Should we sell David De Gea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think it would be hard to find someone to pay his wages but yes, we should absolutely move him on if it’s an option.

Henderson won’t play 2nd fiddle so it’s either another loan or we sell one of them, and I’d rather Dave left.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I agree. Thats why although De Gea going would be a big miss, the likes of Henderson could cover that hole, a proven very good premier goalkeeper. It wouldnt be like the inbetween years of Schmeichel and VDS.
Yes but I think for keeper experience still counts alot, especially in those bigger games. I wouldn't play Henderson ahead of De Gea yet, maybe if he proves his worth with consistency over next 1-2 years more, we might really think about it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To be a top class keeper of the sort who is worth the kind of money he's on, as he turns 30 and beyond, he absolutely needs to become more than a shot stopper - this is obvious. Not least because remaining the world's best shot stopper becomes less and less likely the older you get (obviously).

Can he transform as a player, improve on his weak areas? Doesn't seem like something you'd want to gamble on for me.

But the problem is obvious. He's on insane money. We have very likely made our bed with the latest contract extension. It would take truly ruthless decision making to replace him as our first choice keeper.

seegoblu

No way, he’s good enough now. Been the best goalkeeper in the league this season and would be an upgrade on De Gea imo. DDG has been phenomenal for us but he’s regressed. He’s a good goalkeeper on a massive salary, but he does have some big deficiencies to his game.
You're spot on in assessing their current forms, but as its been said a few times here, given his wages I think it will be hard to move DDG. The market will be PSG and maybe Juve (but Juve looks like they are more committed to getting a few outfield players than keeper), so it's hard to image that the offered transfer price will meet our valuation and if we have learned anything about Ed over the past few windows, he will dither and lose an opportunity if his player (in bound or out) valuation isn't met.

I just think the most likely scenario is that DDG can't be moved at a price we want, Ole won't want an unhappy clubhouse with two keepers that only want to be first choice and the sale of Dean will be the only solution. In that case, selling Dean with a buyback seems to be the best course of action to protect the future of the position.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If we can get £100 million + for the both, and with the other usual £150 million that would be one hell of a warchest to bring in the likes of Sancho, Grealish/Maddison and a decent striker.
You mean - like we used the £50M from Lukaku to bring Bruno in, last summer? Ah, right - we didn't.

Your plan sounds good, but the problem is - Woodward doesn't work that way. He will sell and won't reinvest. Can't trust that bastard.

Last edited:

wolvored

You mean - like we used the £50M from Lukaku to bring Bruno in, last summer? Ah, right - we didn't.

Your plan sounds good, but the problem is - Woodward doesn't work that way. He will sell and won't reinvest. Can't trust that bastard.
You would hope he would learn. Hopefully the penny will drop and it doesnt take 3 months to get 2-3 players in.

ravi2

Can we afford to replace him and also buy the players we need this summer, I doubt it.
Grealish, Partey and Sancho will not be cheap, Pogba's sale will barely cover what Grealish would cost us.

Eric's Seagull

Can we afford to replace him and also buy the players we need this summer, I doubt it.
Grealish, Partey and Sancho will not be cheap, Pogba's sale will barely cover what Grealish would cost us.
We could replace him with Henderson and the money from his sale for the kitty. I think we will get about 90m for Pogba and Grealish will be about 60m.

LoneStar

I'd keep him for at least one more year, and send Henderson on loan. If he could continues to perform well and improve, then it's a clesr choice.

Djemba-Djemba

erm yes?

That's the whole point, we've got Henderson coming back off his loan. He'd be the replacement for De Gea if he was sold and he'd cost nothing.

De Gea has been a legend at the club but he was awful last season and he's been average this. I think his best days are behind him. I'd be considering selling him if a good offer came in.

TheGodsInRed

We gave him a far to giant contract for a keeper. £110mill contract Is insane. We could do with offloading those wages but we won’t be able to sell him. Also other players will want what he is on, so it makes it hard to negotiate on other player renewals.

Its ridiculous the amount we have paid players.

Status
Not open for further replies.