expected goal in a game with a goal. Unless that has already been scored. No draws anymore, the winner is found by xG margins.

Perfect statistical paradise.

Panther

Are we really at the stage where we're asking if we should get goals for hitting the bar because we can barely get them in the actual goal?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I think:
0.05 goals for a corner

How much for hitting a spectator on the head? And would it also depend on how annoying he looks? Like bonus points for a full kit wanker?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This isn't a bad shout. It would enhance the game in many aspects and the competitiveness would transcend to immense heights. I can even see the penalty shootout being partially replaced by the cross bar challenge in the near future.

lysglimt

Scout
Serious question......

Is there anything to said for a team to be rewarded a "half a goal for hitting the post"

Would make games more interesting and rewards players like Rashford for hitting a worldie off the post.

In most cases hitting a post is harder to do then scoring a goal. Anyone who has attempted the crossbar challenge will agree with this.

So if you are through on goal - you can either score for 1 goal, or run towards the post and kick the ball 4-5 times against the post before the nearest defender arrives...and you might get 2.5 goals ? :)

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
So if you are through on goal - you can either score for 1 goal, or run towards the post and kick the ball 4-5 times against the post before the nearest defender arrives...and you might get 2.5 goals ? :)
Yeah, we'd need an actual goal to count for 2. It might work tbh.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This is when VAR comes into play to prevent the abuse of the rule.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm guessing Liverpool hit the post many more times than City last season and this is another attempt to spin them into Champions.

Oldyella

How about the player getting a Kenwood juicer as a consolation prize?
Only if he can guess what price it would cost retail. But as we seem to be rewarding near misses now will allow it if within £25.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think:
0.05 goals for a corner

And bonus points for good hair surely?