Should we take the FA Cup seriously?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Listen, I absolutely love the FA Cup. I think it is an amazing competition and I enjoy it every year.

But tbh, I’ve only just found out we are in it this year. On one hand lifting that trophy would be amazing, but it is also obvious that any trophies won from after we come back will not really mean as much. We wouldn’t be proper FA Cup winners for the season as the trophy will always have a massive asterisk next to it.

How does everyone else feel? I’d give my left testicle to win the trophy normally... this year just would feel off.

Jinn

Winning 2 trophies (albeit not the ones we want) will go some way in the team gaining confidence in their ability and confirms that the team is evolving in the right direction.
Also, after the dippers title win, it will help me sleep better knowing we won something.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Winning 2 trophies (albeit not the ones we want) will go some way in the team gaining confidence in their ability and confirms that the team is evolving in the right direction.
Also, after the dippers title win, it will help me sleep better knowing we won something.
Normally I would agree with you. Those trophies would be massive.

But... don’t you agree that any trophies won this year wouldn’t feel the same? It would say
Man United Fa Cup Winners 2020*

*Unfortunately there were numerous rule changes and a massive break in between the competition so it will never be seen as a true trophy win.

edit - for example, I’ve just remembered that Liverpool won the title last night. In normal circumstances I would be gutted as obviously this is bad for a United fan but all I feel is “...meh”. I don’t think that league title will be remembered so much as the somewhat dodgy circumstances of the win.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

But... don’t you agree that any trophies won this year wouldn’t feel the same? It would say

*Unfortunately there were numerous rule changes and a massive break in between the competition so it will never be seen as a true trophy win.
Yes but Trophy with * is better than no trophy.

We should take this seriously, we are already in QFs, so at best we will have to play 2 more games. To add to this, this time there are so many good teams left in the competition.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is true. I just know that I’d try and celebrate but.. it would be somewhat hollow. Apart from the league cup, any trophy won this year wouldn’t properly mean anywhere near as much as usual.
I agree but there is nothing much we can do about it. As a big club we should try to win every game.

Havak

Pokemon master
It won't add too many fixtures to our season and we have the squad at the moment.

Arsenal are the side to win the most FA Cups in history. Arsenal...

We need to change that.

Imagine if we can sneak into the top four, win the FA Cup and the Europa League? It's a mini season where we have a great looking squad and a reasonable enough chance at doing this. It would be our best season since Fergie was in charge if we do. So, go for it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Listen, I absolutely love the FA Cup. I think it is an amazing competition and I enjoy it every year.

But tbh, I’ve only just found out we are in it this year. On one hand lifting that trophy would be amazing, but it is also obvious that any trophies won from after we come back will not really mean as much. We wouldn’t be proper FA Cup winners for the season as the trophy will always have a massive asterisk next to it.

How does everyone else feel? I’d give my left testicle to win the trophy normally... this year just would feel off.
I see what you've done here. I see you.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

edit - for example, I’ve just remembered that Liverpool won the title last night. In normal circumstances I would be gutted as obviously this is bad for a United fan but all I feel is “...meh”. I don’t think that league title will be remembered so much as the somewhat dodgy circumstances of the win.
Won’t be remembered much? I completely disagree - how could anyone forget the famous covid 19 lockdown title triumph... it’ll just add to the mythical status of this win for Liverpool in the years to come.

It feels slightly hollow at the moment because we are living through it still and no crowds etc but with the passing of time that aspect will be overlooked.

I’m desperate for us to win something and cement the notion we are seeing tangible signs of progress.

Pav1878

The answer is obvious. Of course we take it seriously.

The only way to make a season where Liverpool win the league that little bit less painful is by winning trophies. Let's go get the FA Cup, Europa and qualify for the champions league and take that momentum into next season.

RkkMan

After the embarrassment City have endured I`m fully expecting them to go all guns blazing for the FA Cup what we may want in this competiton is irrelevant. We need to put our full focus on the Europa League but I question whether Ole much as I like him can mentally galvanize the team to win it. If we had Mourinho I`d be confident we`ll go all the way.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No idea what you are talking about.

But out of interest, what do you think about the legitimacy of any trophies won post lockdown?
Chalk them up alongside the likes of the Emirates Cup. The trophy I won at U12s was more legitimate, given it was played under actual footballing rules recognised around the world. Rather than some exhibition rules where the game is in 4 quarters and you can make 5 subs all at the same time.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The answer is obvious. Of course we take it seriously.

The only way to make a season where Liverpool win the league that little bit less painful is by winning trophies. Let's go get the FA Cup, Europa and qualify for the champions league and take that momentum into next season.
Fair enough. Seems a lot of people think that Liverpool winning the league is painful. I don’t see it that way... tbf it had completely slipped my mind.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Chalk them up alongside the likes of the Emirates Cup. The trophy I won at U12s was more legitimate, given it was played under actual footballing rules recognised around the world. Rather than some exhibition rules where the game is in 4 quarters and you can make 5 subs all at the same time.
That’s a good point actually. We insult Arsenal for celebrating the Emirates Cup... but surely that has the same value as any trophy won post lockdown?

Squeaky Bumtime

I see what you did there.

But Sky is all over the place already with claiming Liverpool has more major honours. Not counting Community shields. You can bet that they would count them if it was the other way around. I understand when Liverpool Echo does it and the like but BBC, Sky...

What I'm trying to say every trophy counts and especially FA cup cause it raises the morale of the team going into the next season, adds another to our haul and if media wants it that way gets us closer to Them. Not to mention we're in Europa league too.

Also it's kind of sad how FA cup lost its prestige and grandeur through the years..

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

Affirmation

If we want to regain the top spot on most major honors won in England then the prospect of winning both the FA Cup and Europa League needs to be taken seriously for sure.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think for us oldies it's a much bigger thing to win the FA Cup. Cup final day was something to really look forward to and TV had coverage for most of the day, it seemed.

I was born on an FA Cup final day. :)

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think for us oldies it's a much bigger thing to win the FA Cup. Cup final day was something to really look forward to and TV had coverage for most of the day, it seemed.

I was born on an FA Cup final day. :)
Penna, I love the FACup.
But I have always loved United fans for lack of bias and objectivity.
Can you disagree with the statement:

“any trophy won after lockdown lifted is nowhere near as valid as a normal trophy win.”
I think that is fair.

freeurmind

weak willed
It's a trophy, we should go for it. But focus should be on Europa, it's our best chance for CL football if City's ban doesn't hold up.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It would just be good for team morale to pick up the FA Cup and the EL, get his group of players used to winning as soons as possible, it can only be good for the squad. As for celebrating it, it would further dent Liverpool's title if fans were to react to the win with a "meh, fake rules covid season, means little to us"

Pleasr the team and piss off the dippers ... win win for you lot surely.

Raw

Yes we should take it seriously, but if we do win it we have to admit that it wouldn't be the same as a normal trophy considering the tragic circumstances.

If only there was a way to depict that in the history books. Perhaps a symbol of some sort.

Mr Smith

I see what you did there :angel:

Seems a lot of the muppets on here missed the point though...

United Hobbit

Yes I think we should

- as far as I'm aware Europa is being sorted after the league finishes so it's not like we are having to juggle the league, FA Cup and Europa. If we were I'd possibly say the FA Cup was least important and go mid strength eg only have someone like Bruno on the bench but play some of the other first team however this is no longer a factor

-While not considered as major trophy as it used to be it could still send a message to potential new signings that we are gaining momentum and is far better than no trophy. Yes Europa would be better due to giving us a route into the CL we will probably need but we cant guarantee we will win that so need to go for every trophy we can

- I don't think it creates a good mentality to say a trophy is less important than another and it should just not be tried for. A trophy is a trophy and can be used to gain momentum

- they are back to going on and on about Liverpool being the most successful English club. We need to change that. Quickly.

Quickly.

-I still have my doubts about Ole long term but you can see he has put some good foundations in place and while I do have my doubts over him staying long term it would be nice to see him leave with a trophy that he probably still sees as important and worthwhile

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
100% yes.

This is the best chance to win it for years.

Bwuk

We should. We need to get experience of winning trophies and build a winning mentality.

KeanoMagicHat

There are only 7 league games left, possibly 3 FA Cup games. The Premier League will be over by the time of the final. The Europa League matches won't be on until domestic football is finished.

Why wouldn't you take it seriously? The players aren't going to be tired. Fail to see the logic here, 3 games from a trophy, one against Norwich.

Why would it have an asterisk? No games were compromised, you would have won it fair and square.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
There are only 7 league games left, possibly 3 FA Cup games. The Premier League will be over by the time of the final. The Europa League matches won't be on until domestic football is finished.

Why wouldn't you take it seriously? The players aren't going to be tired. Fail to see the logic here, 3 games from a trophy, one against Norwich.

Why would it have an asterisk? No games were compromised, you would have won it fair and square.
As far as I’m concerned any trophy post lockdown has a massive asterisk and doesn’t properly count.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes. Go all out in both the FA Cup and the Europa. Two trophies whilst continuing our good form this season will be great.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So potential 2nd string

Romero, Dalot, Maguire, Bailly, Williams, Fred, Mctominay, Lingard, Mata, James, Ighalo

Do we think we could risk changing so many? this team is probably still strong enough to beat Norwich but I think i'd still prefer to see Fernandes in the team.

simmee

Yes we should take it seriously, but if we do win it we have to admit that it wouldn't be the same as a normal trophy considering the tragic circumstances.

If only there was a way to depict that in the history books. Perhaps a symbol of some sort.
Probably just easier to delete it from the history books. Feels a bit sad with our potential FA Cup trophy but it has to be done.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Nah.

Normally I'd be like you (though I'm not sure I'd give up a testicle.... a toe maybe. The girl in Shameless lost a couple and she seems fine).

Years from now, people will say "remember the 2020 F A Cup Final?" and the reply will be "2020? That was the Coronavirus year wasn't it? I remember something about lots of rules were changed just to save cash and let a sport stumble over the finishing line... teams weren't arsed about it and just went through the motions while they waited for the next season - it wasn't the same. Meh".

dove

Why wouldn't we take it seriously? Asterix or not, nobody cares. Since we are miles off winning the PL, our only way to catch up to Liverpool in terms of trophies won is by winning the cup competitions.

SirAnderson

With the 5 sub rule, we have an advantage over some of the teams left as well.
Regardless, a trophy can do a lot to boost these lots confidence and we should definitely try our best to win it.
As well as the Europa league. Fortunately that will be only in August so we can focus on it alone.