Should we start looking at loans?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, we had decent success with Ighalo. All other good teams make use of it and we should too.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Dembele is the only one I can think of that might be a good option if we can't get Sancho. Maybe with an obligation to buy if he plays 30 games or so. That way Barca knows they will get a good fee as long as he stays fit, and we know we'll only have to pay a fee if he works out and stays fit. If he doesn't, well hopefully he'll at least play enough that Greenwood gets enough rest and we can then go back for Sancho next season.

If Perisic were a right winger he could be a good option, but we don't really need more another one who prefers the left.

Last edited:

Ace Krampus

Of course we should. We're not in a full rebuild. We're a good team. You get the best squad together that you can. If there's a loan option that improves the team, we'd be insane to not at the very least consider it.

SAFMUTD

I see very few players that are on loan that can make a true impact, Coutinho, James, Demebele, Perisic are among those but obviously for those to be a good option should be a loan with option but no obligation to buy.

buckooo1978

I think there are plenty of loan options available that would improve upon our squad players

Teams who have stockpiled players or players who are out of favour could all be useful to us. There are also teams with financial issues who might want to trim the wage bill too.

We desperately need squad options as next season is going to be horrendous in terms of our schedule. We can expect injuries to key players if we aren't able to manage their fitness.

with us only willing to pay for and able to manage a couple of transfers a window I think loans could be interesting

I could see players like Christian Ericksen being potentially available as he seems to be out of favour at Inter.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
At times we do need to be more savvy in the market and loan deals are a great method of doing that, especially if you insert a buy option in. I think Dembele would be the perfect example of a player who has struggled but we could pick up risk free for a season potentially on loan and if he does well, look to sign permanently. I wonder if this is something more teams will look to do with the cost of transfers increasing so much, it’s become very important to sort of get a try before you buy deal if at all possible.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The only thing I don’t fully understand is loan with an obligation to buy, what’s the point in that? Surely just for accounting reasons.

Red00012

When was the last time you not criticising someone for being drunk or non-MU fan, just because someone not in agreement with you?
You said Dembele and Bale aren’t RW so I think I’m well justified . I’m not really sure what else to say to that statement ?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How about taking Suarez on loan as back up striker?

Or is that abit too dirty?

cyril C

You said Dembele and Bale aren’t RW so I think I’m well justified . I’m not really sure what else to say to that statement ?
OK let's have some civilised conversation.

Dembele - I said I was not sure. So open to discussion. When I mention Dembele, I was thinking of O Dembele of Barca, who are surplus and hardly used, hence ready for loan. But if anyone mistaken as M Dembele, it is also fine, open to discussion.

When I mention Bale. Yes Bale played on the right hand side but did he shine? Better than Anderson in our CL winning squad but certainly all glory went to CR and Benzema (and Modric). What was Bale's preferred position? When Sanchez came on board, I thought we MIGHT try him on the right, because he DID play on the right for Barca, because of Messi. Been there done that kind of CV, is not good enough.

When we DO go for a loan player, obviously that person will not be playing week in week out. Putting aside the injury prone condition, we must ensure that player is hungry for football (hungry for Birdie is not). I put Falcao and Ighalo as hungry for football, Falcao just didn't have the form for the job.

But above all, that player must be comfortable playing on the right hand side, able to deliver lots of cross/pass from the right hand side. Bale on the RHS doesn't fit into any of these requirement, although he can probably score from the right. For the team, as of this moment, IMO it is more important to have more assist from the right, than scoring.

Mark Pawelek

Obviously but we need to speed up the signing process too. It too a whole month scouring the world to find Odion Ighalo.

Last season Bayern Munich had Ivan Perisic (Inter), Philippe Coutinho (Barca), and Álvaro Odriozola (Rookie RB from Real) on loan. Season before they had James Rodríguez. If loans are good enough for serial Bundesliga champions and Champions League finalists, they're good enough to PL 3rd placers. We need 6 players this summer. LB, CB, DCM, RW, CF, AM. If we can't buy them, have a genuine prospect ready, then we need to either bring in a loanee or sign a Bosman. I don't think we can have a sensible discussion over which players United can bring in on loan. No one could predict Odion Ighalo before he signed.

It's essential we fill all outstanding positions each with 2 fit players before this transfer window closes. We should moan about missing luxuries (Sancho) after all outstanding positions are filled twice over.

Mark Pawelek

This has nothing to do with Sancho but look at the success clubs have had this season with loans

Inter & Sanchez
Roma & Smalling
Arsenal & Ceballos
PSG & Icardi
Bayern & Perisic & Coutinho

Are we missing a trick here? Like I said ignore Sancho but if Barca for example were up for loaning Dembele or Coutinho again next season it's no brainer isn't it? Padding your squad with genuine quality without the pressure of having to play them due to their big transfer fee
It's not padding your squad. It's bringing in essentials. As football gets more competitive the requirement to field 2 top sides increases. I can't remember a time when United had 2 fit players at the start of the season for every position. United need a new mentality. When transfer funds are too low we must either sign a Bosman or bring in a loanee. There should be no discussion over this. Just do it.