Should we sell David De Gea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

talking robot

With the rise of Dean Henderson, I wonder if it may not be a good time to cash in on David De Gea? De Gea is at a good age, and we could probably sell him for a good 60-70 million pounds. His form over the last year or two hasn't been out of this world either. In addition to avoiding a transfer fee for securing a De Gea replacement, Henderson would also cost significantly less in wages. If he is as good as they are saying, that money could potentially be re-invested elsewhere in the squad to greater effect. I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this as I've only seen youtube clips and press reports of Henderson, but don't have a really informed view about whether he'd be ready to step in next year and be United's #1.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No-one out there really needs a goalkeeper, much less one that’s going to cost 400k a week.

Irwin99

Can only think of PSG that might be interested. Wages would be a problem.

I would have been devastated a few seasons ago if DDG had left but not so much now. Given our lower net spend over the past few seasons the sales of Pogba and DDG might become a reality but finding a buyer for DDG might be difficult.

Zlatans Knee

If we could possibly get a decent price for him, then yes. We have enough cover with Romero, Henderson, Kovar. The problem will be in getting the decent price....

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
More important that we keep Henderson on a lengthy retainer and allow him to continue getting experience so he’s ready to take over from De Gea when the time is right.

Infra-red

That ship has sailed. There's no chance of cashing in on him now - we wouldn't have any takers.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
No. What we should do is bring him back and increase the pressure on De Gea to perform. Make a decision the season after and maybe send Henderson on loan in January when he inevitably doesn't play.

It's similar to when Chelsea had Cech and Courtois in their roster. Only worse because we also have Romero.

Alternatively, play three keepers.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
100% yes but no top team would take him. PSG perhaps but other than that, can’t think of another team

talking robot

Yeah maybe you're all right and we're basically stuck if we try to De Gea on at 60 millionish. On the other hand, I wonder if it might not be worth letting him go even for something like 30 million-ish pounds. At that price someone might accept to pay the wages, and in this scenario we still might benefit in the long run.

Sanchez7

He would be an upgrade for Juve but I doubt they will be willing to pay high fees.

romufc

No. What we should do is bring him back and increase the pressure on De Gea to perform. Make a decision the season after and maybe send Henderson on loan in January when he inevitably doesn't play.
Henderson has already said, he will not stay if he is not first choice, so that argument is out the window.

It's either sell DDG or send Henderson on another loan.

We cannot sell DDG because there will be no takers on his wage.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De gea is one of the best gk in the world( feel free to name 5 gk who are clearly better than him ) and you all want to sell him because he is not in De God mode anymore and because we have solid backup in Henderson? Bloody hell. We need new midfielder, new winger and new left back but you want to downgrade position where we have true class for next 5 years?

Lets sell Rashford also. We can get crazy fee for him now and invest it in 3 or 4 decent player.

Baneofthegame

Who would pay for De Gea? Could only see Juve/PSG wanting him.

So Henderson will probably go out on loan again for another year, which can only be good for his development.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
We should make sure Dean Henderson is capable of playing for Man Utd before we do something we might regret.

It's good that he's bossing it for Sheffield who have a different style of play and get attacked differently. But is up capable of the pressure that we will put him in? The only way we find out is if he plays for us.

spiriticon

For the right price and if Dave fancies the move, yes.

£40-50 million for me.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
We should make sure Dean Henderson is capable of playing for Man Utd before we do something we might regret.

It's good that he's bossing it for Sheffield who have a different style of play and get attacked differently. But is up capable of the pressure that we will put him in? The only way we find out is if he plays for us.
True. Also known as Ben Foster syndrome.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
People somehow take De Gea for granted and think that it's easy to replace him, even though he hasn't been performing like himself for 2 seasons. It's not. At least I don't expect to hear more about selling De Gea and replacing him with Romero after yesterday.

Henderson is a very good prospect, but he is not as good as De Gea was at his age and it's quite a risky bet to make him our starter now, let's not act like he's a goalkeeping equivalent of Mbappé or Sancho. There's a good chance that he'll be up to it, but we simply don't have enough evidence at the moment to make this bet. It's also a horrible time to sell De Gea as his potential transfer value is at the all-time low.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he should go for three reasons.

1. His performances have dropped for a prolonged period of time now and he is not the keeper he was.

2. We have a 50 million keeper playing very well for a team that are above us in the table.

3. The likes of de Gea, Pogba and Sanchez are on wages that don’t even come close to their contribution. That culture needs to end and it sends a good message. We won’t pay you to stick with us. We want you to be motivated and really want to be playing for such a big club.

That doesn’t even mention how well Henderson fits in with the new club culture and English spine. It’s too perfect a fit to pass up.

Last edited:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Whilst I don’t think De Gea is as good as he once was, I don’t think it’s a case of swapping him for Henderson at the end of the season or else we lose the latter.
To me we should just do what Chelsea have done with some of their players (Curtouis, Christensen) and just keep loading him until we decide it’s time for De Gea to move on.
Sheff Utd will be happy that way too, it saves them having to pay for him, they can just loan him for a couple more years.
That way he gets to develop out of the spotlight and when we feel he’s ready he can come back.

spiriticon

People somehow take De Gea for granted and think that it's easy to replace him, even though he hasn't been performing like himself for 2 seasons. It's not. At least I don't expect to hear more about selling De Gea and replacing him with Romero after yesterday.

Henderson is a very good prospect, but he is not as good as De Gea was at his age and it's quite a risky bet to make him our starter now, let's not act like he's a goalkeeping equivalent of Mbappé or Sancho. There's a good chance that he'll be up to it, but we simply don't have enough evidence at the moment to make this bet. It's also a horrible time to sell De Gea as his potential transfer value is at the all-time low.
I think it depends if De Gea wants a new challenge or not if Juve or Real come calling. He's reaching that age where he's got one more big move left in him and it's only fair to let him decide.

If he wants to stay, of course we shouldn't be forcing a sale.

binary bot
It would be the type of short term sacrifice for long term gain thinking that we've lacked in the past 10 years or so.

A more controlling keeper would take our defence up a level IMO.

I havent watched much of Henderson? Does he control his box?

Francis Abernathy

He should have been allowed to leave for a free & not offered the new contract he recently signed, so if there was a buyer I'd vote to sell for any reasonable fee. I don't believe there would be a buyer, there didn't seem to be anyone keen during the duration of his last 5 year contract that he ran down, even when he could have been got relatively cheaply with only 12 months left.

Viewed in isolation, just as a shot stopper, obviously he's generally been very good & excellent at times. That's ignoring the end of last season when he cost the team plenty of points with his mistakes & his decent but not great performances this season.

Viewed as part of the defence overall he's just about average: when in form his shot stopping is excellent, but his kicking is average or below, he's very passive/doesn't command his area/defence at all (I can rarely remember him punching/catching a corner & very rarely any cross when he's challenged) & he's below par at penalties.

It would be interesting to see what some of the experienced defenders who've left the club would say about playing in front of him: Vidic, Evans or Rio. I have a feeling his passivity is responsible for a lot of the panic in the defence & the goals conceded from set pieces.

Reactions: Grinner

poleglass red

I don't think anyone ever said Romero was the long term answer, he'd certainly be a decent stop gap until one was found. He'd one dodgy game away in europe in terrible conditions after what was it 6 clean sheets prior to this. For what Romero does, ie sit on the bench week in and week out and play the odd game here and there, he typically looks right at home when he does play. To write him off after 1 poorish game where the whole team was shite is a bit much. I think you need to apply the bolded part as much to De Gea as you do to Romero.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We probably need to sell him or Henderson. Deano has done his stint out on loan and he's too good to sit on the bench

laughtersassassin

If we could sell him for like 60 mil + this summer I would. Henderson can and will replace him and bolstering our summer budget with Pogba money and his could be a very smart way to build a good team by day one of next season.

Get 180-200 mil for De Gea and Pogba. Add that to a 100 mil budget.

Buy Snacho
Grealish
Partey
And a backup striker.

Suddenly we have a much better team imo

harms

Staff
I don't think anyone ever said Romero was the long term answer, he'd certainly be a decent stop gap until one was found. He'd one dodgy game away in europe in terrible conditions after what was it 6 clean sheets prior to this. For what Romero does, ie sit on the bench week in and week out and play the odd game here and there, he typically looks right at home when he does play. To write him off after 1 poorish game where the whole team was shite is a bit much. I think you need to apply the bolded part as much to De Gea as you do to Romero.
I'm not saying that Romero is shit and I never did. His whole career before United showed an error-prone goalkeeper who struggles to be consistent week in and week out. He has found a role that was surprisingly fitting for him and became a brilliant number 2 whose set of skills and a relative lack of ambition had made him a great fit for us. You have to consider that his very impressive clean sheet record mostly came against a hugely inferior opposition.

There were many posters who wanted to bench De Gea for Romero over the last 2 seasons. But that would be a terrible decision and even considering this is showing the underrating of what De Gea did and does for us despite his poor form.

Kostur

海尔的老板

This scouse loving cnut is absolutely spot on.

harms

Staff
And if we decide to sell him on a cheap, I can still see Juve (for example) going for him and turning him in one of the best keepers in the world again by providing him with a competent cover and effective ball-distribution system that doesn't really involve him. I don't think that it's a physical decline yet, more of a mental fatigue and a requirement to act as a leader and an defensive organiser, since neither of those roles are natural for him.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'd rather bring Henderson back and see if he can handle the pressure of the big stage before selling De Gea. Would be pretty foolish to sell DDG and just assume that it'll work out.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
It could be time for DDG to go imo. He's been better recently but for the last couple of seasons he's been very inconsistent. Lots of mistakes and costing us points. Not for a minute saying he's a bad keeper - still one of the best on his day, but his day seems less and less frequent. We sell him now while his stock is still high, Henderson is a ready-made replacement and invest the money in other areas of the team. As someone said, with DDG money as well as Pogba money all of a sudden we have the funds to really strengthen.

Ander herrera the warrior

I would just keep De Gea and leave Dean Henderson on loan to Sheffield utd for another one or 2 years.

Reason, he is still young only 22 and this is his first season in the premier league, I would like to see how he does at least for another year.

Next, he could be a good weapon for us, since he is playing against our opponents in the league but not against us (Hopefully it doesn't back fire against us this season). If we are seriously challenging for the title next year, hopefully he can win some points for us against the top four teams.

Also, we probably wouldn't need the money since we are going to sell Pogba, and alot of other fringe players like Smalling, Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Rojo.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
100% we should in my opinion, although I've been saying this for years.
He is so below par at vitally important aspects of goalkeeping that, in my opinion, it doesn't matter how good a shot stopper he is (even that is debatable now anyway) that it simply doesn't compensate overall.

Only problem is, last summer was the time to have this debate, as many of us tried to (but got told we were either deluded or had a personal vendetta against the lad), it's too late now, there is simply no way any other team would be incompetent enough to pay him the sort of wages we are.
As someone else previously said, this ship has sailed, we're stuck with him now for the next 5 years no matter how bad he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.