Singapore approves the sale of "cultured meat".

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Sounds good to me. If it tastes half decent and is easily accessible I'll choose this stuff over real meat no problem.

Smores

They were on a Kevin McCloud C4 program last year, think Jon Richardson who is a veggie tried them and said they were identical.

It's mainly cost to produce that's the issue as they were expensive even last year.

I eat more and more meat substitutes so something that tasted identical would be great.

decorativeed

I've not eaten meat in 25 years. I don't think this will change that, as I don't have an apetite for meat. The thought of eating it turns my stomach, regardless of whether it's from a wild animal, a farmed one or grown in a lab. I'd imagine a lot of people would feel the same.

If this stuff can prevent the massive environmental problems traditional meat production entails, then that would be huge.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've not eaten meat in 25 years. I don't think this will change that, as I don't have an apetite for meat. The thought of eating it turns my stomach, regardless of whether it's from a wild animal, a farmed one or grown in a lab. I'd imagine a lot of people would feel the same.

If this stuff can prevent the massive environmental problems traditional meat production entails, then that would be huge.
Yeah it seems the main benefit to all of this is the reduction of factory farming and the overall environmental benefit that many vegans cite (even though this isn't technically vegan).

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah it seems the main benefit to all of this is the reduction of factory farming and the overall environmental benefit that many vegans cite (even though this isn't technically vegan).
I've not read the thread..this 'cultured meat' going to lower my cholesterol?

Lj82

The meat in Singapore taste quite bad anyway. Probably no one will be able to tell the difference.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I tried a Wall's vegan sausage roll a few months ago and have recently been looking at Beyond Burgers which look great, I'm all for alternatives/substitutes.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why is this a big issue?

So it's just one of those gimmicky novelty food stuff? Yes

Is it health safe? Yes

Ok. Here's your permit.

Just like any other food product. They're not doing it out of supporting vegan or anything. Chicken rice is still their national food.

tombombadil

Yeah, my biggest hope if this works out would be the eventual death of factory farming. With a majority of meats coming from the lab and a niche of premium live animal meats that focus on quality and ESG metrics. Free range and all that jazz. So no more inhumane treatment of animals.

The meat in Singapore taste quite bad anyway. Probably no one will be able to tell the difference.
Haha yeah. Very true. They don't have a good supply of fresh meat (a lot are chilled or frozen) so the smell on a lot of the meats there is quite bad.

Why is this a big issue?

Is it health safe? Yes

Ok. Here's your permit.

Just like any other food product. They're not doing it out of supporting vegan or anything. Chicken rice is still their national food.
Singapore is a small island with no land for agriculture. A large majority of their food source is imported. So you can imagine securing their food supply is a primary concern for them. This pandemic actually put a spotlight on that as well.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah, my biggest hope if this works out would be the eventual death of factory farming. With a majority of meats coming from the lab and a niche of premium live animal meats that focus on quality and ESG metrics. Free range and all that jazz. So no more inhumane treatment of animals.

Haha yeah. Very true. They don't have a good supply of fresh meat (a lot are chilled or frozen) so the smell on a lot of the meats there is quite bad.

Singapore is a small island with no land for agriculture. A large majority of their food source is imported. So you can imagine securing their food supply is a primary concern for them. This pandemic actually put a spotlight on that as well.
That's a different matter.

Singapore has no land to produce their food supplies, so either way it's all imported.

Just saying that this probably has nothing to do with go vegan or anything, it's just another day another product being imported. Singapore isnt' very particular about what their citizen eat. I'd hazard a guess this "cultured meat" would be a novelty item for the vegans and will be sold at a very premium price, probably higher than the actual meat.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Why is this a big issue?

Is it health safe? Yes

Ok. Here's your permit.

You are like the argument uncle in every party who takes a contrararian stand and does it very annoyingly

tombombadil

That's a different matter.

Singapore has no land to produce their food supplies, so either way it's all imported.

Just saying that this probably has nothing to do with go vegan or anything, it's just another day another product being imported. Singapore isnt' very particular about what their citizen eat. I'd hazard a guess this "cultured meat" would be a novelty item for the vegans and will be sold at a very premium price, probably higher than the actual meat.
Actually that is the whole point. Singapore has very little land for agriculture. Being able to produce more food in less land, and lab meat is perfect for this, will go a long way for them to be able to produce some of their food supply locally without sacrificing too much land. And it is the gov's stated goal to produce, I think, 30% of their food locally. All this is about food security. They don't want to be cut off from food supply too easily.

I do agree, the Singapore gov doesn't really care what their people eat. It's more related to food security mentioned above.

I also agree, initially, it will be expensive. But as the market grows and we gain more economies of scale and more technological proficiency, I'm sure the prices will come down. Hopefully enough to be mass market and replace factory farming. But that is probably decades away from now.

LARulz

I think the only way this will take off on a massive scale (to the point you really reduce the impact) is if it's quick, easy and relatively cheap to produce. I can't imagine many chain restaurants opting for this if it costs a lot more than the stuff they get now

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is the future if you ask me. Just make all our livestock farmers get a bio engineering degree and they can all convert to lab grown stuff.

arnie_ni

Isn't whe whole environment damage caused by farming overblown?

decorativeed

Isn't whe whole environment damage caused by farming overblown?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53438680

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-54652094

From this article:

...the production, processing and distribution of meat requires huge outlays of pesticides, fertilizer, fuel, feed and water while releasing greenhouse gases, manure and a range of toxic chemicals into our air and water. A lifecycle analysis conducted by EWG that took into account the production and distribution of 20 common agricultural products found that red meat such as beef and lamb is responsible for 10 to 40 times as many greenhouse gas emissions as common vegetables and grains.

decorativeed

Didn't mean compared to veg, obviously its worse. I meant more so in the scheme of everything, isn't it minimal compared to other things?

Will read articles at lunch, thanks
What other industry produces billions of tonnes of animal effluent on top of the methane emissions and deforestation etc? Not to mention the devastating contagions that keep cropping up due to our relationship with 'livestock'?

tombombadil

I think the only way this will take off on a massive scale (to the point you really reduce the impact) is if it's quick, easy and relatively cheap to produce. I can't imagine many chain restaurants opting for this if it costs a lot more than the stuff they get now
Yeah. I imagine this process will take decades, but I'm sure we'll get there eventually. Barring any unforseen circumstances.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Who cares we want lab squirrel

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Is it actually meat though? I’ve read it’s embryo cells mixed with vegetable extracts.

are they creating hybrid chickens with potato heads?