Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

Sviken

Hope I'm wrong but it's probably the Glazers hoping to sell some shares and pocket the money, it won't benefit the club. Still don't see them selling up yet unfortunately
Well, of course it is. It is up to us to make them selling the only option. We won't get another opportunity like this for a long time.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
CEO: David Beckham
DoF: Gary Neville
Manager: Ole Ole I love you
Technical Director: Fletch
Marketing director: Paul Scholes
Head of Academy: Nicky Butt
Chief Data Scientist: Phil Jones

:drool:
Nice thought but needs some work:

CEO: Van der Sar (no jokes here)
Chief Marketing Officer: David Beckham (obviously)
Head of Recruitment: Rio Ferdinand (muppet)
Chief Strategy Officer: Gary Neville (know-it-all)
Head of HR: Ryan Giggs (irony)
Chief Medical Officer: Phil Jones (experience)
Director of Football: Paul Scholes (footballers footballer)
Public Relations Director: Patrice Evra (WUM)
Technical Director: Michael Carrick (quiet boffin)
Manager: Roy Keane (psycho).

Flying high

Well, of course it is. It is up to us to make them selling the only option. We won't get another opportunity like this for a long time.
Exactly. We need to make this momentum count, whatever their plans are.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I would love to see this. If he did come in wipe the debt, and put competent people to manage the football side of the club, and then took a back seat and let them do their thing, it would be massive for us.

Isle

Isn't it time to create a separate thread for Ownership discussions?, seeing that we will have so many rumors and news coming out in coming days, weeks and months?

Marcus

I would love to see this. If he did come in wipe the debt, and put competent people to manage the football side of the club, and then took a back seat and let them do their thing, it would be massive for us.
Hmm I think the debt removal isn't really a game changer. What I want is that he takes full control and then pumps in his own money to let the team be able to compete financially again. Yes we buy expensive players. But we overpay for them and their salaries because we are not an attractive sporting proposition right now. We need to be successful again so that players want to come to us and not just for the high salaries. A bit chicken and the egg, but we need a virtuous cycle again.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The debt's not an issue as long as interest rates are reasonably low. Its how badly we have been run that's the issue. Woodward has been a disaster and pissed away billion quid with little to show.

Ema_datsi

I don’t like the sound of “minority stake” but if it’s just to pry it open then that could be a promising start. Hopefully it’s none of this non-voting stock nonsense that MUST are so enamoured of, because that’s just stupid - hand over your money but have no say.

One gets the impression that it’s really Joel and Avram that are the ones that are trying their hardest to play the role of Billionaire businessmen when in reality they’ve just got by on their father’s investments. The last decade has revealed them to be lousy owners with horrible business sense. You’d think that after nearly two decades, these idiots would have atleast gotten better people to run the club.

If it’s true that the other siblings want to sell up, then maybe SJR will approach them for their shares. Unlike Joel and Avram, SJR is an actual self-made billionaire who’s run business, so hopefully he has the know-how to deal with these two blithering idiots.

As for Apollo, if it’s a competent Private Equity firm then it could potentially be worse - they’d have the expertise to actually asset strip the club and leave it a husk. Hopefully the FA has the stones to prevent this but they’ve shown that they are good for sweet F**k All.

Atleast all this transfer activity seems to indicate that the two Glazer idiots are rattled. I just hope our fans don’t fall for this old trick, and keep up the pressure unlike last time.

I don’t think SJR is a saint or the messiah but he’s probably a much much much better option than the Glazers, US investment firms/vulture capitalists, or our club becoming part of a sportswashing campaign.

Hope springs eternal in the hearts of Man United supporters.

RedDevilQuebecois

The replies :lol:

One of their high-ranking members has been photographed with Jeffrey Epstein. I don't want any of those fecking rapists involved near the club.

Speaking of CEO after a potential regime change, my heart is torn between Edwin van der Sar (because of his experience with Ajax and hero status at United) and David Beckham (United through and through, and could be our own Karl-Heinz Rummenigge). Anyone wanting to give opinions on that?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He has most of his wealth in DOGE coin so if he's gonna buy, it won't be anytime soon. He's waiting for another bull run.
Source: trust me bro.

Tarrou

One of their high-ranking members has been photographed with Jeffrey Epstein. I don't want any of those fecking rapists involved near the club.

Speaking of CEO after a potential regime change, my heart is torn between Edwin van der Sar (because of his experience with Ajax and hero status at United) and David Beckham (United through and through, and could be our own Karl-Heinz Rummenigge). Anyone wanting to give opinions on that?
I can't see how Edwin, never mind Beckham, could be qualified to be our CEO. Sure he's CEO of Ajax but the CEO position can have varying remits depending on how the company and board is is setup and being a former footballer he isn't going to have much of the skill-set required to run the day-to-day of a board-room and corporation like United.

Whoever buys the club is obviously gonna bring in their own man and the chances they'll put a former player in the role must be pretty slim. We can't afford to feck things up again.

I do hope they bring in their own football men too, such as a top DOF and wotnot, and maybe there is a role for Edwin there somewhere if he wants it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Nice thought but needs some work:

CEO: Van der Sar (no jokes here)
Chief Marketing Officer: David Beckham (obviously)
Head of Recruitment: Rio Ferdinand (muppet)
Chief Strategy Officer: Gary Neville (know-it-all)
Head of HR: Ryan Giggs (irony)
Chief Medical Officer: Phil Jones (experience)
Director of Football: Paul Scholes (footballers footballer)
Public Relations Director: Patrice Evra (WUM)
Technical Director: Michael Carrick (quiet boffin)
Manager: Roy Keane (psycho).
HR is supposed to protect the organization, not putting them in a lawsuit.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I can't see how Edwin, never mind Beckham, could be qualified to be our CEO. Sure he's CEO of Ajax but the CEO position can have varying remits depending on how the company and board is is setup and being a former footballer he isn't going to have much of the skill-set required to run the day-to-day of a board-room and corporation like United.

Whoever buys the club is obviously gonna bring in their own man and the chances they'll put a former player in the role must be pretty slim. We can't afford to feck things up again.

I do hope they bring in their own football men too, such as a top DOF and wotnot, and maybe there is a role for Edwin there somewhere if he wants it.
Yeah, I think a lot of people fail to understand basic business principles in here. The CEO at Manchester United should always be a business person with experience running a large company with global marketing operations. Preferably someone in a synergistic field. The football operations should be overseen by someone with extensive domain experience and be an autonomous part of the organisation that conforms to the strategic intent and financial parameters of the wider business.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Not sure you noticed but Ratcliffe's first club purchase in 2017, the Swiss club, FC Lausanne–Sport was relegated last season. He had appointed his brother as the club's president after the purchase.

RedDevilQuebecois

I don't know what kind of qualifications the new regime would look from a CEO in charge, BUT I can promise you that Ajax shares a big similarity with United since the Dutch club is publicly listed on the stock exchange Euronext Amsterdam since 1998. Thus they probably are as much of a corporation with their own board like United do with the main difference being the type of ownership; it's the company rather than a few individuals that stands at the helm of the club.

But if the most capable person in a position to understand our needs and to do what is necessary to make us great again is a foormer footballer, then what will we do? Bayern Munich has had former players in high ranking positions since Uli Hoeness and co. Ajax is also the same thing and hence why they always maintained that strong relationship with the fans through thick and thin.

Regardless, I strongly believe that the best way to rebuild a relationship of trust between the club and the fans is always through a former legend/hero of the club in a high position. Former footballers are now far more intelligent and more versed into business than they used to be 2 or 3 decades ago.

RedDevilQuebecois

Who is this Jim Ratcliffe? How much is his net worth?
Description on Wikipedia:

Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE (born 18 October 1952) is an English billionaire chemical engineer and businessman. Ratcliffe is the chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) of the Ineos chemicals group, which he founded in 1998 and of which he still owns two-thirds, and which has been estimated to have a turnover of $15 billion in 2019. He does not have a high public profile, and has been described by The Sunday Times as "publicity shy". As of May 2018, he was the richest person in the UK, with a net worth of £21.05 billion. As of April 2020, Bloomberg Billionaires Index estimated his net worth at $28.2 billion, 55th richest in the world and second in the UK. In September 2020, Ratcliffe officially changed his tax residence from Hampshire to Monaco, a move that it is estimated will save him £4 billion in tax.

FatTails

At our size, anyone who can afford to buy us will either be like the Glazers (milking it for the business it is), or worse (a cnut), or some dystopian shitty state.

Situation is hopeless.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
How is Jim Ratcliffe going to be any different? Right now the best owners seems to be the likes of City and PSG owners who have so much money that they are willing to invest everything into the club. We need to not going get players but also rebuild the stadium and the training facilities, which means we need more than 1B invested into the club. If Jim going to be willing to do that?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The Glazers realize they messed up big time and want to sell before the value decreases too much

Marcus

How is Jim Ratcliffe going to be any different? Right now the best owners seems to be the likes of City and PSG owners who have so much money that they are willing to invest everything into the club. We need to not going get players but also rebuild the stadium and the training facilities, which means we need more than 1B invested into the club. If Jim going to be willing to do that?
He is a United fan. We all know how lovably illogical we can get. Maybe he will take United private. And see what can be done from then on. Having United listed publicly does not seem to be advantageous to the club at all any more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
More than anything we need people who can run the club competently. That can be done even without having City like wealth. Maybe it won't ensure we match them but it will ensure we are a well oiled machine rather than a farce.

always_hoping

The only way that i ever see United competing at the top level again. So the main question is can Jim fix it?

RDCR07

More than anything we need people who can run the club competently. That can be done even without having City like wealth. Maybe it won't ensure we match them but it will ensure we are a well oiled machine rather than a farce.
Yes I understand hiring the right people is the most important thing to do moving forward. But still boat loads of investment need to be made to make the facilities better. Hiring the best people isn't going to do that. That money can only come from Jim.

Drz

CEO: David Beckham
DoF: Gary Neville
Manager: Ole Ole I love you
Technical Director: Fletch
Marketing director: Paul Scholes
Head of Academy: Nicky Butt
Chief Data Scientist: Phil Jones

:drool:
Scholes in marketing would be a laugh-riot.

Dr. StrangeHate

The only way that i ever see United competing at the top level again. So the main question is can Jim fix it?
He created his wealth rather than inheriting it. So he knows the importance of having the right people in charge. If he comes in, we can say with good probability that he will clean house.

RDCR07

The club is not worth that and they know that. They can be lucky to get half if at all
I think you're underestimating the worth of the club. I think the players, the team, the performances don't warrant that but the worth of the football club is so much more than that. Look at the Knicks from the NBA and Cowboys from the NFL. These teams are shit and haven't won anything in over 3 to 4 DECADES yet they are the most valuable NBA and NFL teams easily worth over 3-4B. If the Glazers were selling for 2-2.5B literally rich buyers will kill each other for that valuation.

RDCR07

Decreased? I was expecting it to be closer to 6 billion based/benchmarked against
the Chelsea price.
You should look at the post I quoted. I wasn't suggesting the price has decreased. Also its 6B Dollars which is around 5B Sterling.

mk7

He created his wealth rather than inheriting it. So he knows the importance of having the right people in charge. If he comes in, we can say with good probability that he will clean house.
That would also be my hope. But it could also be a SAF situation where he alone is calling the shots and there is no scalability to the success.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
HR is supposed to protect the organization, not putting them in a lawsuit.
Thats why it’s called irony.

There was nothing about my post that was even remotely serious. I mean, come on the feck on, seriously.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think you're underestimating the worth of the club. I think the players, the team, the performances don't warrant that but the worth of the football club is so much more than that. Look at the Knicks from the NBA and Cowboys from the NFL. These teams are shit and haven't won anything in over 3 to 4 DECADES yet they are the most valuable NBA and NFL teams easily worth over 3-4B. If the Glazers were selling for 2-2.5B literally rich buyers will kill each other for that valuation.
The clubs market cap is 2bn and in our state I dont see anyone willing to pay much goodwill on top. The Glazers know that

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes I understand hiring the right people is the most important thing to do moving forward. But still boat loads of investment need to be made to make the facilities better. Hiring the best people isn't going to do that. That money can only come from Jim.
That's the thing. That isn't happening under the Glazers either so they're the worst of both worlds. What Chelsea have gotten is very good tbh - a loaded consortium. Better than A billionaire. Unless that billionaire is just the right one.

RDCR07

That's the thing. That isn't happening under the Glazers either so they're the worst of both worlds. What Chelsea have gotten is very good tbh - a loaded consortium. Better than A billionaire. Unless that billionaire is just the right one.
Exactly. Just cause Jim isn't a Glazer doesn't mean he is a better owner. At the end of the day if the investment isn't made into the club we are back to square one. Its the whole Mctominay situation in midfield. Just cause a player is better than Mct doesn't mean we need him cause that benchmark is so slow. And yes I prefer if a bunch of billionaires join together to get us rather than one person.

Fluctuation0161

The debt's not an issue as long as interest rates are reasonably low. Its how badly we have been run that's the issue. Woodward has been a disaster and pissed away billion quid with little to show.
Interest rates are currently sky rocketing across the World.

Haven't we already wasted £1bn on interest payments since 2005!?