Should we consider selling Pogba?

jamesjimmybyrondean

PSG actually need him. They are currently starting with a midfield of Paredes Danilo and Herrera but I don't think they have that luxury of splashing cash like they used to

GoldanoGraham

We really need to get him out this January I think to get the best possible price......the days of thinking he would be in excess of £100m are well and truly over (someone please tell Ed and the Glazers that as well). All the world's top clubs (ex oil funded) don't have the cash to splash on huge transfers now. Wages are also now a big issue for everyone - just look at what's going on at Barcelona.

If it's left to next summer we get into the realms of if he doesn't go then it means the following Jan he can sign for someone for free.....so he might just sit tight and see it out - staying around causing trouble in the camp.

Of course, there is another chain of thought/scenario.....If PP and Mino realize that he is never going to be earning the sums that he has been in wages going forward they may make a concerted effort to get him a new deal at Utd - knowing that Ed is a sucker for extending contracts on ridiculously high wages (DDG being an example).......all PP needs to do is put in a couple of decent performances and all the fanboys and Didier Deschamps will be fawning over him and Ed might just panic to save his asset and offer him top dollar to stay at Utd.......

One feels its the calm before the storm........

Can’t see him going in Jan. there will still be too much uncertainty around finances. If he goes, I think it would be the summer. If all goes well with the vaccine, then bigger clubs will be spending again then.

croadyman

We should if it means we can get a top class mobile DM who can pass the ball well too

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Forgot about him but haven't seen him when I check PSG's lineup
I think he literally came back last night and only played 7 minutes - so your point was fair enough, plus he doesn’t play in Pogba’s position.

remo

I agree that January is our best chance to unload him and PSG probably the only club that can buy him. 60-70 million would be great for us. He is turning 28 in a few months - it's time for him to go.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No way at his age that Pogba could entertain the idea of seeing out his contract. I think we are quite likely to see an improvement in his application whenever he is selected from here onwards. Pogba is never better than when he has something to prove and he is becoming increasingly irrelevant here. His problem has always been sustaining that level

Fred & McT are a much better option when we need to contain an opponent, and after last nights performance even his biggest supporters would struggle to argue that Donny isn't currently a more appealing choice when we want to open things up a little bit.

So what does he do now? I can't see him leaving in January. Spain looks off the table currently. Juve or Inter could be an outside bet next summer, but the only way January looks possible for a departure is if PSG are eliminated from our CL group and the backlash forces them into doing something outrageous. The price is the biggest question. What exactly is he worth now? I can't see United entertaining anything less than £60-70m. We could do a lot with that money in the current market.

united for life

Can’t see him going in Jan. there will still be too much uncertainty around finances. If he goes, I think it would be the summer. If all goes well with the vaccine, then bigger clubs will be spending again then.
I don’t think that either. But he has to go in the summer. He’s been a problem recently rather than a solution on and off the pitch.

I really still struggle to see what he is good at and what makes him “world class”. For me, he is someone who slows play, loses the ball often, sometimes careless, can’t defend, doesn’t score enough.

I really hope he goes in the summer. We have good players working hard for the shirt. He isn’t

VivaRonaldo85

Clearly the answer to the OP is yes, but will we be able to is a much harder question to answer. He might appeal to a continental club ala R Madrid, Inter, Juve etc. but he is a square peg in a round hole for our team that we can do without IMO, and he isn't going to be staying here as an impact sub.

AchillesMaxx

Please get rid of this shit PP who never seems serious about his role in the team. While you are paying so much wage to some player and the team don’t get 100% efforts from him, is Man Utd too generous or foolish for keeping the player? It was a mistake to bring him back to the club after leaving for free. It was even a greater mistake to choose a player over a manager which made him look like being on par with Messi Ronaldo level. Would you look at how he performs when he is in national team? He may need to play alongside a pure DMF with great mobility and positioning to reach out 100% of potential yet he still needs to contribute 100% on the field for what he is paid for. No employer would hire an employee who cheats on their duties or responsibilities!

ReallyUSA

Love the guy's personality. He reminds me of the wide receivers we have here in the states, and I think that's why I gravitate towards him. However, consistently being hurt (which has been brought up here often, but mainstream should really focus on that) to multiple managers deciding to drop him for whatever reason to lastly him consistently flirting with other teams when the manager and the players have their back against the wall is just too much. Go back to Juve, go to Madrid, go to Paris, who cares just go get your money and win without putting in a full effort each time. It's easy to coast when you are playing fecking Udinese.

SpanishMain

Get what we can for him in January (50 to 100) off load the wages. We aren't using him that much anyway, injured or not first choice.
Only problem with January is that if would put us one midfielder down unless replaced. I we lose one or two to injury the replacements
are not the same quality as Pogba.

Strelok

Imo in this climate no one would like to splash their cash out, even those oil money, they have FFP over their head. Plus, his current form doesn't help either. He's no longer the hot deal he was.

So, a swap deal would be ideal I think. But for swap deals, just forget the hot ones, clubs generally only swap players they consider surplus or somehow doesn't perform well. I like Griezmann, something is clearly wrong with him at Barca. But imo he's still a very quality player who could play anywhere across the attack line. He seems to be very professional and a good chap I think.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hes not going to go for a huge fee. Even if Covid didn't exist. Hes just not worth it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Imo in this climate no one would like to splash their cash out, even those oil money, they have FFP over their head. Plus, his current form doesn't help either. He's no longer the hot deal he was.

So, a swap deal would be ideal I think. But for swap deals, just forget the hot ones, clubs generally only swap players they consider surplus or somehow doesn't perform well. I like Griezmann, something is clearly wrong with him at Barca. But imo he's still a very quality players who could play anywhere across the attack line. He seems to be very professional and a good chap I think.
I was thinking similar the other day. I’d really like Grieezman here and it’s not happening for him at Barca.

Strelok

I was thinking more for buying him than swapping him actually. He’d be a very useful player, very versatile.

Aren’t he and Pogba very good friends also?
Yeah it seems.

Buying him would still be very expensive I think. They bought him for €120m just more than a year ago. Pogba is a year younger though so a swap deal sounds fair to me.

Anyway, this is just some hopeful thought. Imo it would be a very sensible deal for all parties involved. But looking at our Ed and his mate, tbh my hope is very low.

Regarding the financial perspective of this deal. Barca is struggling with their cash flow to a point of danger of bankruptcy. While we're doing pretty fine with ours. We surely can do a Pjanic with them. For example we'll buy Griezmann for £100m and they agree on a one year loan + £100m for Pogba. That would help everyone I think. That way Ed would look much better before the Glazers I think. He'd even make a 'profit' on Pogba.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I was thinking more for buying him than swapping him actually. He’d be a very useful player, very versatile.

Aren’t he and Pogba very good friends also?
Swap deal is good but buying will be bad idea and not worth for the investment given he’s 29 as well in my opinion.

His best position is behind the number 9 which Bruno takes the role, he can play on the left & right in similar role that Mata is given which means he can be very useful if we get him.

However, buying means he will cost lot of money and not worthy because the role we will give him won’t make him as effective as how France & Atl Madrid used him.

Although, as current team, I do see Pogba will improve Barcelona more than United. While Griezmann will improve United more than Barcelona. Griezmann and Messi just don’t work well together due to their similar style and Griezmann is an upgrade of Mata in XI.

Strelok

Sometimes this is all we have!
Sure thing.

Tbh if I was Ed I'd definitely push for this deal.

Rather than having to answer before the Glazers why I sold their £89m asset for £50m or worse, lost him for free. In this case I'd even make a 'profit' on him. Commercially speaking Griezmann would sell as much as Pogba as well I think.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If Griezmann can't play on the right then there's no point for a swap deal. I haven't seen him on the right to judge but if he's good enough there and Barcelona also need Pogba then a swap between would actually make sense

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wonder what he'd go for in the summer if it's going to pan out the way we think, i.e. no new contract signed, him wanting out and entering the final year of his deal.

I don't think a club would offer more than EUR 50m for him. Uncertain environment, the Spanish/Italian clubs aren't really mega rich either.

Strelok

An update on Griezmann.

According to reports he's currently on £800k a week :houllier:

CM10

Ordinarily I think now would be the correct time to cash in on Pogba. We'd probably end up getting stung on the fee because he hasn't played well for us recently and there aren't many big teams with money to throw around at the moment.

I think he could be a very good signing for a team like PSG but who knows whether he'd want that or if the club would be prepared to let him go.

Pablo76

He will be packing his bags and off to Juventus again in the summer, with Ronaldo finally coming home as part of the deal.

Son

He will be packing his bags and off to Juventus again in the summer, with Ronaldo finally coming home as part of the deal.
Ronaldo is never happening but I’d love it to just for old times sake.