Should we consider selling Pogba?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If Real want to sign him in the summer it would be the right time to do the deal. With Fernandes now in the team, we need a more defensively astute player. If Real are still skint, a deal involving Valverde to add to our Uruguayan connection would be amazing. That is assuming we can’t get Camavinga of course.

JB7

Use Thiago transfer fee as a guide, and also factor in that football economy is even worse in December or next summer.

In this current market and given his current form and age, we’d be lucky to get £50m for him.
I was talking about Grealish.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I was talking about Grealish.
Oh! OK. Then you're probably right.

Grealish wont go anywhere for a few years now. He's committed with a new 5 year contract and wants to pay that loyalty.

JB7

Oh! OK. Then you're probably right.

Grealish wont go anywhere for a few years now. He's committed with a new 5 year contract and wants to pay that loyalty.
Yep, they've got him tied down & have one of the richest owners in the league so literally no reason to sell. Short of him going on strike he'll be there for a long time - which I can't see him ever doing as it's his club.

I agree with you on Pogba fwiw!

Wazza4Gaffa

I could go on about his special talent or commercial draw as for reasons why the club should try to retain him but a small and underappreciated aspect to consider when thinking about selling Pogba is his profile among fellow footballers. By all accounts he is loved by his teammates at club and country and is a global icon. When a player makes their decision to sign for this club I'm sure getting to play with Pogba is one of the main draws footballing wise as it seems many players admire/look up to him (Dembele, Griezmann and most French players/young players in general).

With all that being said I think he is planning on running down his contract and signing for Real Madrid or Juve (Wouldn't that be hilarious) with a nice fat signing bonus.

MattofManchester

When he first came here, I had hoped he'd have the same effect as Yaya Toure had on City, and who is arguably one of the most complete and dominating Premier League midfielders ever.

Hasn't been that at all.

Actually, I don't think he's even developed at all since he's been here. Still the same mistakes, poor decisions and mannerisms.

Banana Republic

When it comes to a transfer fee, a player is only worth what another club is willing to pay for them.
Last year when Pogba agent was pushing for a move, the accepted wisdom was that Utd valued him at over £100m, but despite all the noise, RM didn’t come in for him. Nobody did, so any valuation was just fanciful and wishful thinking.

That wishful thinking is still being demonstrated here on the Caf, with people talking about taking £50m or £60m if we can get that for him.
Really? On what basis is Pogba worth anything near those sort of numbers?
Clubs pay that sort of transfer fee for proven, top talents who are in form and at the top of their game, or for exciting young prospects where the buying club is prepared to take a massive financial risk to get the player.
But what we have is a player who isn’t an exciting future prospect and who has a proven track record of over 4 seasons, more than half of his senior professional career, of inconsistent, often mediocre and even poor quality.

It’s not as if it’s a blip of poor form. Despite a few short periods where he’s performed and shown the best of his talent, we have long term, solid evidence that despite undoubted natural ability, this player isn’t actually that good overall. What club is going to pay a high transfer fee based on that?
Add in the sort of wages and add-ons that Pogba and his agent would be looking for, the fact is he’s 28 years old, the current and future financial situation resulting from the pandemic and the fact there’s been no apparent interest in him.
Taking all this into account, Pogba’s current value must be closer to Zero than £50m. Unless we’re happy to accept a cut price deal for him next year, it looking increasingly likely to be a case of running down the clock and Pogba walking on a free in 2 years time.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Don't want to lose him but he is getting on my nerves now. His problem that from the start we were his plan B. And he never was 100% in his head commited. And that is why he never reached peak form here (except in first season under Jose).
Don't know what to say anymore about him. He wasted 4 years of his career here. If you think about another club then why the feck you signed for us?!

RkkMan

When it comes to a transfer fee, a player is only worth what another club is willing to pay for them.
Last year when Pogba agent was pushing for a move, the accepted wisdom was that Utd valued him at over £100m, but despite all the noise, RM didn’t come in for him. Nobody did, so any valuation was just fanciful and wishful thinking.

That wishful thinking is still being demonstrated here on the Caf, with people talking about taking £50m or £60m if we can get that for him.
Really? On what basis is Pogba worth anything near those sort of numbers?
Clubs pay that sort of transfer fee for proven, top talents who are in form and at the top of their game, or for exciting young prospects where the buying club is prepared to take a massive financial risk to get the player.
But what we have is a player who isn’t an exciting future prospect and who has a proven track record of over 4 seasons, more than half of his senior professional career, of inconsistent, often mediocre and even poor quality.

It’s not as if it’s a blip of poor form. Despite a few short periods where he’s performed and shown the best of his talent, we have long term, solid evidence that despite undoubted natural ability, this player isn’t actually that good overall. What club is going to pay a high transfer fee based on that?
Add in the sort of wages and add-ons that Pogba and his agent would be looking for, the fact is he’s 28 years old, the current and future financial situation resulting from the pandemic and the fact there’s been no apparent interest in him.
Taking all this into account, Pogba’s current value must be closer to Zero than £50m. Unless we’re happy to accept a cut price deal for him next year, it looking increasingly likely to be a case of running down the clock and Pogba walking on a free in 2 years time.
Juventus pre Corona were willing to pay 100m for him and with Pirlo as their new manager who was a big fan of him when they were team mates they`ll likely try again. He`s been inconsistent yes but he`s still a French International and World Cup winner this isn`t Darron Gibson we`re talking about if there`s one team who would be willing to find space for Pogba in their team even financially its Juve especially if Dybala by the looks of it refuses to extend and leaves next summer. 60m is wishful thinking for a player with just a year left on his deal but 40-50m would be a realistic and solid fee which we can get

Banana Republic

If we were offered £40-50m we should grab it without hesitation.
I’m not confident we’d even get that, after all we’re talking about a proven track record that is way below what the initial expectation was.
It’s delusional to think we’re talking about a “world class” player who has consistently performed at the top. Pogba is nothing of the sort.

Didn't take long. So much for me not understanding the nuances of the game. At least you're up to speed anyway ;)
I stand by the first comment of mine that you've quoted.

Pogba is a fantastic player that I rate very highly. I find it astonishing that so many people doubt his quality. Too many do fail to see what his game is about and the nuisanced skill and touch he has

But I've come to the conclusion that he's not the player United need at the moment and with his public statements about Madrid - it's probably best to just let an unhappy player be moved along.

Pogba doesn't want to play a deep role which is the only space for him. I've not changed my view on Pogba more that it's going to become a bug distraction having him on the bench and unhappy at the club

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Pogba is a poorly managed monument.

Play him deeper as a box to box DM and you get Yaya Toure 2.0

Play him up front as a striker and you get Paul Labile Drogba

Our only world class player (jury out on Martial)

alexthelion

Pogba is a poorly managed monument.

Play him deeper as a box to box DM and you get Yaya Toure 2.0

Play him up front as a striker and you get Paul Labile Drogba

Our only world class player (jury out on Martial)
:lol:

Pogba FC out in full force.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We're better off without him. Be shot of him the first chance we get.

Khalif_20

Regista. Maestro. The leading man.

You could immediately see the difference in class, confidence, coherence of the whole team once he came on.

Majestic defensive header to avert a goal. Two clear cut chances created for Martial. And then a tidy precise assist for Rashford's winner.

Sell him? Insanity. Paul is pure world class, it should be #1 priority to sign him up for long-term contract.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Regista. Maestro. The leading man.

You could immediately see the difference in class, confidence, coherence of the whole team once he came on.

Majestic defensive header to avert a goal. Two clear cut chances created for Martial. And then a tidy precise assist for Rashford's winner.

Sell him? Insanity. Paul is pure world class, it should be #1 priority to sign him up for long-term contract.
He definitely needs to consistently start living up to his potential. Needs to be managed well and needs to motivate himself and push himself harder. Being relegated to the bench has given him a kick up the a**e. Maybe the left forward position will work out better for him. He needs to work hard to cement his position in the Starting XI

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's just so frustrating. Is he more talented than McTom & Fred? Without a doubt, but he works about 50% as hard playing in a midfield 2, particularly noticeably when we play a team prepared to actually attack, he's a near liability in those games.

Against teams that sit back, theres an argument that we need more creativity than we get playing McTom/Fred/Matic, but even then he always just seems to want so much time on the ball that he often gets crowded out.

I don't know, to me he often seems like a player more intent on trying to build a highlight reel, than playing a one touch clever pass,, or more worrying, he's not capable of doing that.

Either way, it's a good thing that he's been dropped, and shown that he's not an automatic first choice. Hopefully he responds positively and forces his way back in.

But for now it's hard to argue that Bruno with 2 of McT, Fred, Matic behind them, in the bigger games, isnt the best 1st choice. And where we need a bit more creativity against a low block, it would be interesting to see what a midfield of Bruno, Matic & VdB would do.

Banana Republic

.......You could immediately see the difference in class, confidence, coherence of the whole team once he came on.

He came on and gave a good performance, arguably being an influence in us winning the game, but that doesn’t make him “pure world class”. He was motivated for a change and was played in the attacking midfield role (where he is best deployed) and it was against a tiring PSG defence and defensive midfield. He did well in that short period and looked confident, but he’d have do that and a lot more, consistently, to even be considered a “good player”.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We just don't need him anymore. I feel relieved when he doesn't play because he causes me angst.

Sell him, and use the funds to help buy Halaand and/or Sancho and we end up with a better squad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been left with a bit of an egg on his face after his comments during the international break.

sp_107

Forget about Pogba, Can someone explain Why we are still paying salaries to players like -Jones/Rojo/Lingard/Romero/Ighalo? We could have easily shipped out first-4 on loan at least to save around 25M/year on their salaries and we could have sent Ighalo back to china?

Romereo has been a great servant but having Henderson dont think we need him anymore.

hungrywing

We just don't need him anymore. I feel relieved when he doesn't play because he causes me angst.

Sell him, and use the funds to help buy Halaand and/or Sancho and we end up with a better squad.
There's still a tiny tiny chance/scenario where he can stay and contribute.

But it involves him taking a steep pay cut.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Forget about Pogba, Can someone explain Why we are still paying salaries to players like -Jones/Rojo/Lingard/Romero/Ighalo? We could have easily shipped out first-4 on loan at least to save around 25M/year on their salaries and we could have sent Ighalo back to china?

Romereo has been a great servant but having Henderson dont think we need him anymore.
Yeah because there aren't 859+ threads where you can talk about that.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The way things are I see us hitting a contract stalemate and we have to let him go next summer for a bit more than half of what we paid for him. Hopefully we reinvest the money in the squad. Haaland and Camavinga are the players we should target but I still can’t see us getting either. A Few more nights like tonight and we would be an easier sell though.

Touseef

If Mbappe moves to Madrid next summer (and considering the shape of their midfield), wouldn't PSG be a destination for him?

Top brand, quality French player for the top French club who is losing one of their 2 biggest players (and French nonetheless).

If we can flip him to PSG and use the money to sign Sancho and then spend extra for maybe Aouar to replace him, we'd have strengthened considerably.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

They should obviously be gone to, but none of them will fetch a good fee, where as Pogba will still be worth a sizable amount.

Hes clearly not the worst player in the team, but his attitude and commitment is questionable to put it mildly so it would be better both for him and the club if we parted ways

Number32

If Mbappe moves to Madrid next summer (and considering the shape of their midfield), wouldn't PSG be a destination for him?

Top brand, quality French player for the top French club who is losing one of their 2 biggest players (and French nonetheless).

If we can flip him to PSG and use the money to sign Sancho and then spend extra for maybe Aouar to replace him, we'd have strengthened considerably.
I think Zidane wants Pogba more than Mbappe. Modric, Kroos, and Isco are in decline, and their youngsters are not ready in a big stage.

Gotta feeling Madrid will push Raiola to make it happen in the next transfer window. Mbappe will probably going to Juve next summer, they already have a plan for him to replace Ronaldo.

But this is Real Madrid we are talking about, they might end up with both Pogba and Mbappe and another Galacticos.

Canagel

He doesnt want to play in France. The French league is not attractive enough for the top French players

Dante

Average bang
He was great yesterday. But the issue has never been his top level. It's been his average level and his bottom level.

At United, we don't see his top level anywhere near often enough. Meanwhile, his average level is what you'd expect from a midtable midfielder and his bottom level is barely PL standard.

The issue has always been Pogba's level of commitment for the Manchester United cause. He did it for a string of matches after Jose after he got sacked as a 'feck you' to the man who called him a virus; and he also did it yesterday during a big game on French soil against PSG. But what about when it isn't a glamour match?

Pogba's potential departure should be judged against how well he does in the bread-and-butter matches of the PL. If he can keep up this level of performance during a wet and windy Wednesday at Stoke® then I'd love to keep him at the club.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm such a soft touch but if Pogba can play like he did last night(focused and importantly disciplined)I would have no problem him staying till his contract runs out.

Under no circumstances should we give him a new improved contract.
He can't . We've been hoping for this for a while but it never happens. It's like expecting Bailly to stay fit

SSSSnake

Can’t see how he fits in this team unless we go with a diamond formation. Pogba is a pure attacker and can’t be relied upon in midfield. I wonder if Ole is open to listen to offers in the summer.