Sir Alex, David Gill and Bryan Robson have been brought in to advise Richard Arnold on a wide range of club matters

Amir

It shouldn't have anything to do with Fergie's age. It should be about him being out of the game for the past nine years. He clearly had strong views about football and his way of doing things, which is fine because it worked well for him, but probably less relevant for us now, or at least it should be. I'm not sure that would be the way to modernize things.

With regards to the role Arnold has, asking for advice and guidance from Gill makes sense. Fergie is very old now and has been out of the game for a while now, so I don't think he'd bring new ideas per se. Robson makes no sense. I have listened to him talk on MUTV during the preseason and I can't recall a single valuable or insightful thing he said.

crossy1686

career ending
You must be really lucky if everyone you know at that age is on top of their game.
My parents/grandparents/(great)uncles/aunts etc had some really educated people amongst them but the ones that made 80 were absolutely not capable of doing the jobs they were fantastic at when they were working and their employers would never in a million years ask for advice.
Now we know sport can be a bit different but cmon its not from another planet. SAF is not some super being who defies human aging. He is an elderly man with seriously health issues. That not ageist. That's a fact
Lets for one second imagine that the people who asked SAF to be part of this considered his health, mental state and ability to offer his opinion only, no manual labour, simply the occasional meeting that he doesn't even have to turn up for if he doesn't feel like it. Then let's also assume SAF himself pondered over whether or not he was up to it and could be arsed.

Then let's all stop talking shit about his age as if he's turned into a cabbage, yeah?

crossy1686

career ending
It shouldn't have anything to do with Fergie's age. It should be about him being out of the game for the past nine years. He clearly had strong views about football and his way of doing things, which is fine because it worked well for him, but probably less relevant for us now, or at least it should be. I'm not sure that would be the way to modernize things.
Why would we refer to SAF for his opinion on things that aren't relevant to him? Surely he's there with Murtough and Gill to offer his opinion on running the club at the senior management level, such as "would it be a good idea to break our wage structure and offer Martial a £250k a week contract?", "Do you think it's wise to retain players on big contracts to increase their value?" etc.

Not "So what do you think of this Ten Hag bloke? Too many square passes? Should we bin him?"

Cloud7

And I should ask IBM to build me a computer. Oh wait they are still in business right?
To be fair in this specific example they are now branded as Lenovo and their stuff is decent. I like my laptop :lol:

Loon

:lol:
All three of these guys are "back the manager" types, so that's great. Gill may indeed turn out to be the most valuable addition. Interesting that Woodward never bothered with them despite suggestions "Fergie did this..." and "Fergie said that..."

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I highly doubt it has much to do with the day to day matters of the first team. This will be more to do with big picture structural issues like fan engagement, women’s and youth teams and other such organizational stuff.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
So basically Richard Arnold has no fecking idea what he is doing?
Funny that you read it like that. Seeking advice from other experts is actually a sign that he knows exactly what he’s doing. Do you reckon Bill Gates or Elon Musk don’t consult with anyone? Maybe next time try consulting with someone before you post something stupid?

GoldanoGraham

This will be to try and improve the clubs image after the disaster stint under Woody. High level strategic think tanks are about sounding out ideas and getting opinions.

This will not be because Arnold is a novice but helps with his image and his ability to be seen as a football man rather than an accountant - it helps to look like there are real football people involved at the top of the club and not just bean counters.

It will be nothing to do with the football side of things. Nothing to do with ETH’s area and nothing to do with players etc.

Will certainly help with wooing potential new sponsors and deals if you can wheel out SAF as he’s a legend.

Gill is a super clever operator who always has a good opinion and sound judgement. Not so sure on Robbo.

All in think a shrewd and sensible move by Arnold.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You must be really lucky if everyone you know at that age is on top of their game.
My parents/grandparents/(great)uncles/aunts etc had some really educated people amongst them but the ones that made 80 were absolutely not capable of doing the jobs they were fantastic at when they were working and their employers would never in a million years ask for advice.
Now we know sport can be a bit different but cmon its not from another planet. SAF is not some super being who defies human aging. He is an elderly man with seriously health issues. That not ageist. That's a fact
If SAF wasn't physically and mentally capable of doing the job, he wouldn't be doing it.

Yes he had his health scare, but from any appearances we've seen from him afterwards, it hasn't appeared to have hampered him too much yet.

As an aside my 83 year old Uncle landed today visiting from South Africa. Man still works in his shop everyday and is coming for a break... He's still very sharp. It's may not be the norm, but it is possible to have something to offer at that age.

Loon

:lol:
This will be to try and improve the clubs image after the disaster stint under Woody. High level strategic think tanks are about sounding out ideas and getting opinions.

This will not be because Arnold is a novice but helps with his image and his ability to be seen as a football man rather than an accountant - it helps to look like there are real football people involved at the top of the club and not just bean counters.

It will be nothing to do with the football side of things. Nothing to do with ETH’s area and nothing to do with players etc.

Will certainly help with wooing potential new sponsors and deals if you can wheel out SAF as he’s a legend.

Gill is a super clever operator who always has a good opinion and sound judgement. Not so sure on Robbo.

All in think a shrewd and sensible move by Arnold.
Even if it's just to ask, "where did my predecessor go wrong, do you think?"

RC89

Tbh, I don't particularly rate Gill. He coincided with the greatest Prem manager ever so a lot of his - let's call them - 'failings' weren't as big a deal. But we regularly missed out on players (e.g. Sneijder, Benzema, Robben) in an era where we were one of the best teams in Europe (okay, maybe not at the time of Robben)

Azhar88

Really happy about this, and I don't get the disrespect Fergie gets from some people around here. Other than recommending Moyes, I'm 100% confident that Fergie had no influence whatsoever on the football side of the club since his retirement. Woody went with a completely different approach, and none of the managers that followed Fergie mentioned anything about him having any say about anything.

Getting some advise from Fergie and Gill should only help the club, in fact we really need to have more football people around the club at the moment.
So you are a fan of the Glazers then?

Furthermore, I have to respectfully correct you, SAF has been actively involved in decisions other than the Moyes one, from that time onwards & including quite recently: i) why was Mourinho rejected and David Moyes picked instead? Because Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex didn't think he had the right 'character' to be the Manchester United manager, although that seemed to be reconsidered a few years later when Jose was in decline (he still won our last trophy though). ii) SAF actively 'mentored' OGS to such an extent that the Norwegian wouldn't even park his car in the designated managers slot. Oh but then Sir Alex totally undermined his guy when iii) he persuaded Ronaldo to return to OT throwing OGS's project (such as it was) right out of the window...

So this news today.... well it explains that meeting on Tuesday and proves it wasn't just about Christiano, but really I'm gobsmacked that Sir Alex is having whatever power he still held formalised in this way. Only bad things will come of it, its a retrograde step and most egregiously Man United have been here once before with Sir Matt Busby. 'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.' (George Santayana)

It is so disappointing. A barren spell with no trophies is bad enough, financial struggles? well 99% of clubs would wish to be as rich as us, but to become a laughing stock in the eyes of our rival fans (some of whom I work with) is becoming very difficult to take and the Ronaldo circus and now this Robson/Fergie news is heading us very much in that direction.

Matt851

Legends fc. This doesn't appear to be how clubs become successful these days unfortunately

For all Arnold's desperation to highlight his differences from Woodward the club still has an aversion to outside ideas and expertise

Last edited:

alexthelion

Well for starters this transfer window has been a disgrace. The club have reacted with genuine surprise that Ronaldo wants to leave when they should've seen it coming and planned for it. Rangnick was brought in to carry out a long-term role in restructuring the club and was binned off for saying that we needed to spend big on new players.
Would that be the same Ronaldo who said he was looking forward to working with ETH, then a few weeks later decided pre-season wasn't for him and he wanted out?

mu4c_20le

Legends fc. This doesn't appear to be how clubs become successful these days unfortunately

For all Arnold's desperation to highlight his differences from Woodward the club still has an aversion to outside ideas and expertise
Bayern?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
most egregiously Man United have been here once before with Sir Matt Busby. 'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.' (George Santayana)
This would be the same Matt Busby who Sir Alex sought out for counsel and wasn't too proud or over prescribing to the idea of "being your own man" to his detriment?

Everyone has run from the advice that is on hand from these great managers, the minute we embrace the knowledge that is there and figure out how to make it useful in a modern context, that is an advantage to us. One we should be looking to use.

alexthelion

There was a definite belief( rightly or wrongly) that we were going to evolve and Rangnick was going to be instrumental behind the scenes in overseeing things like he did at Salzburg and Leipzig, at least at first( his role was never really well defined in reality).
By March it became obvious Rangnick was not wanted and it was only a matter of time before he was out the gap. Even after that we were peddled more lies when there was a statement saying he would be kept on before the whole Austria job came up and he eventually went.

The thought of Ferguson having more say at a board level as he gets older seems odd to me, you'd expect it to be the other way around (this doesn't mean I think all 80 years olds are senile). His decisions at board level post manager have all been spectacularly bad too. It is also well reported by tier 1 journos that he was more in the Pochettino as manager camp than Ten Hag, Pochettino is currently out of a job if Ten Hag has a bad start things could get hairy. Will Arnold listen if Fergie advises him to move for Pochettino?
Has he already convinced Ronaldo to stay? Who knows but personally I think Ten Hag is better off without Ronaldo and I do believe Fergie wishes for Ronaldo to stay and it has been reported he did speak with Ronaldo the other day.

I'm not sure what Robson adds. I don't want to come across harsh because he was a legend as a player and seems a great bloke but the fact Arnold called on him is baffling.

Also when I said "embarassing' I was clearly joking. Lighten up lad.
Is a meeting once a month that?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Past Glories FC. Move the feck on.

Fergie is an 80 year old man who has been out of the game for 10 years. What is he going to offer? Seriously.
His judgement went years ago when he brought in Moyes and before that ushered in the Glazers. Great manager and I'm glad he's getting out and about but hope he's not influencing any decisions.

Someone

Something
So you are a fan of the Glazers then?

Furthermore, I have to respectfully correct you, SAF has been actively involved in decisions other than the Moyes one, from that time onwards & including quite recently: i) why was Mourinho rejected and David Moyes picked instead? Because Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex didn't think he had the right 'character' to be the Manchester United manager, although that seemed to be reconsidered a few years later when Jose was in decline (he still won our last trophy though). ii) SAF actively 'mentored' OGS to such an extent that the Norwegian wouldn't even park his car in the designated managers slot. Oh but then Sir Alex totally undermined his guy when iii) he persuaded Ronaldo to return to OT throwing OGS's project (such as it was) right out of the window...

So this news today.... well it explains that meeting on Tuesday and proves it wasn't just about Christiano, but really I'm gobsmacked that Sir Alex is having whatever power he still held formalised in this way. Only bad things will come of it, its a retrograde step and most egregiously Man United have been here once before with Sir Matt Busby. 'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.' (George Santayana)

It is so disappointing. A barren spell with no trophies is bad enough, financial struggles? well 99% of clubs would wish to be as rich as us, but to become a laughing stock in the eyes of our rival fans (some of whom I work with) is becoming very difficult to take and the Ronaldo circus and now this Robson/Fergie news is heading us very much in that direction.
No, I'm not a fan of the Glazers. What did you want him to do? Resign? Fergie did an incredible job with the resources available to him. We wouldn't have benefited at all with him challenging the Glazers.

Other than picking Moyes, which in hindsight wasn't a great decision, Fergie hasn't been involved in any decision making around the club. His support for Ole was normal, and I'm sure if ETH picked up the phone and asked Fergie about anything he'd be more than happy to help. If Arnold wants to pick his brain on some issues there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Would that be the same Ronaldo who said he was looking forward to working with ETH, then a few weeks later decided pre-season wasn't for him and he wanted out?
He did say that in a media interview, but United will have a lot of additional context, won’t they? And there’s the technical aspect: Ronaldo is not the right fit for a Ten Hag team so they should have been proactively trying to get him out of the door IMO.

alexthelion

Why is it not surprising that the posters against this are some of the most negative on the site?

Azhar88

No, I'm not a fan of the Glazers. What did you want him to do? Resign? Fergie did an incredible job with the resources available to him. We wouldn't have benefited at all with him challenging the Glazers.

Other than picking Moyes, which in hindsight wasn't a great decision, Fergie hasn't been involved in any decision making around the club. His support for Ole was normal, and I'm sure if ETH picked up the phone and asked Fergie about anything he'd be more than happy to help. If Arnold wants to pick his brain on some issues there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Look we are never going to agree on this. Like so many Utd. fans you will never hear a bad word about Sir Alex Ferguson and I'm guessing you are an older supporter who enjoyed the glorious period, when he was the king. But what about the younger fans who are following the club now, a club that is becoming quite frankly a joke?

He didn't resign when the Americans came, no, but who bites the hand that feeds you? He never will criticise the Glazers, yet sadly, in the long run, his tacit support for the American owners risks tarnishing his brilliant past, especially in the eyes of the new generation, who only know of it from Youtube and Sky repeats. Just look at the thread on Sir Alex's biggest mistakes if you don't believe me, lots of anger over there about the disputed ownership of a certain racehorse. Read Roy Keane's autobiography, its all in there.

But at the end of the day, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. The thing is, 6-7 years ago when I first found the 'red cafe' my viewpoint was very much in the minority, but nowadays I think it is yourself and people like you who are out of step and living in the past. After all the trouble of getting ETH in, all the angst over Ole and Ralf Rangnick, to formally involve the 80 year old former Manager along with his 65 year old former Captain in the football club is just totally bonkers.

How can United ever move forward, if they keep looking back all the time?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why is it not surprising that the posters against this are some of the most negative on the site?
And the posters who don't read the OP and just post their views based on thread title. Maybe the same posters also won't read articles but post their views based on article title.

It clearly says Arnold will be taking their advice on few things and some genius thinks how this will have impact on EtH and what if EtH and SAF visions are different. As if SAF will be scouting and signing players or will EtH to play in certain way.

Waynne

Can we not just fecking move on from the past? Its like a massive fecking anchor on this club ever since we tasted dominance more than a decade ago.

Will Singh

Marmite springs to mind reading these comments. I think this is more to do with the business side of things well I hope it is because if it steps on ETH’s feet then I am in agreement with those who oppose. Maybe this is the dream team in the background that will get us back to the top…

Time will tell…!

FatTails

Funny that you read it like that. Seeking advice from other experts is actually a sign that he knows exactly what he’s doing. Do you reckon Bill Gates or Elon Musk don’t consult with anyone? Maybe next time try consulting with someone before you post something stupid?
:lol: :lol:

So good.

Greck

With regards to the role Arnold has, asking for advice and guidance from Gill makes sense. Fergie is very old now and has been out of the game for a while now, so I don't think he'd bring new ideas per se. Robson makes no sense. I have listened to him talk on MUTV during the preseason and I can't recall a single valuable or insightful thing he said.
I agree and one just needs to look at the seasons preceding and directly after his retirement. For some reason SAF became stubborn and refused to adjust to football inflation, leaving the squad in an underwhelming state because there was apparently "no value in the market". Football was in the the middle of the best crop of youngsters in ages and SAF had us pass on so many of them. Many would end up at our rivals, becoming PL icons and spend the next decade torching us. SAF was well out of touch when he left and as if to make things worse left Moyes as a parting gift. A great football manager doesn't translate to a great football exec. There's also his philosophy on manager loyalty where we always have to do right by our managers. Rather than being ruthless we end up pretending anyone can turn it around and turn to Fergie given time and faith. SAF is old fashioned to the bone.

I'm prepared to give Arnold my full support till red flags start showing but I'd be lying if this didn't make me think goddamn it, why does everyone hired by the club nowadays need to be learning on the job? Where's the guidance going to come from when no one has much experience in their role? Of course an inexpereinced person will end up turning to SAF and the rest who are far more knowledgeable. Problem is it's just going to create this loop where we keep doing the same things over and over again and expecting new results.

Last edited:

Matt851

What you mean the club so dominant in the German league it is almost impossible for them to fail. They are better run to be fair but have many advantages we don't enjoy such as the ability to pick of the best German players

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Blame it on the Fergie
No this is on Arnold who spends time at a pub sharing beers with fans, he probably got the idea off an old school fan, who was really intoxicated from free boozing on Richards back pocket, now fully drunk they sang every song from the glory days and agreed on a drunk suggestion of forming a "Think Tank" with SAF, Gill and Robo to lead

Hope I'm doing this negative thing right?;)
Tbh I think it's a good idea, I'm guessing their Job is to support ETH with whatever help he may need.