Should the anticipated failure of our rivals be part of United's strategy for success?

fastwalker

So Gary Neville reckons that the departure Pep and Klopp will likely help level the playing field for other Premier League clubs. According to Neville, Liverpool's transfer market spending in particular is more akin to achieving 4th or 5th in the Premier League rather than winning the Premier and Champion's Leagues. The clear inference is that it is Klopp's excellence that makes the difference.

There is some truth in this theory. I remember during the latter days of Sir Alex Ferguson, rivals commenting how his departure would make it easier for other clubs to be successful. As it turned out, it was not such a ridiculous theory, as the last time we won the Premier League was when Sir Alex was in charge.

Whilst, on the face of it Gary Neville has a point and history does seem to back him up, his argument seems to be based on a fundamental premise that Liverpool will be as reckless with the appointment of their next manager as United have been. For Liverpool, this means departing from the due diligence approach to recruitment that they have carefully cultivated, for one negligence. Much as I want to agree with Gary, intuitively it simply does not make sense. Yes, there is a difference between the recruitment of players and the recruitment of managers, but is it that different? Is it reasonable to assume they will choose to ignore the thoughtful consideration that has helped to male them successful again?

Is it realistic to expect that we will become competitive again, once Pep and Klopp leave? What do others think?

Bondi77

Liverpool and Citeh are probably in the top three teams in world f ootball at the moment and that is just the way it is and when their cycle changes it will be easier for every club.

Man City and Newcastle (in 2 years time) will always hire the best manager available in the world. There won’t be any cycles or drop off, they have unlimited money and will consistently be on top regardless of who’s managing them.

Liverpool will obviously not be able to replace Klopp like us with Fergie. Sometimes one of the clubs below City and Newcastle might fluke a league win every now and then.

Tarrou

It is kind of inevitable that they drop off at some point

But I don’t think it should be part of our strategy to expect it

Even if they turn to shite we should be aiming to be the best team in the world, anything else is a bit of a loser mentality in my opinion

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Liverpool will drop off sooner or later, but there is every reason to believe City will remain top of the pile indefinitely. How do you compete long-term with a football club that has unlimited resources? They're always going to have the best players and managers available.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think people will be pleasantly surprised with how much City will drop off after Guardiola leaves.