Should we consider selling Pogba?

Stacks

The player of the month award has a lot to do with the role that you play like almost every other award. Attacking players are more likely to win them because there is an emphasis put on raw statistics such as goals and assists. The only none scoring/assisting player that has won it in the last 4 years is Van Dijk.
True and Pogba isn't a defender. Nor is he dominating player nor a player who controls a game and thus his main places to excel are going to be attacking output like his assist yesterday.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Pogba is obviously a touchy subject for many. Apologies to those who wanted stats or facts to "prove" pogba is a better player than bruno, I politely decline. You are free to think Bruno is better. Paul Pogba at his peak is the best midfielder in the world for me. No other midfielder has his combination of shooting, passing, dribbling, strength, vision, touch. He falls short in the defensive side of his game and it is a shame that he's been asked to play mainly as one of two holding midfielders to help protect our slow cbs but it is what it is. Would be really interesting to see what a modern progressive coach could/would get out of pogba. .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pogba is obviously a touchy subject for many. Apologies to those who wanted stats or facts to "prove" pogba is a better player than bruno, I politely decline. You are free to think Bruno is better. Paul Pogba at his peak is the best midfielder in the world for me. No other midfielder has his combination of shooting, passing, dribbling, strength, vision, touch. He falls short in the defensive side of his game and it is a shame that he's been asked to play mainly as one of two holding midfielders to help protect our slow cbs but it is what it is. Would be really interesting to see what a modern progressive coach could/would get out of pogba. .
Only if other midfielders aren't at their peak because Pogba is way too inconsistent and flawed to be the best in the world.

kopviolator

That's probably why in my opinion. No one can or will buy him right now. United may be a very very low underdog of sneaking a title win when you look at stats and league positions and when you look at how he is suddenly playing better than ever when he is almost guaranteed to leave it all seems to be coming together where he could potentially be playing for the benefit for us and the benefit for his individuality too.
It's just wonderful when mutual benefits come together innit? Anyway I hope he turns in a shift every game until he leaves. We might as well try to enjoy his last weeks here. If everything works out we may manage to get back in the CL. I mean that's our aspirations now, right?

Stacks

would love it if he played a blinder for the rest of the season and helped us win the title before leaving.

Would people forgive him?

It's a bit like Beckham in his final Madrid season.

Smores

As soon as people realise he's not a match winner nor an assist king, they'll realise how much he does under the radar every game. People get stressed out when he doesn't score 15 a season or assist every week.

He he operates very well, knits things together, provides the rest of the team with the platform to create. His issue is he cost £80 odd million and for some reason, fans love to obsess over price tags. That, and his agent of course. But agent and fee aside, the player Paul Pogba, is top level.

I just don't trust him over a long period of games, as there can be a lapse of concentration against top opposition.
As a midfielder if you don't offer defensive protection or goals and assists you have to be next level at the rest.

In reality he's slow on the ball and prone to lapses of concentration which are massive weaknesses for a midfield controller. He's basically what became known as Bad Carrick on here when he had some questionable seasons. Pinging the ball to either flank isn't bringing enough.

That said i thought he was decent enough in the last two games. I'm intrigued to see how he'll do against Leeds and their pressing.

el3mel

Yeah no. Modric is better.

Fridge chutney

Pogba isn't a touchy subject for me. That's a lame way to reduce other people's arguments. I simply disagree with your assessment about the player. He is not the best midfielder in the world, nor is he the best player at United currently. Statistics and consensus among footballing professionals (insofar as we can tell by annual voted awards) would agree.

I do agree, however, that, if he plays a more forward role, he is more effective and shines a lot more than if he is asked to sit deep as a defensive midfield pivot. However, he has had plenty of chances to shine in a variety of positions during his 4 year tenure here. He has sometimes been man of the match, and he's gone through some excellent spells. But he has not reached the consistent heights that Bruno has at United nor has he had the impact that Bruno has had on our team and results.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's not really a debate who's better out of Bruno and Pogba is it? I mean, unless you're an idiot.

I also don't know why people feel the need to criticise Bruno to try and defend Pogba. Ole doesn't even play them in the same position. It's actually perfectly possible to rate Pogba and defend him until you're blue in the face, without the need to bring Fernandes into it in order to discredit yourself with sillyness.

I also don't really get the point in debating whether we should "consider selling" a player who so obviously wants to leave, and who has repeatedly caused disruption to the team due to his desire to leave.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Pogba is Zizou without the ability to control a game or to get stuck in. He goes missing for large parts but has 2 or 3 moments of sheer brilliance. As we saw with his roulette. Rewind the 45 more seconds and you'll see him lose the ball 3 times.

Stacks

Pogba is Zizou without the ability to control a game or to get stuck in. He goes missing for large parts but has 2 or 3 moments of sheer brilliance. As we saw with his roulette. Rewind the 45 more seconds and you'll see him lose the ball 3 times.
Zizou was a tough son of a gun. Quite vicious. He had a lot of red cards for an attacking midfielder. One thing I remember about watching United vs Real was how un-phased Zizou and Figo were playing against Scholes and Keane flying in and playing physical. They just bounced them off. I think Keane said Zidane was the hardest he faced because he was 6-2 and built like a brickhouse

united for life

1- haven’t seen these consistently enough to call him the best midfielder in the world. That’s a very big statement. I truly wish it was correct. But it’s not!

2- he has been played everywhere. A CM, left side of a 3, AM. He had the chance to prove his worth but he didn’t. Bruno joined, slid nicely into the starting 11 and delivered everything we’ve been hoping Pogba delivers whether in terms of quality on the pitch, leadership on the pitch and attitude off the pitch.

i personally am not interested in giving him more chances especially that he wants to leave (i will also not get carried away with the 2 good games he’s had recently). We’ve done so much as a team to “unlock him”. There comes a time where we have to draw a line.

Stacks

1- haven’t seen these consistently enough to call him the best midfielder in the world. That’s a very big statement. I truly wish it was correct. But it’s not!

2- he has been played everywhere. A CM, left side of a 3, AM. He had the chance to prove his worth but he didn’t. Bruno joined, slid nicely into the starting 11 and delivered everything we’ve been hoping Pogba delivers whether in terms of quality on the pitch, leadership on the pitch and attitude off the pitch.

i personally am not interested in giving him more chances especially that he wants to leave (i will also not get carried away with the 2 good games he’s had recently). We’ve done so much as a team to “unlock him”. There comes a time where we have to draw a line.
These dudes may aswell say Nani was the best winger in the world because no other winger could combine the level of quickness, crossing, striking, dribbling, all on both feet.

dal

Of course he played well against the team with 1 point in the league:lol:.

He’s a tactical liability and I believe he’s a front three player and probably our worst.

Hes not trusted in midfield. I seriously believe we swap him for Grealish and we instantly become bonafide title contenders.

Cathy Ferguson

Would Real be willing to swap Varane? Maybe not in January but in the summer? What are Real's options at CB?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
As soon as people realise he's not a match winner nor an assist king, they'll realise how much he does under the radar every game. People get stressed out when he doesn't score 15 a season or assist every week.

He he operates very well, knits things together, provides the rest of the team with the platform to create. His issue is he cost £80 odd million and for some reason, fans love to obsess over price tags. That, and his agent of course. But agent and fee aside, the player Paul Pogba, is top level.

I just don't trust him over a long period of games, as there can be a lapse of concentration against top opposition.
Those two bolded parts contradict each other. With the first bit I strongly disagree, in fact our all other midfielders do it better than him. He is the last player to create a "platform" for others, he actually plays for himself. However, he is the only player who can make those passes from the deep so I have no problem with playing him against opponents like Sheffield. But keeping in mind it's guaranteed he'll lose the ball on a few occasions in dangerous area, he needs to be picked in right games or positions.

Bruno is not on pogbas level as a footballer. He has been more efficient for us i'll give you that.
Bruno is not even Pogba competition at this point. Fred is.
These dudes may aswell say Nani was the best winger in the world because no other winger could combine the level of quickness, crossing, striking, dribbling, all on both feet.
Exactly. It's all based on clips combining his best moves from many games. It only proves he's a flashy player, nothing more. Midfielder doesn't need to be that to be effective. In fact I can't think of any midfielder that plays similar risky style to Pogba.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Cantonagotmehere

would love it if he played a blinder for the rest of the season and helped us win the title before leaving.

Would people forgive him?

It's a bit like Beckham in his final Madrid season.
Serious question, was Beckham's effort and hustle ever a question? Tough for me to forgive Pogba for the way he has played here, but a title would help!

Stacks

Lampard showing his superior IQ. Pogba's staunchest supporters just don't get it. The type that get hyped over playground footballers (I am not saying Paul is one) and claim they can play professionally because they have skill and moments of brilliance. I don't want to be riding Lampard's nuts but he is spot on here. A true student who knows what he is talking about and able to produce a critical analysis rather than the basic commentary of "Pogba is world class." or he just needs
  1. play left of a 3
  2. XYZ player to unlock him
  3. freedom of responsibility (this wasn;t the case in the world cup)
  4. better supporting cast
  5. better manager/tactics
Lampard rightfully identified his (Paul's) weaknesses which hold him back more than any manager, tactic, personnel can.

Mindhunter

Are people still trying to argue that we haven't set up the team to get the best out of him?

He is certainly not a pure number 10 because he lacks the agility, movement, and the quick thinking needed in that role. He does have the creativity and the vision to play the killer ball but doesn't get into goalscoring positions enough and that role definitely needs to contribute with goalscoring.

I think he has had his shot and needs to move both for his own sake and for ours. He is a brilliant player on his day but the simple fact is that I don't trust him to really play for the team and give his all when it matters the most. That's why we consistently bring out grafters like Fred and McTominay for tougher fixtures than him. He is a Rolls Royce which can only come out on paved roads and when speed isn't a factor.