Sin bins in Football.

Offsideagain

I hate the ‘professional foul’ the taking one for the team foul. All teams do it, some more than others and we know who they are. The sort of thing like Rash makes a break and gets blocked in mid-stride. Player gets booked, smiles and the danger is stopped. In Rugby, they would get ten minutes off the pitch in a sin bin. That should act as a deterrent except for the hoofers and kickers. No need for VAR as even Mike Dean can spot that offence. What do think?

0le

I think a sin bin could work in football, but there is too much wrong with the current VAR regarding offsides and penalties to start introducing new concepts at present.

Uniquim

I don't think it would work. Card system works great, most of the time.

A red card can have a massive impact on a game, so to play with 10-men potentially several times in a game is not a good idea, even if it was for a shorter amount of time than 10 minutes. It's also a type of decision referees could get wrong.

Just look at how we conceded v Southampton after losing Williams to injury, and leaving Southampton players unmarked at the left side of the goalpost.

Bobade

I wouldn't like to see this. I think it would lead to more controversy as referees get the decision wrong. Also, I can't see it being good for the quality of a game.

What you'd often see is a player getting sent to the bin, then their team parking the bus for ten minutes.

I think it is a good idea. The professional foul to stop counters has become far too commonplace. Pep started it as actual tactic but now everybody is at it, including us. Ruins the flow of the game and having to play for 5 or 10 minutes with 10 men would soon stop it.

The Siege

You can't keep changing rules every time someone tactically innovates. What is this, F1?

Lentwood

I have said for a while I would like to see a sin bin for any foul deemed to be 'professional' i.e. in order to prevent an attack or a goal-scoring opportunity.

A yellow card is barely an effective punishment if you can potentially save your team a goal

You can't keep changing rules every time someone tactically innovates. What is this, F1?
Yes you can. Where do you think the backpass rule came from?

And I'm not sure coordinated cheating really counts as tactical innovation.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You get a yellow card for it already. Do it again and you’re off for the match not just ten minutes so there’s already a deterrent.

I hate this continuous clamour to copy other sports rules and introduce them into football to make it ‘better’

red4ever 79

terrible idea. the water breaks are a terrible idea, the 5 subs are a terrible idea. Where the feck is the game going. Players should just refuse to come off for a waterbreak, im sure they want to keep the game moving. Football turning into Ice hockey

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I dont think this is needed, just educate refs to give yellow cards for the fouls.

georgipep

terrible idea. the water breaks are a terrible idea, the 5 subs are a terrible idea. Where the feck is the game going. Players should just refuse to come off for a waterbreak, im sure they want to keep the game moving. Football turning into Ice hockey
Everything evolves. Things change, sports change too. People didn't like the offside rule, neither when subs were introduced. Health and fitness of players is way more important than what any of us think about "where football is going".

My main issue with sin bins is that it will add a tactical fouling aspect to the game that already kind of exists. I'd much rather have the yellow card acting as the sin bin, meaning the player gets a card and needs to leave the field for x minutes leaving his team a man down and also at risk of getting sent off for a second yellow.

red4ever 79

Everything evolves. Things change, sports change too. People didn't like the offside rule, neither when subs were introduced. Health and fitness of players is way more important than what any of us think about "where football is going".

My main issue with sin bins is that it will add a tactical fouling aspect to the game that already kind of exists. I'd much rather have the yellow card acting as the sin bin, meaning the player gets a card and needs to leave the field for x minutes leaving his team a man down and also at risk of getting sent off for a second yellow.
Im sure you were around to know how people felt when subs were introduced. Once you start interferring with the flow of the game it's downhill fromn there. Look at VAR, fecking destroyed football

georgipep

Im sure you were around to know how people felt when subs were introduced. Once you start interferring with the flow of the game it's downhill fromn there. Look at VAR, fecking destroyed football
What a lazy response... No, I wasn't around but even if you care to read on the offside rule official Wikipedia page, there's plenty of food for thought.

As for VAR, I'm sure you'd like to have more wrong calls than we're seeing now. Especially when it comes to offsides and handball, VAR has improved quality of refereeing decisions massively. Most of the times VAR interferes, it's the right call, objectively. When there is a subjective matter is where it is messy. Hopefully the rules will adapt and make it better. There are already several proposals that FIFA are evaluating (you could also read more about that if you wanted and were able to use Google) and there is no doubt in my mind they will sort it out with time and experience.

The clubs and nations will demand it because of the high stakes involved. Sponsors and broadcasters will demand it for the reputation involved.

It's only backward people who don't like where they and their lives are heading, that try and cling to the past, who have a problem with that. History is a timeline of change. Always has been and always will be.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
So much wrong with football laws presently, especially var. All needs to be fixed before any extra huge changes like sin bins. Would need a lot of testing to make sure worked ok.

With hindsight, VAR should have had way more testing, training and possibly needed totally separate structure from current refereeing organisations. It's not been used properly in the premier league or recently in La Liga. Totally ruined the season.

Red00012

They’d make a balls out of it just like they do with VAR so no thanks

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I agree with you

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What a lazy response... No, I wasn't around but even if you care to read on the offside rule official Wikipedia page, there's plenty of food for thought.

As for VAR, I'm sure you'd like to have more wrong calls than we're seeing now. Especially when it comes to offsides and handball, VAR has improved quality of refereeing decisions massively. Most of the times VAR interferes, it's the right call, objectively. When there is a subjective matter is where it is messy. Hopefully the rules will adapt and make it better. There are already several proposals that FIFA are evaluating (you could also read more about that if you wanted and were able to use Google) and there is no doubt in my mind they will sort it out with time and experience.

The clubs and nations will demand it because of the high stakes involved. Sponsors and broadcasters will demand it for the reputation involved.

It's only backward people who don't like where they and their lives are heading, that try and cling to the past, who have a problem with that. History is a timeline of change. Always has been and always will be.
Yay, let’s change more rules to accommodate VAR

Schneiderman

God no, they've slowed the game down enough as it is. Just dish out more yellows for the professional fouls. Weren't they introduced at grassroots though for dissent? Anybody been playing with them?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It could work in theory, but I'd be quite concerned about the amount of wrongly called sin bins, given the frequency of wrong decisions anyway. Getting sent off for 10 minutes when a player dived would be a kick in the teeth.

Bookings are handed out all the time for soft fouls, dives and non-incidents, players go over as soon as they feel a hand on their back and a player just has to take it on the chin. It's easier to accept a illegitimate booking than having to go down to 10 men.

Offsideagain

Hmmmm, lots of good points here. First off, these fouls or ‘Tactical innovations’ are so clear as stated that Mike Dean could see them, so the incidence of getting it wrong are small. The prospect of ten men should diminish the incidence of these fouls making the game flow better and create more scoring opportunities unless one side is winning 3-0 with five minutes to go. Works well in both Rugby codes although it has been used instead of red cards now and again. I’m sure the genius Guardiola would find a way around it.

Nick7

Nah. A booking is fine for tactical fouls. The problem is when refs don’t give yellows for them or are reluctant to give a second yellow for one. Should be a blanket booking no matter what.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I hate the ‘professional foul’ the taking one for the team foul. All teams do it, some more than others and we know who they are. The sort of thing like Rash makes a break and gets blocked in mid-stride. Player gets booked, smiles and the danger is stopped. In Rugby, they would get ten minutes off the pitch in a sin bin. That should act as a deterrent except for the hoofers and kickers. No need for VAR as even Mike Dean can spot that offence. What do think?
Yeah for something as subjective as offensive fouls (severity, on purpose etc) that's a can of worms that'd be impossible to get a solid handle on.

But moretheso it'd change the sport forever, for the worse. More stoppage and more defensive football while the player is out of the box. I get the idea but in practicality it would just be awful.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jog on.