Should the club start making NFTs?

Lentwood

I mean, if anyone thinks it's a good idea that will make them wealthy beyond imagination, they won't listen to me, on a forum, when I tell them that it's complete hokum.

The draw of (insert random new sounding tech words) plus (money) = suspend your critical thinking capacities to some people.

Good luck to those who wish to partake but as ever, only invest what you can afford to lose.
Surprisingly bullish by your standards!

On a serious note, I haven't seen one person on this thread (granted I havent read every single post) who has said that buying a Manchester Utd NFT will make them (or anyone) rich. People always take the worst, craziest examples of something and use that to form the basis of their argument

I do believe that if the club minted some NFTs and sold them as collectables, they would definitely sell, because people like collecting stuff. If people want to buy them, what's up with that?

redrobed

NFTs are all the rage and people are willing to pay a pretty penny for them.

So should United, the biggest football club in the world start selling them?

Yes.

Why? In order to generate more revenues which should be put back into the club (don't laugh)

One Cristiano Ronaldo NFT could enable us to buy Haaland
If you think the Glazers have any interest in investing in the playing squad then you haven’t been paying attention.

RedDevil@84

It's basically a digital...something (an image, a video clip, etc.) that is registered and certified as being unique.

I take a picture of my cat doing an impersonation of Elvis (not that Elvis) - and then go to through the proper procedure for uploading and registering it (thus making it unique and so forth).

I then become insanely famous (by posting random crap on YouTube) - and people will now be willing to buy the picture (meaning - buying the "certificate" which proves they own the "original" and not a copy) for loads and loads of money.
So more pics of Ronaldo wearing his brand of underwear then. Nice.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Huh? Why are they worth so much?
Remember a few years ago when Black Friday suddenly became a thing in the UK, and people were literally punching one another to get their hands on a shitly built Polaroid branded TV - that was still overpriced even though it was on "sale"? And then the next year nobody had learned their lesson and did it all again? And then they voted for the Tories?

Well...
Because people are idiots

the chameleon

What I would prefer is the club became a DAO and any fan could own some governance tokens. I can imagine this will happen in the future with many sporting clubs.

Red00012

I don’t know what a NFT and quite frankly I don’t care what it is and for that reason I’m out.

Barnslig

In you "real estate" example, I own a home and decide to sell it to you via NFT, since said home is not on-chain (being a physical object and all), who enforces ownership? I sell you the NFT, pocket the money and refuse to leave said home? Who evicts me and on what grounds? Laws, courts and police, right? So what was NFTs role in all of this, other that have to pay another bullshit fee to some third party?
If the NFT is the deed to the house. How is that any different to handing over a physical copy of a piece of paper with ink on it? How does a piece of paper physically force you out of the house? It's like saying if the deed is a PDF its invalid?

Moriarty

I ha
It's basically a digital...something (an image, a video clip, etc.) that is registered and certified as being unique.

I take a picture of my cat doing an impersonation of Elvis (not that Elvis) - and then go to through the proper procedure for uploading and registering it (thus making it unique and so forth).

I then become insanely famous (by posting random crap on YouTube) - and people will now be willing to buy the picture (meaning - buying the "certificate" which proves they own the "original" and not a copy) for loads and loads of money.
Which Elvis does your cat impersonate then? Costello?

tomaldinho1

Why the club, why not the caf?

I’d put my entire pension into getting the NFT of the Jamaican delegation post.

MrSingh2002

We don't need NFTs but what we do need is a fan token! That would give voting rights on certain topics.

Would be great for fan engagement.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

On a serious note, I haven't seen one person on this thread (granted I havent read every single post) who has said that buying a Manchester Utd NFT will make them (or anyone) rich. People always take the worst, craziest examples of something and use that to form the basis of their argument

I do believe that if the club minted some NFTs and sold them as collectables, they would definitely sell, because people like collecting stuff. If people want to buy them, what's up with that?
Because they're buying nothing.

sect2k

If the NFT is the deed to the house. How is that any different to handing over a physical copy of a piece of paper with ink on it? How does a piece of paper physically force you out of the house? It's like saying if the deed is a PDF its invalid?
Sorry, what? Did you actully read what I wrote? Because it seems you missed my point by a few miles.

Also mods, can we move this out of the football forum? What does getting fools to part with their money, have to do with football? What's next, discussing which sandwich dressing, should the club shop sell?

Lentwood

Because they're buying nothing.
There is a whole market for collectables like trading cards, stickers, figurines...99.9% of them are worthless but people enjoy collecting things.

Also, it's no different from in-game purchases really. My fiance is 31 years old and a Project Director at a large organisation, yet during lockdown she was spending a couple of quid every day on Pokeballs and other items in Pokemon Go so she could go on walks and collect Pokemon. We all must know people who spend £100s on players on FIFA.

I think people have jumped to the conclusion that all NFTs have to be mega expensive. United could sell packs of NFTs for £5. You put your unique NFTs in an online album and swap your doubles online with other collectors. Quite a nice idea really, some people would definitely enjoy that.

Barnslig

Sorry, what? Did you actully read what I wrote? Because it seems you missed my point by a few miles.
I did, I don't understand what you don't get here? The NFT would replace the deed to the house, and provide the same legal protection having the deed printed on paper? Proving ownership of the NFT proves ownership of the property and would be enforced by the legal system just like any other residential dispute?

Barnslig

There is a whole market for collectables like trading cards, stickers, figurines...99.9% of them are worthless but people enjoy collecting things.

Also, it's no different from in-game purchases really. My fiance is 31 years old and a Project Director at a large organisation, yet during lockdown she was spending a couple of quid every day on Pokeballs and other items in Pokemon Go so she could go on walks and collect Pokemon. We all must know people who spend £100s on players on FIFA.

I think people have jumped to the conclusion that all NFTs have to be mega expensive. United could sell packs of NFTs for £5. You put your unique NFTs in an online album and swap your doubles online with other collectors. Quite a nice idea really, some people would definitely enjoy that.
Imagine if Pokemon Go was a blockchain NFT games and the money people spent on those sorts of games weren't truly just a JPEG and not an NFT they could develop and sell on the open market to others instead of leaving all the money with the developers profiting heavily off of microtransactions

Lentwood

Imagine if Pokemon Go was a blockchain NFT games and the money people spent on those sorts of games weren't truly just a JPEG and not an NFT they could develop and sell on the open market to others instead of leaving all the money with the developers profiting heavily off of microtransactions
Happening now isn't it. The likes of GALA Games are working on online marketplaces for the sale of in-game assets.

It's fine if people don't want to get involved, don't get it, don't care....whatever....but to deny that it's happening is shortsighted

T_Model101

I get sent the surveys from the club, usually about inane things like what I think of the latest Maui Jim advert
One a few months ago was on NFTs
It's definitely been on many clubs radars since PSG decided they'd be paying some of Messi's salary in that fashion

sect2k

I did, I don't understand what you don't get here? The NFT would replace the deed to the house, and provide the same legal protection having the deed printed on paper? Proving ownership of the NFT proves ownership of the property and would be enforced by the legal system just like any other residential dispute?
What I don't get is how someone can read something, completely miss the point being made and then argue against an argument that was never made.

Barnslig

What I don't get is how someone can read something, completely miss the point being made and then argue against an argument that was never made.
You said "I sell you the house as an NFT who enforces ownership?" and I replied to that stating the NFT and enforcing of ownership would happen exactly as it is today, the only change would be the document in your possession is now an immutable, verifiable proof of ownership, where as a physical/digital document can be forged.

Barnslig

Happening now isn't it. The likes of GALA Games are working on online marketplaces for the sale of in-game assets.

It's fine if people don't want to get involved, don't get it, don't care....whatever....but to deny that it's happening is shortsighted
Agreed. One of my favourite games of all time is Counter-Strike, and I'll admit to having spent stupid amounts of money on in-game skins over the years, stupid money that Valve can take away at any moment, and were never really mine to begin with, with NFTs people can now have true ownership of their in-game items, spend time, effort and upgrade or add to their items and earn real life money from it, still people can't see the value in the technology, but they'd spend hundreds or thousands on in-game items that are truly "just a jpeg".

Barnslig

Why not branch out into NFTs?

This club stopped being about football and winning once the Glazers took over.

We’re a joke.
So in your opinion we should stop trying to innovate and create new revenue streams for the club, because we haven't won the league in a while?

Ixion

So in your opinion we should stop trying to innovate and create new revenue streams for the club, because we haven't won the league in a while?
We should focus on getting the football side back on it's feet rather than focus on our brand

Lentwood

Agreed. One of my favourite games of all time is Counter-Strike, and I'll admit to having spent stupid amounts of money on in-game skins over the years, stupid money that Valve can take away at any moment, and were never really mine to begin with, with NFTs people can now have true ownership of their in-game items, spend time, effort and upgrade or add to their items and earn real life money from it, still people can't see the value in the technology, but they'd spend hundreds or thousands on in-game items that are truly "just a jpeg".
The bit I find really interesting about that is Blockchain-based gaming, combined with NFTs, will enable people in low-income areas to forge genuine careers out of play-to-earn.

Imagine I live in a low-income area with few job opportunities. I could take the decision to invest in a good gaming console and then spend 8-10hrs a day playing a game. Could be anything, depending where I think the money is. When I have earnt loads of tokens/assets, created strong characters. found rare characters/weapons/items whatever I can then sell them on an online marketplace to lazy kids in rich areas who can't be bothered to put the time in but want the best chance of beating the game or having a strong team

Barnslig

We should focus on getting the football side back on it's feet rather than focus on our brand
I mean it's not like Ralf and Ronaldo will be working on this, there are hundreds of employees at United and subcontractors that could be hired for individual projects that have zero impact on the footballing aspect.

Barnslig

The bit I find really interesting about that is Blockchain-based gaming, combined with NFTs, will enable people in low-income areas to forge genuine careers out of play-to-earn.

Imagine I live in a low-income area with few job opportunities. I could take the decision to invest in a good gaming console and then spend 8-10hrs a day playing a game. Could be anything, depending where I think the money is. When I have earnt loads of tokens/assets, created strong characters. found rare characters/weapons/items whatever I can then sell them on an online marketplace to lazy kids in rich areas who can't be bothered to put the time in but want the best chance of beating the game or having a strong team
This is already happening in the Philippines with Axie Infinity and other games

Eli Zee

Why would anyone want to buy one unless it will increase in value or has real world value attached to it (for example, if owning one means you can meet and greet that player or the team during the season)?
If not for the two reasons above, why not just take a screen shot of the image they will sell you as an NFT?

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Deloitte happen to disagree with your analysis - https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/ins...chain-potential/global-blockchain-survey.html

So do PwC - https://www.pwc.co.uk/blockchain.html

So do Gartner - https://www.gartner.com/en/information-technology/insights/blockchain

Of course, I am being slightly flippant here, but I don't really know where to begin with your post. It's just a statement of your opinion, based on what exactly?
Deloitte and PWC have consultancy divisions that sell Blockchain nonsense to people that dont understand that is all nonsense

Lentwood

Why would anyone want to buy one unless it will increase in value or has real world value attached to it (for example, if owning one means you can meet and greet that player or the team during the season)?
If not for the two reasons above, why not just take a screen shot of the image they will sell you as an NFT?
Well, in response to your first point, purchasing an NFT can and often does result in 'membership benefits'. There's no reason why United couldn't do something similar. You could either sell off rare NFTs that had special privileges to the highest bidder, or you could take a more egalitarian approach and assign special benefits to certain NFTs at random, so that it became a 'golden ticket' style lottery.

Secondly, we have already talked about the fact that humans are innately drawn to collect things. Your 'why wouldn't people just take a screenshot' is misguided...did you ever collect Panini stickers when you were a kid? If so, why did you bother buying packets of stickers in order to find the rare stickers you needed to complete your album? Why didn't you just make your own sticker, or take a photo/screenshot of a sticker? Why didn't you just go on eBay and buy all the stickers you needed?

Remember, as I said to another poster earlier, collecting is meant to be fun, and we don't have to take the extreme examples of NFTs going for hundreds of thousands of pounds and use those to rubbish the idea. I can definitely see a marketplace for fans to pay £5 for a 'packet' of NFTs, which can be stored in an digital album, with the objection being to collect them all.

I feel like some people are failing to understand perspective of others. Just because you might not be into collecting, doesn't mean others wouldn't be.

Lentwood

Deloitte and PWC have consultancy divisions that sell Blockchain nonsense to people that dont understand that is all nonsense
So, your argument is that, through their own volition, PwC and Deloitte set-up entire divisions to cater for the sale, implementation and support of an unnecessary technology, which offers no benefits to business, purely with the attitude of 'well, we'll sell it to idiots'?

I have no desire to convert people into Blockchain disciples, I really don't care to be honest. I just find it strange that Blockchain is such a polarising topic. I don't understand why people who claim they don't care or see it as pointless feel the need to pop-up and comment, and not really take the time to actually understand it, beyond the media headlines.

If United want to mint NFTs and people want to buy them, so what?