"Shredding his legacy at every turn"

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
That's your personal opinions. But I'd say that 04-05 was by far the most dull, hope stripping, dread inducing season we had other than Moyes debarcle.
As you say, opinions. Currently this season for me is more boring in terms of how we play than any other I can remember. We were awful under Moyes but not this dull. 1/3rd of the way through the season and we have quite probably already passed the ball sideways and backwards more often than in all of the games combined that Moyes was in charge. We create less chances on goal right now than under Moyes which is a really sad indicator of how awful we are to watch.

Just to be clear, I am not asking for LVG to be sacked, I think he has done a superb job in steadying the ship and our league position is great work by him. I quite like the guy, he has a sharp sense of humour. I just think we our style of football is awful.

Dion

As you say, opinions. Currently this season for me is more boring in terms of how we play than any other I can remember. We were awful under Moyes but not this dull. 1/3rd of the way through the season and we have quite probably already passed the ball sideways and backwards more often than in all of the games combined that Moyes was in charge. We create less chances on goal right now than under Moyes which is a really sad indicator of how awful we are to watch.

Just to be clear, I am not asking for LVG to be sacked, I think he has done a superb job in steadying the ship and our league position is great work by him. I just think we our style of football is awful.
Throwing pointless crosses into the box isn't entertaining for me. We scored 22 in our first 15 games under Moyes and that was with Rooney and RvP in something close to resembling form, which didn't last. We weren't more of a goal threat then than we are now, except we actually pick up points this time round.

Question234

Moyes was far worse because it was soul crushing and many thought he may lead us into heavy decline.

With LVG it's just pure frustration that we aren't there yet, I can deal with that tbh but only for the rest of this season. I have no real fear of permanently losing or shitty results under him.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Throwing pointless crosses into the box isn't entertaining for me. We scored 22 in our first 15 games under Moyes and that was with Rooney and RvP in something close to resembling form, which didn't last. We weren't more of a goal threat then than we are now, except we actually pick up points this time round.
I would rather watch pointless crosses at an opposition goal than mind numbingly dull passing across our defence in our own half. Hey if you prefer watching us play football with ourselves in our own half good for you. I prefer seeing the ball in the opposition box more than near our own. Fun fact, We didnt complete a single pass in the Leicester City box in the game just gone. You keep enjoying that....

http://www.squawka.com/news/man-utd-fail-to-play-pass-in-leicester-penalty-box-in-draw/532780

Last edited:

Seveneric

Fergie can't be compared when it suits you mean. It's absolutely fine though when using Fergie to show how bad van Gaal is.

Yep...

And how would you know who is destined for success or not? That's a hell of a skill and will make you the richest man alive... If you possess it, of course.
A bit ironic since that's exactly what you and the other philosophy disciples are guilty of. Fergie can't be compared to LVG when it's something good from Fergie that puts LVG in a worse light, but it's absolutely fine to highlight the bad from Fergie's tenure to show that things under LVG aren't that bad. At least be consistent.

ghagua

Fergie's worst teams played better than the crap that is being served up right now. We are coming off games where we do not even get a shot on target from open play. Kasper Schmeichel could not not have dream't of a easier game than the one he had on Saturday.

Sir A1ex

Fun fact, We didnt complete a single pass in the Leicester City box in the game just gone. You keep enjoying that....

http://www.squawka.com/news/man-utd-fail-to-play-pass-in-leicester-penalty-box-in-draw/532780
Tbf, they are fewer and furtehr between than I would have expected generally.

This weekend, Liverpool managed three, two of which left the penalty area from inside it. Even City in their 3-1 win did just four, and again one of those left the area. Spurs and Chelsea yesterday managed one each.
Look at any match, and those red dots are conspicuously absent from the penalty area.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sir Alex had given United the greatest success in history of the club and we get a poster cherry picking numbers completely out of context. LvG is not a patch on the great man. Let's get this out there before any more comparisons.
Ferguson was a terrible manager. Remember how someone compare points per game from Moyes season to some season under Ferguson and it looked like Moyes was doing better too. Now it's van Gaal against Ferguson. We can all agree that we had one of the worst managers in the world in Ferguson, he was dreadful.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
While the years between 2003 and 2005 were an absolute mess at times, anyone with a bit of common sense could see things clicking in February 2006. Some of us did get a bit worried things were going to pot again however, when Rooney and Ronaldo had that thing at the WC.

There is one thing I'd like to point out about the years between 2002-2006. The revisionism of Rio Ferdinand.
There were a lot of times where he was absolutely toilet, was criticised by the club captain, fans wished they still had Jaap Stam over him AND he was stupid enough to miss a drugs test and get banned for the guts of a year.
Thing is in those years we could field a team with Bellion, Kleberson and Djemba and still play half decent football. I remember how we went on 11 wins in a row run in 2005-06 by playing O'Shea and Giggs in midfield. We did not have personnel as most players were injured, past it or too young and inexperienced to influence games but we weren't exactly terrible. We needed investment, now we've already had investment and the quality is still poor.

Spock

We put on quite a few hideous performances in Ferguson's last decade. Even during the glorious 08-11 run if you have to work hard to find any matches where we played stellar football for more than 5-10 minutes of the 90. There were a few, but not many.

What we're seeing now is just an extension of Ferguson's philosophy of the end of his career: results first, style points second.

RedRover

We put on quite a few hideous performances in Ferguson's last decade. Even during the glorious 08-11 run if you have to work hard to find any matches where we played stellar football for more than 5-10 minutes of the 90. There were a few, but not many.

What we're seeing now is just an extension of Ferguson's philosophy of the end of his career: results first, style points second.
One thing about Fergie's teams is that even when we lacked quality, in the vast majority of games we kept going till the end to try and win the game. We were relentless and that was as much about attitude of the manager and the players than the quality of the football we were producing at the time.

People will point to games against "better" sides, especially in Europe where over two legs we were more cautious - but it wasn't the basis for how we played overall, which it seems to be now.

RedPnutz

Discussing our problems under Van Gaal, and the lack of tangible overall improvement is somehow construed as moaning (going by some of the posts in this thread - not necessarily yours), but that goes against the purpose of forums where we're supposed to exchange opinions.

After 14 games last season we were sitting on 25 points, vs 28 points for this season. So, has there actually been a lot of improvement on that front from a year to year basis? By the 15th week of the league campaign we were 3rd on the table. That's identical to where we are now. 24 goals scored vs 20 for this season (slight statistical decline), and 15 conceded vs 10 now (slight statistical improvement). Put aside the once in a blue moon Leicester City result where we totally capitulated, and it's almost identical on every front - points, goals scored, goals conceded. Does that really suggest tangible progress in terms of results, and overall improvement of the team/ squad, or have we already formed the opinion that we're better one year on? It's not just restricted to the league. Even in the League Cup, we made no dents this season, quite similar to the Milton Keynes Dawns ousting last year.

There's little to no squad rotation to the point where several starters were in the 'Red Zone' a few weeks ago. One injury to Smalling might send our defense teetering necessitating more heroics from De Gea (who mostly draws little to no praise from the manager for some odd reason, while he froths in the mouth at the mere mention of the biggest elephant in the room). Schweinsteiger who should've been managed in terms of workload (even some Bayern supporters suggested this) is starting almost every game. A couple other starters look knackered. We've loaned a player who could've atleast been some sort of help in attack, and Pereira who always seems to be among our brightest players hardly gets any opportunities while we revert to the same Plan B once Plan A doesn't work. We've left Round of 16 qualification to the last day, and will have to face a Wolfsburg team that is unbeaten on home soil for some time now. And to top it all off, the performances are underwhelming (infact, underwhelming might be an understatement) and our attack looks disjointed with no solution in sight.

In light of all of that, does the minor (3 point) improvement in league results suggest we will take the next step under Van Gaal, or is that just a passing illusion that we've used to convince ourselves that he's the right man to take the club forward? It's as if for some odd reason we are bound by duty to back everything the manager does to the hilt, and questioning that involves negative connotations, even when there's not a whole lot to suggest that we're improving at a requisite pace - one that might take us to where we were in the not too distant past.
I understand what you are trying to say but things can always be painted in a negative or positive light. Everything. So it is often about how you choose to view, whom you choose to believe and which perspective has the least cognitive dissonance for you.

Anyway my response to your post wasn't about you moaning or the general moaning. Although, I am curious why the Leicester result was put aside. Any time people try to make an argue with numbers but selectively omit and pick up certain data points, it loses some credibility.

The response was just me expressing the view that perhaps it is simply normal human nature and even expected that fans spout hate and vitriol about the manager in a sport where support is ruled by passion.

Because as you rightly pointed out, SAF was already a decorated manager (and with United no less) by 2003-2004, yet fans were calling him a dinosaur, saying he lost the plot, shredding his legacy and calling to 'Sack Fergie, Sell Giggs'.

If that is the standard displayed by and expected of fans even for a manager like SAF, then the response we are seeing with LVG is utterly normal, mild even.

That's all I was trying to express.

Not about whether 28 points being better than 25 or whether the attack is tepid or whether he's the right man or not. All these points have been raised and debated, fought over, posters have been ridiculed and offended, stats have been raise and thrashed, definitions of words have been twisted.

I'd wager not more than a handful of posters have altered their own stance by the thousands of posts by others.

But good post, the original one that I replied to.

RedPnutz

C'mon guys. A lot of this thread here are simply posters not reading the OP properly or as @SteveJ puts it, too impatient to read thoroughly.

At no point did @Dion throw SAF under the bus. At no point did he assume that LVG will lead us to success. At no point did he play down SAf''s successes to elevate LVG's. Neither did he say SAF was a terrible manager. Nor did he say this LVG stint will turn out like how it turned out for SAF after the Rob Smyth article. Neither did he claim we are playing entertaining enough Football or making huge strides of progress.

At the end of the day, there are some parallels between then and now: the Football was boring, the results were poor, the fans were irate, the media pounced, agenda-laden articles were written and supporters started to turn on the managers and themselves.

It turned out well then, but who knows how it will turn out this time. Let's just wait and see how the seasons turn without jumping at shades of imagined outcomes.

It becoming a bit silly now. I even saw a new term "philosophy disciples"! What's next?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
At no point did he assume that LVG will lead us to success. At no point did he play down SAf''s successes to elevate LVG's. Neither did he say SAF was a terrible manager. Nor did he say this LVG stint will turn out like how it turned out for SAF after the Rob Smyth article. Neither did he claim we are playing entertaining enough Football or making huge strides of progress.
Others joining the debate certainly did say most of those things.

Spock

One thing about Fergie's teams is that even when we lacked quality, in the vast majority of games we kept going till the end to try and win the game. We were relentless and that was as much about attitude of the manager and the players than the quality of the football we were producing at the time.

People will point to games against "better" sides, especially in Europe where over two legs we were more cautious - but it wasn't the basis for how we played overall, which it seems to be now.
True, Ferguson's sides always pushed to the final whistle. We just don't, or if we do the only idea we have is finding Fellaini with the long ball.

But it seems to me that a lot of posters here mistakenly think of a single Ferguson philosophy -- attack, attack! -- when in fact Ferguson evolved over time to something, in the end, not that different from what we're seeing under Van Gaal right now. Ferguson became a pragmatic old man in his last decade...and it should be noted that's when we enjoyed our greatest success. We were within a boar's breath of 7 straight EPL trophies and, but for an insane Barcelona, we likely would have won 3 CL's in 4 seasons. All with a highly pragmatic, possession-based philosophy built on the foundation of a fantastic defense.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But that would be ridiculous given we've had 3 managers in the last 3 decades and all of the previous rebuilding jobs have been done by one man. I don't draw any parallels between LvG and Fergie other than their current situations. I never implied SAF's success should be used as a reason to keep faith with LvG.

That things were this bad once under Fergie and that Fergie turned it around are two separate issues I intentionally avoided conflating.
I didn't mean a different example from the history of Manchester United - obviously not.

This is a pointless exercise, however. You're entitled to your opinion, as they say. I don't think Fergie is a useful analogy no matter how you twist it, because for me the main issue people - on a large scale - have with LVG is of an essentially different nature than what was voiced during Fergie's 2004-2006 rebuild.

RedRover

True, Ferguson's sides always pushed to the final whistle. We just don't, or if we do the only idea we have is finding Fellaini with the long ball.

But it seems to me that a lot of posters here mistakenly think of a single Ferguson philosophy -- attack, attack! -- when in fact Ferguson evolved over time to something, in the end, not that different from what we're seeing under Van Gaal right now. Ferguson became a pragmatic old man in his last decade...and it should be noted that's when we enjoyed our greatest success. We were within a boar's breath of 7 straight EPL trophies and, but for an insane Barcelona, we likely would have won 3 CL's in 4 seasons. All with a highly pragmatic, possession-based philosophy built on the foundation of a fantastic defense.
However you want to dress it up, Fergie was limited as to what he could spend and overall our quality dropped. Van Gaal has had a lot of money to achieve better.

And Fergie had earned the right for blind optimism at the club. Van Gaal hasn't done that. For me the issue is direction, or lack of it. There has been too little quality and too much pragmatism and I personally doubt that will change because Van Gaal is happy.

There are, in my opinion younger managers out there who could probably do a better job and they should be the comparators, not Fergie who managed, for the most part in a very different time. The comparisons to Fergie get us nowhere at all in the end because they are different men in totally different positions.

Spock

However you want to dress it up, Fergie was limited as to what he could spend and overall our quality dropped. Van Gaal has had a lot of money to achieve better.

And Fergie had earned the right for blind optimism at the club. Van Gaal hasn't done that. For me the issue is direction, or lack of it. There has been too little quality and too much pragmatism and I personally doubt that will change because Van Gaal is happy.

There are, in my opinion younger managers out there who could probably do a better job and they should be the comparators, not Fergie who managed, for the most part in a very different time. The comparisons to Fergie get us nowhere at all in the end because they are different men in totally different positions.

It's true than Van Gaal has had an enormous budget to work with. No question of that.

But it's also true that Ferguson had an enormous budget. He spent 30m on players when 30m was serious cash. 30m today is nothing all that special.

Some of Van Gaal's buys have been great, others not so great.

In no particular order than how that arise in my mind, here are Van Gaal's buys:

Di Maria 2 (we took a 20m loss on him, plus losses on his wages)
Shaw 9
Blind 8
Herrera 7
Darmian 6
Schweinsteiger 8
Schneiderlin 7
Memphis 5
Martial 8
Romero -- a decent backup keeper, so let's go with an 7

I'm sure I'm missing one or two names, but where I'm going with my assessment is that Van Gaal's buys overall have been fantastic, but we have a couple of bad misses. Di Maria, of course, but I'm also worried that Memphis is all hype and no, well, hat. I also saw no need to swap out Rafael for Darmian but I understand the thinking.

Could Van Gaal have made better buys? Yes and no. There are bigger names out there, but we couldn't land them. Our credibility had been shot by the Moyes debacle and picking up players of the caliber of Neymar or Muller was simply not going to happen.

We had to settle for Memphis even though LVG really wanted Bale. And that's the story of the transfer window -- you can't always get what you want. We need to make a credible run for the BPL trophy and show well in CL play before we can land the elite footballers we crave.

There's also the problem of Rooney but we've discussed that problem to death. Blame for Rooney's dire form lies almost entirely with Rooney himself, but Van Gaal has to accept blame for continuing to play him.

Think of it this way: our buys so far have been solid but we weren't able to land that final attacking player in the mold or Ronaldo/Bale/Robben who can destroy fullbacks and create chances. Finish the puzzle and we're there.

Andy_Cole

It's true than Van Gaal has had an enormous budget to work with. No question of that.

But it's also true that Ferguson had an enormous budget. He spent 30m on players when 30m was serious cash. 30m today is nothing all that special.

In no particular order than how that arise in my mind, here are Van Gaal's buys:

Shaw 9
Blind 8
Herrera 7
Darmian 6
Schweinsteiger 8
Schneiderlin 7
Memphis 5
Martial 8

I'm sure I'm missing one or two names, but where I'm going with my assessment is that Van Gaal's buys overall have been fantastic, but we have a couple of bad misses. Di Maria, of course, but I'm also worried that Memphis is all hype and no, well, hat. I also saw no need to swap out Rafael for Darmian but I understand the thinking.

Could Van Gaal have made better buys? Yes and no. There are bigger names out there, but we couldn't land them. Our credibility had been shot by the Moyes debacle and picking up players of the caliber of Neymar or Muller was simply not going to happen.

We had to settle for Memphis even though LVG really wanted Bale. And that's the story of the transfer window -- you can't always get what you want. We need to make a credible run for the BPL trophy and show well in CL play before we can land the elite footballers we crave.

There's also the problem of Rooney but we've discussed that problem to death. Blame for Rooney's dire form lies almost entirely with Rooney himself, but Van Gaal has to accept blame for continuing to play him.

Think of it this way: our buys so far have been solid but we weren't able to land that final attacking player in the mold or Ronaldo/Bale/Robben who can destroy fullbacks and create chances. Finish the puzzle and we're there.
Your ratings are awful. Shaw a 9? He's only had a handful of good games before getting injured. Then Memphis a 5 but Martial an 8? Yes you can rate their season that but rate the signing? Way way too early to do that! Plus Memphis' productivity has actually been pretty decent to be fair to him. Also if we get 2 years of Bastian but 10 years of Memphis you'd say Memphis would be a much better signing.

Everyone needs to stop writing our players off.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

is he? He has talked several times recently about things he wants the team to improve - move the ball faster, more shots etc. We are well organised at the back but he knows the job is only half done and hes still looking for the right formula upfront. I think he will find it sooner rather than later.

Spock

Your ratings are awful. Shaw a 9? He's only had a handful of good games before getting injured. Then Memphis a 5 but Martial an 8? Yes you can rate their season that but rate the signing? Way way too early to do that! Plus Memphis' productivity has actually been pretty decent to be fair to him. Also if we get 2 years of Bastian but 10 years of Memphis you'd say Memphis would be a much better signing.

Everyone needs to stop writing our players off.
Shaw has been fantastic, at least as I see it. Disagreement is fair, though. All I would say is that we miss Shaw's defensive and offensive capabilities, which was best of breed in the league at the moment Moreno cut him down.

Memphis has been terrible. Will he eventually come around? Probably. I'm just calling it as it has been, not how I wish is to be someday.

Martial has been fantastic. The main reason he's gone cold of late is that opposing defenders understand he's our only credible attacking threat and double-marking him. He gets no service and everywhere he goes with the ball he's immediately blanketed with two or three defenders.

Back to Memphis, since you emphasized his potential. My broader point is that Van Gaal's buys have actually been very good, but haven't been able to land that one elite attacking player of the Ronaldo/Bale/Robben level that surely you must agree Memphis is not. Memphis was a good buy and I'm confident he'll pull himself together, but based on the early returns there's not a lot to get excited about in his play so far. His dreadful play will end, hopefully this month!

RedPnutz

I thought this was an interesting article by Ken Early. Seems to distil a lot of what everyone's saying about our current style and style under Fergie.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...united-old-boys-have-short-memories-1.2448160
This is a good article, not because I agree with all the points but it there are many parts that are relevant today. Will paste the article here.

Which was the greatest football team in history? The Brazilians of 1970? The Dutch AC Milan of the late 80s? The Barcelona of Guardiola and Messi? None of these. The greatest team ever to play the game was the Manchester United “of old”, when the legion of ex-players currently commenting on United in the media were still playing for the club.

In those days, United either won 5-0 or scored a last-minute goal to win 3-2 after going 2-0 down. You never knew which of those two Manchester Uniteds was going to turn up. They would smash their opponents to pieces, then smash the broken pieces into even smaller pieces. Words like “buccaneering” were hauled out of 18th-century obscurity and used to describe their play, because modern words were not romantic enough to capture their rollicking, free-spirited adventure. You score three, we’ll score seven – that was the United way.

At least that’s how the ex-United players seem to remember it, foremost among them the erstwhile ginger genius, Paul Scholes. Alex Ferguson described Scholes as “a man of excellent opinions”, and the now-prolific pundit has become the most influential critic of Louis van Gaal’s “boring” side.

Divorced from reality
The curious thing about Scholes’s excellent opinions is how often they seem to be totally divorced from reality. “I was lucky enough to play with players that you would give them the ball and they can beat five men and ram the ball in the top corner,” he recently told viewers on BT Sport.
Is this true? If Scholes really said this then he is more than a bit thick. Technically he isn't wrong, it happened once (as below) so he did play with such players, but to speak as if it happened on a regular basis to put LVG's team down just shows he has an agenda.

In fact, when you think back over Scholes’s 19 years at United, only one goal of the type he describes comes to mind – Ryan Giggs’ winner against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semi-final. Scholes’s commentary is quite typical of the reminiscences of the former United players. Maybe success has a tendency to scramble the brain, because those of us who watched from the outside remember it differently.
And this is why the management will always choose success and results over entertainment, because it is true. Each individual poster will claim the contrary but unfortunately the general average of the masses will make it so.

Take for instance the United team of 2008-9, whose attack featured Cristiano Ronaldo, a young and energetic Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, and Dimitar Berbatov. They won the Premier League with 90 points, yet their tally of 68 league goals was only four more than United scored in the David Moyes season. The reason they were so successful was that they went four whole months without conceding a goal in the league. Fourteen of their 44 wins that season were by 1-0.
A bit of cherry-picking here, I feel to pick one specific example. But is it relevant nonetheless, because one counter example is sufficient to negate the general sweeping statements about our copious amounts of goals and consistent attacking football under SAF.

Ferguson always paid lip-service to the idea of attacking football, but the reality was that he often sent out defence-focused sides, knowing he could rely on his world-class forwards to make the difference. Once you’ve got a reputation for playing attacking football, you can defend with nine men all day.
This bit is flippant, but there is truth. In his last years, SAF sent out teams that were frequently more defensive-focused (he called it more tactically mature or something like that in this autobiographies) and the more rational posters will remember frequently dull games. But the difference was, SAF had already built a reputation for attacking football, of how Man Utd will always score more than you, how Utd will come back in injury time (didn't Fergie said this tapping of the watch was purely a psychological manoeuvre?); so the psychological pressure was always there. LVG doesn't have that and may never will.

Van Gaal’s situation at United has some echoes of Pep Guardiola’s at Bayern Munich. In his first season in Germany, Guardiola was often criticised by ex-Bayern players who complained that his possession-oriented style was boring.

The critics were at their loudest in April 2014, when Bayern went to Madrid for the Champions League semi-final, monopolised the ball and most of the opportunities, and lost 1-0 to a breakaway goal. Afterwards, Guardiola said: “I’m aware that I’m attempting something counter-cultural. Here they like the way Real Madrid played against us, the counter-attacking football of Borussia Dortmund. But Bayern hired me, my style of football.”
And that is another key point. The board hired LVG. I can't imagine a pedantic person like LVG would not have told the board in detail about what he was going to do and how it would likely turn out. But the board still hired him, which leads me to think that for the short term, the board has a very different view from the fans. Steady the ship, rebuild, achieve respectable results, don't jeopardise commercial revenue. Nothing about swashbuckling, entertaining football.

What Guardiola said about German cultural preferences could be applied to England. The game in both countries has been shaped by the tastes of the crowds. The crowds prefer high-tempo direct football that gets the ball into the box as often as possible, because that’s when a crowd knows it’s time to get excited.

Alex Ferguson’s United teams used the home crowd to their advantage. They would get it wide and sling it repeatedly into the box. Creating a lot of chances would get the crowd going, even if they weren’t good-quality chances, and Old Trafford in full cry put opponents under the sort of psychological pressure that few were equipped to handle.

Coaches like van Gaal and Guardiola see the game differently. The “boring, sideways passing” in midfield that Scholes complains about is, for them, an essential element of good attacking play. Passing in midfield is how you disrupt your opponents’ organisation. Guardiola told the journalist Marti Perarnau that “If there isn’t a sequence of 15 passes first, it’s impossible to carry out the transition between defence and attack. Impossible.”
If the above is true, then the guys in the "we want guardiola" camp better reconsider. 15 fecking passes? One to the wing, dribble past 5 guys, cross it or slam it into the far corner - that's the United Way. Maybe that's why in the Neville thread, we have suggestions that we need two out of Neymar, Bale, Messi, Ronaldo, and Suarez.

And woe betide the rigid Pep. It is IMPOSSIBLE to carry out the transition without 15 fecking passes. Why are players shackled? Why the risk less attitude? Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

Frustrating
The problem with implementing a 15-pass rule in English football is that the crowd doesn’t see the point of all this midfield manoeuvring and starts to chant “attack, attack, attack attack attack”, which is frustrating since that is exactly what you think you are doing.

Newspaper reports over the weekend suggested Guardiola might like to coach United whenever he decides to leave Bayern. If he comes to Old Trafford, the football will be like van Gaal’s, only more so. If United supporters don’t like what they’re seeing now, they should be hoping for Ryan Giggs rather than Guardiola to inherit van Gaal’s job. That’s the best way to find out whether the United way is more than just a trick of the memory.
Sometimes I think our fans deserve to have Ryan Giggs as manager. He could succeed, and I wish he does. But probabilities suggest he is going to fail while trying to play the vaunted United Way (which is a pretty meaningless sound bite). Maybe if he fails, the old guard will shut up and the fans will have a purge of this semi-romantic notion of some mythical way of playing under SAF and finally get over their grief of losing SAF, the greatest manager of all time.

red_devil83

At no point ever during Fergie's 'poor' periods, did I ever have any doubt that he would get it right again. That level of faith just isn't applicable to LvG.

Even Fergie's least stylish or most boring teams (1990s onwards) were more entertaining because they tried to win. You know, actual visible efforts to win the game that supporters can appreciate: running forward with the ball, playing through balls, running in behind, good crossing, dribbling, shooting... the current team does none of this most games. It's football by percentage. If we have enough of the ball, eventually by random coincidence we'll get a goal.

Case in point, the last 30 seconds against Leicester. We had possession and literally did nothing with it. Nobody made a run. Nobody tried a pass. BFS moved forward a bit, turned around, nobody gave a shit and the ref got bored and blew early. fecking criminal behaviour for a United team

RedPnutz

At no point ever during Fergie's 'poor' periods, did I ever have any doubt that he would get it right again. That level of faith just isn't applicable to LvG.

Even Fergie's least stylish or most boring teams (1990s onwards) were more entertaining because they tried to win. You know, actual visible efforts to win the game that supporters can appreciate: running forward with the ball, playing through balls, running in behind, good crossing, dribbling, shooting... the current team does none of this most games. It's football by percentage. If we have enough of the ball, eventually by random coincidence we'll get a goal.

Case in point, the last 30 seconds against Leicester. We had possession and literally did nothing with it. Nobody made a run. Nobody tried a pass. BFS moved forward a bit, turned around, nobody gave a shit and the ref got bored and blew early. fecking criminal behaviour for a United team
Likewise.

I am generally positive about LVG's contribution to the team and I even think that the so-called boring football isn't a problem.

But yes, I really wish to see us throw the kitchen sink in the last 10 minutes to win - because it gives you hope and it shows ambition. But these days nothing. This is probably the one thing about LVG's stint that I have a problem with.

Dion

Why or how?
Because if we hadn't given Rooney and Ronaldo the game time at the expense of our own success in the short term we'd never have had the cornerstone our most successful team ever was based on.

RedRover

Shaw 9
Blind 8
Herrera 7
Darmian 6
Schweinsteiger 8
Schneiderlin 7
Memphis 5
Martial 8

In the latter years, when it was evident we were hamstrung in the transfer market in general, that was when the quality dropped. Before then we played good football in general. Even after that time Fergie managed to get results and create a side better than the sum of its parts.

The fact is, whether or not the players have been a success - they are his players. He may have wanted others but frankly, you don't have to be a great footballing brain to work out that top class, £100 million players will help you play good football, if managed right.

If he couldn't get the players he wanted he should have had other players in mind who could, in his opinion, do the job. he has a scouting network and millions at his disposal after all. He's recently talked about "pace" out wide - and it highlights the point. He has shunted Mata out there to accommodate Rooney - and frankly, if he thought we needed pace why was it not addressed in the summer?

RedRover

is he? He has talked several times recently about things he wants the team to improve - move the ball faster, more shots etc. We are well organised at the back but he knows the job is only half done and hes still looking for the right formula upfront. I think he will find it sooner rather than later.
He's happy enough to keep putting the side out there and asking them to do the same things week in week out.

Overall, he's had 18 months to find the right formula. He needs to find it soon.

Spock

In the latter years, when it was evident we were hamstrung in the transfer market in general, that was when the quality dropped. Before then we played good football in general. Even after that time Fergie managed to get results and create a side better than the sum of its parts.

The fact is, whether or not the players have been a success - they are his players. He may have wanted others but frankly, you don't have to be a great footballing brain to work out that top class, £100 million players will help you play good football, if managed right.

If he couldn't get the players he wanted he should have had other players in mind who could, in his opinion, do the job. he has a scouting network and millions at his disposal after all. He's recently talked about "pace" out wide - and it highlights the point. He has shunted Mata out there to accommodate Rooney - and frankly, if he thought we needed pace why was it not addressed in the summer?
We played pragmatic football in Ferguson's last few seasons, but he was riding the top of end brilliant careers by Carrick, Rio, Vidic, Evra, VDS and then the beginning of a brilliant career by De Gea. RvP was a fantastic buy but he gave us only one good season. Rooney was still a fantastic, through no longer world class, player in his last season under Ferguson.

These are LVG's players, but except for Rooney and perhaps Memphis you could reasonably argue all his players have played very well.

As for why LVG couldn't attract Bale, Neymar or Muller, I think it's as simple as they're all happy where they are and saw no upside for leaving incredibly successful clubs in beautiful cities for a club still climbing out of the Moyes era in a less than ideal city to live in. Manchester is no Madrid nor Munich. We need to show at least one season with great results before we can expect a truly massive name, in or near his prime, to come to OT.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
We played pragmatic football in Ferguson's last few seasons, but he was riding the top of end brilliant careers by Carrick, Rio, Vidic, Evra, VDS and then the beginning of a brilliant career by De Gea. RvP was a fantastic buy but he gave us only one good season. Rooney was still a fantastic, through no longer world class, player in his last season under Ferguson.

These are LVG's players, but except for Rooney and perhaps Memphis you could reasonably argue all his players have played very well.

As for why LVG couldn't attract Bale, Neymar or Muller, I think it's as simple as they're all happy where they are and saw no upside for leaving incredibly successful clubs in beautiful cities for a club still climbing out of the Moyes era in a less than ideal city to live in. Manchester is no Madrid nor Munich. We need to show at least one season with great results before we can expect a truly massive name, in or near his prime, to come to OT.
We struggled to sign those type of players even when we were winning trophies consistently.

Arytonblue

Emerald Isle (Paddyland for the uncultured swine)
So the very people who bemoan any negative comparison of United under LVG to the way Ferguson had them play are now using random statistics and scenarios from Fergie's time, often times cherry picked to suit their own narrative, to paint Van Gaal's reign in a better light? We already had that Ken Early rubbish and now this? You can use basically any certain scenario or event from a certain period of time and compare it to the present in whatever way you want to suit your view on something, it's almost always utterly pointless.

Firstly, and I say this as a critic of LVG's tactics and decisions, there's really no need to bring up Fergie or the past comparisons in order to sufficiently defend Van Gaal's record and performance. The vast majority of the time they're utter red herrings and have little point. Secondly, why is there a sudden growth in revisionism to try and paint Fergie's time as not as good as previously thought? Take the 03/04 season as a good example, which I've some on here used in a 'Fergie had bad times too!' way. Little mention of the fact that we had a pretty good first half of the season, carrying on from that brilliant second half from 02/03, and were leading the table heading in to the new year against an invincibles Arsenal and revitalized Chelsea only for a ridiculous Ferdinand ban and injury crises saw us finish 3rd having been in the top two for most of the season, we also won the FA Cup and were incredibly unlucky to go out to Porto in CL.

It's not to say we were always amazing under Fergie, but the main complaint I and many others have right now is how poor our attack looks this season, a small minority and a bunch of idiot pundits using one liners about 'swashbuckling' United doesn't make that complaint any less valid. I'd really hope we don't start seeing any more of this shite of not being true fans and use of equally useless comparisons that we saw from Moyes' ardent supporters, really not necessary. The article in question was a typical piece of simplistic, attention seeking trash that has become infamous for being so wrong about literally everything, so I don't know why it's being pointed to at all.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
@Dion thanks very much for this post, it was a good read and a very eloquently put point with perspective.

I don't entirely agree with you, but what I do appreciate is that there are some people who can present a respectful argument of why they support what LVG is doing. Too many people are just argumentative and fail to provide a reasoned argument and don't accept or respect anyone with an opposing argument.

For me, though, football is unique. In football, anything can happen. Each case is different. So whilst your post presents one thing that COULD happen, I don't believe it's reason to stand by LVG blankly, or think that it somehow increase the chances it will happen under LVG.

As others may or may not have said, very few actually want LVG sacked. The rational ones amongst us at least. It's all about the quality of football, and it's more a show of frustration. Because let's face it, it's unbearable. Matter of opinions sure, but I certainly disagree that 2004 was worse. Why? Because this frustration isn't just about the pure quality. It's about the fundamental principles of how we play the game. In 2004 we might not have been aesthetically pleasing or have any true quality in how we played, but we never insisted on continual backward or sideways passes. That's the key for me, it's not just quality but also purpose.

Because of LVGs track record, and it's only been 18 months, I have no issues on giving him time. But the truth is he has to get results, especially if the football will be like this because then it's the only thing he will be able to fall back on. I know your post shows that something could be brewing even if it isn't obvious, but I also think it's fair to say that there's plenty of scenarios where you could apply the exact same theorem, exact same principles, and they'd turn out in the opposite way; things never got better, and it was a waste of time. Hell, you could even apply your entire post to the Moyes era, could you not? With the exception of the experience that Moyes has, of course. Anyway, point is that what happened with Fergie in 2004 shouldn't be a factor in how we deal and appraise LVG. It was a unique moment in football, like every moment.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He's happy enough to keep putting the side out there and asking them to do the same things week in week out.

Overall, he's had 18 months to find the right formula. He needs to find it soon.
Well he's not managed to put a consistent forward unit out there for a while due to injuries - Herrera and Lingard are a big miss at the moment

The biggest issue, and Van Gaal has to take some blame for this, is sticking with a woefully out of form Rooney

and this season was almost a new start really - so its more like 4 months with a new formation

roykeane19

Fergie's worst teams played better than the crap that is being served up right now. We are coming off games where we do not even get a shot on target from open play. Kasper Schmeichel could not not have dream't of a easier game than the one he had on Saturday.
And for whatever reason SAF worst teams looked like due to a lack of funds or maybe something else, but most of those players he bought from 03 onwards till he retired where pretty cheap, and player for player(when we had those bad years of kleberson, djemba etc) where way inferior to the team we have right now.Thing is even if LVG is given 200 mill more our team would play the same, it seems his answer to everything is to throw more money at it.

Instead of getting the best out of what he has, but hes not even doing that, and thats what seperates the good managers from the bad managers. He seems to busy living in the past, saying hes the pioneer of doing this and that before other managers, but hasn`t really set the world alight since his Ajax days

Spock

We struggled to sign those type of players even when we were winning trophies consistently.
Struggled perhaps, but we did land some massive names over the Ferguson years.

Cantona
Keane
Schmeichel
Rio
Rooney
Ruud
Veron
Berbatov
Tevez
De Gea

(I exclude Ronaldo as he was somewhat unknown as a teen. I do include De Gea as he was already widely known.)

But we struck out on players like Ronaldinho and Robben. Many others.

We'll struggle a bit more than we should until we lift a league trophy. Then we can go in for the kill on a massive name and, hopefully, then be able to make a serious run for the CL trophy.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Cantona
Keane
Schmeichel
Rio
Rooney
Ruud
Veron
Berbatov
Tevez
De Gea

(I exclude Ronaldo as he was somewhat unknown as a teen. I do include De Gea as he was already widely known.)

We'll struggle a bit more than we should until we lift a league trophy. Then we can go in for the kill on a massive name and, hopefully, then be able to make a serious run for the CL trophy.
With the exception of Veron and maybe Ferdinand Di Maria and Falcao(edit also Schweinsteiger obviously) had bigger reputations then any of those guys when they actually signed for the club. The rest were similar to signings like Depay, Shaw or Schneiderlin.

Spock

With the exception of Veron and maybe Ferdinand Di Maria and Falcao(edit also Schweinsteiger obviously) had bigger reputations then any of those guys when they actually signed for the club. The rest were similar to signings like Depay, Shaw or Schneiderlin.
Cantona was a massive signing, at least I recall a lot of hype surrounding it at the time of signing. Rooney was a massive signing. Ruud, absolutely. Certainly Berbatov (though he proved to be a disappointment). Tevez for sure, except that he had the weird ownership rights clause with his agent.

RoadTrip

Cantona
Keane
Schmeichel
Rio
Rooney
Ruud
Veron
Berbatov
Tevez
De Gea

Ronaldo had an absolutely huge reputation in the footballing community. Let's not rewrite history. Ronaldo was being courted by every single big club.

That said, it's not young players who have huge reputations that we had a problem signing but the more established older ones with bug reputations. We missed a lot of those.

RoadTrip

Cantona was a massive signing, at least I recall a lot of hype surrounding it at the time of signing. Rooney was a massive signing. Ruud, absolutely. Certainly Berbatov (though he proved to be a disappointment). Tevez for sure, except that he had the weird ownership rights clause with his agent.
But all players largely courted only in the PL. He's not far off to say they are like a Schneiderlin, who by no means had a crappy reputation himself.

Canto a maybe the exception though.