Should we give up on Anthony Martial?

Someone

Something
He should be sent on loan to get regular football, and who knows, but staying at united this season won't do him or united any good.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The problem I have with Martial is that when things don't go his way he is just a terrible player to have. I honestly can't recall when was the last time he had a good game from the bench. If you bring on Rashford from the bench you just know he is going to give his all with his directness and pace. Cavani will bleed on the pitch. Even lingard and James sometimes have excellent substitute performances. There is no point of keeping him as an option. I honestly would rather see anyother player given 20 minutes to change the game then Martial.
Bingo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...all/man-utd-anthony-martial-news-21285942.amp

""With the season I had last year, and the niggling injuries I had which prevented me from being at 100 per cent, I've since put in my best prep work, so as to be sure of coming back in the best form I can," he added. "And I hope I can get to my full fitness level as quickly as possible now, to set me up for a great season this time round."

At least Martial ain't dodging the pressure. He knows this season is his last big chance to prove he can be counted on.
Read carefully how easily he wrote off the entire fecking season because he wasn't "100%" all the time. What do you mean "best prep work" since, what the hell did you do during the season? Rashford was also injured and while he played like crap at times, never did he look half arsed. The majority of footballers aren't "100%" all the time when they are cleared by the doctors to play.

What if you don't start the season in your "best form" or at "full fitness", Anto? Do you sulk? Half assed performances from the bench? Some more hand gestures when the best midfielders in the world make passes that require you to move?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think we should loan him out and see if he can refind himself. That way we can get a better fee for him in a years time.
Good plan in theory.

We'd have to cover most of his salary, though - he's extremely well paid. No potential club who might want him on loan is going to pay anywhere near what he's on.

(And won't pay anywhere near it should he impress enough on loan to make them interested in a permanent deal).

Compare it to the Lingard situation. And then factor in that Martial is on more than twice the money Lingard's on per his current contract.

Varane around town

Martial has always come across as a confidence player to me.

So it's unsurprising that he's dropped off so much now he's obviously not 1st choice- arguably barely 2nd choice- in either of his positions.

georgipep

Sure, it's exactly why we still have players like jones, lingaard, dalot, martial, Matic all at the club. We're not ruthless when we need to be.

But clearly you're more interested in internet forum clout, so carry on.
Do you not realize that to sell a player there needs to be an interested buyer?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He is not 19 anymore. He just cant cut it
Agreed.
He should now be considered a senior player, given that he has been playing regularly for us in the EPL for quite a while, under 3 managers.
He'd do well at a club where winning trophies is not essential. Unfortunately for us and him, we need to win trophies. I think Ole also sees this which is why he brought in Cavani and has been desperate to sign a striker.

davidmichael

I think once Rashford comes back that’s Rashford and Pogba for the left, Cavani and Greenwood up top, Sancho and James or Diallo on the right with Fernandes, Mata and Lingard all at 10 and for me Martial is third choice in each position so he’s nothing more than a squad player at best now but has no one to blame but himself.

Martial was given the role he wanted as top billing up front and yes he scored a good amount of goals a couple of seasons ago but that was matched by Rashford from out wide and Rashford pre injury was by far the better performer too, last season was a nightmare for Martial as he was awful to the point we might as well have played with 10 men.

It isn’t a case anymore now of him being a young player who’ll get better and it simply a case of he doesn’t have the mindset to be a top player or the ability to genuinely lead the line, as for being a bench option I find he sulks when he’s benched so performs even worse when coming off the bench in comparison to when he starts so as a bench option he’s even worse so I think we should cut our ties with him and hope to get £25-£30 million for him to reinvest in midfield.

Abraxas

It feels pretty likely that feelers were put out this summer to sell the guy but he is more or less unmovable. I don't think we could get a fee that represents his supposed ability or recoups much of the money paid for him. Even then a club has to meet his expectations.

I think we had to sell him the season before last. This is a theme for us, we don't recognise when a player's stock is high, we assume they're going to break the habits of a lifetime rather than the harsher reality being faced. Which is that he's a flakey player that isn't fit for a top side. Even if he turns this season into a good one he should be on the market next summer.

Jeffthered

Just think we should cash in. He has had plenty opps, and doesn't seem to reflect the attacking energy that we benefit from. Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Bruno, James.. they all, all, consistently approach their game with more (far, far more..) energy and commitment. That has nothing to do with skill.

Why keep him? Let him go, probably do his career some good.

Ole90+3

Just think we should cash in. He has had plenty opps, and doesn't seem to reflect the attacking energy that we benefit from. Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Bruno, James.. they all, all, consistently approach their game with more (far, far more..) energy and commitment. That has nothing to do with skill.

Why keep him? Let him go, probably do his career some good.
No one is going to be willing to take on his £250k a week contract. So another player we are stuck with until the end of his contract because we give out ridiculous wages on long term like they are going out of fashion.

Siezard

I don't think Martial has an attitude problem. He does have the skills and still have the speed. It's great to see him being so serious and bald.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Now that Ronaldo is here I hope we sell Martial before the window closes and use the funds to bring in a midfielder

Scholsey2004

Now that Ronaldo is here I hope we sell Martial before the window closes and use the funds to bring in a midfielder
Yeah, he's third choice striker behind Ronaldo and Cavani and 3rd choice on the left behind Pogba and Rashford. Whatever you think of his attitude, workrate etc he's not going to be getting many games now. I wouldnt put it past Ronaldo to still be first choice striker in 3 years. The guys a total machine.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Yeah, he's third choice striker behind Ronaldo and Cavani and 3rd choice on the left behind Pogba and Rashford. Whatever you think of his attitude, workrate etc he's not going to be getting many games now. I wouldnt put it past Ronaldo to still be first choice striker in 3 years. The guys a total machine.
Agreed.

Luke1995

He is a quality option to have on the bench and start cup matches here and there. We need not only squad depth but good squad depth

Having Ronaldo and Rashford/Greenwood as starters with Cavani and Martial on the bench is great. You just never know when someone will get injured. Its Oles job to manage the hurt egos

People worry about the midfield situation but I still think McFred can improve and be a good partnership. Matic is a good bench option.