Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty McT

De Gea's all round game has never been all that. He is (or was) an amazing shot stopper, but he's never commanded his area, lacks leadership, he's unconvincing at dealing with corners, and since we're obsessed with playing the ball out from the back these days, it's become more and more obvious that his distribution is woeful. Towards the end of last season it seemed like every time he had possession it was just a matter of time before the opposition had a decent chance.

No way you can give him a new contract based on those alleged numbers.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anybody that has been watching his performances for the past year and a half, and still thinks that we should still offer him a new contract, is part of the reason why we are a mid-table side right now.
we should have sold him 2 years ago after he refused to sign a new contract. We would then have used the money to bring in a replacement. Instead here we are in a position were we either give him what he wants or else he will walk for free next summer. If he does well somewhere else then we'll be the laughing stock especially since its evident that the Glazers are in no mood for a spending spree. We'll probably end up with Romero as no 1 and some 'hungry guy' from the academy as no 2.

Alabaster Codify7

Nope, get rid of him. His form has been horrible for about 12-13 games now and this is no longer seeming like a slump. It seems like he's become a liability. If we hand him a record-breaking new contract, we'll be making a Sanchez-level mistake.

If Ole has any bottle, he'd drop him for the next game and play Romero. Henderson can come back and compete for the #1 jersey next season or if he's not good enough, we sign a top-class replacement in the summer instead. Either way, persisting with DDG is a mistake.

Redtings

Nope, get rid of him. His form has been horrible for about 12-13 games now and this is no longer seeming like a slump. It seems like he's become a liability. If we hand him a record-breaking new contract, we'll be making a Sanchez-level mistake.

If Ole has any bottle, he'd drop him for the next game and play Romero. Henderson can come back and compete for the #1 jersey next season or if he's not good enough, we sign a top-class replacement in the summer instead. Either way, persisting with DDG is a mistake.
Agreed. I think he is on a slow decline, and hasn't shown the consistency he's shown in his previous seasons. Giving him a new contract would just basically be rewarding him for what he's done previously for Moyes, Van Gal, and Mourinho.

He'll have one or two excellent games this season, which will remind people who good he can be, rather than how good he is...the consistency is just not there anymore. I personally don't feel confident of him making an excellent save (especially when we really need it).

Lebowski

This was another situation that was handled badly / not handled at all during our poor summer.

We neither signed him to a new deal or sold him in the summer so we are faced with the prospect of signing him up to a contract his current performances don't at all deserve, or losing him for free and having to shell out £50m+ for a replacement.

We should have given him a deadline during the summer to either sign a new deal, or hand in a transfer request. If he picked the former, we'd have a player committed to United who could concentrate on recovering his form without the distractions of contract negotiations or wondering where he'll be in 12 months. If he picked the latter, we'd be able to sell him for a decent price and replace him with a player who wants to be here.

The fact that we're in a situation where our highest paid player (Sanchez), our best outfield player (Pogba), our best performer post-Ferguson (De Gea), and our best goal scorer (Lukaku) all either have massive question marks over their future, or have left and not been replaced (Lukaku) really shows the lack of forward planning and direction from the club.

ExecutionerWasp001

It's clear to see we won't be putting up high numbers on the goal scoring column this season. The games we win are going to go down to 1 or 2 goal swings. We cannot afford to have DDG throwing the ball into his net every 2/3 games. If the mistakes last season were due to a temporary loss of form he would have got through it by now. He's either lacking focus due to wanting a move or he's gone altogether. Hopefully someone makes an offer before the TW ends & we let him leave.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
A broken fax machine was the one that stop his transfer to Madrid...he hasnt really been linked to any club besides Madrid and when they came calling for him he answered. So I dont think "loyal" is specially a good adjetive.
To be fair, the reason that deal fell through is because Real Madrid spent the entire window wanting him to start causing issues and forcing a move through so they could get him for cheap (as they and Barca always do). He refused to do any of that, until they got desperate and at the last minute submitted the deal that we'd wanted all summer. Something happened at that stage which slowed the deal down and it ended up being too late.

Real then spent the next two seasons making it fairly obvious they still wanted De Gea to cause a scene and really push for a move, but he never showed any interest in any of it. So while he may not have shown perfect loyalty, he was still fairly loyal.

Real basically did the same thing with Pogba this year for the same result. He made one comment and his agent made one comment so that we all knew he wanted to move, but it was then left at that and they didn't do anything to really cause a stink and try to force us to sell. Without him doing that Real never really stood any chance of getting him.

SteveW

He's a liability and costing us very regularly.

Without his collapse last season we'd have scraped 4th place.

We cant rely on him and if the club Sanchez themselves again with him they deserve to fecking fail.

Mal donaghy

No way on gods green earth is he worth £350,000 A WEEK!!!! theres gotta be a cheaper, better, option available somewhere, at the moment Romero's better.

RuudTom83

I love Dave but his big payday was when he signed his last contract. The next one (if it’s at United) should be the same or less.

His only chance of getting a bumper pay package now, would be if a new club could sign him for nothing.

Which is what will happen (I feel)

JMack1234

He's still a brilliant 'keeper but his clearly not himself at the moment.

He had a nightmare World Cup in 2018, isn't great with his feet and for the first time since he first joined the club you will he has a big mistake in him.

Devil81

Of course we should. He's been loyal to us and we should stick with him.
Really!!

He's tried on several occasions to move away. United value him too high and now he's expecting a contract that could become a heavy chain around his foot we might never be able to shift him Sanchez style.

If in a years time Henderson is the bee's knees we will be gutted we didn't cash in on De Gea.

Sing you a song

Degea is taking the club for a ride he has no intention of signing a new contract in the short term .
He will hang on until Jan to see how the club is performing and if the prospects of top 4 look unlikely he will be on his bike regardless of the fact that it is likely that his mistakes ( like last season) are likely to be the determining factor .
He is in decline and the thought of giving him a massive pay rise for underperforming is frankly ridiculous.
Drop him now put Romero in in the short term and plan a future without him. He has had his day no longer world number 1 or even best in the prem like Pogba he thinks he is better than he actually is

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
The club set a precedent making that stupid little video for De Gea's mate, Herrera, when he decided to leave us at the end of his contract to go to a better team. I can already see it now, big Dave agreeing a contract with Juve and leaving us in an identical manner to Ander Herrera. In fairness to De Gea he owes us nothing and his been a class player, but the writing is on the wall here and it might be for the best anyway since he might very well be declining.

Big chance for Henderson to prove himself this season, he keeps on doing the right things and he'll be a regular starter for a Europa League level team for years to come (Maybe Champions League when the Glazers feck off and we actually start acting like an ambitious club again:))

captain666

He has had ample time to sign a ludicrous contract and has shown no inclination to do so.Withdraw the offer immediately and start making plans for the future.

Enigma_87

You know who
Much like Pogba he seems that he doesn't want to be here.

Needs someone to fire him up, the quality is still there IMO.

Adamsk7

What’s Henderson been like this season? Haven’t really had a chance to check him out.

Enigma_87

You know who
What’s Henderson been like this season? Haven’t really had a chance to check him out.
He's a starter for Sheffield. Not sure if the agreement was that we can recall him this season, but even if we do, I'm not sure if it is a good idea considering he most likely will get 30-40 games under his belt this year and will be very good for his development.

ekestubbe

Juventus will probably sign him up in January and add him to their list of free transfers among Dani Alves, Rabiot, Ramsey, Pirlo, Can, Khedira and probably some more I forgot. Also, their current keeper is an old Arsenal-reject so De Gea might actually be an upgrade for them.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
At the very least he needs to be dropped.

We cannot have him throwing them them in this season.

davidmichael

Seems to me De Gea verbally agreed a new contract so we didn’t sell him this summer as no one needed a keeper desperately and so he can go on a free next summer and claim a huge signing on fee.

His form has been awful for his standards for a good few months so if it doesn’t improve by end of September then recall Henderson and see if he’s better than Romero then sell De Gea in January so we at least recoup back what we paid for him.

Alabaster Codify7

I agree - this has Juventus next summer on a free written ALL over it the more I think about it. Everything makes sense when you think about it. DDG gets to join CL contenders, win league titles and play alongside Ronaldo, Dybala, De Ligt, Rabiot etc.

I'd drop him soon. Play Romero and make a decision on the situation by Jan/Feb - if Henderson is having a top season at Sheff Utd, bite the bullet and bring him back to compete with Romero. If he's stuttering a bit, spend time scouting a top-class GK and spend big in the summer.

baskinginthesun

Bit of weird one. His mistakes are starting to add up (to the point where we are dropping points) but, I would still offer him a new contract. At this point in his career he will gain experience. Everything else is what we get. While not really great at distribution he is still a phenomenal shot stopper and should be rewarded for that. Plus, there is something about him which makes me like him. But, take away the captaincy. He is not vocal enough to organize that back line, let alone the entire team.

However, this should be a contract based on performances now as he is starting to cost us points.

Luke1995

What ? Do people think Romero is better ? Of course he should get a new contract and as much money as he wants!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just to understand, in the hypothetical and super super unlikely scenario that he'd changed his mind about a new deal (or the club, for that matter) and he'd be sold within the next week, could Henderson be recalled (like a few have suggested on here)? It would seem quite crazy that a Premier League club could get an important loan deal only for it to be terminated a few weeks later with no option to fix that.

Red_toad

What ? Do people think Romero is better ? Of course he should get a new contract and as much money as he wants!
Wages should be based on performance. He's not been at his best for over 18 months, so does he really deserve a massive pay increase? I personally don't think so.

Foxbatt

He got beaten in the near post and yes he should have used his feet but he did pull off two tremendous saves against Chelsea to keep us in the game too. That goal should never have been allowed. Someone ought to have committed a professional foul in the middle of the pitch before it got to our box.

Matt.H

Give him till the first half of the season ffs. Form is temporary but class is permanent.

PieCrust

Not for the reported wages. Something that should have been addressed over the summer. Should have sold him if a deal wasn't struck and brought in Oblak. I'm not against giving Henderson a shot, but you don't just recall him from loan and throw him to the first team, it would probably ruin him as a GK with the pressure and of course the mistakes he's going to make as he continues to develop. I guess if we're a shitshow in January, then why not, but still, just another bumbling of the roster by Ed not being able to come to conclusion with De Gea one way or another.

I have no ill will towards De Gea, he's been nothing but utterly professional and for most of his United career, a world class GK. I just have some real concerns with his performances going back to last year and for the type of GK he is, which is a top class reactionary shot stopper, I'm worried that his best days are behind him. He's not the type of GK that as the attributes to command play into his mid to late thirties.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We should have let him go in the summer. That compilation in the OP isn’t even comprehensive, I can think of a few more that were even missing, such as that ridiculous Xhaka goal at the Emirates last season that started our decline in the first place, and some questionable ones at Goodison.

It will be utterly irresponsible of us to allow him to keep doing this shit. It’s cost us again already this season, and if we keep this going due to some sort of ‘loyalty’ nonsense it will be totally unprofessional.

Depending on how Henderson gets on this year, he should replace him next summer if this continues, if not, someone else.

RedFish

Nope. Let's create another unecessary humonguus problem for ourselves by offloading a perfectly brilliant keeper just because the caf exists to be mental.

Right feck off while I go and bury these animals that I murdered with Gregg's cream cakes way past their sell by date.

Reddevil1978

I would let his contract expire, we don't want to sign him on a 5+1 year option at 350k a week only for his form to maybe never recover.

He's never been good at playing out from the back. A great reflex shot stopper but I honestly think we could improve on him now.

Glad we had him in his prime, shame we wasted it.

RedDevil-85

I want De Gea to stay and sign a new deal but not on the crazy wages that is being reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.