Should the club drop Aeroflot as a sponsor? | Dropped

Jericholyte2

I made a joke earlier about players taping over the name with tape, similar to in Ted Lasso. I'd now think it quite poignant if players taped over it with blue and yellow tape.

Stacks

Why would they need to drop this sponsor? Is it Putin's personal company? I am just asking since we are sponsored by Arab oil companies and Newcastle have just been bought by Saudi Arabia so I was wondering if there was more to this sponsor.

macheda14

Oh it's a weak response for sure. Pathetic from the club and surely they have to do the right thing. Schalke acted instantly with Gazprom
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60520927

It looks like we are doing it. Just and odd response when 100% behind the scenes they have been starting the process to drop them as sponsors evidenced by us not using them to get to Madrid and back.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Why would they need to drop this sponsor? Is it Putin's personal company? I am just asking since we are sponsored by Arab oil companies and Newcastle have just been bought by Saudi Arabia so I was wondering if there was more to this sponsor.
It's Russia's national carrier...

Cat_knows

Dear Julie,

I understand that message in general but this is not a matter of an opinion but a criminal unlawful act from one state against another. It is above all matter of humanity and the last but not leadt - your commercial partner is on sanction list of your own government and is banned to land in UK.

Robert

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
damn. So its not privately owned. Fair enough there is no option. Hit their pockets. They will probably just raid Ukraine's resources while they are there
Nope, owned by Russian government
It appears to be majority-owned by the Russian government, with around 40% owned by pension funds, retail investors and the like. Its shares are down 40% since the start of the year.

Andy_Cole

The criticism on this thread has been bizarre. We can’t just instantly drop them. Obviously takes time. I’m sure the wheels were in motion instantly.

IWat

Will give the club props on this, it hasn't been drawn out - Just a sensible decision.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
I just got answer from the club:

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your email regarding the Club’s partnership with Aeroflot.

Our commercial partnership agreements are between Manchester United and the brands involved, not with any individual owner or related parties. In relation to the specific situation referred to in your email, we hope you can understand that, as a football club with fans from many different countries and cultures, Manchester United does not take positions on geopolitical issues.

Your comments have been noted and on to the relevant person.

Kind regards,

Julie
Promote this dude!

DeGea’sFeet

Yet the German government have done nothing because they are energy dependent on Russia.
This conflict of interest will always exists. Not just for Germany. Currently no countries have banned Saudi/UAE sponsors yet those countries have been doing atrocities in Yemen, and if tomorrow the USA fabricated another reason to invade Iraq, I doubt US businesses would have anything to fear about in Europe.

diarm

The club saying that they made the decision to travel to Madrid with a different airline before the invasion, doesn't really match up with our official TV channel showing ads for Aeroflot after the invasion.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We have ended the sponsorship, time to close this thread

Jippy

Staff
The club saying that they made the decision to travel to Madrid with a different airline before the invasion, doesn't really match up with our official TV channel showing ads for Aeroflot after the invasion.
Why? I highly doubt the team flew Aeroflot everywhere beforehand and do they even fly from Manchester to Madrid?

diarm

Why? I highly doubt the team flew Aeroflot everywhere beforehand and do they even fly from Manchester to Madrid?
My thoughts exactly. Not sure why they're attempting to win points from it now, especially when they were still showing the ads after the Youth Cup game last night.

Jippy

Staff
My thoughts exactly. Not sure why they're attempting to win points from it now, especially when they were still showing the ads after the Youth Cup game last night.
Surely the programming is set for the week ahead or whatever and it was just that no-one changed it before it aired or the decision wasn't made in time.

stw2022

Aeroflot sounds like the dump you do after eating certain brand of chocolate

sparx99

Pretty sure we bought our own 747 years ago. Or have we since sold it?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
They only did that so that they didn't have to scramble to arrange a different carrier home in the event Aeroflot was banned from British airports.

Club showing how ill prepared they are as usual.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Manchester United has released the following club statement...
“In light of events in Ukraine, we have withdrawn Aeroflot’s sponsorship rights.

“We share the concerns of our fans around the world and extend our sympathies to those affected.”

Bye bye

Shimo

Sense and deceny prevailed. At least hope it was that and not fear of what the fans / media would say otherwise.