Sir Alex, David Gill and Bryan Robson have been brought in to advise Richard Arnold on a wide range of club matters

Castia

Imagine saying that now. Ed was worse.
You’re saying that like it’s been a good summer? they chased a player for 3 months who had no intention of joining and if it wasn’t for the protests and massive media backlash we’d be sat here with Rabiot and Arnaoutovic.

They’re now negotiating a 100m transfer for Antony….you know the guy who was available for 70m a couple of months ago.

Time will tell who was better and Ed I thought was the lowest of the low but these guys have had a terrible start.

I’m loving my life

I think this is really very ill-advised.

Let's put it this way: You have a CEO (Arnold), with a subordinate responsible for the sporting success of the club (Murtough). You then choose to be advised by a "think-tank" of four, of whom 3 have illustrious reputations and lots of opinions but zero responsibility, and one who has no reputation but all the responsibility. Does this make it easier for the guy with all the responsibility to do his job well? Murtough can talk to them and Arnold can talk to them, But Arnold should not talk to them as a group that also includes Murtough.

Or, they could just hire someone who's capable of running the club well without being told how to do it by icons of the past.
fecking chimpanzees tea party. Murtough actually now looks like even more of an imbecile than he did already.

The proof of the pudding is the summer window and haphazard transfer strategy.

Watch us lose to Southampton and panic buya forward.

Idiotic approach to running a football club

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
It's bizarre. It's like they don't know anyone in football that hasn't played or worked for United. There must be hundreds of qualified football directors and we got a manager who retired ten years ago, a captain from the 80s and a former executive. Imagine if Liverpool brought in Daglish and Alan Hansen to help them handle Klopp's departure.
I'm curious to know if its a hobby for these 'old boys' or is it a paid role? I know SAF receives a substantial amount as Ambassador/Associate Director, but what about Bryan Robson, is he now topping up his pension thanks to this 'think tank'? I admire Sir Alex greatly to give good advice (although I think he cocked up on the Ronaldo return) but Bryan Robson!!!?Middlesborough - to the Thailand national team via Sheffield and Bradford and I don't recall any major successes.

Chumpsbechumps

I'm curious to know if its a hobby for these 'old boys' or is it a paid role? I know SAF receives a substantial amount as Ambassador/Associate Director, but what about Bryan Robson, is he now topping up his pension thanks to this 'think tank'? I admire Sir Alex greatly to give good advice (although I think he cocked up on the Ronaldo return) but Bryan Robson!!!?Middlesborough - to the Thailand national team via Sheffield and Bradford and I don't recall any major successes.
Ferguson deserves his ambassador role but it does feel like hush money from glazers so the great Scot doesn’t publicly support any anti glazer stuff.

As bad a start this has been at least Murtagh and Arnold have shown a willingness to try different things. Woodward kept ploughing along with 10 years of failed methods.

I’ve honestly little confidence in Arnold or Murtagh. This summer has been less then convincing. Club is throwing more money atthe problem , it’s like a child playing football manager who can just click on the money cheat code to compensate for them making a balls of their squad.

clarkydaz

i wouldnt pay too much attention to that stuff, its just familiar names to make the fans warm and fuzzy. Robson has been around for years on MUTV anyway
Remember Woodward wanted Rio to be our DOF when he was trying to be a pro boxer. Underlines how the club is run and how much they need to go, its just pure fan manipulation

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Ferguson deserves his ambassador role but it does feel like hush money from glazers so the great Scot doesn’t publicly support any anti glazer stuff.

As bad a start this has been at least Murtagh and Arnold have shown a willingness to try different things. Woodward kept ploughing along with 10 years of failed methods.

I’ve honestly little confidence in Arnold or Murtagh. This summer has been less then convincing. Club is throwing more money atthe problem , it’s like a child playing football manager who can just click on the money cheat code to compensate for them making a balls of their squad.
Does having the ex-great Manager in a role above the new Manager actually add extra pressure onto the current Manager and possibly the players too? They seemed very nervous today. I noticed the TV cameras were quick to zoom in on Sir Alex looking pretty fed up this afternoon - it happens everytime United have a bad day at the office and this must have an impact on ETH.

manclad1256

Does having the ex-great Manager in a role above the new Manager actually add extra pressure onto the current Manager and possibly the players too? They seemed very nervous today. I noticed the TV cameras were quick to zoom in on Sir Alex looking pretty fed up this afternoon - it happens everytime United have a bad day at the office and this must have an impact on ETH.
That’s probably more cos sky and english media hate sir alex ferguson so obviously they zoom in on him to gloat. Notice how they never zoom in on him when hes happy at old trafford and we are beating liverpool or arsenal…

Foxbatt

The days of managers running the club are long gone. I don't mind David Gill in some capacity advising Arnold. But SAF? He never dealt with the commercial side of things. And Robbo? For what?

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
The days of managers running the club are long gone. I don't mind David Gill in some capacity advising Arnold. But SAF? He never dealt with the commercial side of things. And Robbo? For what?
The point I was trying to make is that I think this thread title is misleading. "A wide range of club matters"... so people immediately think - commercial stuff and the club can say 'yes - it is that' if anyone whispers "back-seat driver(s)". But really it is going to be football matters - and I wonder how ETH feels about that.

What would Pep Guardiola have thunk if Roberto Mancini had been given some sort of role above him, when he started in the job?

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pub man needs to step down. All of Woodward's mates have to step down.

Vapor trail

It's just an example of more individuals with no experience in roles that have a massive impact on the clubs success. What I can't understand is if the Glazers have a background in banking how in the world can they employ such novices in the hierarchy. It's absolutely absurd in the corporate world. The Glazers have minimal football knowledge yet it seems they have nothing to offer in value from their own interpersonal business acumen.

stevoc

The point I was trying to make is that I think this thread title is misleading. "A wide range of club matters"... so people immediately think - commercial stuff and the club can say 'yes - it is that' if anyone whispers "back-seat driver(s)". But really it is going to be football matters - and I wonder how ETH feels about that.

What would Pep Guardiola have thunk if Roberto Mancini had been given some sort of role above him, when he started in the job?
Much like Ten Hag I doubt he would give a feck.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
SAF ways works for SAF, it's designed with his attitude, his vision, his views and his way of coaching.

Anyone else doing what he does would have adverse effect. Ask Ole.

A hair dryer treatment from Sir Alex the untouchable prodigy who broke the Old Firm monopoly and won us our first title in so many years would have different effect when it's done by Ole.

So unless SAF changes his approach, or ETH emulated the man himself, it's not gonna the works

Judas

Open to offers
We need to leave the people from the past behind. They can support the club, be in the stands, but honestly there's only so much of a 90s Liverpool vibe we should be accepting.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
We need to leave the people from the past behind. They can support the club, be in the stands, but honestly there's only so much of a 90s Liverpool vibe we should be accepting.
Definitely agree, football has moved on and the club shouldn't always be going back to fergie when things go south.

The club needs to have its own leadership and management which it has lacked since fergie has left.

That should be the priority rather than just turning to fergie when things go wrong everytime.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Does Bryan Robson receive a wage for his part in this 'think-tank' does anyone know and does he attend matches? What about under-21 games to spot talent coming through? The cameras often spot Sir Alex (especially when things are going pear shaped - I agree with @manclad1256 on this) but is Captain Marvel there too?

Trequarista10

Lose away at City, bump a thread about consultants to the board in non-footballing capacity. Makes sense.

Amir

Lose away at City, bump a thread about consultants to the board in non-footballing capacity. Makes sense.
I'm sure they are there to consult on non-footballing capacity.

At the same time, it's inevitable that they will also talk about football, and while it will be in an unofficial capacity, who knows that effect that will have.

Trequarista10

I'm sure they are there to consult on non-footballing capacity.

At the same time, it's inevitable that they will also talk about football, and while it will be in an unofficial capacity, who knows that effect that will have.
Virtually zero.

Trequarista10

Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't have to be intentional, but if you're Arnold or Murtough talking about football with the likes of Ferguson and Robson, things may get into your head even subconciously.
Nah.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry to be a pain, but can you point me in the direction of where you have seen or read that the Gill/Robson/Ferguson 'think-tank' consults only on non-footballing matters because a) I haven't read that and b) it would be a bit daft to restrict all that footballing expertise to the business aspects of Manchester United.

croadyman

Part of our demise these last 9 years is down to him not putting a proper succession plan in place, also has to take some blame for the leeches too.

Foxbatt

Sorry to be a pain, but can you point me in the direction of where you have seen or read that the Gill/Robson/Ferguson 'think-tank' consults only on non-footballing matters because a) I haven't read that and b) it would be a bit daft to restrict all that footballing expertise to the business aspects of Manchester United.
Absolutely spot on. It would be utterly idiotic to get SAF and Robbo to consult on the business aspect of Manchester United. I mean both of them have never been involved in the business side of any big business and not even at United. Gill ran the business side and SAF the football side.

kunal18

SAF is the only one who knows a thing or two about winning at this club in the past 30 years. So lets not throw stones at that unique experience.
As for competing with City, it is going to take a massive effort on all fronts , managerial, recruitment, club structure etc.
Right now we look miles off in every single department, but that can be said of almost all the other 19 teams in the league.

croadyman

SAF is the only one who knows a thing or two about winning at this club in the past 30 years. So lets not throw stones at that unique experience.
As for competing with City, it is going to take a massive effort on all fronts , managerial, recruitment, club structure etc.
Right now we look miles off in every single department, but that can be said of almost all the other 19 teams in the league.
Yeah a positive step is stop being a jobs for the boys club and get Mitchell/Campos as a proper DOF, structure won't noticeably improve until we can find a buyer though.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I can see what you mean with crap clubs like Bayen, Ajax, Barca etc with ex players so involved.
To be fair: Bayern a one-club league, same for Ajax - Barca a two club league. The PL is different (well it used to be). But I just think having 'legends' involved in anything other than 'meet and great' type roles leaves a bad taste in the mouth. We saw it at Liverpool over many years.

Keeping the legendary manager and Captain Marvel onboard is ok when things are going well (notice how this thread fell down the pages when United won 4 on the spin) but after the City game questions are being asked again.

If you keep looking backwards it is difficult to move forward and despite people saying that ETH won't be bothered about it, I bet deep down he is - he should be seen to be the ultimate boss and whilst SAF has a role at the club - beyond anything ceremonial - that will always be an issue.

wolvored

Agree. We did it with Busby and havent learned the lesson from then.
Fergie and his family should have been offered seats to the top 6 games a season and thats it. City Liverpool Arsenal Chelsea Spurs and a wildcard whoever was doing well that particular season. This would have broke the permanent attachment he has with the club, for the better imo. When he came out last season and said you should always pick your best players, put enormous pressure on Ole to repick Ronaldo and that shouldnt be on, regardless who is manager.

Amir

Yeah I can see what you mean with crap clubs like Bayen, Ajax, Barca etc with ex players so involved.
Having ex-players is brilliant, as long as you know who to appoint to what role.

I'm not sure who at United can judge those ex-players correctly and do that.

Gordon Godot

Having ex-players is brilliant, as long as you know who to appoint to what role.

I'm not sure who at United can judge those ex-players correctly and do that.
United have consistently turned to ex players and its failed. Its more than just selecting a 'legend' and letting them get on with it. Its identifying players with the right knowledge and mentality and ideally some relevant experience. Ferguson should not be involved at all and never should have been. Its Busby all over again. Bayern are absolutely ruthless on that front.

I’m loving my life

Absolutely sick of this. The media spin is tiresome, but the idiots running the club who are incapable of striking out on their own-what awful ambition they have! They have a chance to do great things themselves and make their own legacy. Yet they cling onto the past and install woefully inefficient fvckwits like Arnold and Murtough to dither around like imbeciles.

Revaulx

Part of our demise these last 9 years is down to him not putting a proper succession plan in place,
Not his job. Why should it be? David Gill was in charge of that, or should have been at any rate.

also has to take some blame for the leeches too.
A bit certainly, but there was no guarantee that the Irish set wouldn’t have got bored and sold up anyway.

Maybe he should have resigned and called out the Glazers for their initial unwillingness to spend, but that would probably have just resulted in Moyes getting appointed four years earlier and us losing out on three league titles.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe he should have resigned and called out the Glazers for their initial unwillingness to spend, but that would probably have just resulted in Moyes getting appointed four years earlier and us losing out on three league titles.
I understand if this is a difficult area for discussion, but it should be discussed.

Had he done what you suggest - yes less titles in the record books - however his legacy would have remained intact. But by staying on the payroll (and some have suggested it is basically 'hush money' to not call out the American owners) and getting involved in things like Ronaldo's return I am starting to sense some negativity towards him from some Man Utd. fans on here and that is a shame.

In addition, his face was like thunder when Sky found him during the derby game. That just adds extra pleasure for the City supporters (not that they needed it) who took great delight in dragging this up: "Ferguson: Can City be top dogs? 'Not in my lifetime'". See: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...y-be-top-dogs-not-in-my-lifetime-1789944.html

This in turn heaps extra pressure onto the current regime, which they can do without.

Amir

In addition, his face was like thunder when Sky found him during the derby game. That just adds extra pleasure for the City supporters (not that they needed it) who took great delight in dragging this up: "Ferguson: Can City be top dogs? 'Not in my lifetime'". See: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...y-be-top-dogs-not-in-my-lifetime-1789944.html

This in turn heaps extra pressure onto the current regime, which they can do without.
Not much he can do about that, other than stay away from games - which would be ludicrous.

Marwood

To be fair: Bayern a one-club league, same for Ajax - Barca a two club league. The PL is different (well it used to be). But I just think having 'legends' involved in anything other than 'meet and great' type roles leaves a bad taste in the mouth. We saw it at Liverpool over many years.

Keeping the legendary manager and Captain Marvel onboard is ok when things are going well (notice how this thread fell down the pages when United won 4 on the spin) but after the City game questions are being asked again.

If you keep looking backwards it is difficult to move forward and despite people saying that ETH won't be bothered about it, I bet deep down he is - he should be seen to be the ultimate boss and whilst SAF has a role at the club - beyond anything ceremonial - that will always be an issue.
But the question is are the clubs well run?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lot of tinfoil hat stuff in this thread.

Revaulx

I understand if this is a difficult area for discussion, but it should be discussed.

Had he done what you suggest - yes less titles in the record books - however his legacy would have remained intact. But by staying on the payroll (and some have suggested it is basically 'hush money' to not call out the American owners) and getting involved in things like Ronaldo's return I am starting to sense some negativity towards him from some Man Utd. fans on here and that is a shame.

I certainly don’t think he should have walked away when the Glazers started tightening the screws (presumably in 2009), unless they had made his job a complete misery. Some at least of the reluctance to spend came from him; that was certainly true of Hazard and the cut his agent demanded.

On his retirement though? Absolutely; he should have remembered what happened with Busby, even though his post-retirement involvement has been nothing like as much as Busby’s was for a few years, and walked away. Hanging around at the Glazers’ behest has done his reputation no good at all.

Now I’m actually pretty sceptical about the amount of “interference” he’s been doing. Ronaldo for example; it seems far more likely that his return was instigated by Woodward, who called on SAF to use his influence on both Ronnie and (just as important) Mendes to make it happen. The notion that he’s been sitting at home influencing stuff at Carrington via his minions (Ole, Phelan, Fletcher: take your pick) sounds highly fanciful to me. Nevertheless, his presence sadly gives rise to a load of conspiracy stuff which, as you point out, the club could do without.

Foxbatt

I certainly don’t think he should have walked away when the Glazers started tightening the screws (presumably in 2009), unless they had made his job a complete misery. Some at least of the reluctance to spend came from him; that was certainly true of Hazard and the cut his agent demanded.

On his retirement though? Absolutely; he should have remembered what happened with Busby, even though his post-retirement involvement has been nothing like as much as Busby’s was for a few years, and walked away. Hanging around at the Glazers’ behest has done his reputation no good at all.

Now I’m actually pretty sceptical about the amount of “interference” he’s been doing. Ronaldo for example; it seems far more likely that his return was instigated by Woodward, who called on SAF to use his influence on both Ronnie and (just as important) Mendes to make it happen. The notion that he’s been sitting at home influencing stuff at Carrington via his minions (Ole, Phelan, Fletcher: take your pick) sounds highly fanciful to me. Nevertheless, his presence sadly gives rise to a load of conspiracy stuff which, as you point out, the club could do without.
Saf watching matches should be accepted. Saf being on an advisory board now is not acceptable.