Signing players from relegated teams

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Norwich, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford are in relegation places, with Norwich almost guaranteed to go down. Brighton looks safe for now with 6 points above 17th placed team and much better goal difference.

We should look at few of the players who might improve our squad for not so big price and few might challenge our first 11 players too.

Norwich - Buendia, Cantwell, Jamal Lewis, Max Aarons, Godfrey

Aston Villa - Grealish, McGinn,

Bournemouth - Ake, Josh King, David Brooks, Ryan Fraser

West Ham - Anderson, Rice

Watford - Gerard Deulofeu, Sarr, DouCoure

Obviously not everyone is good enough but few of them might end up as good value signings. We should look to sign as squad options.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Out of those you've listed @roonster09 , i wouldn't mind any of Grealish, McGinn, Buendia, Cantwell, Lewis, Aarons, Brooks or F.Anderson.

Mings could be a decent option at CB as a squaddie, too. We definitely need one because Maguire can't be expected to play every game like this season. Smqlling looks gone, and Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe haven't shown they can be relied upon yet.

Bondi77

I could be wrong but don’t the relegated clubs get the umbrella payment for the first season they are relegated so to cover the wages of their players.
If that is the case and the club want to get straight back into the top flight then why would they sell their best players at less than market value which then virtually condemns them to staying in the Championship for the foreseeable future.
Grealish is a villan through and through so I do not think it is a case of him wanting to jump ship as soon as Villa go down.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Out of those you've listed @roonster09 , i wouldn't mind any of Grealish, McGinn, Buendia, Cantwell, Lewis, Aarons, Brooks or F.Anderson.

Mings could be a decent option at CB as a squaddie, too. We definitely need one because Maguire can't be expected to play every game like this season. Smqlling looks gone, and Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe haven't shown they can be relied upon yet.
Yeah, all will be good options and might be upgrade on players like Lingard and Pereira. We should have good squad depth, players like Lingard and Pereira are not good enough and we can't rely on player fitness.

Sarr looks very interesting player too, he has pace and plays as RW.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'd definitely take Ake to compete with Lindelof, assuming we're fecking off any/all of Jones/Rojo/Bailly.

Always looks solid every time I see him. Left footed, decent on the ball, seems to have no injury issues, plenty of league experience, and still only 25.

stubie

I like the look of Max Aarons

He would be great competition for AWB

Mindhunter

I could be wrong but don’t the relegated clubs get the umbrella payment for the first season they are relegated so to cover the wages of their players.
If that is the case and the club want to get straight back into the top flight then why would they sell their best players at less than market value which then virtually condemns them to staying in the Championship for the foreseeable future.
Grealish is a villan through and through so I do not think it is a case of him wanting to jump ship as soon as Villa go down.
You are right. I think they get umbrella payments for the next three years (post relegation) with decreasing amounts each year. As to the second part of your question - players sometimes don't want to play in the championship and often clubs want to offload high wage players in order to improve the cost structure given their reduced capacity to earn revenue.

Trying to keep high earners on the books against their wishes is a very high risk strategy which can backfire spectacularly and result in the club dropping more than one level.

Bondi77

You are right. I think they get umbrella payments for the next three years (post relegation) with decreasing amounts each year. As to the second part of your question - players sometimes don't want to play in the championship and often clubs want to offload high wage players in order to improve the cost structure given their reduced capacity to earn revenue.

Trying to keep high earners on the books against their wishes is a very high risk strategy which can backfire spectacularly and result in the club dropping more than one level.
Which would not be the case for Grealish as what he has stated on numerous occasions is that he loves his current club and for us to suggest that he would want to jump ship is just us hoping he thinks that way which he has shown absolutely no evidence of thus far.

Havak

Pokemon master
Those players look very talented and should be Premier League players in my eyes, so it'd be interesting to see which ones go down and end up being sold. I doubt many will mange to end up at Top Six clubs for example, but at the same time maybe this is the best chance for it to happen? I think even the big teams will be looking for bargains more-so than usual this coming window due to decreased profits after the pandemic.

Just as an example, at United I doubt fans would complain if the likes of Cantwell, Buendia, or Grealish were bought with the idea that they replaced Lingard & Andreas in our squad.

Arsenal should be fighting tooth and nail to get Ake & Rice if Bournemouth and West Ham are the ones to go.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Aarons is going to end up on a top 6 team sooner than later, same with Grealish.

I'd take Ake, Cantwell as rotation options. None from the West Ham brigade excite me.

slored1

Cantwell/Grealish or Brooks are the only ones I would seriously consider. The rest are meh.

SambaBoy

Out of them, I would take Aarons. McGinn is a good player but we have decent depth in CM with players on equal footing with him in McTominay and Fred. When we replace Matic or bring in another CM, we should be aiming higher. Grealish is a great player and will develop further and whoever gets him, will be getting a quality player but he's not what we need. Our team would be lopsided if we were to bring him in with most of our attacking threat coming from the left side of the pitch.

Aarons is a good little player, a bit rash defensively and nowhere near the standard of AWB in that respect but going forward he's very direct and an upgrade so it will keep AWB on his toes and would be a decent buy if we can get him for a reasonable price. He will stay in the PL, probably at Everton or a club in that ilk.

Gopher Brown

Brooks has played 120 minutes all season. I have no idea why people are suggesting him, other than he was flavour of the month for a while last season - “oh, that’s a name I remember, let’s mention him”

Web of Bissaka

Brooks has played 120 minutes all season. I have no idea why people are suggesting him, other than he was flavour of the month for a while last season - “oh, that’s a name I remember, let’s mention him”
Or you know, because the people still rate his creativity and off the ball movement among other things. Mainly injured this season likely meant his transfer price would be lower. Rather have him as our squad player than Mata nor Lingard. Other than Bruno, we have no other good player to play the #10.

Gopher Brown

Or you know, because the people still rate his creativity and off the ball movement among other things. Mainly injured this season likely meant his transfer price would be lower. Rather have him as our squad player than Mata nor Lingard. Other than Bruno, we have no other good player to play the #10.
Ahh, memories of 27th April 2019, the last time he played a full game. I’d rather we didn’t sign players who are returning from long term injuries based on half a decent season a while ago.

marktan

3 have caught my eye from the relegation pack and would be good enough for a top team.

Graelish a given obviously. Brooks I think is classy too, has a bit of ozil in his style of play.
The other would be Buendia of Norwich, I know they've struggled but he stands out to me every time. Would hopefully a bit like signing Wjnaldum from a relegated Newcastle.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Aarons is going to end up on a top 6 team sooner than later, same with Grealish.

I'd take Ake, Cantwell as rotation options. None from the West Ham brigade excite me.
Agreed, but Aarons still has time, he's only 20. Grealish will be 25 at the start of next season, it's an ideal time to take that next step imo especially if Villa go down. If he stays put once again and is stuck in the Championship for (at least) another year, it might be a midtable team rather than a top tier team for him if it ever happens.

Nickelodeon

I like Tyrone Mings. He's quick and physical. Could easily replace the trio of Smalling/Jones/Rojo.

Creatively, Ismaila Sarr seems a half decent option on the RW.

Not too convinced about Grealish if he's worth the money or if we need a player in his position.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Which would not be the case for Grealish as what he has stated on numerous occasions is that he loves his current club and for us to suggest that he would want to jump ship is just us hoping he thinks that way which he has shown absolutely no evidence of thus far.
What Grealish has stated is he thought the game against Hull two seasons ago would be his last at Villa and he waved the crowd goodbye at the end. He’s openly talked about being in contact and agreeing a deal with Spurs. That isn’t us just hoping. Loving Villa doesn’t mean he wants to spend his entire career going up and down to the championship.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What's the consensus on Jamal Lewis? I've liked the look of him every time I've seen him. Any more regular Norwich watchers have any opinions on him?

What I am seeing from that list is a way to increase our squad depth and I'm all for that, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing us pick up Ake and Grealish.

Fosu-Mens

Ake: Decent on the ball, mobility to make up for some of Maguire's lack of pace and already used to play with a slow partner, decent in the air. Left footed. Even though Bournemouth's defence is relatively incompetent, this does not mean that Ake is bad defender. Would be an upgrade on Lindelof and a more suitable partner to Maguire.
I can see why people like Mings, and dependent on price would be a good option. Can hold his own in 1v1 and in physical duels.

Grealish: Cost and Sancho. Creator and can play or operate in multiple positions.

Buendia, Cantwell and McGinn would be squad options and dependent on cost.

No Love

What's the consensus on Jamal Lewis? I've liked the look of him every time I've seen him. Any more regular Norwich watchers have any opinions on him?

What I am seeing from that list is a way to increase our squad depth and I'm all for that, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing us pick up Ake and Grealish.
Good player. Like him a lot. Should be all over signing him. We won’t though. We’ll stick with Shaw/Williams. For me, Lewis is a round peg for a round hole. A modern-style fullback who could make the left back slot his own and has the time to improve further. Would be pleased if we were linked with him.

Should also be keeping tabs on Buendia, Aarons, Cantwell, Godfrey, Ake, Brooks, Grealish & McGinn. Obviously there are fitness questions regarding Brooks and McGinn; however, they could be worth pursuing. Not sure I’d want any of West Ham’s players, should they go down. Rice perhaps, should we continue with Pogba/Bruno in the midfield.

Would stay well clear of Mings as I think he’s very overrated and has a tendency to step on the heads of downed opposition players.

van Persie

Grealish and maybe Aarons at most from those players. We don't really need squad depth. Should be adding one or two sheer quality players that can push our current squad if anything rather than add a bunch of "bench" and "rotation "players" to build a oversized squad while we're nowhere near the level we want to be at yet. That added with tons of yabbering about not getting to play enough. We have plenty of players and especially youth that can fill those roles.

Unless there is a massive clear out. No thanks.

Web of Bissaka

Are you guys serious with Mings?
Would stay well clear of Mings as I think he’s very overrated and has a tendency to step on the heads of downed opposition players.
This.

I suppose if you only look at talents, then yes, he's good and performing well this season. We should do better.
No way Ole will ignore that.

Web of Bissaka

Ahh, memories of 27th April 2019, the last time he played a full game. I’d rather we didn’t sign players who are returning from long term injuries based on half a decent season a while ago.
Understandably, we have the same fitness concern about him. Still, if it's going to be cheap, I don't mind we're taking the risk especially since we need to continue freshen up the whole squad if Ole is really serious (which I'm confident he is). Good age, talented, good manners, nationality may indicates long-term, attacking midfielder, etc.

I just hope we don't give him ridiculous long and expensive contract. Tougher to get rid that way, if we're getting rid.

Zlatattack

I think Fraser, Aarons and Grealish would improve our squad. They're closer to the quality of our first team players than our current second 11.

Fraser should be a no-brainer as he's available on a free, but the other two should not be signed if it means diverting money away from a first team RW and CDM.

I don't think any of the players mentioned are good enough to fill those roles for us. They might be better than our current options, but that's a low bar to cross.

Mindhunter

Love is not everything though. People will consider when offered better salary and growth prospects. He can continue loving Aston Villa while playing for Manchester United.

It would be foolish to not go for him thinking he is going to reject us either way due to his love for his boyhood club. He is a pro at the end of the day and wants to maximize the chances for his success.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Felipe Anderson's gash. It seems even West Ham fans have had enough of him whenever I see him talked about on Twitter or wherever.

1 good game in every 10, if that. Lazy. Lightweight. He should be nowhere near any top 6 club.

Brightonian

Ake and Grealish are the only two I'd consider really out of those. I haven't seen much of David Brooks so abstain from judgement on him.

Ake in as a Rojo/Jones/both replacement. Grealish as a Lingard/Sanchez replacement. Both would be strong acquisitions, without necessarily breaking into the first XI.

Kag

Grealish and Ake are the only ones that would interest me. As @Brightonian says, Grealish offers a significant upgrade on Lingard and/or Pereira and Ake would provide nice depth in central defence - albeit I think we need to be buying better than what we already have at centre half when the right player is available.

I like the look of Lewis at Norwich, actually. We need a more attacking alternative to Shaw (I think Williams is a right back long term) and he looks exciting in the final third. I don’t watch them anywhere near enough to have an informed view, though.

Fosu-Mens

Ake and Grealish are the only two I'd consider really out of those. I haven't seen much of David Brooks so abstain from judgement on him.

Ake in as a Rojo/Jones/both replacement. Grealish as a Lingard/Sanchez replacement. Both would be strong acquisitions, without necessarily breaking into the first XI.
Ake would instantly replace Lindelof. His abilities suit Maguire well.

Grealish has operated all over the pitch for Villa. If we do not sign an RW, then he could come in and do a job.

Gopher Brown

I’ve never seen Ake play without making a load of mistakes each match. I don’t think he’s good enough for us.

P0GBA

I would add Pukki and Yarmolenko to the list.