Should we be worried about Rashford?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Hasn't been the same since the restart. Feel like most people think it's just bad form but given he came back from a long term injury and he's been bad since then shouldn't we be worried?

RUCK4444

Yeah hasn't looked good at all since the restart. Bit of a worry.

Doesn't influence himself enough on games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hasn't been the same since the restart. Feel like most people think it's just bad form but given he came back from a long term injury and he's been bad since then shouldn't we be worried?
Surely the fact he’s just back from a long term injury means we’ve less reason to be worried. It can take a dozen games for a player to get back to their best after being out as long as Rashford was.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Back injuries take awhile to come back fully from, no?

Stretender

He will get in the team regardless because:

1. He is MBE
2. He was born in Manchester
3. Ole is not as strong as Jose not to select him

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
RVP said last season that he had a similar back injury at 19 (stress fracture in lower back) as Rashford has had and it stayed with him forever, a weak spot that had to be managed for the rest of his career.

Van Persie on Rashford: ''When I was about late 18 I made my debut, after I made my debut I played another six months. Then I had a similar injury, a stress fracture in my lower back. I was out with that for four months.

You can’t really do much, just rest and let it heal. But it is a difficult one because it always stays a little bit of a weak spot.'' ''Even now, it is not that I’m like in pain or something, but it’s a sensitive area. So you have to be really careful with that.”
I don't think it's a coincidence that his game has changed since his injury. He's deeper, more of a creator and no longer the all-action forward he used to be. He still has his bursts of pace, but he's a lot more subdued than before his injury i've noticed. Whether he is going to be like this from now on, or he will be able to get back to his previous level given time we will have to see, but yeah I'm concerned.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It that's still an issue, which I hope it isn't, then him playing so much is definitely not going to help. I hope there are some sensible people at the club managing players' welfare.

Frank White

He will get in the team regardless because:

1. He is MBE
2. He was born in Manchester
3. Ole is not as strong as Jose not to select him
:boring: Just no. It's more likely because we:
1. Don't have adequate replacements
2. Martial is suspended
3. See 1. we don't play Rashford we'll be seeing Ighalo or James play and even though he's struggled lately (who hasn't) he's still better than both of them.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Thing with Rashford is he’s capable of real quality and I do feel his periods of poor form are becoming shorter. The worry for me is the fact he’s so poor at the simple things. He still runs the ball out of play, overhits so many passes and gives the ball away so often. Needs to work on pure basics rather than trying to master the Ronaldo dead ball technique.

He so obviously suffers with confidence issues like most top strikers but most will resort to doing the basics and doing them well and that will build their confidence. As you say since the restart he has just been incredibly sloppy every game but he has in many periods at United and then when he’s on form he looks like he could be an unreal player. Still very young.

He'sRaldo

RVP said last season that he had a similar back injury at 19 (stress fracture in lower back) as Rashford has had and it stayed with him forever, a weak spot that had to be managed for the rest of his career.

I don't think it's a coincidence that his game has changed since his injury. He's deeper, more of a creator and no longer the all-action forward he used to be. He still has his bursts of pace, but he's a lot more subdued than before his injury i've noticed. Whether he is going to be like this from now on, or he will be able to get back to his previous level given time we will have to see, but yeah I'm concerned.
Damn.

Really hope the events last season didn't cause permanent damage. He really shouldn't have been risked like that.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
His form has always been so cyclical as opposed to some players who are crap one week and great then next, Rashford for me is always not great for months at a time then really good for a while. As he gets older he will naturally get more consistent.

March 2016 - September 2016 excellent
September 2016 - March 2017 pretty poor
March 2017 - September 2017 excellent
September 2017 - May 2018 hit and miss
August 2018 - September 2018 pretty poor
September 2018 - March 2019 good to unreal
March 2019 - October 2019 pretty poor
October 2019 - January 2020 absolutely excellent
January 2020 - June 2020 injured
June 2020 - October 2020 poor but still good moments

His MBE brand is starting to become a distraction.
I don't understand this line of thinking. Maybe it's because I work in Sports PR, but it's clear that Rashford's commitments likely haven't changed much. A couple more interviews maybe, as the face of the campaign, but that's it.

Kelly Hogarth writes his tweets and manages his social media accounts - as she does with all the high profile British based Roc Nation clients. Roc Nation have a department - one that's bigger than most entire agencies - who focus entirely on branding and profile enhancement through social justice and activism. They're the ones actually organising the campaign (FairShare, Supermarket Taskforce, 'Rashford's' Guardian editorial, the Vogue cover, Promotional Nike Boots, Setting up interviews etc)

There's been huge features in AdWeek and SportsPro (both media companies who focus on Sports PR) on Roc Nation and their success in trying to fuse together social justice and sport in order to boost their clients profiles. It's the reason Tyrone Mings began his Mental Health campaign the week after he signed with Roc. The reason AC Milan signed with them and literally 4 days later brought out #LoveIsLove Pride Month scarves and Twitter branding, despite never even acknowledging the event before on their socials (sadly their fans didn't react too well). The same reason you'll see Rashford, Reece James, Mings, Abraham (their latest client, who hasn't been announced yet) all tweeting near identical things about World Mental Health Day, World Smile Day, #SARS etc. The reason for the recent cross-promo from Rashford's account about Lukaku 'letting' him take the penalty.

Was the general assumption really that Rashford is drafting and writing all these Tweets every single day, setting up the entire campiagn by himself, contacting and meeting with supermarkets and politicians, organising his own media engagements and then fulfilling those media engagements? If that was the thinking, I can see why people might think it's a distraction - but it's so far from reality.

Rashford's commitments off field are definitely not an issue.

I still think he's carrying an injury. A fractured back doesn't seem like one that you come back from 100% - not right away, or even six months down the line. He'll be back. He's struggling right now, but we just need to be patient. He's given us enough in the past to earn some patience and some backing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Varun

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

This is why I think Rashford's ability now isnt going to be as a winger anymore and he has to play as a forward.

I don't think he has the full range of movement he had before his injury and he needs to rely on being a more predatory type player to get the best of him.

I've dropped my Hope's for LW type games we saw last season but I hope to see him as a LS with Greenwood on the other side because I think he can build towards that better.

His LW form has also severely effected Martial's ability to interlink with him and play from deep - it's clear to see when watching matches.

Bebestation

Cant believe their are questionable IQ people who blame Rashford on his charity works more than a double stress fracture on the back. :houllier:

Last edited:

432JuanMata

I think he’s a good player and has the right attitude to keep getting better but even up to when he got the serious injury in January he was still hit and miss. He had 17 goals but I’m sure 8/9 where penalties(I know they still count). I feel if we are to get back to near the top and challenging he won’t be a starter, hope im wrong though

432JuanMata

This is why I think Rashford's ability now isnt going to be as a winger anymore and he has to play as a forward.

I don't think he has the full range of movement he had before his injury and he needs to rely on being a more predatory type player to get the best of him.

I've dropped my Hope's for LW type games we saw last season but I hope to see him as a LS with Greenwood on the other side because I think he can build towards that better.

His LW form has also severely effected Martial's ability to interlink with him and play from deep - it's clear to see when watching matches.
Well that is disappointing if he isn’t up too it as a winger because there is no way he will be good enough as striker for us we have seen it before

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did he play poorly against Denmark or something? I didn’t watch it. He’s not had a bad start to the season, especially considering how poor we’ve been as a side.
Our front three are all good players imo, they need better cover but they’re all really talented and we’re lucky to have them; didn’t they out score Liverpool’s front three last season?

Steven-UK

Quality control
Give over with that nonsense. How long are you going to give this lad excuses for?

He really isn't that good, and should spend more time focusing on his football, than spending other people's money on other people's kids.

Grande

I don't understand this line of thinking. Maybe it's because I work in Sports PR, but it's clear that Rashford's commitments likely haven't changed much. A couple more interviews maybe, as the face of the campaign, but that's it.

Kelly Hogarth writes his tweets and manages his social media accounts - as she does with all the high profile British based Roc Nation clients. Roc Nation have a department - one that's bigger than most entire agencies - who focus entirely on branding and profile enhancement through social justice and activism. They're the ones actually organising the campaign (FairShare, Supermarket Taskforce, 'Rashford's' Guardian editorial, the Vogue cover, Promotional Nike Boots, Setting up interviews etc)

There's been huge features in AdWeek and SportsPro (both media companies who focus on Sports PR) on Roc Nation and their success in trying to fuse together social justice and sport in order to boost their clients profiles. It's the reason Tyrone Mings began his Mental Health campaign the week after he signed with Roc. The same reason you'll see Reece James, Mings, Abraham (their latest client, who hasn't been announced yet) all tweeting near identical things about World Mental Health Day, World Smile Day, #SARS etc. The reason for the recent cross-promo from Rashford's account about Lukaku 'letting' him take the penalty.

Was the general assumption really that Rashford is drafting and writing all these Tweets every single day, setting up the entire campiagn by himself, contacting and meeting with supermarkets and politicians, organising his own media engagements? If that was the thinking, I can see why people might think it's a distraction - but it's so far from reality.

I still think he's carrying an injury. A fractured back doesn't seem like one that you come back from 100% - not right away, or even six months down the line. He'll be back. He's struggling right now, but we just need to be patient. He's given us enough in the past to earn some.
While you clearly know more about this in general than me, I still have doubts Rashford is no more affected than, say,Reece James or Tyrone Mings. Not only was his activity in the lunch battle more self driven and expansive than the run of the mill charity activities, but knowing how much slight detractions of focus sometimes can affect young athletes at that level, I find it likely that the engagement in that campaign and attention of the MBE might get a 22 years old lad to lose his blinds for a while. There is a reason Fergie protected his fledglings from attention like that, and there is a reason he hated Posh Spice like the bubonic plague. Not saying it’s a dead cert, but it’s one of those things that can explain a loss of form, flow and confidence as sharp as the one we‘ve seen from Marcus between February and July.

Some kinds of injuries can explain it to, and what’s more - pne doesn’t rule out the other. Quite the contrary - being affected by one may compound the effects of the other and vice versa.

Regardless, I think the Rashford we are seeing now is going to give way to the pre-February version, but it may take a few months. With Maguire and Pogba also affected by their stuff, it’s bad, bad luck for Ole either way.

Deery

Dreary
Give over with that nonsense. How long are you going to give this lad excuses for?

He really isn't that good, and should spend more time focusing on his football, than spending other people's money on other people's kids.
Definitely a Liverpool fan in disguise

Steven-UK

Definitely a Liverpool fan in disguise
I've probably been to more live games at OT than you have watched on TV, pal.... I just don't see this stuff through rose-tinted glasses like many on this forum.

This is probably our poorest attack for 20 years when you really strip it down. Rashford?, Martial? They wouldn't get to clean the boots of our attackers of years gone by.

Rolaholic

Christ...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Here’s hoping you never lose that newbie status

Web of Bissaka

Maybe this is normal...

The lame convenient injury excuse aside, Rashford is usually not that consistent. He'll have bad games followed by good games and okay games in between. It's like a cycle.

Nothing to get worried about. His effort even in bad games is still good, appreciated.

Now if only we have more players to step-up when he's in poor or average form...

Bebestation

I'm telling you - I studied medicine the bloody injury is serious :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Why are people talking about his charity work when you all know shit all about medicine.

I really am not a big fan of our fan base.

archiebald

Does anyone know what actually happens to a player when they are stricken with a back injury the likes of what Rashford has - which attributes in particular are affected and may/may not return to what they were pre-injury?

I'm guessing he loses some pace and some overall body control and coordination. Hoping this does not detract from his game going forward as his touch and close control was never the best to begin with.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Do you think it could be affecting him more from a mental point of view and he's scared of really pushing himself for fear of re-injuring himself, or he's just not the same physically as before? I don't have any medical background so I'm far from an expert, but he doesnt look right at all to me.

I hope he's able to recover his previous level before his injury, as striker' Rashford wasn't the greatest last time we saw it let's be honest.

That's interesting about Martial. I have definately noticed we're much more static in attack and Martial isolated up front more than before, and because the runs in behind aren't as frequent him coming deep isn't as big of a threat as before. I believe that's partly why we're finding it so hard this season. Our intensity/sharpness in attack just isn't there.

Last edited:

Chief123

But we don’t need Sancho because we have players like Rashford.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm telling you - I studied medicine the bloody injury is serious :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Why are people talking about his charity work when you all know shit all about medicine.

I really am not a big fan of our fan base.
What do you know Doctor? I've played Football Manager for decades! Completely agree with your entire post, his form will return in time, this is just another example of why we need more options. To put less pressure on him and give him breaks when his fitness required. Alas, our owners seem to think otherwise.

lex talionis

Putting aside some of the disturbing posts on this thread, we shouldn’t worry too much about Rashford. But I do think he needs to be managed carefully. He’s lost some mobility since the injury and he may need more time to regain full fitness. A shame we don’t have the depth we need to give him more time off the pitch.

cptkeane1993

There's been huge features in AdWeek and SportsPro (both media companies who focus on Sports PR) on Roc Nation and their success in trying to fuse together social justice and sport in order to boost their clients profiles. It's the reason Tyrone Mings began his Mental Health campaign the week after he signed with Roc. The reason AC Milan signed with them and literally 4 days later brought out #LoveIsLove Pride Month scarves and Twitter branding, despite never even acknowledging the event before on their socials (sadly their fans didn't react too well). The same reason you'll see Rashford, Reece James, Mings, Abraham (their latest client, who hasn't been announced yet) all tweeting near identical things about World Mental Health Day, World Smile Day, #SARS etc. The reason for the recent cross-promo from Rashford's account about Lukaku 'letting' him take the penalty.

Was the general assumption really that Rashford is drafting and writing all these Tweets every single day, setting up the entire campiagn by himself, contacting and meeting with supermarkets and politicians, organising his own media engagements and then fulfilling those media engagements? If that was the thinking, I can see why people might think it's a distraction - but it's so far from reality.

I still think he's carrying an injury. A fractured back doesn't seem like one that you come back from 100% - not right away, or even six months down the line. He'll be back. He's struggling right now, but we just need to be patient. He's given us enough in the past to earn some patience and some backing.
Appreciate the insights from a Sports PR perspective. An eye opener for me.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

:lol:

Spoken like someone who hasn't gotten injured at the back before. You deserve a back injury so you know how debilitating it can be.

It's not his fault that he keeps getting picked when he should have been given more time off to rest and strengthen himself rather than being rushed back to play.

TrustInOle

People really should start getting banned for this bollocks. What he has done in the last year will always eclipse anything he will do on a football pitch. Priorities.

Deery

Dreary
Back injuries are serious and will stay with you for life

That’s really interesting to read kind of takes the shine of the MBE when you realise it’s all just a PR stunt.

It’s a bit unfair on fans as well building up something of a fake persona and making them believe he’s a lot better person than he potentially is, when in real life he could be a complete bastard that doesn’t particularly care about free meals for schools (not saying he does but you get want I mean).

Using the notable charities as well to further your brand is a bit annoying. It just goes to show in the world today it’s never as it seems to be.

Kinda pissed me off reading now that to be honest..

Also always thought Rashfords tweets were his own, another thing that pisses me off misleading fans again.

Last edited: