Should we consider selling Pogba?

fps

He'll have no trouble finding suitors. Still a valuable commodity. I suspect he'll go back to Juventus if they can find the cash, but ideally he goes to Madrid to take them off of the Camavinga table.
I just think he's on top money but not a player you can build your team around, therefore not worth the salary and transfer fee for Madrid. They need sure things right now rather than icings on cakes.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Lots of clubs would love to have Pogba. The question is how much they are willing to pay
The latter informs the former. So I can’t see where the genuine demand is. Madrid did put in an offer 18 months ago and it was hilarious

we wanted sancho but can’t afford him.

Hammondo

Doesn't really work like that anymore. If United have told Raiola that he's not for sale then clubs are unlikely to go to the effort of putting an official bid in
If pogba is asking to leave for everyone to see, interested teams make offers.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I just think he's on top money but not a player you can build your team around, therefore not worth the salary and transfer fee for Madrid. They need sure things right now rather than icings on cakes.
Time will tell. I personally feel that lots of big clubs will want him. We'll see

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If pogba is asking to leave for everyone to see, interested teams make offers.
I think that happened after the window closed. Then we activated the extra year. To me that looks like preparation for a summer sale. Who knows. I could be wrong

Hammondo

I think that happened after the window closed. Then we activated the extra year. To me that looks like preparation for a summer sale. Who knows. I could be wrong
He did it previously as well.

Khalif_20

We will see the best of him if we are able play him with the formation we played yesterday 2nd half--

Rash/Martial/Cavani/Greenwood
Pogba Bruno
Fred----McT--Matic
Telles/Shaw---Maguire--CB---AWB
Exactly. As an aficionado of classic football, I've read up on Ancelotti's early Milan formation dilemna, particularly fitting in two world class playmakers: Kaka (Pogba) and Rui Costa (Bruno).

His solution was 4-3-2-1, also known as the Tree formation. This is how we can maximize the potentially legendary Pogba + Bruno synergy. When implemented correctly, those two can create double digit number of chances between them every match!

We already have a good high energy LCM for the supporting midfield 3 behind them, Fred. What we need now is a right sided box-to-box CM, ideally Camavinga, and a central deep playmaker for the Pirlo role. I'm thinking Aouar, or developing Mejbri for this position.
Then why no offers?
Because our asking price is 120-150 million and continental clubs are broke. There isn't a single team in the world where Pogba wouldn't be a key midfielder, except United apparently.

saivet

The latter informs the former. So I can’t see where the genuine demand is. Madrid did put in an offer 18 months ago and it was hilarious

we wanted sancho but can’t afford him.
We've clearly priced him out of the move in the past, as it was rumoured we wanted over £100m, and given Covid, clubs finances are in tatters so this summer was never an option. We've never tried to sell him and while he's made comments about wanting a new challenge he's not going to go awol to try and force a move. At £80m or under, I think there would be takers and next summer is when we will likely see that kind of price quoted if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Hammondo

Exactly. As an aficionado of classic football, I've read up on Ancelotti's early Milan formation dilemna, particularly fitting in two world class playmakers: Kaka (Pogba) and Rui Costa (Bruno).

His solution was 4-3-2-1, also known as the Tree formation. This is how we can maximize the potentially legendary Pogba + Bruno synergy. When implemented correctly, those two can create double digit number of chances between them every match!

We already have a good high energy LCM for the supporting midfield 3 behind them, Fred. What we need now is a right sided box-to-box CM, ideally Camavinga, and a central deep playmaker for the Pirlo role. I'm thinking Aouar, or developing Mejbri for this position.

Because our asking price is 120-150 million and continental clubs are broke. There isn't a single team in the world where Pogba wouldn't be a key midfielder, except United apparently.
Source? I never not read anywhere we are asking for that.

zenith

I'm sure many clubs would want him. Just not sure how many will part with serious money for him.

Madrid will be very interested in Mbappe, who has a similar contract situation to pogba and that'll leave only juve as the interested to tier club for him.

If we could get a deal like de Ligt plus some money for pogba, I'd be over the moon

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We will see the best of him if we are able play him with the formation we played yesterday 2nd half--

Rash/Martial/Cavani/Greenwood
Pogba Bruno
Fred----McT--Matic
Telles/Shaw---Maguire--CB---AWB
4321 wasn’t the formation we played in 2nd half. We still maintained the 2 strikers in that 2nd half.

NWRed

I'm sure many clubs would want him. Just not sure how many will part with serious money for him.

Madrid will be very interested in Mbappe, who has a similar contract situation to pogba and that'll leave only juve as the interested to tier club for him.

If we could get a deal like de Ligt plus some money for pogba, I'd be over the moon
Never going to happen, unfortunately. If we could convince de Ligt to come I think we'd be the one's having to stump up cash as part of the deal.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Time will tell. I personally feel that lots of big clubs will want him. We'll see
He can only succeed in a slower and weaker league like Serie A where guys like Sanchez look good. Hence the whole Juventus narrative (which I think must be vastly exaggerated).

He’s not dependable enough for Barcelona desired precision and Madrid fans will eat him alive. Neither have the cash anyway.

so it’s Juve or PSG.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He can only succeed in a slower and weaker league like Serie A where guys like Sanchez look good. Hence the whole Juventus narrative (which I think must be vastly exaggerated).

He’s not dependable enough for Barcelona desired precision and Madrid fans will eat him alive. Neither have the cash anyway.

so it’s Juve or PSG.
With the way how Juve & Real set up their system under Pirlo & Zidane. Zidane’s Real is more likely going for him than Pirlo’s Juve imo.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

so it’s Juve or PSG.
See you're going too far the other way now. Let's be clear about this. Pogba is a supremely talented player, not one that needs to find a weak league to succeed and be put in the Sanchez bracket. Thats ridiculous.

Seems pointless arguing about something neither of us can prove so let's just wait and see.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
See you're going too far the other way now. Let's be clear about this. Pogba is a supremely talented player, not one that needs to find a weak league to succeed and be put in the Sanchez bracket. Thats ridiculous.Seems pointless arguing about something neither of us can prove so let's just wait and see.
Well his ‘talent’ has only flourished in the slower and weaker Serie A so far. We watch the same guy, he needs more time on the ball than the PL is willing to provide, and can’t handle being pressed.

Also I don’t agree on his level of talent

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Well his ‘talent’ has only flourished in the slower and weaker Serie A so far. We watch the same guy, he needs more time on the ball than the PL is willing to provide, and can’t handle being pressed.

Noted. Let's wait and see

wolvored

Thats exactly my thinking. Maybe January if the interest is there.
The fact Raiola said in August Utd havent offered Paul a new contract yet, but have activated the extention on the current one now makes me think he could be on his way.
VDB signing and the fact he would have been up against Pogba and Bruno for a place also makes me think Pogba is off.
The Madrid comment dropped as soon as the windows shut as well, isnt just a slip of the tongue.
Ole saying he has a contract for 2 years, why mention the 2 years, when he could have said Paul is our player without mention of how long the contract is.
As good as Pogba can be, for me its his inconsistancy with it. Brunos rare poor games are still better than Pogbas more frequent poor games and this is probably whats opened the boards eyes, otherwise he would have been offered another mega contract by now, imo.

poleglass red

I think Real will go big for Mbappe, if they have any money left they will certainly lowball us for Pogba. Pogba does well in good teams, his Juve team ruled Serie A, his France team is the top international side, he's a good player in a top team. We aren't and haven't been that during his tenure here. As we continue to get better his performances will improve. At the risk of calling him a luxury player, he's not the kind of player to rally a team and dictate a game, he never has been and we probably unfairly put that tag on him due to his price. The contract extension isn't a sign of us building a future of him in it, it is more as a precaution to maximise his price i feel.

Eugenius

He can handle being pressed, he just takes too many risks when collecting the ball taking the ball off the CBs. It's a concentration / mentality issue.

He's not really suited to being a double pivot. But he is unplayable at times in that floating midfield role - his ability to take the ball in tight spots, go past a player centrally and pick a pass is top class. I think we'd be better playing both him and Bruno as #8s.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope Real and Juventus comes for him. Pirlo might fancy him and Zidane definitely likes him. 70-80 million and you can have him. Pogba will likely be warming the seat as a 2nd half substitute. I will give it another 3 weeks before his agent start making noise about the club and Ole. Please shop him around in Europe and see who wants to take him. With Pogba, we play like individual. Without him, we play for one another.

MattofManchester

Maybe he needs a more regimented, yet player-oriented manager, like Pep or similar.

Someone who can drill in work rate and understanding of his role in the team.

Idk, but he's at that age where he should be at his peak, and he's becoming a large disappointment.

Yakuza_devils

Talented or not, just fecking sell him. I can't stand our player comes out every other day to say his dream is to play for RM. He doesn't deserve to wear our famous red shirt.

united for life

If we can find a buyer, yes. Biggest disappointment for years.
probably real woud think he can replace modric. Hope they do. I don’t think he lived up to expectations. Can cash on him, van de beek looks Like someone who can play a better role

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He'll have no trouble finding suitors. Still a valuable commodity. I suspect he'll go back to Juventus if they can find the cash, but ideally he goes to Madrid to take them off of the Camavinga table.
Commercially he won't have any trouble, I suspect that is why we've kept him around the club for so long. All clubs will be looking at the bomb scare of the last 15 months on the pitch and be worried about what they will get and I don't agree that he is still a representative value on the kind of wages he will demand. "Go back to Juve if they have the cash" kind of tells a pretty sorry story about the situation he's in if I'm being brutally honest.

tjb

Maybe he needs a more regimented, yet player-oriented manager, like Pep or similar.

Someone who can drill in work rate and understanding of his role in the team.

Pep would expose him. Any team with a set system would not work.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Genuine question - have we ever played him in a 3 man midfield without the added defensive responsibility? Be it Jose or Ole, they both tried to shoe horn him in a 4231 midfield and failed miserably.

Imo, it has nothing to do with slower leagues. We are basically asking him to set the tempo which he will never do. He is always at his best when played closer to opposition goal.

tjb

Imho, Pogba would be the King in Serie A and La Liga.
Not in La Liga....game requires far more intelligence in movement than Pogba has shown with United. Pogba would also be destroyed by Madrid' media. By game 3, they'd be booing him by half time, with Marca writing articles about him.

eltigreFalcao

I am and always have been a fan of his, but to be honest he's got his chances here and rarely lived up to expectations. As many have pointed out multiple times he has flaws that should be fixable but have yet to be fixed: looses the ball underpressure when he takes two extra touches, bad attitud shown when things don't go our way jogging up and down, concentration issues, etc. The footballing part he's got it but lacks the mental part. Those things should have been coached into him long time ago and may still be coachable but the fact that they haven't is pretty telling. Not blaming Ole for this but I just hope he plays a part in getting the best out of Pogba while he's here.

Moneywise is better to sell.
Football wise is better to try to make him work in the team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Genuine question - have we ever played him in a 3 man midfield without the added defensive responsibility? Be it Jose or Ole, they both tried to shoe horn him in a 4231 midfield and failed miserably.

Imo, it has nothing to do with slower leagues. We are basically asking him to set the tempo which he will never do. He is always at his best when played closer to opposition goal.
And this is the problem. He's a very good talent there's no doubt in my mind but to get the best out of him consistently, you need to accommodate him. You don't only need to play a very specific system/formation but he has to play a very specific role as well.

When was the last time a big team tried to accommodate a midfielder like this? for forwards and wingers it's normal. You free them off other responsibilities because they win you games. That's what forwards do when given the freedom, to focus on scoring and attacking. For a midfielder you have to be a very special attacking midfielder to be freed of defensive responsibility because there's little chance that a world class midfielder would outscore world class strikers/wingers over the course of the season. And we have 3 young, talented forwards already. Which means Ole could just play Bruno instead for the additional work rate on top of what Pogba provides as an AM and that's exactly what he's been doing. Not to mention that midfielders duty has never been about scoring or do flashy dribbling, those are the cherry on top. To minimize their involvement in midfield is to minimize their overall contribution to the team.

So for Pogba, if he needs to play completely without a defensive responsibility then Second Striker is the place for him. Or as I said, create a very specific role for him, attacking midfielder but playing like a second striker, always going forward and leaving a space behind. Which I don't think we can afford right now. We're not battering teams 5-0 while controlling possession in every game to be able to do such a thing. Premier League isn't French League.

Last edited: