Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Can anyone explain from a sports perspective, why a goalkeeper may start to decline at the age of 28?

The likes of Dino Zoff, Peter Shilton, VDS played perfectly at their 40s even.

crossy1686

career ending
Can anyone explain from a sports perspective, why a goalkeeper may start to decline at the age of 28?

It’s not necessarily a physical thing, more a psychological. Like a heavyweight champion boxer who gets knocked out by a young no-body.

How do you maintain that hunger and desire to be the best when you’ve won everything and never have to work again? Or in De Gea’s case, how do you maintain that desire to be the best and play for Madrid when they’re not interested in you because you’ve bottled big games for Spain and don’t represent value for money?

Cypherage

It's not a case of offering him a new contract as I thought United had already done that, its more along the lines of Dave and his camp refusing said contract and negotiations were ongoing, I do not think he wants to be at United any more.

I do not think his heart is in it any longer, and the more mistakes that he makes, the more his confidence will drop, and the more errors will happen, defence is starting to have work done to it, but what assurance will it give are defenders knowing that is goalkeeper is prone to making mistakes all of a sudden.

I would say drop De Gea for a couple of games and give Romero a chance, If Dave no longer wishes to be here then so be it, but why continue playing a keeper that's cost United points already.

peridigm

I don't think he should be the first name on the team sheet anymore. It's time to give him some competition and give Romero minutes. I don't think Ole has the balls to do that.

El-Manos

At that point now where I don’t care anymore. We’ll find a suitable replacement if he does feck off. He’s no longer carrying this team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Not sure if it's physical or mental, but De Gea was always likely to decline relatively early compared to some other top keepers who can stay at the top of their game until their mid-to-late 30's (or even VDS having probably his best ever season at the age of 40 in his final year). De Gea has always relied incredibly strongly on his pure reactions and shot-stopping ability. Those kinds of physical gifts will decline earlier than most other aspects.

I doubt anyone expected it to start at the age of 27 though. I was expecting around 30 or 31. That's why I'm not sure how much of this is physical and how much is mental. 27 seems a bit too early; although in saying that he did start playing first team when he was 17 so maybe it's just caught up to him.

Mailo

On our terms - yes. (Knowing Ed, definite no)
On his and his agents terms - definitely no.

UnitedChampionsAgain

If it's only money which persuades him to stay at United then I'm all for showing him the door. Clown needs to realise he's playing for the biggest club in the world.

Full bodied red

The usual problem, innit ?

All the discussion about whether we should sell him - but to who ??

Has anyone actually made contact with an offer to buy him ??

Strange, but of the four most unlikely ' keepers ' , one has found a new home and the other appears to have found a new home in Italy. And the two others very quickly found new homes in France and China.

Meanwhile, the two we think are world class and appear to want away from OT, we've had no offers for

I think that tells us that the opinions on here aren't always matched by the professionals.

Robin

My feeling is he has not signed his new contract yet and I’m not expecting him too, he is deliberately letting it run out to enable him to go on a free at the end of the season and enabling him to sign a pre contract agreement in January and therefore getting a huge signing on fee for himself.
Think about it, he must be on about £150k a week now ( guessing ) and was offered a new £350k per week deal a year ago, so missing out on 50 weeks @£200k for a year is about £10m he has missed out on so I’m convinced he doesn’t want to sign and is gambling on a £20m signing on fee.

Falcow

Casillas declined at a similar ish age I think? Even if ddg regained his form he was never great with ball at his feet or commanding his area. I agree with other posters in here re him winding down his contract, I think that would be best for all at this point, he doesnt owe us anything to be fair to him, he would probably have 3 CL medals by now had he joined madrid that time.

sugar_kane

Here's my misery strewn prediction:
  • He signs a new contract amidst usual tabloid bleating (although probably true) that he's only doing it for the insane pay packet
  • Despite signing the contract he continues to be average to shite all season and into next
  • We can't get rid and we're stuck with him on a mental contract
  • We end up paying half his wages for him to play at PSG

-Supreme-

@Red_toad he deserves more money than Sanchez that's for sure
Many have failed to realise the reason Sanchez was given this contract was 100% down to his exceptional performances and seasons he had before he left Arsenal.

Whereas with De Gea's case, is it justified giving him this contract when he's been off form for this length of time?

Red_toad

@Red_toad he deserves more money than Sanchez that's for sure
Pretty irrelevant as we’re not renewing Sanchez’s contract. Club can’t renegotiate contracts so players who don’t perform agree to take less. Going forward club needs to base contracts on where a play is at, not where he was 18 months ago.

Luke1995

Many have failed to realise the reason Sanchez was given this contract was 100% down to his exceptional performances and seasons he had before he left Arsenal.

Whereas with De Gea's case, is it justified giving him this contract when he's been off form for this length of time?
I think it is when there is not a clear world class keeper available in the market

steve.crowford

But who could replace it? Thomas Strakosha, Andre Onana, Andriy Lunin, Jordan Pickford ?
It should be a young but already played at a high level goalkeeper with a crazy reaction, take penalties in super important matches, must have leadership skills and reputation to lead the entire defensive line of the team. If you look at the market, who could be cheaper than DeGea? There are no such people, Oblak and etc. will require the same big contracts as DeGea, so he should be extended.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
We renewed Jones, Mata, Darmian, Rojo's contracts but we shouldn't offer DDG one. That makes sense.

romufc

No. If he doesnt want to sign, let him go and play Henderson next year.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I love how the fact he made a mistake at the weekend is being attributed to this so called ongoing decline rather than treating it as just one of those things

As far as I'm concerned De Gea had (by his standards) a bad world cup, a pretty meh majority of the season (again by his standards) and an unquestionable catastrophic end where he like all the players needed it to end. Starting from pre-season he should have been given a clean slate

If starting with the Southampton game he looks completely shot of confidence again then we can start talking but I think the talk is pretty premature right now

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think he should be the first name on the team sheet anymore. It's time to give him some competition and give Romero minutes. I don't think Ole has the balls to do that.
Romero isn't good enough to be starting regularly, people seem to forget that as we hardly ever see him play many games in a row, but he's not that great, certainly a big step below De Gea, even in his current form.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We should have sold in the summer to get something in and bought a decent replacment

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I love how the fact he made a mistake at the weekend is being attributed to this so called ongoing decline rather than treating it as just one of those things

As far as I'm concerned De Gea had (by his standards) a bad world cup, a pretty meh majority of the season (again by his standards) and an unquestionable catastrophic end where he like all the players needed it to end. Starting from pre-season he should have been given a clean slate

If starting with the Southampton game he looks completely shot of confidence again then we can start talking but I think the talk is pretty premature right now

The ball came straight at him. De Gea from 2 seasons ago doesn't let that in. It is symptomatic of a decline. He's been dodgy since the PSG game. He'll occasionally pull the top save once in a while but the frequency has dropped. He's not in the top 3 in the PL anymore.

Think we'll go Henderson or Dommarumma.

steve.crowford

No. If he doesnt want to sign, let him go and play Henderson next year.
OMG, are you some fan of the Leicester strategy path to middle of the EPL table?
Henderson
Wan Bissaka Maguire Lindelöf Chilwell
Sean Longstaff McTominay
Gomes
Sancho Greenwood Rashford

charlenefan

The ball came straight at him. De Gea from 2 seasons ago doesn't let that in. It is symptomatic of a decline. He's been dodgy since the PSG game. He'll occasionally pull the top save once in a while but the frequency has dropped. He's not in the top 3 in the PL anymore.

Think we'll go Henderson or Dommarumma.
Utter rubbish on multiple counts

1- you write like De Gea never let a 'soft' one in prior to last season
2- not in the top 3? Name 3 that are better?
3- replace him with Donnarumma? What's that based on? If you think De Gea is prone to letting soft goals go in actually watch some of the goals that lad has let in

steve.crowford

Utter rubbish on multiple counts

1- you write like De Gea never let a 'soft' one in prior to last season
2- not in the top 3? Name 3 that are better?
3- replace him with Donnarumma? What's that based on? If you think De Gea is prone to letting soft goals go in actually watch some of the goals that lad has let in
Top 3 in the world
Jan Oblak, Alisson Becker, David De Gea

Last edited by a moderator:

romufc

OMG, are you some fan of the Leicester strategy path to middle of the EPL table?
Henderson
Wan Bissaka Maguire Lindelöf Chilwell
Sean Longstaff McTominay
Gomes
Sancho Greenwood Rashford
Yes, I am a Leicester fan who has said we need to buy Longstaff and Chilwell.

Please don't put words in my mouth. If DDG is not performing and is asking £350k a week, you get rid of him.

Kentish

Certainly not worth renewing at £350k a week on current performances. Depending how Henderson does this season I’d be willing to give him a go next year, United is in the lads blood tbh.

el3mel

What happened to the reports that mentioned he'll renew once we return from the tour though ? It's pretty weird that this went completely under the carpet and he didn't sign anything.

peridigm

Romero isn't good enough to be starting regularly, people seem to forget that as we hardly ever see him play many games in a row, but he's not that great, certainly a big step below De Gea, even in his current form.
Romero only ever gets a sniff in cups because DDG was an unstoppable force for the better part of 6 years for us. DDG has either become complacent and feels he won't be dropped or he's battling some other issue such as injury or mental. DDG is no longer the best keeper in the league. Perhaps he's lost motivation.

charlenefan

Romero only ever gets a sniff in cups because DDG was an unstoppable force for the better part of 6 years for us. DDG has either become complacent and feels he won't be dropped or he's battling some other issue such as injury or mental. DDG is no longer the best keeper in the league. Perhaps he's lost motivation.
What honestly makes you think you're qualified to make accusations like this?

OoopsMisclick

Honestly, much rather just let him go.
Not worth the 350k p/w.

I'm wondering if we could get oblak? He seemed unhappy at the end of last season...

tombombadil

Wow the audacity of some of these arm chair generals. At this rate, I hope United continue to meander in mid table so that we can get rid of these plastics.

De Gea is the only reason we have any trophies in the last 6 years. He made some mistakes. Shit happens. Continue to support him and help him regain his focus.

Sometimes I wonder if some of these so called fans are paid by City to poison the well.

Status
Not open for further replies.