Television Silicon Valley | Season 6 spoilers

baskinginthesun

I suppose that's the comedic formula that worked for them from the start. So they're understandably wary of deviating from it. But it gets stale. It would be a wasted opportunity if the show went through all its seasons without their company turning into a giant horrible corporation that perverts all its values. There's humor to be found there, I think.
Yep. Very much agreed. To be fair though, the company is growing but, it's not really the focal point of the show. So it goes unnoticed in a way. But, the awkwardness and "dickish" attitude of Richard does get annoying time after time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Gavin Belsons signature does make me laugh every time.

SqueakyWeasel

Gavin Belsons signature does make me laugh every time.
That was my main take from S05E05 too … along with "Guy definitely fecks that robot … right?"

I chuckled a few times but not sure whether I'm viewing it through rose tinted glasses or being too harsh. Think that I might simply pick a random past episode to rewatch to bring some balance and report back.

SqueakyWeasel

Think that I might simply pick a random past episode to rewatch to bring some balance and report back.
Watched S03E08 at random – perhaps subconsciously it turned out to be one of my favourites "…there is 100% chance that no-one will ever take me seriously again – my dignity is in your hands (while sat astride a plush unicorn, rearing) do with it what you will!"

Not too much different between then and now I must admit, except some of the more aggressive foils seem to have been removed from the narrative (as I pointed out with my Morcombe and Wise & 2 Ronnies analogy a few weeks ago) and some of the more non-PC gags seem to have died along with them.

The obvious one is Erlich (who undoubtedly had some of the best lines in the episode I watched but also generated some of the funniest moments by others). However it also highlighted how much Gilfoyle and Dinesh have toned down their sparring (mostly non-PC); how the ever elusive funding side of things generated tension and gags (missing now); how Jared has stopped alluding to a tortured and abused past that was definitely non-PC; and even how Gavin Belson has stopped much of his his crazy behaviour (this one saw the tortoise and the hare in the boardroom) to become a bit lame.

There has been nothing like the throw-away unicorn gags or Pesce-Pescetarian in the whole first half of series 5 to match the one episode I just watched from series 3. I guess I'm not imagining it … one of the best shows of TV has bombed – and by the look of it, has done so just so it does not upset anyone.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Someone posted this on reddit. They definitely made one of the guys in this into a character on their latest episode. :lol:
:lol: Seeing as they used an actual robot, the guy was probably in on this

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Does seem a bit less funny this season but still very watchable. Bored of Jian Yang and I'm glad TJ Miller isn't in it anymore because from what I've seen of him outside of the show he seems like a huge tosser.

Bit of a weird ending to that ep though, I was expecting after Richard's speech uncovering what really happened it would turn out it was something much simpler and continue the trope of when things are going well it's actually bad and vice versa. They really do need to switch that up soon.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Does seem a bit less funny this season but still very watchable. Bored of Jian Yang and I'm glad TJ Miller isn't in it anymore because from what I've seen of him outside of the show he seems like a huge tosser.

Bit of a weird ending to that ep though, I was expecting after Richard's speech uncovering what really happened it would turn out it was something much simpler and continue the trope of when things are going well it's actually bad and vice versa. They really do need to switch that up soon.
Yeah, same, seems this season they're going for really quick one episode arcs that are resolved really quickly. Problem is ... they have no real effect on the company at all, like they used to. Which is good in a way cause I do want it to become "big" and successful and stop fecking them over all the time, to breathe some new life in the show, but it also means there isn't much to get invested in either.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
His comments after leaving Silicon Valley and the whole bomb threat thing.
To the former, I've read a few interviews post Silicon Valley and they're all pretty funny. I'm a huge fan of his stand up and the theme seems the same. To me he just seems to be a lazy but hugely funny person.

Only just read about the latter. Seems beyond stupid.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I was half hoping that Jared would pick up her face from the trash and wear it/sneak it out with him.

SqueakyWeasel

Gavin's chat with the mayor was a blinder too that was so understated it nearly slipped past the radar. Some great throw-away gags but the mayor has to win with "… I could have the local High School renamed after you. Rosa Parks has never even been to Goldbriar" :lol:

Donut

It has really picked up with the last two episodes. The story is finally progressing, and I'm actually laughing again.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
FFS me neither, why the lower episode count?
yeah, not sure, HBO usually only do that for a final season, maybe they were unsure about the show after Miller left so lowered the count? At least it's been renewed.

Disappointing as I've felt the season only really got going in the last 2-3 episodes.

it does set up season six well though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the final season. Nowhere to really go once they're a massive company.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
yeah, not sure, HBO usually only do that for a final season, maybe they were unsure about the show after Miller left so lowered the count? At least it's been renewed.

Disappointing as I've felt the season only really got going in the last 2-3 episodes.

it does set up season six well though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the final season. Nowhere to really go once they're a massive company.
Yeah, think next season would be the last.

With Belson out of Hooli and Amazon acquiring them, think Belson would eventually join Pied Piper and their main competitors would be Laurie's company, but that wouldn't be as engaging I feel.