Sir Bobby Charlton diagnosed with dementia | 2021: Gets his COVID vaccine

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Sad news. My wife tells me how her grandmother was when she had it and eventually died of it. Her dad who is in her 50's has been told he may have it already.
I know someone who had early onset alzhemirs at about 50. A really interesting Louis Theroux documentary about people with Alzhemirs. One woman in it was only in her forties when she got it. She had a young daughter which made it really sad. She got to a stage where she could not even draw a clock on a sheet of paper.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Sad news indeed and I don't mean to sound controversial but people who have dementia can still continue to lead happy lives. They will eventually succumb to the condition, or health issues that will be caused by it, but it is not always the case that they will completely forget everyone they know. Everyone's dementia is different and some of the happiest, funniest people I've ever met have been in the care homes that I've worked in.

Obviously, the people I meet are often different from the people that their relatives remember, but it's another stage of life and I'm sure Sir Bobby will have the best of care and the continued love and support from his family.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
England's best ever player. Extremely strong claim for United's best ever, also. He's an institution and it's brutal for someone like him to be stripped of his memories.

Can echo what others in this thread have said about watching family go through it; just a horrid thing to witness.

Thoughts go out to Bobby, obviously, but the family who are experiencing his decline warrant it just as much, perhaps moreso. Anyone who is a friend of his is going to be feeling helpless, too.

This should be big news in the UK and a big chance to raise awareness about dementia.

It goes without saying that the club should be doing all in its power to assist Bobby and his family.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
shite news, in a year of shite, its by no means a competition, but i think only Motor Neurone sounds worse out of all the recent aliments that has been given public awareness but sportsmen

Addled

Really sad news. Wishing him and his family well. What a horrible thing to happen to such a great guy. We are losing our heroes in this horrible year.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What a shit year this is

it’s a horrible cruel disease, which took my own mum. Horrible to think of Sir Bobby going through it. I wish his family all the love and fortitude they will need as they see him get worse

djembatheking

Sad news indeed and I don't mean to sound controversial but people who have dementia can still continue to lead happy lives. They will eventually succumb to the condition, or health issues that will be caused by it, but it is not always the case that they will completely forget everyone they know. Everyone's dementia is different and some of the happiest, funniest people I've ever met have been in the care homes that I've worked in.

Obviously, the people I meet are often different from the people that their relatives remember, but it's another stage of life and I'm sure Sir Bobby will have the best of care and the continued love and support from his family.
Good post, my father in law was diagnosed 13 years ago and he can`t remember what happened yesterday but he remembers loads from his youth, he is also very cheerful most the time , sings a lot and loves his food. He hasn`t been out since March as social distancing is impossible. Incredibly tough for my mother in law though.
My thoughts are with Bobby, Norma and family .

Tribec

This past week has been as bad as any this year and this just caps it off. He's been through so much, and yet done so much for United and football as a whole. One hoped he'd be spared to live his life to a natural end and not have to fight this sort of thing. I met him once strangely at a the Willow's football ground where he was playing in a friendly, I must have been 4,5 or 6 at the time. I just remember my uncle rushing me to the tunnel area at full time just to meet him and shake his hand. It's like a life time ago, and I can't even recall anything about the game. My thoughts are with him and his family today and let's hope the current team can put in a performance today for him and Nobby.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My pop unfortunately succumbed to this same disease relatively quickly after being diagnosed. It wasn’t pretty. Hope Sir Bobby mounts a more effective fight against it.

Devil may care

Having way too much experience of this cruel illness first hand my heart goe out to Sir Bobby and his family. :(

Arnold Layne

My Dad has vascular dementia and is in a care home now. We can't visit due to covid. Whether parents or grandparents enjoy every minute you have with them because when the light goes out in their eyes it is heartbreaking. So sad to hear this news I love Sir Bobby. It is a cruel disease.

Okey

Oh dear No! Wishing you well Sir Bobby. I hope it's not the severe kind, and he's able to maintain some decent functioning.

Falcow

So sad to hear this. What an absolute legend of the game. I hope it's a mild version if there is such a thing. All the best Sir Bobby.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The biggest gentleman I had ever met. Its very sad indeed

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Such sad news. Wish him and his family all the best :(

David Bartley

Dreadfully sad news. Sir Bobby was surely the most successful player England ever produced. A real gent and one of the main supporters of SAF at board level in the ropey first three years. Wish I'd seen him play live, such an exciting player. Not sure this is a football related illness?

David Bartley

According to his great autobiographies, Sir Bobby and Nobby were best mates, always rooming together. Some hilarious Mr Magoo like stories about Nobby, who Booby obviously loved as a pal as well as teammate . So the news is even more sad.

David Bartley

What do you get out of playing football, Sir Bobby was asked in the mid 60s - 'kicks', he replied. He didn't get too many of those because any defender dozy enough to try and dive in on him was left sprawling on his backside with Bob twenty yards upfield. What was then called the 'body swerve', of which SBC was the acknowledged master. And of course he was one of the most explosive and exciting strikers of a ball the game has ever seen. All United fans wish him well.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

Amir

Sad news indeed and I don't mean to sound controversial but people who have dementia can still continue to lead happy lives. They will eventually succumb to the condition, or health issues that will be caused by it, but it is not always the case that they will completely forget everyone they know.
I hope it will be like that in Sir Bobby's case. However, I worry about the report mentioning it was his wife that allowed his condition to be reported rather than him. That. And his silence over Nobby's death, might hint his current condition.