Should we consider selling Harry Maguire?

tombombadil

He may be our best centre half but that’s only because we don’t have any decent centre halves.

We should just write off the 80 million and look to replace him. Most of the 80m is already lost, I’d say he is now worth 15 to 20 at best. We just need to recognise this loss and move on.

We should also fire anyone who had anything to do with this transaction. That’s how it would work in any normal functioning business.
Well I have to disagree. The way things are, it makes more sense to just buy another centerback as opposed to making a loss and then buying another 2 centerbacks. Finding one is hard enough as it is.

tombombadil

The Maguire hate here is a bit baffling. He’s a good defender who is stuck with an unreasonable price tag. Before the restart, he and AWB were by far our best defenders. He’s had a terrible summer and rival fans are pouring it on yet our own supports are pouring it on too. Toxic club and supporters.
I understand the sentiment. It has to be mentioned that this is real life. With real people. Lots of people here need to understand that. Years from now, all the players young and old are going to remember how the supporters were toxic on their own loyal players when the chips were down. Don't expect them to stay loyal when times are good.

It also needs to be said that this is not a computer game. Transfers don't go through on a whim. A million moving parts need to work in synchrony to even get one player, let alone two.

TsuWave

Feck you OP.

//thread
Yeah, a goal against Newcastle is a great return on £80M of the queen’s finest.

To be fair to him, he was better than his usual today.

We’ll be back again soon.

meamth

Yeah, a goal against Newcastle is a great return on £80M of the queen’s finest.
Point is, stand behind your players when they are at their lowest.

In conclusion, this thread is one of the pile knee jerk threads. trash.

Dante

Average bang
On the one hand, he cost £80m. But on the other hand, he cost £80m.

If you take into account how much he cost (£80m), you have to admit that he cost £80m.

Obviously, it's not his fault that he cost £80m. But he did cost £80m. And that price tag (£80m) is a big one for him to live up to.

If you ignore his good performances and concentrate only on his bad performances, you have to question why he cost £80m.

£80m.

TsuWave

Why should I stand behind a player I don’t rate nor think he’s good enough? Are you OK? Go get your “top supporter” experience points somewhere else.

Maguire is average at his best and that’s my assessment of him. Making coming in this thread like Maguire led us to the treble or transformed us a la VVD or something.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a 3rd choice centre back for a top PL/CL level winning team. He’s not good enough to lead us to glory but he’s not as bad as he’s made out to be.

TsuWave

We’ll not progress with him in the team. Take £25M for him and run for the hills

AFC NimbleThumb

If Newcastle stay up we need to make hay while the sun shines & sell them an international centre back.

I actually think he’d go there & look better, the club/role he’s been given are too big for him.

Stadjer

For the right price, yes. If someone offered 80m he should be sold. If someone offered 30m? Maybe.... it would be a huge loss.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Just saw this gem :lol: . The amount of shit you must have eaten standing behind Maguire for almost 1.5 years must be getting too much even for the positive brigade.

Ralph1386

For the right price, yes. If someone offered 80m he should be sold. If someone offered 30m? Maybe.... it would be a huge loss.
Who in their right mind would offer 80m for him now? Who would even offer half of that? Have you seen him this year?

AFC NimbleThumb

Just saw this gem :lol: . The amount of shit you must have eaten standing behind Maguire for almost 1.5 years must be getting too much even for the positive brigade.
You’ve found a diamond there, feck me. We’ve got people saying get behind our captain as if he’s some academy graduate, years ago. The time has come & gone.

jesperjaap

He's a decent defender having an awful season. Never was or will be a centre back befitting the price even with premiership tags, he was the wrong signing....BUT

Regarding selling him, I dont see it at the moment, look at our centre backs

Varane
Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Jones
Tuanzabe

One hasnt really progressed from the promise of youth, two are injury prone and one is just plain average at best. I would still sell all but Varane over Maguire, he hasnt justified his signing, but we should be selling the bottom three for me and buying a promising centre back to have a good four options with Mengi as back up and for emergency signings, if we were to sign say Rice or Kamara, they can also play there.

Little doubt he has been generally abysmal this season, much like Bissaka, but again I woul dsell the other right backs over him, Dalot cant tackle without fouling, cant cross, cant do any sort of progressign passing, reall shouldnt be starting

AFC NimbleThumb

He's a decent defender having an awful season.
It really isn’t a ‘bad season’. He was signed based on his Leicester form, which was good. At no point has he consistently delivered that for United. The fact there are posts in this thread from last season saying we need to get behind him after yet another dip in form makes that sentence incorrect.

I agree on the whole he’s a better player than we’re seeing for United but he’s never looked as good as he has/did at points for Leicester/England for more than a few games, generally when we park the bus.

jesperjaap

It really isn’t a ‘bad season’. He was signed based on his Leicester form, which was good. At no point has he consistently delivered that for United. The fact there are posts in this thread from last season saying we need to get behind him after yet another dip in form makes that sentence incorrect.

I agree on the whole he’s a better player than we’re seeing for United but he’s never looked as good as he has/did at points for Leicester/England for more than a few games, generally when we park the bus.
I dont disagree with your assesment of him. I dont think he was the right signing or a top top centre back. Like you I think he has had some periods of very good form, he starte to have them for us before the injury....but again I agree its form rather than genuine quality, even with ENgland, we hav eseen similar with Stones, the simple truth is the area England arent great in is the keeper and centre backs, its simply the form of Pickford who is average, Stones who is also pretyt average and Maguire has been very good, in major tournaments especially.

Where I disagree with some comments though is that he is an awful liability of a defender. He has been at various points for us, but I do think he is a decent defender.But that summer there were 4/5 we could have signed from abroad for half the price. Its different to the Rice/Grealish are ridiculous prices, I mean yes they are massively over priced, but for me they are unique and have genuine ability, consistent performances, room to further improve and most importantly would both significantly improve us.

My thoughts on Maguire was he would be a decent centre back as the foil, but he is alongside Varane now and showing no signs of doing so. I still stick by my initial comment though, I would still sell all of the other centre backs before him bar Varane, the only one I rate at all is Bailly, but he never progressed from the raw talent here, still injury prone and still rash decisions. But Lindelof and Tuanzabe simply arent good enough and Jones I just cant see staying fit

jesperjaap

He may be our best centre half but that’s only because we don’t have any decent centre halves.

We should just write off the 80 million and look to replace him. Most of the 80m is already lost, I’d say he is now worth 15 to 20 at best. We just need to recognise this loss and move on.

We should also fire anyone who had anything to do with this transaction. That’s how it would work in any normal functioning business.
I agre with the first sentence, but come on.....as poor as he has been and though I never rated him above a decent defender when we were linked....do you genuinely believe in the premiership market we would only get £15-20m for him, Michael Keane got sold for nearly £30m after all. No we wont get near £80m for him, but we would certainly get a lot more than you suggest, probably double. A "normal functioning business" certainly doesnt sell assests like that.

Forgettign the finances, the main problem you inadvertently hit on the head fo rme though "we dont have any decent centre halves" bar Varane. There are others that should go before him, irrelevant of his performances, I would also suggest a couple of them would raise the kind of fees you are suggesting for him too.

What we should be looking to do for me, is clear out some of those and sign a quality young centre back that puts genuine pressure on his place and future at the club, where he simply doesnt get in the side with his form and performances at the moment, then we can look to sell him further down the line. I feel similar thougth with Bissaka who I actually do rate though he hasnt progressed as required this season, he needs prssure, selling him an dkeepig Dalot and WIlliams wouldnt make sense to me, as both are worse and could raise reasonable revenue for a quality replacement to put pressure on Bissaka

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I agre with the first sentence, but come on.....as poor as he has been and though I never rated him above a decent defender when we were linked....do you genuinely believe in the premiership market we would only get £15-20m for him, Michael Keane got sold for nearly £30m after all. No we wont get near £80m for him, but we would certainly get a lot more than you suggest, probably double. A "normal functioning business" certainly doesnt sell assests like that.

Forgettign the finances, the main problem you inadvertently hit on the head fo rme though "we dont have any decent centre halves" bar Varane. There are others that should go before him, irrelevant of his performances, I would also suggest a couple of them would raise the kind of fees you are suggesting for him too.

What we should be looking to do for me, is clear out some of those and sign a quality young centre back that puts genuine pressure on his place and future at the club, where he simply doesnt get in the side with his form and performances at the moment, then we can look to sell him further down the line. I feel similar thougth with Bissaka who I actually do rate though he hasnt progressed as required this season, he needs prssure, selling him an dkeepig Dalot and WIlliams wouldnt make sense to me, as both are worse and could raise reasonable revenue for a quality replacement to put pressure on Bissaka
Strange getting a reply to a post from 16 months ago. Maybe I was exaggerating how far his value had fallen when I posted it but I don’t think any PL club would risk him now at any price. I also now rate all of our centre halves above him and Varane apart, none of them are any use.

Sell sell sell, a “no reserve” auction.

RoyH1

No one will buy him at his wages and we'd have to almost give him away. Keep him in the squad and try to build his confidence up.

Rolaholic

Would dangle him in front of Newcastle this summer, we can do much better for much less.

Leicester nabbing a world record fee for this oaf might be an even more impressive feat than their Premier League title tbf

How he still wears the armband is a constant reminder of how far we've fallen

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We will have to sell Maguire, but not because I don't think he's good enough. I think it will be a mistake. Problem is he is scapegoated so much by our supporters that for the better of the club, he will have to go.