Should we be worried about Rashford?

SplitzMagic

The sooner he gets our kids school meals the better because then he'll be focussed on football.

How are you supposed to perform when you're thinking about nuggets, beans and potato smiley faces?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't understand this line of thinking. Maybe it's because I work in Sports PR, but it's clear that Rashford's commitments likely haven't changed much. A couple more interviews maybe, as the face of the campaign, but that's it.

Kelly Hogarth writes his tweets and manages his social media accounts - as she does with all the high profile British based Roc Nation clients. Roc Nation have a department - one that's bigger than most entire agencies - who focus entirely on branding and profile enhancement through social justice and activism. They're the ones actually organising the campaign (FairShare, Supermarket Taskforce, 'Rashford's' Guardian editorial, the Vogue cover, Promotional Nike Boots, Setting up interviews etc)

There's been huge features in AdWeek and SportsPro (both media companies who focus on Sports PR) on Roc Nation and their success in trying to fuse together social justice and sport in order to boost their clients profiles. It's the reason Tyrone Mings began his Mental Health campaign the week after he signed with Roc. The reason AC Milan signed with them and literally 4 days later brought out #LoveIsLove Pride Month scarves and Twitter branding, despite never even acknowledging the event before on their socials (sadly their fans didn't react too well). The same reason you'll see Rashford, Reece James, Mings, Abraham (their latest client, who hasn't been announced yet) all tweeting near identical things about World Mental Health Day, World Smile Day, #SARS etc. The reason for the recent cross-promo from Rashford's account about Lukaku 'letting' him take the penalty.

Was the general assumption really that Rashford is drafting and writing all these Tweets every single day, setting up the entire campiagn by himself, contacting and meeting with supermarkets and politicians, organising his own media engagements and then fulfilling those media engagements? If that was the thinking, I can see why people might think it's a distraction - but it's so far from reality.

Rashford's commitments off field are definitely not an issue.

I still think he's carrying an injury. A fractured back doesn't seem like one that you come back from 100% - not right away, or even six months down the line. He'll be back. He's struggling right now, but we just need to be patient. He's given us enough in the past to earn some patience and some backing.
Very good post.

simplyared

Some players reach their peak at an early age and don't improve much after that. Theo Walcott springs to mind. Certainly hope that's not the case with Marcus.

united for life

I think Rashford as an elite footballer who truly wants to be the best is over with. He's found a greater purpose than being a footballer, and he's using his considerable influence to make changes in our social policy.

A good comparison close to home would be maybe Mata (?) who sort of didn't quite excel as much when he was entering his prime years at United and really should've pushed to becoming De Bruyne's level, but didn't quite make it due to I believe his personal charitable priorities shifting away. I'm sure there are other better comparisons regardless.

Anyway, the great thing is he is so young, I'm sure he will become more motivated to becoming better as a footballer once society improves and child poverty in a 1st world country is completely eradicated
what he’s been doing off the pitch is inspiring. He has become a hero for thousands of young children and families.

nonetheless, his charitable work should not stop him from developing as a footballer. He’s still young and needs to grow into the player we all know he can be.

also, the success off the pitch should have nothing to do with team selections. Drop him, even of for james (Who is a better LW than he is a RW) or maybe martial on the left with cavani up front. He needs to earn his place.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just two assists and a goal for Rashford then.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This didn't age well
Nah it's a fair point OP made given the nature of the injury. It's not the typical "he's been shit for months now" post. It's brings up the discussion on how different injuries affect players differently (back injury becoming something you deal with your entire career possibly) and how players acclimate playing with such injuries.

Jaxa

Absolute mint tonight , took on that forward responsibility and made things happen, brilliant performance!

united for life

Brilliant performance tonight. Need consistency now more than anything. From the whole team, not just marcus

Red_toad

Absolute mint tonight , took on that forward responsibility and made things happen, brilliant performance!
To be honest he should keep the striker slot based on that performance. Gave the team a target, retained the ball, scored and laid on chances for others.

Toad

I’m definitely the minority but I just didn’t see it today. Some poor decision making and his typical outside the box shots that aren’t going in as well as offsides. He is like Ibrahimovic in that respect offside too much. Got his goal and brace of assists. First assist was quality under pressure but everything else was done when he had space and Newcastle were chasing. Although end of the day he helped with our GD. Probably get some stick for this :rolleyes:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Still stood on the ball too much but his link up with Bruno and Mata was a joy to behold. Just go for the throat though Marcus, teams shit themselves when you're running at them. Don't slow it down unless you've no other option.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Great game, there is a reason he plays regularly for us and England.

OneUnited24

It’s scary that he’s only 22 (23 in a few weeks) feels like he’s been around for ages. Just reinforces to me that we have to be patient with him. He has all the attributes to be a potential worldie.

I still think he’s feeling that back injury. I don’t care who you are, coming back from an injury like that You can’t expect to come back like nothing ever happened. Hopefully this performance will kick start his season and get back to the heights of last season.

CG1010

He was great today.. the best player of the match for me. Even besides his 2 assists and a goal, he was constantly a threat, combining well with Mata and Bruno.

Red00012

Easily his best performance since he returned from injury .

Which wouldn’t be difficult mind

JB7

I’m definitely the minority but I just didn’t see it today. Some poor decision making and his typical outside the box shots that aren’t going in as well as offsides. He is like Ibrahimovic in that respect offside too much. Got his goal and brace of assists. First assist was quality under pressure but everything else was done when he had space and Newcastle were chasing. Although end of the day he helped with our GD. Probably get some stick for this :rolleyes:
Hope he plays just as badly on Tuesday. Imagine only getting a goal & two assists, poor show.

Hope he plays just as badly on Tuesday. Imagine only getting a goal & two assists, poor show.
and getting a penalty...

I don’t know whether it’s our fans, football fans or just people in general these days who overreact at everything, and demand everything should be good in this moment, and don’t give anything time?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He was one of our best players against Brighton, was very good off the bench against Luton and Brighton in the cup, had no chance against Spurs as a solitary figure up top post sending off, was good for England and arguably our best player today. So aside from one very poor performance against palace he’s probably been our best player this season. He looks far better now than he did post lockdown which isn’t surprising considering he was coming off the back of a major back injury and the schedule was insane. Rashford isn’t a worry at all. What I’m worried about is how we find a balance and structure out of possession to get the best out of what is a very talented attacking squad.

eire-red

Just imagine how much he'd be worth if we were chasing him in the transfer market all summer. Quality performance tonight, he looked quick, strong and his hold up and link up was brilliant too.

When he's in that kind of form he's a joy to watch, and looks like he can make something happen every time he gets the ball. Just needs consistency, and to steer clear of injury and he'll have a big season I think.

SSSSnake

He’s getting back to form finally. Looked so sharp and great run and finish near the end. Was a bit worried for him in case that injury was still there.

Oldyella

Some great moments but I dont think he was as good as some others are saying. But! He was much better than recent weeks and he hasn't played as our furthest forward player for a while. Hope he keeps the spot, he deserves it for now.

Toad

I’m basing it over the entire hame, he was pretty awful if you don’t include the last 10 minutes. Last 10 minutes he was good. I’m not going to change my opinion of his performance based on a last 10 minute spell where he had acres of space because Newcastle were chasing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It was the first match since his injury where he looked 'normal'. Every other match, even the couple where he played decently, he looked tentative and second guessing himself as if he had no confidence in himself. Which is pretty much the exact opposite of his normal problem he can have when he's not playing well, where he can keep trying to do too much himself and forcing things to happen only to fail every time (hence the 'burst his bubble' thread). The fact that he was playing so differently, both in playstyle and mentality, was quite worrying and made you think that maybe the injury might be impacting him, but finally we saw the normal Rashford again.

Eager to take people on and drive with the ball, looking for opportunities to shoot (but happy to pass it on when others were in better positions), it was good to see. Hopefully it's the start of him kicking back into form again.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Thought he looked electric but just decision making let him down yet he made up for it with that assist.

Roux

Great from him last night - i just wish he wouldn't hesitate and stop when hes running towards the box on a counter attack - that split second usually ends up with defenders closing in on him. He did it 2/3 times last night and luckily one of those got him a penalty. The great goal he scored against Brighton was all movement and no pausing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We’ve been at this exact moment in multiple threads multiple times after a good game by him. It’s not that he doesn’t have undeniable talent, it’s his consistency & decision making that need improvement. Let’s revisit this after a few weeks of consistent quality play. We still don’t know how his back injury might be affecting him. Hopefully he is playing this well in December, but we just don’t know. Another regression is as likely as him maintaining a high quality level.