Singapore approves the sale of "cultured meat".

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Does anyone find it strange that this "meat" is appearing while people are supposedly dying from a "virus" which is just a cold.

When will you sheeple wake up?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Is it actually meat though? I’ve read it’s embryo cells mixed with vegetable extracts.

are they creating hybrid chickens with potato heads?
No, the cells grow and multiply in the reactor - you are eating (mainly) animal cells. I don't know what this particular one has, but and the vegetables are either for flavour/texture or as nutrients for the cells to grow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No, the cells grow and multiply in the reactor - you are eating (mainly) animal cells. I don't know what this particular one has, but and the vegetables are either for flavour/texture or as nutrients for the cells to grow.
This is very interesting. I wonder if it tastes identical to standard store bought animal products ?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
some of the questions are addressed here:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/dec/04/no-kill-lab-grown-chicken-burger-restaurant-israel

Halevy, who also holds the role of head of product at SuperMeat, explains that muscle cells naturally contract when they are grown, making the fibres that result in the flakes of the burger that you would expect. While Halevy says he could make a recreation of a chicken breast – with longer fibres and a dryer, denser bite – one was not offered, and others in the industry have said a fillet is much harder to create outside the bird. For now, like others in the nascent industry, the start-up is focused on minced chicken. It is aiming to sell to meat companies that often reprocess chicken anyway, for example, into patties and nuggets.

Unlike reared poultry, this meat is made bespoke. It can be significantly altered in the process, depending on how it is encouraged to grow (in any shape) and what it is used in the “feed” – the water, sugar, amino acid, protein and vitamin bath the meat grows in. This can lead to surprising possibilities. “We can have something that is between a breast and a thigh,” says Halevy.

Similar to other patties, such as the McChicken, the burger is not just meat but heavily supplemented with other ingredients to add texture and flavour. Roughly 50% is plant-based proteins, with added seasonings.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
For taste issues most vegan has their vegan meat taste like equivalent. Not exactly meat but made from vegies etc.

My own personal worry is that this cultured meat only address the not having chicken killed issue. How healthy is the ingredients? With all the artificial additive and chemical substance involved I'd prefer eating actual chicken if it cost slightly more. Some people actually paid more for bio free chicken without hormone for health issue. It's along way to go for them to start eating lab chicken

From religion perspective it should be a great news.

From economical perspective it remains to be seen. If hypothetically we replace all chicken with lab chicken it'll create a scarcity in materials and we're back to square one. Making novelty premium products is one thing, replacing the whole world consumption is another. Let's pretend the meat would be made from barley and wheat, you'll have more demand for barley the world cant source.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
How healthy is the ingredients? With all the artificial additive and chemical substance involved I'd prefer eating actual chicken if it cost slightly more. Some people actually paid more for bio free chicken without hormone for health issue. It's along way to go for them to start eating lab chicken
It is literally made of chicken cells, the same cells people usually eat, just grown differently. Also there is no need for artificial additives unlike with actual animal agriculture, since the cells are given a broth of nutrients (things we can eat also, like proteins and fats and sugars) to grow.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It’d be pretty cool if they use this process to create human meat. I’m desperate to find out what it’s like and if these bozos don’t hurry up and do it there’ll be blood on their hands .

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
For taste issues most vegan has their vegan meat taste like equivalent. Not exactly meat but made from vegies etc.

My own personal worry is that this cultured meat only address the not having chicken killed issue. How healthy is the ingredients? With all the artificial additive and chemical substance involved I'd prefer eating actual chicken if it cost slightly more. Some people actually paid more for bio free chicken without hormone for health issue. It's along way to go for them to start eating lab chicken

From religion perspective it should be a great news.

From economical perspective it remains to be seen. If hypothetically we replace all chicken with lab chicken it'll create a scarcity in materials and we're back to square one. Making novelty premium products is one thing, replacing the whole world consumption is another. Let's pretend the meat would be made from barley and wheat, you'll have more demand for barley the world cant source.
Sounds like you're just inventing reasons for it not to work because you like things the way they are, and while sure there's some problems, "better the devil you know". But we already know we can't live with that particular devil, we cannot eat this much farmed food. We need fewer cows and chickens, fewer people or we'll end up creating much worse problems for literally every living species than people feeling uncomfortable about the "chemicals".

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sounds like you're just inventing reasons for it not to work because you like things the way they are, and while sure there's some problems, "better the devil you know". But we already know we can't live with that particular devil, we cannot eat this much farmed food. We need fewer cows and chickens, fewer people or we'll end up creating much worse problems for literally every living species than people feeling uncomfortable about the "chemicals".
Inventing problems?

This is the first of its kind. It's normal for people to have reservations dont you think? And it's not like it's a success at this stage, far too many things needs to be seen how it'll go.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Inventing problems?

This is the first of its kind. It's normal for people to have reservations dont you think? And it's not like it's a success at this stage, far too many things needs to be seen how it'll go.
Having reservations and inventing reasons might have some overlap but they're different things. You've decided because they were made in a lab they must have chemicals which therefore make it unnatural which therefore make it a worse alternative than what we currently have, even if they can produce it for less. The reality is that the chicken you eat has "chemicals" in it and the way it is farmed is unnatural and you have just been conditioned to want food generated through that pipeline rather than there being any inherent value to it. In fact there are demonstrable costs to it that we have been conditioned to ignore. Then you invent an entirely seperate hypothetical that professes an even worse problem than the current farming problems, based on no evidence.

Given those views follow directly on from comments like this, it suggests there's at least two ulterior motives driving those inventions, which fear beyond having reservations to creating reasons that people should not be happy about this.
Should I jump for joy? Way to go Singapore? Take that chicken vendor?
There's a middle ground between not jumping for joy and not maing baseless claims intended to reduce others' happiness about the announcement. You chose to take one extreme and criticise the other, despite the fact no-one in this thread was on the other, no-one was jumping for joy, no-one was saying it's great to see the death of chicken vendors.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Having reservations and inventing reasons might have some overlap but they're different things. You've decided because they were made in a lab they must have chemicals which therefore make it unnatural which therefore make it a worse alternative than what we currently have, even if they can produce it for less. The reality is that the chicken you eat has "chemicals" in it and the way it is farmed is unnatural and you have just been conditioned to want food generated through that pipeline rather than there being any inherent value to it. In fact there are demonstrable costs to it that we have been conditioned to ignore. Then you invent an entirely seperate hypothetical that professes an even worse problem than the current farming problems, based on no evidence.

Given those views follow directly on from comments like this, it suggests there's at least two ulterior motives driving those inventions, which fear beyond having reservations to creating reasons that people should not be happy about this.

There's a middle ground between not jumping for joy and not maing baseless claims intended to reduce others' happiness about the announcement. You chose to take one extreme and criticise the other, despite the fact no-one in this thread was on the other, no-one was jumping for joy, no-one was saying it's great to see the death of chicken vendors.
It's a choice. If you think that's good and you want to support it it's your choice.

And those are legitimate concern from actual market. I dont represent the whole world but i believe i do represent myself in having reservations and being skeptical.

If you think I'm against lab chicken then yes at this rate I'm skeptical and probably would buy one just for the sake of curiosity. But I'll probably wait a few more years down the line until to see if it can replace actual meat for me.

Church o Choccy

I believe I might hold the title of the world's most resentful vegetarian. I gave up meat two years ago for ecological reasons. Pre-covid at least, I flew A LOT for work so I figured I should try to cut my carbon footprint in other ways. It was either give up meat or begin a campaign of terror in which I systematically targetted the heads of the world's major extractive companies and their families in a series of elaborate assassinations. Bit of a coinflip but I'm a terrible marksman so I opted for vegetarianism. I've had a few lapses (when you're near the Iran-Afghanisatan border and someone goes out of their way to prepare and offer you a delicious lamb based meal that took four hours to cook it really would be the height of wankerdom to be like "Actually I don't eat meat") but generally I've stuck to it pretty well.

Friends, let me tell you this; vegetarianism is awful. It's not that there aren't decent options out there or that you can't have a varied, nutritious diet. It's that meat is better. I cook a meal, serve it up and just look at it in disappointment thinking about how much better it would taste if it was chicken. I go to a restaurant and watch my friends eat steak and it's all I can do not to hurl my beautifully plated but ultimately tasteless vegetable and cheese concoction at the wall in disgust, stamp my feet, and demand something dead to eat in a child-like tantrum.

Bring on the lab grown meat. Bring on the guilt free bacon sandwiches. Bring on the test tube T-bones. Give me all of it. Honestly, if the food safety authorities assessed it and were like "We can't approve this, it's definitely going to kill some people", I'd still be cool with the risk. Onwards, to a glorious culinary future!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I believe I might hold the title of the world's most resentful vegetarian. I gave up meat two years ago for ecological reasons. Pre-covid at least, I flew A LOT for work so I figured I should try to cut my carbon footprint in other ways. It was either give up meat or begin a campaign of terror in which I systematically targetted the heads of the world's major extractive companies and their families in a series of elaborate assassinations. Bit of a coinflip but I'm a terrible marksman so I opted for vegetarianism. I've had a few lapses (when you're near the Iran-Afghanisatan border and someone goes out of their way to prepare and offer you a delicious lamb based meal that took four hours to cook it really would be the height of wankerdom to be like "Actually I don't eat meat") but generally I've stuck to it pretty well.

Friends, let me tell you this; vegetarianism is awful. It's not that there aren't decent options out there or that you can't have a varied, nutritious diet. It's that meat is better. I cook a meal, serve it up and just look at it in disappointment thinking about how much better it would taste if it was chicken. I go to a restaurant and watch my friends eat steak and it's all I can do not to hurl my beautifully plated but ultimately tasteless vegetable and cheese concoction at the wall in disgust, stamp my feet, and demand something dead to eat in a child-like tantrum.

Bring on the lab grown meat. Bring on the guilt free bacon sandwiches. Bring on the test tube T-bones. Give me all of it. Honestly, if the food safety authorities assessed it and were like "We can't approve this, it's definitely going to kill some people", I'd still be cool with the risk. Onwards, to a glorious culinary future!
Yeah I never got the point of being vegetarian, especially if you're still eating high saturated fat stuff like cheese and butter. Either go all in on plant based by getting rid of all animal products, or remain fully carnivorous.

Classical Mechanic

I gave up eating red meat and chicken about a year ago and haven't missed it at all.

decorativeed

Sounds like you're probably just chosing the wrong places to go out to eat. Having not eaten meat for 25 years, I can say it's not awful, especially now where there are so many options that just were not there when I became veggie in 1995 - there definitely were more horrible cheese and veggie concoctions around then!

decorativeed

Yeah I never got the point of being vegetarian, especially if you're still eating high saturated fat stuff like cheese and butter. Either go all in on plant based by getting rid of all animal products, or remain fully carnivorous.
Well, that's probably because most people don't become veggie because of concerns about saturated fats.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I'm with you. Well, not all the way with you, since I'm not actually a vegetarian and I don't even know if I'm a terrible marksman (OK, maybe I'm pretty far off); but I also feel terribly guilty eating meat for ecological reasons, but really don't want to remove it from my diet. Lab-based meat for guilt-free eating: Bring. It. On.