Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevil702

We are not comparing them, i just wanted to show how desperate you are. You know you have no arguments left, the truth is on the pitch. But you can keep your De Gea posters on the wall, i hope they are save for now :)
Woah that was a good one! :lol:

SAFMUTD

No, we keep him because he's still a top 5 GK. Look at the comparison in shots against and goals allowed last season, you can swap any of these GK with De Gea and the way we played last season none would do better.

De Gea - 184 / Goals - 54
Leno - 158 / Goals - 42
Kepa - 125 / Goals - 39
Allison - 100 / Goals - 22
Ederson - 83 / Goals - 23
Oblak - 127 / Goals - 27
Ter Stegen - 123 / Goals - 31
To be honest thats not a great statistic, not all shots are the same. Im sure many shots are really easy to save while others are nearly impossible. A good statistic would be the expected goals to received against the received goals.

reddevil702

To be honest thats not a great statistic, not all shots are the same. Im sure many shots are really easy to save while others are nearly impossible. A good statistic would be the expected goals to received against the received goals.
Agreed. I did a quick search and was unable to find it, but I did come across an interesting article which tried to make some sense of the difficulty of shots faced vs goals conceded.

https://www.stats.com/industry-anal...uropean-big-five-goalkeeper-rankings-april-5/

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Amerifan

No, we keep him because he's still a top 5 GK. Look at the comparison in shots against and goals allowed last season, you can swap any of these GK with De Gea and the way we played last season none would do better.

De Gea - 184 / Goals - 54
Leno - 158 / Goals - 42
Kepa - 125 / Goals - 39
Allison - 100 / Goals - 22
Ederson - 83 / Goals - 23
Oblak - 127 / Goals - 27
Ter Stegen - 123 / Goals - 31
184 shots against? Hard to compare form when one is getting pummeled.

TheReligion

Abusive
This thread is mental.

Of course we extend it. He's a valuable asset to the club and you don't let your assets go for free if you can avoid it. Henderson is a long term project and has a year in the premier league so we can monitor him. He's going nowhere after signing a new deal so there's no issues with him. Right now though we extend DDG who may be having a rough patch but is far from finished. Only last season he delivered one of the best goalkeeping displays ever versus Spurs. Now you morons think he's done and should go on a free. He's undoubtedly one of the best keepers the club has seen along with Schmeichel and VDS.

Engage your brains.

mad1max954

Not at the figure being quoted I dont think we should. His form has been suspect for over 6 months now. He doesnt command his area anywhere near as much as he should (which would help the defense generally) and now he has started making errors that he otherwise wouldn't have done. Id sell and promote Henderson. Wouldnt be disappointing in giving Romero a go either.

At fault for Southamptons goal and CP's winner too.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
didn't realise Ter Stegen had let in so few - I mean I know he plays for a side that wins most of its games but that's still pretty amazing

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't believe the time has come to say this but he really has been poor for about 18 months now. Lots of costly mistakes which seem to be down to a lack of concentration so I certainly wouldn't miss him as much as I would, say three years ago. He isn't even close to being the best in the world any more...

Born2Lose

The sad truth is no one can guarantee that if we give him a five year contract at £350k+ that he'll ever consistently return to being the player he was. After being burnt with Sanchez, I'd have to err on the side of caution moving forward.

TRUERED89

Not at the figure being quoted I dont think we should. His form has been suspect for over 6 months now. He doesnt command his area anywhere near as much as he should (which would help the defense generally) and now he has started making errors that he otherwise wouldn't have done. Id sell and promote Henderson. Wouldnt be disappointing in giving Romero a go either.

At fault for Southamptons goal and CP's winner too.
Bit harsh to say Southampton was his fault, Lindelöf really fecked it there, maybe De Gea could of anticipated and come out quicker but if he got it wrong and the ball went in to an open net he would have looked twice as foolish. Palace however, he cant be excused. Every member on the Caf would've saved that blindfolded with one arm tied behind their back!!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Think this is heading for a natural conclusion and he'll move in the summer.

He will come good again but I think he needs fire in his belly again to do so and it won't be here unfortunately.

Amerifan

Agreed. I did a quick search and was unable to find it, but I did come across an interesting article which tried to make some sense of the difficulty of shots faced vs goals conceded.

https://www.stats.com/industry-anal...uropean-big-five-goalkeeper-rankings-april-5/
This argues he’s tied best in the PL and tied 6th in the world. Easy signing decision.

Plus, how do you adjust for the quality of the individual taking the shot? The PL as a league has more talent than those other leagues. I wouldn’t be surprised if 0.33 in the PL is more equivalent to 0.66 than the numbers indicate.

Offsideagain

For me he isn’t showing any enthusiasm for the club. He has taken months and months not signing and threats emerging in the media, probably from his agent, about going to Real. He doesn’t seem to have his mind on the job or being professional as the pundits call it. I don’t care if any player is the best in the world if they don’t really want to play for the club then sell them instead of fannying around for months destabilising the team. How many times has he ‘been close’ to signing?. Time to cash in and buy a midfield.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Im worried that this 'british and hungry' shite will end up in us having Pickford as his replacement for 60m

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is still in top 5 gk in the world. Losing him would be a huge blow. He deserves every euro of his potential salary.
We have many positions to cover next summer. Why add another one?

Fosu-Mens

Should not a decision wether renewing the contract or not been done before the summer window?
As things stands now DDG can either decide to sign a new contract with us that will make him earn Sanchez wages, or he will sign for a better team with a decent sign on fee and wage.

Another example of how misgoverned the club is.

spaceboyRSA

The problem is that getting someone of a similar ability or better will cost a fortune. Far too many other holes to plug such as sorting out the midfield and attack. We really cant afford to replace him as well.

Ihad Apootoo

Supports
City
De Gea is holding the club to ransom. The club and fans deserve better.

Status
Not open for further replies.