Should we consider selling Pogba?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Real, Bayern, City, Juve, PSG.

The only powerhouse clubs which wouldn't be interested are Liverpool (Klopp's midfielders are craftsmen, not artists) and Barcelona (they're bankrupt).

As @Tibs already pointed out, have no worries about Paul's future if we end up being fools and sell him. He'll only sign for a team challenging for all trophies available.
I would wonder how has need and money to buy Pogba. I would rather expect a Sanchez repeat: a loan that continues to cost United money, but provides the new club a safe trial period and thus sets up a permanent move away.
Then what?

What's the plan after that? Even if we sell him for £200m - what will happen? Sign Sancho? Then turn him into a worse player as we do with many others?
Well, the obvious? Decide on a preferred tactic, put players in the spots available, see what's missing, and go for those types? That's not necessarily been United's strong suit of late, but it makes more sense than keeping someone on this kind of wages who has no real role in the manager's setup.

UnitedFan93

Such a crap, overrated footballer, and one lacking even basic football intelligence.

What makes Pogba world class? His stupid Cruyff turns in the middle of the pitch?

Hopefully PSG are stupid enough to offer big money for him so that we can ship him off sooner rather than later. The Pogba problem is only resolved the day he leaves this club, and honestly I can't wait for that day. I'm tired of all the excuses made for him and his half-arsed performances. Just get rid ffs.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Interest in Pogba has irretrievably nosedived. He is lucky to be still starting for United. His concentration, focus and energy levels are now almost zero. Imo his awful form is now affecting Bruno. Am surprised United opted to extend his contract. Great potential but sad to see him in this sorry state, he is now a broken man.

el3mel

Interest in Pogba has irretrievably nosedived. He is lucky to be still starting for United. His concentration, focus and energy levels are now almost zero. Imo his awful form is now affecting Bruno. Am surprised United opted to extend his contract. Great potential but sad to see him in this sorry state, he is now a broken man.
It's just an option activated for 1 more year to prevent him from going for free next season. If we don't offer him any contract extension within the start of the upcoming year at least, then we would be definitely looking to cash on him next summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pogba if used sparingly is still a good option. We wont get what we want for him in current climate so no point in selling him. He will leave for free in 2022.
If we ignore the wages, he would be good option as he can provide cover for Bruno and be an impact sub. He can show how good and what kind of impact he can offer in that role. However, if we don't ignore his wages, then we need to understand a 290k p/w as a backup or sitting on the bench as impact sub is a mad idea.

Sell him for some cash even if it's small or let him go for free, the obvious choice will be getting some cash of him. Giving him a new deal that is above 290k p/w is the thing we shouldn't do. And I don't think manager is the problem either regarding Pogba's case, I think it's just the player himself that has some limit to prevent him to perform consistent enough as regular player in high demand league and club.

hobbers

I wonder what sort of offers we could realistically get for him in January.

Probably not a club out there that would even go near £50m.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I know i am raising the bar high, but look at Scholes in his prime. One twos. One touch passing. A minimum of 10 goals a season in his prime. Controlling the play. Up the tempo when we need a goal. Control the game when we are winning. Exceptional at retaining the ball under pressure.

Pogba then takes eight touches of the ball. Cannot retain the ball under pressure. Kills attacks. And cannot defend.

Paul Pogba is justin Bieber when scholes was Ludwig Van Bloody Beethoven.
Spot on. The problem with Pogba is that he seems to only have one "mode" he plays in. He wants to dictate play and look for a killer pass but he makes things complicated when he should keep them simple. Most CM play consists of tedious grit and graft and it seems Pogba has no interest in partaking in this

Barney Bubbles

IMO he has believed his own hype.
Add to that we as fans tight we were getting Zidane because of his highlight reel.
In reality he’ a very talented showboater that sometimes turns it on for 10 minutes but doesn’t have the knowledge or the drive to be the very best.

I think he should move back to Italy because the premier league is showing all of his weaknesses.

Suvvernmanc

Pogba is leaving on a free at the end of his contract. No way were getting a good fee, or a fee at all while covid continues.

Strelok

Offer him to PSG. Hope they bite.
I don't think they're that stupid. On a free maybe. At least we can get his 290k off the books. And use that money for some new players. Who would actually want to play for us.

Betson

I wonder what sort of offers we could realistically get for him in January.

Probably not a club out there that would even go near £50m.
Probably not , I think we would bite the hand off any club who offered us anything near that. But no club seems that interested in him unless they get him on a free.

Highfather_24

Hopefully we can get 50M for him, he is in his supposed prime, and is a marketing gold mine.

wolvored

I think we'll sell for about £40m in the summer. I think there will be takers at that price. Probably Madrid.
I was going to say the same. No one will offer big money and rightly so. If we get an offer of 40 maybe 50 mill we should snap their hand off. In fact I could see a scenario where no one bids and he leaves the season after on a free. Only hope deadwood don't shit himself and offer another contract for something like 4 years on 400k a week

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Guess that'd be a firm "no" from Bayern. His wage demands would be way to high for the level of performances he's produced for the last couple of years. I'd rather we keep starting Goretzka who gives a shit every minute of the game and doesn't have a true weakness in his game than play Pogba and pray every week that he actually turns up.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think we'll sell for about £40m in the summer. I think there will be takers at that price. Probably Madrid.
We are a club that didn't let Romero go in the summer, despite having a first choice and back up keeper, because we valued him at around 15 million I think it was. We haggled all summer over a couple of million for Smalling. We didn't let Rojo go a free this summer when common sense dictates we should have. We have been trying to sell Lingard for 2 windows at least, without success.

People misjudge this board if they think we'll let Pogba go for 40 million. We will no doubt demand an outlandish amount, which no club will pay, and we'll be stuck with him. Then he'll probably have 10 or so decent games, we wouldn't want to look like mugs by letting him go for a free in 2022, so we'll end up offering him an insane amount of money to sign a new contract. And that will be that. 2 years later Caf will still be debating what's Pogba's best position and whether we should consider selling him.

Pep's Suit

I don't watch you that often but Pogba seems like the ultimate luxury player so yes you should sell him and rather invest CB+RW.

Pep's Suit

The only powerhouse clubs which wouldn't be interested are Liverpool (Klopp's midfielders are craftsmen, not artists) and Barcelona (they're bankrupt).

As @Tibs already pointed out, have no worries about Paul's future if we end up being fools and sell him. He'll only sign for a team challenging for all trophies available.
City wouldn't touch him now. 4-5 years back yes but not now. If City sign a CM this summer it's very likely gonna be one of Zakaria and Bennacer plus possibly re-sign Douglas Luiz.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I am going to be seriously disappointed, to the point where i wont bother watching matches if we give Pogba a new three year contract.

SouthPredators4

Ridiculous valuations. If we make him available, he will easily go for min $60mil in Jan or slightly lower in the summer. Otherwise we will play him till the end of his contract, or do a cash + player exchange.

Khalif_20

Guess that'd be a firm "no" from Bayern. His wage demands would be way to high for the level of performances he's produced for the last couple of years. I'd rather we keep starting Goretzka who gives a shit every minute of the game and doesn't have a true weakness in his game than play Pogba and pray every week that he actually turns up.
Are you seriously implying Paul wouldn't displace Muller from the CAM position? Tolisso gets regular playing time there, Paul is on another level compared to either of those.
City wouldn't touch him now. 4-5 years back yes but not now. If City sign a CM this summer it's very likely gonna be one of Zakaria and Bennacer plus possibly re-sign Douglas Luiz.
You just sound bitter knowing Paul wouldn't ever join local rivals. Despite the fact we've effectively sabotaged PP's club career 5th season going, he has deep respect and love for United.

Pep's Suit

Are you seriously implying Paul wouldn't displace Muller from the CAM position? Tolisso gets regular playing time there, Paul is on another level compared to either of those.

You just sound bitter knowing Paul wouldn't ever join local rivals. Despite the fact we've effectively sabotaged PP's club career 5th season going, he has deep respect and love for United.
You sound like Ty, to be honest.

Strelok

We are a club that didn't let Romero go in the summer, despite having a first choice and back up keeper, because we valued him at around 15 million I think it was. We haggled all summer over a couple of million for Smalling. We didn't let Rojo go a free this summer when common sense dictates we should have. We have been trying to sell Lingard for 2 windows at least, without success.

People misjudge this board if they think we'll let Pogba go for 40 million. We will no doubt demand an outlandish amount, which no club will pay, and we'll be stuck with him. Then he'll probably have 10 or so decent games, we wouldn't want to look like mugs by letting him go for a free in 2022, so we'll end up offering him an insane amount of money to sign a new contract. And that will be that. 2 years later Caf will still be debating what's Pogba's best position and whether we should consider selling him.
This. Can't agree more.

And our next manager would also have to try his best fitting this wanker into his team.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

:lol:

He's doing it himself by being shit on terms of consistency and going missing for 2/3 of the season every year.

He loves and respect the club so much that he's openly pleaded for Real to sign him and has said he wanted out along with his agent and brother repeating it multiple times.

Signing him back was one of the worst mistake the club has ever made. The manager has to play him despite him being shit most of the time and we're effectively playing with a man down when he feels like he's not up for it.

No properly run club would play this clown, which explains why we're constantly playing him.

Last edited:

TheLord

The time to sell Pogba was at least two years back when he'd have fetched close to 90m.

Not even the carefree Arab clubs will want to pay in excess of 30m for him now given that he's on the most ridiculous wages and moving him on would be impossible.

The ship has sailed. We were too late and too lazy to cash in.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Am I implying that fair-weather footballer Pogba wouldn't displace the most reliable and effective COM in the world, reigning Bundesliga assist record holder, big game player and absolute Bayern legend Thomas Müller? Yes, I rather think I am. And when Tolisso gets playing time, it's never as Müller's replacement since that guy basically never misses a game.
I'll even go a step further and make a statement: Pogba would never displace Müller in our squad.

clarkydaz

Ponder the price the board were holding him to a year ago when Madrid had an interest. That must have at least halved now. Shambles of a board

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

How on earth have we sabotaged his career? Please do explain.

mu4c_20le

Muller is the Wayne Rooney of Bayern, he will never be displaced until he physically cannot move anymore.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Am I implying that fair-weather footballer Pogba wouldn't displace the most reliable and effective COM in the world, reigning Bundesliga assist record holder, big game player and absolute Bayern legend Thomas Müller? Yes, I rather think I am. And when Tolisso gets playing time, it's never as Müller's replacement since that guy basically never misses a game.
I'll even go a step further and make a statement: Pogba would never displace Müller in our squad.
100% agree.

lex talionis

I refuse to believe that Pogba has physically deteriorated as a footballer. The problem is entirely in his head and there’s no way forum posters like us can know what the root of his mental problems are. But it does seem obvious he needs to take a break from squad duty, perhaps 2-3 weeks, to enable him to regain his focus. If he’s still in a mental hellhole in December we should seriously consider whatever offers may come our way in January.

Red4Life_#7

I haven't read much of the above, just entering the convo...

Man City played Silva, de Bruyne etc.

We need to play someone like Mc T to just sit and sweep... then give Pogba and Bruno licence to make teams worry about us attacking them. But tbh our defence isn't pacey or good enough to stop counter attacks.

Bobski

I refuse to believe that Pogba has physically deteriorated as a footballer. The problem is entirely in his head and there’s no way forum posters like us can know what the root of his mental problems are. But it does seem obvious he needs to take a break from squad duty, perhaps 2-3 weeks, to enable him to regain his focus. If he’s still in a mental hellhole in December we should seriously consider whatever offers may come our way in January.
He is defintely not as mobile as he was 3-4 years ago, not as sharp in turning with the ball. Much of that may be down to injury-short preseason-covid, but it could also be a little bit of ageing, especially with the large frame he has. Hopefully just needs to get back to peak fitness but we shouldn't discount the possibility that he has lost a little physically.

It shouldn't matter, the same thing happens to most players, but experience and maturity makes them better at 28 than 22.