Should the World Cup have a ‘rest of the world team’?

Glorio

I'm not arguing about that and I totally understand the difficulty to reach the World Cup, I'm just saying as a neutral that I want a high-level competition with the best teams possible. It would have been a better World Cup with teams like Italy, Sweden, Turkey or Norway.
I.e. the Euros Part 2 masquerading as a world cup? No thanks

Pscholes18

Thinking about all the players who are missing from this World Cup like Salah, Haaland etc and other players from the past like Best, Giggs and Di Stefano who could have lit up the tournament.

Wouldn’t be the same as winning it for your country but to be involved nonetheless and be called a World Cup winner. Would be quite a wild card entry.
Are your bored?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not arguing about that and I totally understand the difficulty to reach the World Cup, I'm just saying as a neutral that I want a high-level competition with the best teams possible. It would have been a better World Cup with teams like Italy, Sweden, Turkey or Norway.
Again elitism.

This WC has shown that Saudi can beat Argentina, Japan can Beat Germany, and Korea can hold Uruguay

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Given how open FIFA are to the occasional off the books payment, I could see a Europe XI vs Concaf XI or AFC XI in the future for seasons without major tournaments. It’s about as pointless as the Nations League. Not at a WC though.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Again elitism.

This WC has shown that Saudi can beat Argentina, Japan can Beat Germany, and Korea can hold Uruguay
The same argument can be held against Costa Rica, Australia and Iran that showed the opposite.

I'm not saying to cut places from other continents just some play-offs to give the competition a higher level. I'm sure that South Korea or Japan could have knocked out teams like Sweden, Norway or Turkey.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think the 3rd place playoff game should be 2 games against the rest of the world XI and a tie breaker between the 2 losing semi-finalists if they both win. Effectively make them like the house robots in Robot Wars.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The same argument can be held against Costa Rica, Australia and Iran that showed the opposite.

I'm not saying to cut places from other continents just some play-offs to give the competition a higher level. I'm sure that South Korea or Japan could have knocked out teams like Sweden, Norway or Turkey.
So on the top of extremely brutal qualifications, we also have another play off against the European left overs, practically giving them another chance at the expense of Asian team?

Zlatattack

Maybe a charity game the summer after - World Cup winners vs rest of the world?

Sgreddevil

I think would be a nice exhibition match. Can potentially add one more game after the finals. Let the winner play a game with the rest of the world. Generate additional revenue for charity and get a chance to see other good players who may not be in a strong country to qualify for world cup.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So on the top of extremely brutal qualifications, we also have another play off against the European left overs, practically giving them another chance at the expense of Asian team?
I know you won't agree with me, but yes, I want to see the best teams possible at the WC and like it or not, the best are European teams, bar Brazil and Argentina.
You say that Asian teams have brutal qualification matches but what about the euro qualifications when 2 big teams are drawn in the same group eg. France and Portugal.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I know you won't agree with me, but yes, I want to see the best teams possible at the WC and like it or not, the best are European teams, bar Brazil and Argentina.
You say that Asian teams have brutal qualification matches but what about the euro qualifications when 2 big teams are drawn in the same group eg. France and Portugal.
That's more like it. Say it as it is and spare us the oh that's not what i meant

I'd rather watch teams like Jamaica, Costa Rica, and many other fresh unique teams bringing their culture along with playing football instead of the same old big names. That's why it's called the world cup. Not European cup

Revan

Assumptionman
Who cares? It's called a world cup
World Cup, but it should be based on meritocracy. If teams are shit, they shouldn’t be in World Cup just cause they come from under-represented regions. Until they become good at football.

Ideally it should be a worldwide qualification, but that is completely infeasible.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Just merge it with the Olympics and let everyone and his brother have a go.
I'm dreading the effects of this change as well. Qualifying for the WC is an actual achievement, not sure that will be the case anymore. And FIFA are never going back, too much money in expansions.

El Zoido

They should just expand it to all 195 countries and let everyone join. Have the tournament take place over an entire year. It’s not fair that someone misses out.

Verward

Nope. A lot of those big names play for countries that are capable of qualifying for the World Cup. Why should they be rewarded for failure?
Yes, but the competition is high and there is a allocation for every continent so not possible for every good country to qualify. Plus this is a team game, so it is not possible for good player to make their country qualify on their own all time. So it is definitely a nice idea but it would have same problem as qualifying teams. For example, if there is allocation of players based on continents then it is still possible that some good players would still miss out.

Moriarty

I'm dreading the effects of this change as well. Qualifying for the WC is an actual achievement, not sure that will be the case anymore. And FIFA are never going back, too much money in expansions.
True. I don't know about you but I've never felt so alienated from a sport I grew up loving. A lot of it leaves me cold.

Glorio

World Cup, but it should be based on meritocracy. If teams are shit, they shouldn’t be in World Cup just cause they come from under-represented regions. Until they become good at football.

Ideally it should be a worldwide qualification, but that is completely infeasible.
Agree that it's infeasible, disagree with the overall point.

The actual tournament should have competitors from all over the world. If you (not you specifically obviously) can't qualify from your region, that's your own failure. Own it.

There are already quotas that try to consider the strengths of various confederations, that's more than enough

arnie_ni

Best of the rest could play the WC winner in a charity friendly game to raise funds for a worthy cause in the winning countries home nation

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
No thanks.

If such thing happens, there is no point in qualifying to a WC then.

Anyways the next WC will be shit cause 48 teams, so is gonna feel like a total different WC with way less quality overall, if games are already boring in this one with 32 teams, imagine 48 teams.

WC should have stayed at 24 teams IMO, the UEFA also made the "mistake" of expanding the Euro to 24 teams and quality of group stage now is poor.