Should we consider selling Harry Maguire?

TsuWave

There’s been incessant talk of getting a partner for the £80M CB we bought from Leicester to get the best out of him, but truthfully, I don’t think Maguire is good enough to be starting for us, and I feel we’ll need to find a “partner” for the so called “partner” we are supposed to be looking for Maguire.

I fail to see anything he excels at. Positioning, aggressiveness, leadership/organising, speed, tackling, sweeping/covering. Nothing. Maybe he’s decent aerially, but even then he’s extremely wasteful when in the opposition box. His conduct off the pitch is also questionable.

Should we try and get some of the money back?

Discuss.

Last edited:

United58

We'd struggle to get £30m for him atm, and no-one would be willing to cover his wages

Skills

Snitch
Who's going to buy him? We'll have to massively subsidise his wage, as becoming the world's most expensive CB also comes with a stupid salary as well.

Bojan11

Transfer window is closing in a day, so no. Unless we guaranteed to get one of those elite level hipster defenders.

witchtrials

Not just because of today's performance, obviously. But I have never rated him and wouldn't be sad to see him gone. Won't happen though, especially the day before deadline day.

mu4c_20le

We should definitely consider it yes, as no one should be absolutely safe. But I cannot see any realistic transfer for him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We'd be lucky to get £40m for him.

People would just go and buy James Tarkowski or Lewis Dunk... Its the same sort of thing you're getting (if not better)

SAFMUTD

We wouldnt even get 40M for him. Of course he's not worth 80M but under a proper coach he could play like a 40-50M defender.

Hulme91

I'm done with this useless elephant tbh
Him and Pogba are quite possibly the two worst signings in English football history.... £80 million British pounds...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We are stuck with him, but he has major, major question marks about him. His defending for Spurs’ first today was comical, and it was a time where we needed to settle.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Here we go, time to annihilate all the players one by one, Woodward, the Glazers, Ole.
Fun night ahead.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘All of Ole’s signings have been a success’. Apart from Maguire and James being crap of course.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I said he was a stupid signing and guess what.. he was.

How are the board so inept? I'm a fecking dope with zero real knowledge of footie yet even I could see that he was an average player and that £80m was bonkers for him, and yet.. they went and bought him. His purchase is everything wrong with our club.

Ole has to take blame for his stupid "British core" policy that summer too. Maybe sign the right players for your system, not just cause they're British n' 'ard innit.

RoyH1

The only clubs that can afford him would never have a limited player of his calibre on their starting XI.

Woodenlung

Absolutely not. He's been our best defender in years and comfortably the best one at the club. However he's been appalling since the season started and probably the final few fixtures at the end of last season. Back then fatigue was a legitimate reason for his poor performances. Not sure what to make if recent outings though.

TsuWave

Would much rather sell Pogba. He might fetch 40m in January, get Partey in.
I would rather spend Sunday afternoon spooning with Rihanna rather than watching United. However, this thread is about Maguire. Is there any reason to hold on to him, he’s been a catastrophic signing, and I feel long-term he’ll be a hindrance to us putting together a solid back four with all his limitations.

Roboc7

We bought him to be out VVD, he’s actually got more in common with Lovren. He was Leicester’s second best centre half season we signed him but somehow we still paid 80m.

Our whole back four isn’t good enough, Maguire will need to be replaced to compete with the best.

NK86

Who will buy him? We will fail to get 50 mil for him, let alone the 80 we spent!

His turning arc is bigger and slower than a Boeing 747. Absolutely shite.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
Worst player on the pitch again. We knew that before the season - Ole missed the chance to use his vacay story to get the armband off him.

ChaddyP

Can't get 20 million for smalling who probably is our best defender right now. :lol: Harry ain't going anywhere

TsuWave

Is he on crazy wages? We might be able to get a mid table team to bite at around £30M in Jan

yamo123x

Maguire crap today and all 3 league games this season, but then again so has rashford, martial, shaw, AWB etc etc.

Siorac

No because we'd get shit money for him, couldn't sign a replacement, and even if we did, that replacement would probably turn shite as well.

He's terrible but we're stuck with him.

RUCK4444

Incredible that the board were happy to pay £80 million for Harry but don’t think Sancho is worth the outlay when the latter mixes it with the best in the world in his position.

Ed mentality in a nutshell.