Signing players from Relegated sides

Zlatattack

I was watching a video on tifo Football about the 10 best signings of the decade. I didn't agree with all the signings, but 2 stood out because they were players signed from a relegated side. Hull City after relegation in 2017 sold Harry Maguire and Andy Robertson to Leicester and Liverpool. Both have gone on to become excellent players.

If we look at the premier league table and look at the sides at risk of relegation, are there any players they have which you'd think would add worth to us?

At time of writing this the bottom 5 clubs are;

Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth, Villa, West Ham.

The difference between 18 and 11 is only 5 points, but for the sake of arguement, i'm going to stick with these 5.

In my opinion. stand out options;

Max Aarons, Declan Rice, Ryan Fraser, Felipe Anderson - I think any of these guys would improve our options.

Other options; Godfrey, Grealish, McGinn, Doucoure, Ake, Brooks. Not really so sure on these, but defo an upgrade on Mata, Lingard, Matic etc.

Are any of them really Manchester United quality? I think so, some of them could defintely improve our squad. They won't win us the league, but we need to fill in our gaps.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Add in Buendia and Pukki from Norwich, while Ake belongs in the top category.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I was watching a video on tifo Football about the 10 best signings of the decade. I didn't agree with all the signings, but 2 stood out because they were players signed from a relegated side. Hull City after relegation in 2017 sold Harry Maguire and Andy Robertson to Leicester and Liverpool. Both have gone on to become excellent players.

If we look at the premier league table and look at the sides at risk of relegation, are there any players they have which you'd think would add worth to us?

At time of writing this the bottom 5 clubs are;

Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth, Villa, West Ham.

The difference between 18 and 11 is only 5 points, but for the sake of arguement, i'm going to stick with these 5.

In my opinion. stand out options;

Max Aarons, Declan Rice, Ryan Fraser, Felipe Anderson - I think any of these guys would improve our options.

Other options; Godfrey, Grealish, McGinn, Doucoure, Ake, Brooks. Not really so sure on these, but defo an upgrade on Mata, Lingard, Matic etc.

Are any of them really Manchester United quality? I think so, some of them could defintely improve our squad. They won't win us the league, but we need to fill in our gaps.
I like Godfrey a lot from what I’ve seen but Buendia is more what we need.

Doucoure blows hot and cold but is an upgrade.

A lot of names there that are developing talents

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Would stay well clear of Felipe Anderson - He's looked completely disinterested this season. I'd sign Grealish, no doubt. And if they go down and he's going cheap, i'd have a punt on McGinn. I'd take Ake and Brooks too. Not keen on Fraser. Likewise, I think Burnley could be in trouble and I like Tarkowski.

Paul_Scholes18

Don't think West Ham will go down, but not really sold on their players. I think F Anderson got a good level in him though, but is very much hit and miss. Rice I think is overrated. Antonio a great work horse who could maybe functions as a backup player for a big side.

I think Doucoure has been bloody good before, but not sure what has happened to him this season. Certainly wish we had hi in our midfield still. Grealish is good, but not sure a big club would suit him. Although might be worth a gamble still.

Suvvernmanc

I would love to sign Max Aarons. I think he's a quality attacking right back. Before anyone says 'we dont need a right back', I would like to have Aaron Wan-bissaka at CB either alongside Maguire, or in a 3 with Victor. That would allow Max Aarons to be our attacking full back.

Pointless in me giving that opinion really as it'll never happen. Maybe Max Aarons could be cheap enough to make it worth while as Ashley Young isn't getting any younger.

Grealish is a no brainer. Tod Cantwell could be the best option as Norwich look certain to go down, lowering his price in return. All other options in my opinion are either not good enough or will be too expensive for what your getting. Issa Diop would be £50m+. Declan Rice would be £70m+ etc..

Sea-Cow

It is hard to know how he be once he (finally) recovers from his serious knee injury, but Brooks is a brilliant footballer. I just hope he isn't f'd by this injury, like Shaw.

Bournemouth have a few that I think could be smart additions.

Really, our squad is so terrible that there are multiple players from these sides that could immediately step in and improve us. I don't want us to splash the cash for Rice and I pray that we won't, but there is no denying that he would improve the squad. Its a very low bar, unfortunately.

Judas

Open to offers
Felipe Anderson is utter wank, West Ham is the perfect team for him. Yeah he'll look great one game, but then be terrible for ten. Never thought he was good enough before, certainly don't now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Grealish is a must, even if Villa don't go down.
I'd have Deulofeu and Ake also, both very good options, Deulofeu can play off the left as well as the right.

BrokeDR

Great shout. Gana Gueye from Villa to Everton was a significant transfer also

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Andy Robertson, Wijnaldum, Joe Cole, Roy Keane...there have been some great examples of this working out for teams.

Sea-Cow

Grealish is a must, even if Villa don't go down.
I'd have Deulofeu and Ake also, both very good options, Deulofeu can play off the left as well as the right.
Good shout on Dulofeu as I've always thought he should be at a higher level.

Ake isn't good enough in the air I don't think. But, he is probably better than Lindelof overall.

And I just don't think Graelish is quick enough. I can see us splashing the cash, spending a boat load on him, and then the fans losing patience after about 30 minutes. "He's too slow!" "He slows down our play!" "He offers no pressure on the opposition!"

Ekeke

Yes but obviously its unlikely to turn out quite as well as the Robertson and Maguire signings

Buendia would be my pick for someone who isnt already well known and hyped up who could turn out well for a top club. Grealish is obviously the one most teams will want but he has a completely different profile to those low key Robertson and Maguire signings that turned out so well.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Great shout. Gana Gueye from Villa to Everton was a significant transfer also

Ake isn't good enough in the air I don't think. But, he is probably better than Lindelof overall.

And I just don't think Graelish is quick enough. I can see us splashing the cash, spending a boat load on him, and then the fans losing patience after about 30 minutes. "He's too slow!" "He slows down our play!" "He offers no pressure on the opposition!"
As a Watford ST holder i can confirm you don’t want Deulofeo at United. He lacks consistency, desire and work rate to be an upgrade on what we (united) have. He has great moments but he’s not the required level for us. Now Doucoure on the other hand....

NoPace

As a Watford ST holder i can confirm you don’t want Deulofeo at United. He lacks consistency, desire and work rate to be an upgrade on what we (united) have. He has great moments but he’s not the required level for us. Now Doucoure on the other hand....
I like Deulofeu more than you but I think he's redundant with Rashford and James being best at LW, unless a new manager is convinced Rashford is a 9 and Greenwood a RW, I guess, but even then.

Is Doucoure good enough on the ball? It would be nice to have a midfielder with the legs and desire to get into the box to compensate for Martial and even Greenwood liking to drop deep and wide and leave the middle free.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You could build a very good starting XI (que the jokes about it being better than ours) out of the teams that could be relegated

---------------Foster---------------
Aarons--Mings--Ake--Lewis
-Doucoure-Rice-Grealish-
Wilson----Wilson----Cantwell

How many would I want? I'd definitely take Lewis, Grealish and Cantwell. Callum Wilson as a back up wouldn't be bad either

SambaBoy

Ake is actually quite good in the air. He isn't the tallest of CB's but he makes it up with great timing an jump. He's a better option than Lindelof I think but if he was to move, it will likely be to City or back to Chelsea.

Grealish likes to operate from the inside left position which is where we are already overloaded especially if Pogba stays, so we need a central player who operates better on the inside right position, therefore Maddison would be a better option.

Baneofthegame

Out of the three teams in the relegation zone now I’d take:

Grealish
McGinn
Ake
C.Wilson
Brooks
Buendia
Godfrey

Ashes1396

Buendia's chance creating stats are top 2 teams quality. Statistically he is the best of the teams in relaxation battles.

SouthPredators4

I will go for Mings, Grealish, Aarons. All 3 will add significant depth to our squad. Not keen on the rest.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Barring Grealish ,and at a stretch Buendia, I personally feel we have enough squad players as it is. Now is the time to bring in top notch quality.

croadyman

What about Fraser on that troublesome RW for us, mind you he looked certain to sign for Liverpool and then it suddenly went dead.

I also like Lewis Cook who was in the standby squad for the last world cup but hasn't kicked on maybe due to injuries.