Sir Alex Ferguson: Never Give In

redmanx

He pretty much said so in his autobiography...

I don't disagree with you, by the way, especially when it comes to the younger vs older versions of him. But I think matching up to City would have required more than buying better players, but also a certain change in our football - kind of like the one Quieroz gave us.
Fergie proved time and time again he could change and adapt to anything in football.

Bulldog United

If you want to see what kind of dim cnuts our rivals have for supporters, take a look at some of the responses on here. Makes me laugh when people barely admit he was ‘one of’ the best. And that’s the kind stuff. I’d love to put them all in a giant blender.

These social media sites are dominated by loud dim cnuts in general.

Deep down, most fans are decent people away from the bluster of supporting their club with likeminded fans online.

While our journeys are all different, we all share the rollercoaster ride of emotions that come with supporting our chosen clubs.

Fergie certainly did make the childhoods miserable for our rival fans. :D But I know plenty of City and Liverpool fans who have nothing but total respect for his achievements today. The loud vile cnuts are the extreme minority, and even most of them are using these platforms to mask much deeper problems.

Grande

That is basically rubbish and not true. We never set up defensively against the likes of Barcelona Real.

Rooney on Sir Alex.
"When we got to the final in 2009, he said to us he knew we could beat them playing that way (defensively), but then he said, ‘We are Manchester United and we are not going into the Champions League final to sit back all game. We are going to attack them and do it the right way"

"Ferguson hated playing defensive. Really hated it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.givemesport.com/1615770-man-utd-legend-wayne-rooney-explains-fergusons-tactics-in-cl-finals-vs-barcelona?amp
You must have forgotten how we played in 2008. Two low banks of four and five, Scholes dedicated to take out Messi. Get them on the counters. 1-0 over 180 mins, very few chances. It was very well executed, and very pragmatic.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Putting Giggsy talking about that fatherly influence in the trailer is not great timing.

acrebo

Damn, that trailer alone really makes me feel conflicted. Incredibly proud of what he (and we) achieved during his time, but also incredibly sad at what's happened since.

Those days of football passion are gone forever. :(

arthurka

Damn, that trailer alone really makes me feel conflicted. Incredibly proud of what he (and we) achieved during his time, but also incredibly sad at what's happened since.

Those days of football passion are gone forever. :(
Don´t agree but they are hard with more and more clubs becoming soulless entities.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He hasnt lost it, that magnetic way he has, when a man like SAF talks, people listen. I wish I had the chance to get to know him personally.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Fergie proved time and time again he could change and adapt to anything in football.
If theres one man who would've accepted the challenge of Klopp and Pep it would be the great man himself.

SirAF

Ageist
Reckon I’ll be in bits watching this. Ugly crying. Even the fecking trailer has me emotional.
Yeah, a few of those scenes will be a tough watch. Devestating to hear the great man saying he was crying while fearing for his memory :(

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's fecking heart breaking to listen to that but at least we know in the end he came out on top. Incredible recovery. Long live the gaffer!

acrebo

Don´t agree but they are hard with more and more clubs becoming soulless entities.
Yeah, fair. I suppose I would have been better by saying that my passion towards football will never get back to those levels again.

RedDevilRoshi

Goosebumps watching that trailer. Cannot wait to watch this when it’s released later this month :drool:

Blueman

Supports
Man City
These social media sites are dominated by loud dim cnuts in general.

Deep down, most fans are decent people away from the bluster of supporting their club with likeminded fans online.

While our journeys are all different, we all share the rollercoaster ride of emotions that come with supporting our chosen clubs.

Fergie certainly did make the childhoods miserable for our rival fans. :D But I know plenty of City and Liverpool fans who have nothing but total respect for his achievements today. The loud vile cnuts are the extreme minority, and even most of them are using these platforms to mask much deeper problems.
Yup I am one of them (Though you dont know me). I watched SAF turn out team after team of achievers and hard workers playing for the cause, a real lesson in man management, so I read his book, really interesting to see how he worked and I am sure plenty of managers have taken their lead from him.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
They actively wanted to oust Fergie from his postion of manager. Over a horse. I'll take the Glazers any day over fecking idiots of that calibre. The board went looking for investors so they could temper Magnier and McManus' influence.
Yeah they created chaos to pressure SAF to back down over a private row - which he did. In the confusion the Glazers opportunistically bought up the club in a way that otherwise would have had far more scrutiny. In my view with more scrutiny they would have been blocked just like Murdoch was (though for different and obvious reasons) because there would have been a huge uproar, instead of it being a post script to a story people were already sick of. SAF himself would have had something to say were he not already up to his neck in horse sh1t.

Ergo the Glazers are the result of Fergie's row over a horse. He's a great man but that doesn't mean he's perfect.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is just incorrect. It isn't a matter of opinion; it's categorically incorrect. The Glaziers were sporting behemoths who owned Tampa Bay and were going to buy into United as their next step.

It's a basic causality fallacy. You're attempting to link 2 events without proving that one caused the other, in any way shape or form. If you do have a shred of evidence that the first incident actuated the second, you may share it.
Somewhat agree with the causation fallacy, but buying the Buccaneers in 1995 didn’t make the family ‘sporting behemoths’ by any stretch of the imagination, even with the one SB win a couple years prior to the purchase. They were behemoths in their chosen field of business & that allowed them the clout & finances to purchase Tampa Bay.

The Glazer sporting cred grew massively after purchasing United. They benefitted by the United brand both financially & through United’s stature in football. If anything, it could be argued that the family gained the sporting respectability they wanted through their purchase of United as opposed to their ownership of the Buccaneers.

Ladron de redcafe

Somewhat agree with the causation fallacy, but buying the Buccaneers in 1995 didn’t make the family ‘sporting behemoths’ by any stretch of the imagination, even with the one SB win a couple years prior to the purchase. They were behemoths in their chosen field of business & that allowed them the clout & finances to purchase Tampa Bay.

The Glazer sporting cred grew massively after purchasing United. They benefitted by the United brand both financially & through United’s stature in football. If anything, it could be argued that the family gained the sporting respectability they wanted through their purchase of United as opposed to their ownership of the Buccaneers.
Thanks for the correction. You'd have a more accurate idea of their standing when it comes to TB. I just remember a Superbowl win against the Raiders somewhere around the turn of the millennium.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Thanks for the correction. You'd have a more accurate idea of their standing when it comes to TB. I just remember a Superbowl win against the Raiders somewhere around the turn of the millennium.
Unfortunately it was a blip v. sustained quality.

The Glazers did turn the Bucs into a billion dollar franchise after only paying $190ish million for it (that amazingly was a record in 1995). It was not quite the leveraged buyouts out the United purchase was & it was rather lowball for being a record. The subsequent 10 years were also a tad sketchy due to the stadium being fully Tampa Bay Area taxpayer funded / Tampa Sports Authority gouged.

What can be said positively about these feckers is that both franchises did hit highs during their ownership (Bucs reaching the ultimate high twice), but the way they acquired the teams & their subsequent financial gain while turning a blind eye to immense challenges within each franchise leave an overall bad taste in my mouth, even with last year’s dream run still fresh in my memory.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Reckon I’ll be in bits watching this. Ugly crying. Even the fecking trailer has me emotional.
Yeah completely, I don't get it as I've never met Ferguson personally but just thinking of the man almost dying gets me emotional.

Marwood

He pretty much said so in his autobiography...

I don't disagree with you, by the way, especially when it comes to the younger vs older versions of him. But I think matching up to City would have required more than buying better players, but also a certain change in our football - kind of like the one Quieroz gave us.
We're only 10 points off City now with a decent rather than great team. Fergie alone would make up that gap before even discuss better players.

I think the only adjustment would be a bigger, better squad. To allow us to rotate and keep the standard up.

Woupd be great if the doc asked him about team and squad building after the two Champs League wins. Would he have done it differently looking back.