Sir Alex, David Gill and Bryan Robson have been brought in to advise Richard Arnold on a wide range of club matters

jameyzane

Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid all do it.. We don't complain. United do it. We are going backwards.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Mixed feeling

Fergie is old. He should be left alone from this mamoth task. I have no doubt about his knowledge and his love for the club but he's what? 80?

You can't be involved half heartedly to the club you loved... He'll exert his thought and before long he'll be micromanaging alot of stuff.

And how does ETH feels when his vision doesnt align with SAF?

I'd pick SAF anytime of the day but he's not getting any younger and his way are effective when it's run by him and him alone. You cant expect ETH to buy his old fashion way of pride for the shirt and man management without being SAF.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I dont know folks. I think it could undermine ETH.
I can't see how this undermines ten Hag. They are there to advise Arnold on running the club in general. It's stated in one of the tweets that issues such as the redevelopment of OT/Carrington and fan relationships is what they will offering advice on. He should be happy that there's more football men upstairs.

Blood Mage

Nothing will change at this club until the Glazers feck off. They just keep hiring their cronies and mates instead of bringing competent employees in, every single time.

Real Name

Love how Fergie is portrayed like some kind of old Darth Vader here. Oh and if you over 80 you're an old fart who can't give any advice.

Rustyspider13

As long as it doesn't interfere with EtH's selection of players, this can be a good thing. Bayern operate with Salihamidzic and Kahn in their ranks, Ajax with VDS etc, so it's not a novel concept to have football people advising on higher tiers of management. At the very least Arnold understands that his expertise is financial and not football and is willing to listen.

Real Name

A better way to look at is he wants to run the club totally opposite to how Woodward did. He's surrounding himself with football people which indicates football will be prioritized again.
Redcafe: we should bring in more people.
Arnold asks an advice from football people.
Redcafe: Aaaa, past glories FC, Fergie will knock ETH down!!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would prefer if our attempts to run the club properly were a result of the people currently in positions of power at the club actually knowing how to do so themselves. As opposed to feeling the need to consult an 80-year old former manager and 65 year old former player, both of whom have been out of football for about a decade, on the basis that they used to be important figures at the club.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think clubs like City and Liverpool lean on nostalgia-expertise in this way? They seemed to figure out how to run their clubs via bringing in current-day professionals who were good at running clubs.

But whatever. As long as their advice is very limited then no harm I guess. Just keep them away from any decisions to do with the actual first team.

mu4c_20le

Last season showed if your too much of a football nerd, the universe will simply conjure up a giant headed chain smoking Italian and you will be denied the holy grail of European football.

ETH is our football weirdo, Fergie will bring some needed vibes.Very positive move imo.
Thought you were talking about Sarri

Acquire Me

Excellent news. This is a very smart move from Arnold. I think we are actually going places now.

OdinsEye

So basically Richard Arnold has no fecking idea what he is doing?
So he is surrounding himself with people who DO know what they're doing. Improvement over what Ed Woodward was doing for a decade by winging it. This is a step in the right direction. Who better to learn the role off.

Tarrou

Nothing will change at this club until the Glazers feck off. They just keep hiring their cronies and mates instead of bringing competent employees in, every single time.
loads of stuff has changed recently

I mean this very thread is about something that just changed

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just the 56 years of professional football experience like. Of all the people to criticise for being out of touch of the game you pick the bloke who won league titles in 4 different decades.
Yeah but he's EIGHTY which means he's obviously worthless and senile.

Real Name

I love Fergie but an 80 year old man has no business getting involved in this resctructuring up top.
Good, since he's not involved, just giving advice.

Oh and how old is Fergie now? Legendary manager and all but really, he's too old for anything meaningful, he should play chess in the park or whatever really old people do.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Excellent news. This is a very smart move from Arnold. I think we are actually going places now.
What are you talking about? Nobody can make good use of experience.

crossy1686

career ending
I love Fergie but an 80 year old man has no business getting involved in this resctructuring up top.
What do you think an 80 year old man is going to be doing? I would imagine not a lot unless he’s asked for an opinion on something.

It’s all fair and well adding someone to a ‘think tank’ but they have to want to be involved and would most likely be more involved if they weren’t enjoying their retirement

RVN1991

I thought we’d moved on from this.

This is the kinda nostalgic shit that is holding us back and preventing us from moving forward with the times.
I never understood this argument, I'd argue that our downfall came because we went away from a lot of things that made this club function brought about by SAF, when was the culture of the club so toxic during SAF's time? when was the transfer strategy so clueless and without any coherent plan during SAF's tenure? By all accounts it sounds like Woodward ran the show on his own and SAF has been nothing more than a glorified ambassador since he retired.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I thought we’d moved on from this.

This is the kinda nostalgic shit that is holding us back and preventing us from moving forward with the times.
Would be stupid to take advice from a group of people that made the club what it is up to 2013. Absolutely