Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strelok

No, he seems a bit lost and probably needs a new challenge. It's already really bad when a defender loses his concentration but if a keeper does? Disaster.
IMO we should sell him asap if he could not regain his concentration. If we can't, just let him go on a free. He has done more than enough to pay off the £18.9m we paid for him. It'd be a lot better than having another "Sanchez" situation.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think it's pisstake he hasn't given us a definite answer considering his form.

steve.crowford

Anybody understands that comparing DeGea and Henderson is ridiculous, DeGea is definitely in the top 10 goalkeepers on the planet, someone knows how to be in the top 10 in their profession? This is a player of the highest skill and should be in the team as well as Pogba, if we still have ambitions and want great victories.

Bestietom

Not giving an answer to the offer we made him and the form he has been in last season and now, has changed my mind about letting him off. take the offer off the table and let him go to Real or PSG.

UpWithRivers

De Gea doesnt want to be here and he wont sign. He just has to wait a few months and he can go play for a top team and get a sht load of cash. Thats another 80 mill walking out the door.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Howson said yesterday it will could be signed next week

Something about a bonus payment that happens on the 1st of September. I dunno sounded bollocks

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Renew on reasonable terms, with performance clauses or let go. On current forum he's not worth what he's asking for, and there's a risk we could be stuck with another overpaid under performing player who we can't move on.

Ace of Spades

Think if he wanted to stay, he would have signed by now. This may just be another player who goes for free.

His form is also making me worried, and the implications of him signing a big contract with his form remaining the same as it has been for the whole last season.

Siddharth

There should be performance related clauses in his contract. He must perform like a top player, only then he gets the mega pay packet. Basic + performance related bonuses is the way to go.

Mainoldo

He’s stuck here and it’s showing. Sick of his inconsistency now. I would replace him and take the offer off the table.

buckooo1978

Just watched Ole's press conference

he sounded a bit exasperated to me... maybe losing patience with the whole thing

maybe should have sold him if he's planning on leaving - hope he's not stringing us along after the faith we've shown in him

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
DDG is still a top keeper. He may not currently be the best on the planet and he has his weaknesses but he is still absolutely one of the top 5 keepers in the world.

Maybe his time here has reached the end, in the circumstances the guy has done a great job for us in a difficult time, maybe we need to move on with a new keeper.

But if his current form continues and he still seems reluctant to sign a new deal I really would hope Ole gives Romero a good run in the team, I’d like to see what he can do over a period of time.

PieCrust

I have serious doubts if he's going to sign at this point. I think clearly he's waiting to see how competive we are under Ole and if we look to miss out on champion's league yet again, he'll be off for free. Can't blame him really.

I won't be heartbroken if he leaves. He's given a lot to the club and has been professional the entire time.

tony54

It's a quandary we could do without at the moment.
It looks like his head isn't fully concentrating on the game. Some misses are really bad howlers and if one didn't know better might suggest he is throwing the game.
I would certainly not entertain his pay requests and would not play him for a few months until he proves his head is with MU.
He may of course have a physical problem which is slowly impeding him.
I hope we can get the old goalkeeper back to his best but can understand his dis illusion with mu when he could have been winning trophies elsewhere, but he chose the money instead.

SaintMuppet

Withdraw the offer we made him and make him a new one worth approx 50% less. Tell him take it or leave it.

He might sulk but if he does drop him for the rest of the season and go look for a replacement.

Players bending the club over needs to stop...

tony54

Withdraw the offer we made him and make him a new one worth approx 50% less. Tell him take it or leave it.

He might sulk but if he does drop him for the rest of the season and go look for a replacement.

Not a bad approach and limit the contract to one year with options based on performance.

Ban

this situation isnt doing anyone any good. He hasnt decided yet and the whole story is probably affecting him. Romero should be in goal until it's solved. Back in the fax machine days LVG solved that situation perfectly. Until you decide you're on the bench.

Ventura

If he leaves next summer, maybe it's for the best. We shouldn't tie him up on a long contract on crazy money as things stand. Hopefully we have learned that.

AndersB

Yup, that's definitely going to give him something to think long and hard about. And is almost guaranteed to be a success.

Kemizee

I have serious doubts if he's going to sign at this point. I think clearly he's waiting to see how competive we are under Ole and if we look to miss out on champion's league yet again, he'll be off for free. Can't blame him really.

Thanks for saying this. Beyond all the supposed reasons such as 'he is not satisfied with the contract on offer, wants to leave, psychologically shot' and all that, I personally believe our lack of competitive edge for years has finally taken a toll on him. A world class keeper is discouraged and dejected because he has been carrying a team who perpetually wants to be in transition and shows no signs of becoming a top team again. It's fairly simple.

I won't be heartbroken if he leaves. He's given a lot to the club and has been professional the entire time.

Litch

Still one of the best goalkeepers in the world but his worst form is always when there's speculation about his future.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

I can certainly blame him, given that his series of howlers at the end of last lesson is a big part of why we missed out on cl football this season.

SaintMuppet

Yup, that's definitely going to give him something to think long and hard about. And is almost guaranteed to be a success.
I’m not trying to be a success. I’m making a point to him and to everybody else that easy contracts are over. With his current form he should be snapping the clubs hands off to sign.

As an agility based keeper he may well have peaked anyway. His area command is lacking and his distribution is average.

PieCrust

I can certainly blame him, given that his series of howlers at the end of last lesson is a big part of why we missed out on cl football this season.
Ok. I mean if you think De Gea hasn't been a good servant to the club, cool. Most would disagree.

Falcow

this situation isnt doing anyone any good. He hasnt decided yet and the whole story is probably affecting him. Romero should be in goal until it's solved. Back in the fax machine days LVG solved that situation perfectly. Until you decide you're on the bench.
Excellent point. Lvg got a lot of stick for it but he was right and ole should do the same now, however that said, I dont think he is worth 350k per week, to pay him twice as much as city's or pools keeper would be ludicrous. So the only alternative is that he leaves as clearly he is not going to agree to a lesser offer at this point. Is Henderson any good?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Ok. I mean if you think De Gea hasn't been a good servant to the club, cool. Most would disagree.
Rooney was a good servant to the club and we kept him too long, I'm sick of players being kept around because of what they used to be able to do, they have a point to prove every time they pull on the shirt, feck what they HAVE done, and if player want to leave because we aren't in the cl, despite them being part of the reason we aren't in it in the first place then feck em.

PieCrust

Rooney was a good servant to the club and we kept him too long, I'm sick of players being kept around because of what they used to be able to do, they have a point to prove every time they pull on the shirt, feck what they HAVE done, and if player want to leave because we aren't in the cl, despite them being part of the reason we aren't in it in the first place then feck em.
No one would argue that Rooney was kept too long, but that's a really weird argument to bring up since it doesn't apply to De Gea at all. Sanchez wages are the issue with De Gea.

Ultimately, if you don't want to respect what De Gea has accomplished for the club, that's on you. I never implied that he should be signed to massive wages because of it. I'm quite alright if De Gea chooses to leave and I'm ok with the club not being held to ransom over it.

Oldyella

This. Contracts should be based on your service with the club, but also what you can offer moving forwards. Good servant or not, the figures quoted are crazy for a GK at the very pinnacle of the game, something DDG is a long way from now, and arguably wasn't when these negotiations started.

And has he been a good servant anyway? He's been fantastic player for several seasons, but for a busted fax machine would have spent those great years in Madrid.

Eric's Seagull

Still one of the best goalkeepers in the world but his worst form is always when there's speculation about his future.
Agreed. Hopefully he gets his contract signed soon ans doesn't make any silly errors like the one against Palace and goes back to be the old De Gea and playing like we know he can.

fps

I'd be OK with him going, if he chooses to take a new challenge. While he's been a one-man defence at points, I think he could be a stronger communicator with the defence in front, and presence. The best keepers make their defences better too. I'm pretty sure we could find someone else who is excellent. He's been absolutely wonderful, but it is as if his heart isn't in the club any more, and with the results and given his talent, who could blame him.

Ban

Excellent point. Lvg got a lot of stick for it but he was right and ole should do the same now, however that said, I dont think he is worth 350k per week, to pay him twice as much as city's or pools keeper would be ludicrous. So the only alternative is that he leaves as clearly he is not going to agree to a lesser offer at this point. Is Henderson any good?
As I heard he's a huge potential.

Amerifan

I think at this point this discussion is moot. By all accounts we made him a world class offer and he still hasn’t signed. He isn’t going to, at least not for the reasons I’d want a player to stay. I rate him highly and wish he wanted to be part of our future, but that just doesn’t seem to be case. Take the offer off the table and you’ll get his best from his remaining time here as he auditions for his new club.

Reyoji-Utd

I think we should just be happy with whichever situation it pans out.

He's never put himself out to court any interest from any club unlike some of our players albeit the broken fax situation.

Hes been with us and offer us the best possible during the last six bad years we had. Fans should remember when they question players loyalty when they cant wait to ship palyers out the moment they drop off their performance.

Whichever situation it pans out the next, we should be happy.

Malicecooper

He wants away, but is also keeping his options open. I don't think he really minds due to the package offered at UT but if he had the choice i think he would go. With Navas leaving soon maybe he is waiting for an opportunity to replace him and if that does not work out then he has a great option at United. Should he go, for me yes. Love the guys ability but for me he is only giving 75% for Utd now.

ICHM

His form has been poor for a year, we have put two improved offers infront on him and he hasn't signed. £350K (if that is the number) is just too much for what he gives us now. Yes he was outstanding for 5 years, but for what ever reason since the World Cup his form has gone.

I don't think we should offer any better a contract.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Just saw a few stats comparing his recent relevant stats to those from the so called big 6. Either 5th or 6th. All of them.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
De Gea, really from when Moyes took over upto Mourinho first season he was up their with Messi and Ronaldo in regards to individual match winner well in our case point saver.

But he’s had one average season. We are now offering £350k per week based on what he was doing a few seasons ago.

But from his point of view I understand, he joined the right club at the wrong time. Does he want to one day retire with only 1 premier league title, having spent the majority of his career playing for a team that (except first 2 years) was always in a rebuild and behind the pack

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why the latest rumours? Has there been a backlash in negotiations?

We really should have sorted this out before the window closed, one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.