Sir Alex Ferguson: Never Give In

Devil81

What he did at Aberdeen separates him from the rest

A football God.
Yeah it does, I've always known it was an amazing achievement but looking at the two teams they beat in the Semi's and final, Bayern and Madrid it's almost Leicester levels of achievement.

Got to say watching 1999 from his perspective brought a tear to my eye, other than my kids births and wedding day I can honestly say those 3 minutes are without doubt my best memory of my life.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Was great. Doesn't matter how great you are, the line between success and failure is very thin and is out of your hands. The man was blessed and we with him. What an amazing manager.
To think he thought his footballing life was over and was headed to Canada :lol:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I always thought him and Jim Leighton made up. Just goes to show you, you have to be ruthless at the top. No time for sentiment.
Not only ruthless but absolutely driven and a fortunate win just wasn't enough for him.

There was a moment where we hadn't won but he said our performance was good. Compare that to the Aberdeen cup win v Rangers (where you'd think he'd have been ecstatic)... he was seriously pissed off at the level of performance.

No other manager would have been pissed at that moment.

But he's no other manager. Best there ever was or probably will be.

fergies coat

Not only ruthless but absolutely driven and a fortunate win just wasn't enough for him.

There was a moment where we hadn't won but he said our performance was good. Compare that to the Aberdeen cup win v Rangers (where you'd think he'd have been ecstatic)... he was seriously pissed off at the level of performance.

Thank god he chose United. If he took over any other club in England,
and was given time, they would of dominated the league instead of us.

GMoore23

It's a bit petty really isn't it.
Real petty alright. Also contradictory, talking about losing respect for the manager at Aberdeen yet somehow followed him to United.
He should wise up and be grateful he was ever associated with the great man.

Reactions: Rood

Oldham

Absolutely loved it. So good to see the GOAT manager in good form after his medical incident.

To your health and enjoy retirement Sir Alex Ferguson :devil:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Absolute joy to watch.

I even stuck around for the end credits, which led me to wondering why Jodie Foster got a special thanks.

decorativeed

Really enjoyed this. It'd be an inspirational story, no matter what, but we were so fortunate he was with us rather than anyone else. The term is overused these days, but the man is an absolute legend.

That tackle from Cantona it shows during his time in France though! Jesus, that's bad!

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I've said it before, but Sir Alex needed a Netflix series, in the style of The Last Dance. As good as this was, there was just so much more that needed to be discussed. His playing career and his Aberdeen days alone deserve and hour or two. 1986 to that FA Cup win could have been another episode on its own. The First title. The double Double. The Fledglings. The Treble. The Three in a Rows. The second Champions League. There is so much in Sir Alex's career that could be explored.

poleglass red

think the great man let his emotions get in the way there, he had a great dislike for Rangers after the way they treated him and his wife due to her religion. He wanted to stuff Rangers, which when you think of it, they were 1 just one week out from beating Real Madrid, it wasn't going to be possible to beat Rangers say 3 nil.He even admits himself "I can't understand why I did it." The level of effort that team put in that season, that reaction wasn't merited.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
think the great man let his emotions get in the way there, he had a great dislike for Rangers after the way they treated him and his wife due to her religion. He wanted to stuff Rangers, which when you think of it, they were 1 just one week out from beating Real Madrid, it wasn't going to be possible to beat Rangers say 3 nil.He even admits himself "I can't understand why I did it." The level of effort that team put in that season, that reaction wasn't merited.
Yeah, I think so too. I meant driven as in being annoyed he hadn't thumped Rangers (ideally 4-0?) rather than JUST annoyed at the performance (poorly worded)

I remember thAt Aberdeen side fondly... bit like Villa early 80s, a sum of their parts

poleglass red

Yeah, I think so too. I meant driven as in being annoyed he hadn't thumped Rangers (ideally 4-0?) rather than JUST annoyed at the performance (poorly worded)

I remember thAt Aberdeen side fondly... bit like Villa early 80s, a sum of their parts
what they achieved was unreal. His Aberdeen team was very reminisient of Fergies utd teams in that they never when to quit. So many times they came back to tie it up or win the games.

clarkydaz

Never knew the context about Rangers and his wife, thats tough. Watching that cup final clip understanding the context you can see in his eyes all kinds of emotions in him

jem

Just watched this…fecking hell! I won’t deny shedding a few tears. I actually Fergie could get the current team to win it all. Best manager ever. In any sport.

BestRed

Just watched this through again, feckin brilliant show. How lucky we were to have this great man running tthe show for over 25 years, amazing memories.

always_hoping

Not many managers get two life sized statues and is alive to unveil them.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Finally watched it. Damn, i didn't knew some stuff about him before this. And maaan, he really hates Rangers.
Q:"What was more important? Make Aberdeen best club in Scotland or beat Rangers"
A: "Beat Rangers" :lol: :lol:

IRN-BRUno

If anyone hasn't seen this yet, it's being shown on Channel 4 tomorrow at 7.30pm

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
After watching that poor England display against Hungary, it is good to watch the documentary about the greatest, Sir Alex Ferguson, Never Give In on UK C4.
Such an iconic man.
Such a sharp brain.
Such a brilliant manager.
The man who made Manchester United great again.... only to see it end up in the latest shambles.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Caught a bit of it again on CH4, my word.

That post cup final win speech! Plus he was the last guy to beat Madrid in a European Cup final.

Moriarty

It really is. He was dropped for bad performances ffs.

Sir Alex was never scared of making hard decisions. He did what was best for the team.
Leighton was awful in the first game against Palace. Look at his positioning for their 2nd and 3rd goals. Fergie did the right thing in playing Les Sealey for the replay.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No, it's the manager who needs to see it more. The players need to start doing what they're fecking told.
I said this once on here and got told off for not getting with the times. But it's the truth.

MalaysianRed7

Just rewatched it on Channel 4 for the umpteenth time. Firstly, it provided me with greater entertainment than the England game…More importantly though, I agree with many people in this thread than Leighton’s petty attitude is absolutely terrible. Fergie gave him a career, and just because he got dropped for being absolutely rubbish for a long stretch of games, he still holds a grudge. Forget what he was as a goalkeeper, I don’t think he’s a good person.

Also, it says more about the Aberdeen squad if a lot of players don’t remember him fondly, although that is probably just Leighton crying. Aside from Keane, no high profile United legend dislikes him!

MUW4Eva

This was and is such a fantastic film, my only gripe is why does it stop when it does?
Why no talk about Moscow, or anything after Barcelona 99??

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Amazon Prime isn’t letting us Yanks watch it apparently, anyone know any other sources to see this, scrupulous or not?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This was and is such a fantastic film, my only gripe is why does it stop when it does?
Why no talk about Moscow, or anything after Barcelona 99??
Artistically it's probably the right choice, that's the peak, the climax, nothing after it can measure up and the flow is poetic with him getting this young group of lads through lows and highs finally culminating in achieving the crown jewel of European football.

It also exemplified his spirit and his never say die attitude, a fitting note to end it on.