Should United be considered favourites going in to Sunday? (Tactical Analysis)

Rustyspider13

I don't think United are favorites at Anfield, even with our away form. Liverpool will be well rested and will come at us with everything they have, we need to match their intensity to have a chance.

I'd line up with 4-3-1-2 with Bruno as False 9 and Pogba added to the Fred-McT midfield. One of Greenwood/Cavani to partner Rashford if Martial is unavailable. For me, the key battles will be-

AWB+McT vs. Mane+Robertson: I think Mane is their most dangerous player and will more unpredictable then Salah who will probably shoot at every opportunity. Both AWB and McT will have to time their tackles right as any contact will mean Mane goes down and gets a dangerous freekick or penalty.

Fred+McT+Pogba+Bruno vs. Thiago+Henderson+Wijnaldum: This is the big one for me. The midfield that deals with the press better will be the one to win. No silly giveaways and good interceptions from Fred will be the key to set up counters. They will obviously be wary of Bruno and Pogba so this opens up an opportunity for one of Fred and McT to step up and pick out a forward. They don't have to be completely precise, just an over the top ball in a good direction will do.

Rashford vs. Allison: I'd pick Rashford to beat anyone not named Fabinho in their defense and then it's up to him to find the corner. He hasn't exactly been prolific this season, but he can be a lethal finisher on his day. Hope tomorrow is one of those days.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
One point would be lovely, but I just have a feeling about this one. We havent had a game where we were clinical with our chances for a while, and we are due one.

I'm going to say 2-0 up at half time. Ultimately winning 3-1.

Olecurls99

To negate Liverpool's attacking potential and to provide us with plenty of attacking potential ourselves I think we need a 4-3-1-2.

4 defenders so 1 of our centre backs can provide cover against their fantastic front 3. 3 shifting midfielders to handle the burden of their full backs and attacking midfielders. An attacking midfielder and 2 pacy forwards to get at their holding midfielder and slowish centre backs.

Defense picks itself
De Gea
Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw

The shifting midfield needs legs and composure.
Mctominay Matic Fred
When the ball is coming down their right Fred goes to Arnold and Matic and Mctominay hold midfield and vice versa when going down their left. Scotty against Robertson should be a good old ding dong.

An attack of Fernandes, Rashford and Martial with no defensive duties should cause real problems for Liverpool's deepest 3 players.
We have our best chance with that team.

Tony247

Cannot, should not play 3 forwards. Need matic and pogba in deep. Play martial up front for speed and dribbling. I would actually like to see Diallo on right with 4-2-3-1.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don't think last year Liverpool had to real deal with major injuries, they were in good form the for around 6 months, and they were out of the CL too.

As dominant and as great as Liverpool are, they don't even come close to some of the Fergie era United teams.

Liverpool are a great side, but they are not the same as some of the PL greatest teams.The current state they're also beatable.

On paper and form currently, United are stronger. BUT its Liverpools game to lose.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm really worried about our vulnerability on the flanks if we play the diamond. It basically means we have no attacking threat on the right, and exposes us to Liverpool doubling up on our fullbacks. I think if we play that system our two forwards may have to play very wide, and have Bruno playing as effectively a false nine.
The diamond does help us congest the middle but as you’ve pointed out their bigger threats are in wider areas - I guess out of possession we could shift back into a 4-4-2 to ensure full backs get protected - So you end up with say Rashford and McTominay as your wide midfielders as Pogba moves centrally. Or Pogba goes as LM and Bruno drops back alongside Fred and McTominay goes right allowing Cavani and Rashford freedom to focus on countering when we get the ball.

No issue with Bruno as false 9 or anywhere in that space between their midfield and defence - Fulham for example got a lot of joy from that as Hendo lacks the defensive IQ for that position and can be vulnerable there.

crossy1686

career ending
Absolutely not favourites and when has that tag ever mattered before when playing Liverpool? They've beaten us when they weren't even in the top 4 and we were winning league titles. Tags mean absolutely nothing in this fixture.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don't think any team can be considered favorites going to Anfield (as sick as that makes me feel saying it) when you look at their record. With the injuries they have at the back we can definitely give them a game though. A draw would be a great result.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Couple of comments after watching that clip in the OP:
  • I am sure we won't go with 4-2-3-1 because it would require Rashford and Martial to work hard defensively, and Marcus seems a bit tired lately while Anthony is useless in that areas. We could do that if we started James who is an option I hope we don't choose, because he'll be running like a headless chicken chasing the ball-Liverpool are too good at keeping possession.
  • Liverpoll will have 60% of the ball (especially if Thiago plays, and I hope he does). This means we will need Pogba deep supporting Shaw and looking for a lost ball to start a counter. McTominay will be focused on breaking the play and just getting the ball forward on opposite side. There will be fraction of second to make a move every time we have the ball, so don't expect easy-on-the-eye game.
  • I think it's not that obvious which one of Martial or Cavani should start. I trust Cavani more these days, but if we're going for counter attacks we need to reconsider. I'd still go with Edinson.
  • I don't agree with the point that Liverpool crossing will be ineffective against us. I've been talking about that many times already, opposition teams target Wan Bissaka on long post, and AWB is completely lost once the ball is in the air. Expect A LOT of crosses from TAA and Salah towards AWB side.
  • We need to be careful with pressing high as Liverpool wide players are really fast and with Thiago in midfield, there will be a lot of attempts to lob the backline while we try to squeeze them.
In general our best chances to score is via a counter or a set piece. Liverpool will work hard in midfield so we need to play McFred in there. I don't think either Liverpool or United are in very good form these days, so anything can happen but for sure we're not a favourite in this game.

One more thing, I think it's great that in some of those analysis United are currently considered on the same level as Liverpool. Is it me or the clip author (Pythagoras in Boots) is a United fan?

dal

Pogba upfront for me, Rashford on the left, Greenwood on the right. Put Pogba on Fabinho and see who wins.

Swap with Rashford at times too, Pogba is on form aswell, he’ll drop into pockets and use his strength, he must play in the front three.

Scott and Fred to do the dirty work, Bruno and Pogba to provide the craft.

Please god, do not play a diamond.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's impossible to label either team favourites for a game like this as tactics, form and league don't position enter the equation. It's just a matter of who's more up for it on the day.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
A very interesting thread and definitely some very interesting posts.

This whole penalty conversation started by Klopp will definitely play a huge role in the sense that Refs will be cautious enough to not deny home team any penalty that should be one even if it’s a 50/50 or 60/40 in Liverpool’s favour. Specially considering how Mane was denied one recently.

Hence my assumption is our first priority will be to go for a draw and play solid defensively rather than a win and just ensure we maintain a 3 point gap on Liverpool. Which means we’ll most likely be avoiding any adventurous 1v1s where Mane can bully AWB or Salah on Shaw.

Having said that I still think we’re finally due a game where we’re more clinical with our chances and since Liverpool’s defence is not their best possible lineup, we may still win this game as we’ll have our own fair share of chances on counters or set pieces. So it’s not entirely impossible that we don’t come away with a win.

My prediction is Mcfred were given a break to be as fresh as the liverpool midfielders who’ve had a week off and will be running around like mad dogs. So they’ll definitely play along with Pogba & Bruno.

Ole’s biggest conundrum will be to decide who plays alongside Rashford. Cavani or Martial. Each provides a different threat. Martial with his delicate touches/runs whereas Cavani with his clinical finishing. But if we’re planning to play the way I’ve predicted which is mostly on counter and defensively solid then Martial should start. Cavani can come on second half. Along with Greenwood. If we’re chasing.
Edit: I believe this conundrum will be solved based on how they both performed in training this past week. If Martial has proved he’s sharp and focused despite his recent performances, he’ll get the green light ahead of Cavani.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We weren't favourites playing at Anfield when Sir Alex was here and they had Roy Hodgson ffs. Its just a ground we have pretty much always been terrible on, apart from that one good performance by LvG when Mata and Herrera dominated them. Thats literally it. Fans or no fans, it still has an impact against them.

I would bite your hand off for a draw. And let's not get ahead of ourselves. They're a top team and have been dominant the last 3 years. We were good this past year but this season have struggled massively in big games, and LvG aside have struggled massively against Liverpool.

Walters_19_MuFc

In terms of form, absolutely, but despite not matching the standards they've set in the last couple of seasons, Liverpool are obviously a top team and formidable at home.

Will be a tough game but hopefully we can exploit their weaknesses and come away with something.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Unfortunately, against a top quality team, as we saw against City the other week, we’re not as good as we had started to think we were. Grinding out a 1-0 win against Burnley away is one thing. Getting anything at Anfield is another.

Walters_19_MuFc

We have been awful in big games all season and just got dicked by City on our own turf.

Liverpool has been unbeaten at home for a gazillion matches and has won most of their big games so far emphatically.

There’s no reality in which we are ‘favourites’ going into this match.
PSG
Leipzig
City (league)

They were all big games.

Spurs was completely the wrong personnel.
We were hardly 'dicked' by City. They scored two goals from set-pieces.
PSG game we lost, we could have easily been 3 or 4 ahead if we took our chances
Poor against Leipzig but when we changed the system we showed what we could have done had Ole not gone with the 352 system (hoping he doesn't do that tomorrow).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Cannot, should not play 3 forwards. Need matic and pogba in deep. Play martial up front for speed and dribbling. I would actually like to see Diallo on right with 4-2-3-1.
Big call to be starting Diallo in a game of this size of the bat. Do not see it happening. Also would not want Matic to be used in a game like this, far too fast paced for him especially in the first half.

Couple of comments after watching that clip in the OP:
  • I am sure we won't go with 4-2-3-1 because it would require Rashford and Martial to work hard defensively, and Marcus seems a bit tired lately while Anthony is useless in that areas. We could do that if we started James who is an option I hope we don't choose, because he'll be running like a headless chicken chasing the ball-Liverpool are too good at keeping possession.
  • Liverpoll will have 60% of the ball (especially if Thiago plays, and I hope he does). This means we will need Pogba deep supporting Shaw and looking for a lost ball to start a counter. McTominay will be focused on breaking the play and just getting the ball forward on opposite side. There will be fraction of second to make a move every time we have the ball, so don't expect easy-on-the-eye game.
  • I think it's not that obvious which one of Martial or Cavani should start. I trust Cavani more these days, but if we're going for counter attacks we need to reconsider. I'd still go with Edinson.
  • I don't agree with the point that Liverpool crossing will be ineffective against us. I've been talking about that many times already, opposition teams target Wan Bissaka on long post, and AWB is completely lost once the ball is in the air. Expect A LOT of crosses from TAA and Salah towards AWB side.
  • We need to be careful with pressing high as Liverpool wide players are really fast and with Thiago in midfield, there will be a lot of attempts to lob the backline while we try to squeeze them.
In general our best chances to score is via a counter or a set piece. Liverpool will work hard in midfield so we need to play McFred in there. I don't think either Liverpool or United are in very good form these days, so anything can happen but for sure we're not a favourite in this game.

One more thing, I think it's great that in some of those analysis United are currently considered on the same level as Liverpool. Is it me or the clip author (Pythagoras in Boots) is a United fan?
  • Starting James against a team like Liverpool would be a cheap tactic that will backfire - agreed.
  • McTominay has a big role to play tomorrow - if we do go diamond, he'll need to keep an eye on Thiago as well as Robertson.
  • I hope he goes with Cavani but that is probably my FPL bias kicking in, but I do think he's earnt a start for a game of this magntitude and their backline is vulnerable, who better to take advantage than a battle-hardened CF?
  • Yeah I think the point on AWB's aerial weaknesses is a valid one. Mane has a 44% aerial success rate in duels.. and Firmino might drift to the left to avoid Maguire.
  • Yep - it is my channel and am a United fan. I usually find it hard to back United for big games but the loss of Matip and the way the team's match up tactically, it is perfectly set for a smash and grab.. but it is Anfield, it is Liverpool and the safer option would be to go for a Liverpool win.

Crustanoid

No chance we are favourites.

Liverpool have a better squad
Liverpool have more established tactics and are much further on in their project
Klopp
Their home record
They are due a win

I'm just happy we're going into the match close to them in the table - first time for a while.

A draw would be outstanding

Siorac

Liverpool are heavy favourites and anything less than a two-goal home win would be a surprise. I'd sell my soul for a draw.

passing-wind

I think our record against the top 6 this year in the league has been shaky. Largely depends on how we set up, I still don't see our teams obvious strengths in possession under Solskjaers management but are good in transition. Our good form against the top clubs last season was solely based on that approach. So it will most likely be deployed by the manager.

No chance are considered the favourites.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think most of us would take a draw from this one!

However, they're in dodgy form, we're top of the league, there's no rabid crowd, and VAR rules out any "homer" decisions, so you could also say we haven't had a better chance of a result there in a while. Although they are on a massive long unbeaten run there and we haven't beaten anyone of note in the league which is worrying.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think them having a game against Villa's kids then 10 days off makes them strong favourites.
The break last season seemed to kill their flow for a bit.
Hopefully they're rusty, and weren't in great form before hand.

However, they certainly will be up for it in this one! Just hope it's Milner or some kid at the back.

Jackal

Short answer is no.

Liverpool are very strong at Anfield. They have not lost a Premier League game there since April 2017.

A draw is the most likely result we could get there and if Lindelof starts instead of Bailly then it's a loss even before the ball is kicked.

Red Royal

I think them having a game against Villa's kids then 10 days off makes them strong favourites.
Am I the only one to think that may cause them an issue... the fact we have played and won a tough game on Tuesday may have kept us match ready.5 days rest should be fine. Probably why Klopp didn't play the kids vs Villa babies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It would be an unbelievably brave call to play the diamond tomorrow. It makes no sense to concede the flanks unless we are actually hoping to encourage their full backs forward so we can attack the space in behind them. I can see Liverpool dominating possession if we go that way.

For me, nothing too fancy. Theres no need to complicate things. 4312. Pogba can't be left out after his performance the other night, so he will sit in alongside McFred (with some freedom) and Bruno will play as a false 9, sitting on Thiago when out of possession but also having freedom to look for space either side when we are moving forwards. Rashford and Martial/Cavani will peel wide and fall into any space left by the two full backs. He might even go with Greenwood tomorrow.

Sit in and contain. Liverpool will be terrified of our pace upfront with their defence, and we know that TAA and Robertson will always be mindful of leaving that space. Im expecting a cagey game tomorrow, but the optimistic in me can see us taking a couple of early chances and seeing this home 3-1

Olecurls99

Tempering my expectations this morning. We've been on a great run of results and performances. Nothing wrong with losing to a really good team. And our last 2 bad performances were Leipzig and Arsenal. Nothing to lose. Let's go for it

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Big call to be starting Diallo in a game of this size of the bat. Do not see it happening. Also would not want Matic to be used in a game like this, far too fast paced for him especially in the first half.

• Starting James against a team like Liverpool would be a cheap tactic that will backfire - agreed.
  • McTominay has a big role to play tomorrow - if we do go diamond, he'll need to keep an eye on Thiago as well as Robertson.
  • I hope he goes with Cavani but that is probably my FPL bias kicking in, but I do think he's earnt a start for a game of this magntitude and their backline is vulnerable, who better to take advantage than a battle-hardened CF?
  • Yeah I think the point on AWB's aerial weaknesses is a valid one. Mane has a 44% aerial success rate in duels.. and Firmino might drift to the left to avoid Maguire.
  • Yep - it is my channel and am a United fan. I usually find it hard to back United for big games but the loss of Matip and the way the team's match up tactically, it is perfectly set for a smash and grab.. but it is Anfield, it is Liverpool and the safer option would be to go for a Liverpool win.
Nice. Good job on the video.

One general comment on the stats you provided. Instead of showing stats for full season (passes / pressing etc) I think ot would be more accurate to analyze last 3 games or games against top opponents/smaller sides. We set up different way depending on opponent/fitness, don't know about Liverpool though.

Counterfactual

There's no way we should be considered favourites going into this match. Liverpool are a good team, the current champions and are unbeaten at home in the league for nearly four years.

I think the forum excitement level comes from the perception of us being closer to their ability level for the first time in years. That still doesn't make us favourites, it just means we may be able to give them a game.

Havak

Pokemon master
I don't really think any team is going to be favourites at Anfield for a while. They'll have to lose & draw a few games there in the league first, along with not winning the Premier League or Champion's League for a couple of seasons before this changes. Only then can you say they really are 'off it' a bit IMO and then maybe teams like ourselves, City or others could potentially be slight favourites going away to them.

I'd outright say that any team going to Anfield is going be the underdog with the bookies though. Come back when that is ever different.

Caerus Little

Supports
Competition and Underdogs
From what I've seen, Liverpool lack urgency and look exhausted. Motivation took a hit and luck seems mostly gone. Skill can carry a team only some distance.

I cannot tell if this makes ManUnited favourites, but they look sharp and have that glow in their eyes. I can see a wide variety of result. A stomping on either side, or a boring draw. I just hope for a fair match and result.

SeanyC

2-1 united, quietly confident! Have to start fast though, win second balls, don’t let them dictate the play. Do that we have a chance. Let’s go united!!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Nice. Good job on the video.

One general comment on the stats you provided. Instead of showing stats for full season (passes / pressing etc) I think ot would be more accurate to analyze last 3 games or games against top opponents/smaller sides. We set up different way depending on opponent/fitness, don't know about Liverpool though.
Noted although I wanted to highlight that Thiago apart they generally struggle to create anything via central areas and generally speaking even McFred are more purposeful with their passes than Hendo or Gini.

Also wanted to demonstrate that we could be better at working the ball into the final third - the absence of which means we lack control of games and hence why we have patches in games where we get our goals rather than large passages of play where we keep opponents under pressure.

Lineups will play a key role in the result. The good and negative thing with United is you can never really predict how we are going to lineup.