Should we consider selling Pogba?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Im really disappointed in how this transfer has turned out as I had really high hopes for him, even when he was out for 3/4 of the season last year. His first game back against spurs renewed my optimism. However, looking at it objectively, I have to admit I am struggling to see what exactly he offers. Hardly scores any goals, or makes any assists. The less said about his defensive work the better. So I think the best option would be to sell him and reinvest the money elsewhere in the squad. But, as others have already pointed out, do we trust this incompetent board to do that???
They will probably give him 500k a week 5 year contract knowing our clueless board. It's a real shame Juve or Madrid came to their senses.

The Pogba hype train is in danger of totally de-railing. It's all well and good having the ability. Even his biggest detractor, Souness, says he's got ability. Its the rest of the things he lacks. You can't be a world class player when you 'phone it in' as much as Pogba does. World class players consistently turn up. He never has.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I would sell Pogba to Juve for de Ligt and Rabiot.
Agreed. It would suit the team building much better.

Pogba is a great player on his day. but that’s not often enough and we constantly debate which position will get the best from him. We should give up trying to build a team around one individual and build a team that functions as a sum of all parts.

He'sRaldo

Agreed. It would suit the team building much better.

Pogba is a great player on his day. but that’s not often enough and we constantly debate which position will get the best from him. We should give up trying to build a team around one individual and build a team that functions as a sum of all parts.
The constant debate keeps happening because he's rarely ever played in the position people are constantly debating.

Both Mourinho and Ole have been in love with the 4-2-3-1 with Pogba as a DM, and people keep pointing out he's better elsewhere. It's perpetuating because the managers keep doing it.

golden_blunder

Staff
The constant debate is only because he's rarely ever played in the position people are constantly debating.

Both Mourinho and Ole have been in love with the 4-2-3-1 with Pogba as a DM, and people keep pointing out he's better elsewhere. It just keeps perpetuating because the managers keep doing it.
I feel like no matter what position we put him in we are going to have this conversation go around in circles until one day he leaves on a free transfer, having not fulfilled his potential.

He'sRaldo

I feel like no matter what position we put him in we are going to have this conversation go around in circles until one day he leaves on a free transfer, having not fulfilled his potential.
I remember when Ole came in and he got to play more advanced in a 4-3-3 he was top level. But that didn't last very long as Ole switched to his 4-2-3-1 and the rest is history.

I agree with you it will probably happen like that, but only because he won't get an extended run in that position.

golden_blunder

Staff
I remember when Ole came in and he got to play more advanced in a 4-3-3 he was top level. But that didn't last very long as Ole switched to his 4-2-3-1 and the rest is history.

I agree with you it will probably happen like that, but only because he won't get an extended run in that position.
The thing is, if we look at when he’s played the best football in his career it’s with Juventus alongside Pirlo and Vidal and with France alongside Kante and Matuidi. We aren’t set like that

Smores

The best we've seen of Pogba under Ole was much further forward. I'd say the same under Jose when he linked up well with Lukaku.

We all know his weaknesses by now and yet we put him in positions he's not suited. I can't fathom why Ole doesn't get more criticism for it considering it was a frequent complaint not so long ago.

If we're going to insist on 4231 then we may as well sell him and get in more suited players.

He'sRaldo

The thing is, if we look at when he’s played the best football in his career it’s with Juventus alongside Pirlo and Vidal and with France alongside Kante and Matuidi. We aren’t set like that
Exactly, it's an entirely different setup.

We're not setup like that (heck we don't even have a good DM) so Pogba is having to sacrifice his natural game to fit into Ole's formation. It's like Martial on the wing: you can see the quality is there but something is off, it's not 100% natural.

To be fair, that's how we've been using a lot of our players in the recent past; Square pegs in round holes.

golden_blunder

Staff
Exactly, it's an entirely different setup.

We're not setup like that (heck we don't even have a good DM) so Pogba is having to sacrifice his natural game to fit into Ole's formation. It's like Martial on the wing: you can see the quality is there but something is off, it's not 100% natural.

To be fair, that's how we've been using a lot of our players in the recent past; Square pegs in round holes.
That’s my point, we are not going to setup to get the best out of one player, nor should we. Therefore Pogba at United is an unsolvable problem.

He'sRaldo

That’s my point, we are not going to setup to get the best out of one player, nor should we. Therefore Pogba at United is an unsolvable problem.
I partially agree, but I also think rather than an unsolvable problem it's a hole we dug ourselves into.

We're the ones who purchased both Bruno and DVB, but still haven't gotten a proper DM and are opting for Scott. So when we shoehorn Pogba deep because we didn't buy anyone for that role for 4 years after buying him, we really only have ourselves to blame.

With that said, I do think we should look to get the best out of our best players unless we have a manager like Klopp or Guardiola who has a winning formula that the players must conform to. I remember when Conte came to Chelsea he first played a 4-2-3-1 but it didn't fit Kante or Matic and they struggled initially. Eventually he switched to his 3-4-3 and walked the league because it fit his better players like a glove, and allowed the less talented ones like Victor Moses and Pedro to contribute.

Ultimately, I've mentioned many times before that I don't think the 4-2-3-1 we play enhances anyone in the team, and a switch to a 4-3-3 would be better for Pogba as well as others. In that sense, I don't see Pogba's situation as unsolvable, I just think that both managers who managed him at Utd have done the same thing in sticking to the 4-2-3-1 which doesn't really fit us.

Betson

He's just recovered from Coronavirus and didn't have a proper pre-season.

He will improve a lot and will play an important role still. But yes he's shown in 4 seasons that he doesn't have the focus, consistency and desire to blend in properly here.

I could never understand why we didn't take the money and run when Barca offered 100 million.

I think if anyone offered anything near that again we would snap their hand off to take it.

He must have shown he was fit enough to start at the weekend , but his attitude on the pitch was awful as it has been for a lot of the time he has been here over the last 4 years. He really could not be bothered if he gave the ball away and was happy to see other Utd players chase after balls he gave away.

He is still a good player who occasionally puts in top drawer performances , but those performances are far too few and in between to rely on him to be catalyst to take us up a level. It would be best all round if we could cash in and bring in a moire suitable and consistent player. But I don't think there would be many takers for him in this market if we are looking for top price.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Basically yes, it's not so much he doesn't fit but we have alternatives in the same position that work best for how we play.

But no I would sell him as I wouldn't trust Ed and/or Ole to use those funds on what we do need.
So handicap the team for the sake of it?

That's just plain dumb.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
My issue with Pogba is that he never plays for the team

Anything he does he does to showcase what he's capable of. All those tricks, stopovers and dribble are mostly unnecessary and often made us lose possession. He could have made a simple pass and move the ball smoothly but he always more often opted for fancy dribbling and kills our momentum.

He doesnt care about winning, he's all about keeping his stock up.

I'd say we'll look a better team without him. We might not look flashy enough at first but the sum will be greater without him

Hammondo

Problem is that I do not think anyone wants him.

He public stated he wanted to move, and no one bid for him.

Hes not done well since, so teams are less likely to want him. We are stuck with him.

Tibs

It's asuggetion that would shock Ole, but letting Pogba play further up forward will result in him playing better, and the team playing better

But no, let's tell him not to go too far past the half way line

Maureen-yo

How is not selling him handicapping the team if we wouldn't use those funds to buy replacements anyway!?
What replacements are available that play Pogbas position better than he does?
The issue is asking him to play a role that doesn’t suit him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
How is not selling him handicapping the team if we wouldn't use those funds to buy replacements anyway!?
We can make the team better by playing our existing players who fit better?

It's better than watching Pogba stroll about like it's a friendly game.

Foxbatt

As some have said Pogba needs to be further forward but Ole cannot get him to play because he is too rigid in his ways. We need to stop playing with wingers and go with two strikers with Martial dropping deep. Play a 4 man midfield and play Matic and Fred and Pogba and Bruno and we will play much better if we want to play Pogba. Once he loses the ball Pogba is not going to catch anyone.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He spent plenty of time hanging around the Palace box, the idea that he’s some shackled holding midfielder we should all feel sorry for is hilarious. He was poor against Palace, but he wasn’t the only one. He needs to have a really good season, let’s hope he does.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This is my fear too. I think if Pogba is still here in two years time, we will still be having this debate and going around in circles. To give credit to Paul, when he delivers he can do special things, but it is sporadic. He gives one good game and then disappears for two or three. It is one of the differences i see between us and Liverpool: You get consistency every game from Liverpool. Every player will do what he is supposed to do. With Pogba we dont get consistency.

SSSSnake

For me Rashford is out of form so should be dropped. Try Pogba in that position and I guarantee you he performs.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Guys you lost one game, end of last season shows it was going well for you with Pogba.

lilcurt

What replacements are available that play Pogbas position better than he does?
The issue is asking him to play a role that doesn’t suit him.
Which if you read through my posts is the point. I don't need someone to play pogbas role better, we need box to box and CDM

F-A-C-T-S

Should have sold him when we had the chance. 27 and still no consistency in his game. Would Pep or Klopp want this guy? I don't think so. Not a team player. Be better to have a less flashy midfielder who works hard and turns in 7/10 perfomances each time.
He's an embodiment of some of the issues at the club.

TheLord

Should have sold him when we had the chance. 27 and still no consistency in his game. Would Pep or Klopp want this guy? I don't think so. Not a team player. Be better to have a less flashy midfielder who works hard and turns in 7/10 perfomances each time.
He's an embodiment of some of the issues at the club.
Exactly my thoughts.
Should have sold him earlier, now the ship has sailed, unfortunately.

Tel074

The best we've seen of Pogba under Ole was much further forward. I'd say the same under Jose when he linked up well with Lukaku.

We all know his weaknesses by now and yet we put him in positions he's not suited. I can't fathom why Ole doesn't get more criticism for it considering it was a frequent complaint not so long ago.

If we're going to insist on 4231 then we may as well sell him and get in more suited players.
Totally agree. He's a complete liability in that system

Dan_F

My issue with Pogba is that he never plays for the team

Anything he does he does to showcase what he's capable of. All those tricks, stopovers and dribble are mostly unnecessary and often made us lose possession. He could have made a simple pass and move the ball smoothly but he always more often opted for fancy dribbling and kills our momentum.

He doesnt care about winning, he's all about keeping his stock up.

I'd say we'll look a better team without him. We might not look flashy enough at first but the sum will be greater without him
I’m not sure that’s true. Sure he gives away the ball occasionally, but do we need another player who’s going to pass the ball 10 yards to AWB. The onus is always massively on him to break the press, and sometimes he gets caught out.

He spent plenty of time hanging around the Palace box, the idea that he’s some shackled holding midfielder we should all feel sorry for is hilarious. He was poor against Palace, but he wasn’t the only one. He needs to have a really good season, let’s hope he does.
I thought he looked like his overall position was much higher than last season, although he looked miles off the pace. Towards the back end of last season he was our deepest midfielder at times. It feels like a waste having him in that position.

I don’t know what the answer is, but we’ve managed to back ourselves into a corner again. Whoever is dealing with contract renewals is an absolute moron. I don’t know how the Glazers can’t see that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If the club doesn't sell the deadwood, what are the chances of that happening with Pogba. I like the guy but it's time to part ways. He is useless and it's making our new signing DVB spend time on the bench

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Anyone have the stats for his performance today? Seemed to lose the ball or give it away all the time.

Couldnt run either. Outworked again by the oppositions MF.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah, I don't think his heart's in it at all.

If he left for Madrid tomorrow, I wouldn't care less.

GMoore23

Wouldn't have noticed any difference if there was a sloth playing in his position today.

sugar_kane

Fred deserves to be in our starting line up way more than him

He’s got a decent pass in his locker like Pogba (albeit not the same insane standard as him) but is all round game is far better and he works about ten times harder.