Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
See that's the problem. No one except state owned firms are going to spend 4-6 billions from their personal account. Every prospective buyer (again unless owned by state) will need lending for which the collateral will be the club itself. The moment you are lending, the debt is back on and we will have huge amount to pay back every year.

Basically only one of the below options will work

Get ready to be owned by a state . Feck values .
Or
Be ready for the process of debt again ,probably by a Glazer mk 2. But we will still have the morale values.
Chelsea haven't been?

I don't think they're being sucked dry of their profit either. Why should we be different?

I know Boehly has acted like a bit of a spoilt child since taking over but that'll settle once the novelty wears off.

Gandalf

Been offline a couple of days but I am bored and back now so lets deconstruct this post. I know it is punching down but Iran just destroyed my dreams of World Cup glory, in fact they destroyed my dreams of mere World Cup respectability and so swinging the bat at some low hanging fruit might make me feel better.

You do realise he is worth £15bn, right?
I realise he has a net worth of £15bn the vast majority of which is not liquid. He does not have £6bn in cash which is what I said so I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Net worth and cash on hand are two entirely different things, you do get that right?

You don't have to be an "altruistic soul" to spend some of your own money on improving the club you support. He's previously spoken about wanting to leave a legacy behind now that he's in his 70s. Paying off United's existing debts would be a tap in for him in terms of beginning to cement his legacy.
He has openly spoken about viewing it as a business opportunity not to mention he would be purchasing it as part of the INEOS group as an investment. The fantasy that he is going to wipe away hundreds of millions of pounds of debt is comical. He might have a business plan to run the club more sustainably and eliminate the debt over time but he will not be giving away his own money.

He's a lifelong United fan who went to a few Chelsea games because Stamford Bridge was on his doorstep. It's really not that big of a deal. Besides, even if he was a diehard Chelsea fan, that in no way strengthens your argument that he'd be as bad for us as the Glazers. Your agenda against Ratcliffe is a bit weird. What's he done to offend you this deeply?
Now we get to the projection part of your post. I have no agenda and he has done nothing to offend me personally. I don't call being a season ticket holder at Stamford Bridge for 10 years just going to a few games but whatever. I did not call him a diehard Chelsea fan I was just illustrating the point that he is not the United super fan that people seem to think he is, I don't honestly think he is a diehard fan of anyone or football in general, he is a businessman. He might be better than the Glazers but he is a businessman first and foremost and he won't buy the club unless he sees profit in it for himself.

Oh I get it. You dislike Ratcliffe because he was a Brexit supporter. Dry your eyes mate. There's plenty of other billionaires out there who have done a lot worse than being pro-Leave.
Congratulations! You put 2+2 together and got 5. Whether he was for or against Brexit is immaterial. I was making a point about the difference between promises and reality and unless you think Brexit has been a booming success and the Project Leave team never told any lies then you would have understood that.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I don't recall the Glazers or one of its firms had released caustic soda into the Manchester ship canal though. That doesn't mean he's not a true red though. Ok he might be the kind who has a Chelsea season ticket, who tried to buy a rival club and who prefer to live in Monaco to avoid paying taxes in the UK. But a true red nevertheless.
Wow. :lol:

Did Ratcliffe himself release the toxins? What does it matter if he has a season ticket elsewhere? I'm sure most owners of their respective clubs weren't fans before they brought them!

As I mentioned before, United were actually based in the Cayman Islands for a period under the Glazers ....and why do you think that was??

So yeah, play morality regarding taxes and Ratcliffe but United have done the same recently.

Good luck finding a perfect rich person with absolute perfect morality, because let me tell you, they are very very heard to come by.
In fact as is any human when it comes to money.

Champ

Because Nice will mostly likely look to sell on young prospects and get big money for them, not because they want to break a monopoly on the league.
Well yeah.

That's the idea with the clubs INEOs have brought, they've even said that themselves.

That's the reason they want a bigger/premiership team. They are creating a group of clubs, similar to City's owners.
It's no secret, they've stated it many times over!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Wow. :lol:

Did Ratcliffe himself release the toxins? What does it matter if he has a season ticket elsewhere? I'm sure most owners of their respective clubs weren't fans before they brought them!

As I mentioned before, United were actually based in the Cayman Islands for a period under the Glazers ....and why do you think that was??

So yeah, play morality regarding taxes and Ratcliffe but United have done the same recently.

Good luck finding a perfect rich person with absolute perfect morality, because let me tell you, they are very very heard to come by.
In fact as is any human when it comes to money.
So the morality card is better discarded which basically narrow things to two key issues ie club investment and investment into the Manchester community. ME owners have more money then Jimmy Brexit and they actually add value to the Manchester community (rather then caustic soda)

Champ

So the morality card is better discarded which basically narrow things to two key issues ie club investment and investment into the Manchester community. ME owners have more money then Jimmy Brexit and they actually add value to the Manchester community (rather then caustic soda)
Ah, so despite going on about morality, you now wish to discard that.

Yet in the very next sentence talk about environmental issues, which the Middle Eastern regions are well known to completely ignore.

United already invest heavily into the community, don't need ME owners to do that.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Chelsea haven't been?

I don't think they're being sucked dry of their profit either. Why should we be different?

I know Boehly has acted like a bit of a spoilt child since taking over but that'll settle once the novelty wears off.
I dont think we have enough details of the source of the Chelsea sale. The money he is spending is part of the commitment he made when he signed up for this. We don't know if he Can continue doing this year. We won't know till next year though.

See that's the problem. No one except state owned firms are going to spend 4-6 billions from their personal account. Every prospective buyer (again unless owned by state) will need lending for which the collateral will be the club itself. The moment you are lending, the debt is back on and we will have huge amount to pay back every year.

Basically only one of the below options will work

Get ready to be owned by a state . Feck values .
Or
Be ready for the process of debt again ,probably by a Glazer mk 2. But we will still have the moral values.
Fairly certain that leveraged buyouts are no longer legal for football clubs, so the collateral for any loan will not be the club.

bond19821982

Fairly certain that leveraged buyouts are no longer legal for football clubs, so the collateral for any loan will not be the club.
Ofcourse not on the paper but we are deluded if we think owner won't take the part of the profits to pay up some of the lending.

Adam-Utd

I dont think we have enough details of the source of the Chelsea sale. The money he is spending is part of the commitment he made when he signed up for this. We don't know if he Can continue doing this year. We won't know till next year though.
we don’t need billionaire money though, we have our own. we spend 90m on debt payments on top of our usual transfers every year! add that to the warchest and we’re fine

devilish

As evidenced by City’s owners most of what is brought to the Manchester community is council corruption, but don’t let local knowledge get in the way of a terrible point.
Fair enough. Is it worse that caustic soda? Cause that's what the Mancunian Brexit Jimmy had brought to the city. It won't hurt him though as he currently live in Monaco

devilish

Significantly, but I don’t reckon you understand the science.
What I do understand is that your allegations are quite serious. Throwing such allegations in here is dangerous for the CAF. If you have proof than you should go straight to the police rather then discussing them here.

devilish

Ah, so despite going on about morality, you now wish to discard that.

Yet in the very next sentence talk about environmental issues, which the Middle Eastern regions are well known to completely ignore.

United already invest heavily into the community, don't need ME owners to do that.

You can't have your cake and eat it.
I am no Brexiter. ;)

My point is very simple to understand. There aren't many billionaires who happen to be decent. A simple background search on most prospective candidates so far kind to reinforce that argument. In such circumstances we should go for wealth and the positive contribution such organization/person had done within the community. In my opinion United need 2B investment on top of the 6b-8b the Glazers are valuing the club. Someone whose wealth rotate around 10b dollars doesn't seem the right candidate to me.

bond19821982

we don’t need billionaire money though, we have our own. we spend 90m on debt payments on top of our usual transfers every year! add that to the warchest and we’re fine
We still need that person to put 4 billions just to buy the club, right ? We are expecting that to come from his own account and not banks .
Why would anyone who knows business, do that ? No one is spending 4 billion because he is a huge fan of the club.

Adam-Utd

We still need that person to put 4 billions just to buy the club, right ? We are expecting that to come from his own account and not banks .
Why would anyone who knows business, do that ? No one is spending 4 billion because he is a huge fan of the club.
it’s the prestige of buying it.

You don’t buy a ferrari or an expensive watch in the hope it makes you profit.

in a billionaires circle it’s something i’ve got that you don’t

Champ

I am no Brexiter. ;)

My point is very simple to understand. There aren't many billionaires who happen to be decent. A simple background search on most prospective candidates so far kind to reinforce that argument. In such circumstances we should go for wealth and the positive contribution such organization/person had done within the community. In my opinion United need 2B investment on top of the 6b-8b the Glazers are valuing the club. Someone whose wealth rotate around 10b dollars doesn't seem the right candidate to me.
Again, you've changed your whole outlook on this.

You've gone from morality, to whose best for the club, to whose wealthiest.

Personally, I would rather have Ratcliffe than a Saudi prince or subsidiary of the government.
I'd rather have someone who is looking to grow their businesses rather than a rich persons plaything to wash their dirty past/money.

No billionaire is going to be perfect, we have to accept that, we have to look at whose the lesser of multiple evils realistically, in my mind that's Ratcliffe so far.

Swordsman

Oil money is infinite. Sir Jim is 13 billon only and limited resources.

Don't expect Sir Jim to rebuild or repair the facilities of United and invest in youth. changes will take a much longer time in order for United to be good again.

Oil money is different. They just throw a lot of money and expect results. Look at City. They got the state of the art youth academy and training ground. Their stadium is not leaking. Manager can change the whole team if he wants.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Don't expect Sir Jim to rebuild or repair the facilities of United and invest in youth. changes will take a much longer time in order for United to be good again.

Oil money is different. They just throw a lot of money and expect results. Look at City. They got the state of the art youth academy and training ground. Their stadium is not leaking. Manager can change the whole team if he wants.
Oil money seems infinite but it's not. However the amount of funds allocated for City and PSG are more than enough for them to have a top team.
13 billion is a lot and a percentage of that is enough to build a very good team. However of course he wouldn't use his own money. He will leverage it. Considering how bad the management and direction of the club are under Glazers, I'd welcome ownership change. As for Sir Jim, there's no better time to buy the club than now. When another big club is apparently also for sale (he has more option), a new manager is in charge who seems to know what he's doing (Ten Hag) and squad clearance of Ronaldo. This team is ready for the future. Just need an owner that facilitates it's growth. Can we compete with oil money if we keep making good decisions? yes, look at Liverpool before they crumbled.

croadyman

Yeah and proven at putting the right people in place,just wish these kind of owners didn’t come from countries with human rights issues.

devilish

Again, you've changed your whole outlook on this.

You've gone from morality, to whose best for the club, to whose wealthiest.

Personally, I would rather have Ratcliffe than a Saudi prince or subsidiary of the government.
I'd rather have someone who is looking to grow their businesses rather than a rich persons plaything to wash their dirty past/money.

No billionaire is going to be perfect, we have to accept that, we have to look at whose the lesser of multiple evils realistically, in my mind that's Ratcliffe so far.
I am not. My point is that since the billionaires being linked to our club are cnuts then we might as well go for someone who can inject some serious money into the club rather then someone whose aim is to raise share prices to then sell off at a later stage. I watched that video and apart from the debt part, I don't see much of a difference between him and the Glazers.

devilish

Yeah and proven at putting the right people in place,just wish these kind of owners didn’t come from countries with human rights issues.
Malta sits in the middle between the Arab world and Europe so we know a thing or two about the mentality there. Arabs tend to be insanely generous and insanely proud. You humiliate an Arab to your own peril. Thus why, once in the limelight, they'll spend insane money and they'll make sure that the best structure is in place because they can't see themselves ending up looking silly.

devilish

Oil money seems infinite but it's not. However the amount of funds allocated for City and PSG are more than enough for them to have a top team.
13 billion is a lot and a percentage of that is enough to build a very good team. However of course he wouldn't use his own money. He will leverage it. Considering how bad the management and direction of the club are under Glazers, I'd welcome ownership change. As for Sir Jim, there's no better time to buy the club than now. When another big club is apparently also for sale (he has more option), a new manager is in charge who seems to know what he's doing (Ten Hag) and squad clearance of Ronaldo. This team is ready for the future. Just need an owner that facilitates it's growth. Can we compete with oil money if we keep making good decisions? yes, look at Liverpool before they crumbled.
Liverpool made some shrewd buys that ended up hitting above their weight. I think that they are selling out because the squad is ageing, they don't believe that lightening will stuck the same place twice and they can't afford spending the insane money needed to keep them competitive.

Champ

I am not. My point is that since the billionaires being linked to our club are cnuts then we might as well go for someone who can inject some serious money into the club rather then someone whose aim is to raise share prices to then sell off at a later stage. I watched that video and apart from the debt part, I don't see much of a difference between him and the Glazers.
If you can't see the difference you're not looking hard enough.

You've proper done a U turn from your original posts on here, :lol:

devilish

If you can't see the difference you're not looking hard enough.

You've proper done a U turn from your original posts on here, :lol:
I don't recall the Glazer polluting the country though or screwing an entire generation up by backing Brexit to keep racking profit. On football terms they both hire their mates in their business ahead of meritocracy. TBF I don't recall the Glazers hiring a bicycle guru as director of sport. I mean Brailsford's experience in football makes Murtough and Fletcher look like Clough and SAF respectively.

TBF towards Ratcliffe he kept Nice out of debt and he did invest some of his own money into the club. Not much but something. That's a plus for him. His aim with Nice is European qualification which is more or less what the Glazers aim with us. Both simply lack the funds to make United competitive and both pride of having a business approach of things ahead of passion. Ratcliffe does claim to be a United fan although he is a Chelsea season ticket holder and he tried to buy Chelsea as well. I guess this loyalty is within the lines of him being a proud UK citizen despite polluting it and avoiding paying taxes there.

Some people seem to minimise how much United will cost + how much investment it needs not only to put things right but also to keep competing with the Abu Dhabi/Dubai guys. Now if you say that you're happy to end up a top 6 club (or maybe even worse) as long as the club doesn't get owned by the ME sheiks then I respect that. I disagree with it but I respect that. But don't tell me that a guy who can't make Nice compete in a two horse race and can't even manage a Swiss team to success will be able to manage United. FFS the guy place a very late bid for Chelsea just hours before the preferred bidder was selected. His argument for Raine to consider his bid was 'we are British bla bla bla'. Very serious buyer indeed.

Last edited:

Teja

Just like when the EPL was introduced, it was a disruptive model that changed the way football was being presented to the world. That was 30years ago. Do you think that the current model will remain the same in 10 years time?

Why do you think the Project Big Picture and the Super League came about? There is movement to want to change the current model. This is whats driving the major players in the content market. The US, China and India markets are embryonic.

Its expensive to buy content from the movie houses -- whole take a big chuck of the revenues. So why not buy a unique property like Unted that has millions of eyeballs guaranteed every weekend and then sum. No need for costly customer acquisition at more. Its cheaper.

A bank spends an average of $200 to acquire a customer. Given that United has several hundred million very loyal fans/customers already... imagine how much that fan base is worth?
It's impossible for companies to buy streaming rights for a single club separately. If United wants to force it the PL can simply kick us out of the league.

As Buffet says, focusing on things that can change is one way but focusing on things that will never change is where you can make big bets / strong statements. The PL, UEFA etc will simply not allow clubs to negotiate individual TV rights deals.

The model can obviously change but the PL is doing everything right so far - it's already dominating the other leagues and becoming the super league by itself, so I doubt anything will really change in 10 years.

The growth in revenue will come through more sponsorship deals (potentially tapped out for us already) and organic growth in overseas markets like India, China etc. leading to more lucrative TV deals.

Customer acquisition cost isn't the same as having some captive eyeballs. People use the United brand to push everything under the sun. I highly doubt we've sold 200M tractors and likewise 200M United fans won't open a HDFC bank account because the bank advertised a United branded savings account.

Hal9000

The thing is with city is they put the structures in place. They had the stadium already but developed the campus and the facilities. They poached the team that made Barca so successful to run the club. They have also recruited much better than us. Grelish was their first player over 70 million. But you also gave to look at the prices that are selling players for. Even Haaland will net then a tidy profit even he inevitable goes to real.

We need owners to do the same, upgrade the training ground, and facilities, get the right people in and invest in youth development and recruitment departments. The only issue we have is that we don't have a brand new stadium to be handed on a plate to us.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He might be better than the Glazers but he is a businessman first and foremost and he won't buy the club unless he sees profit in it for himself.
I never said he wasn't a businessman who will want the club to be financially successful, but that doesn't mean he's going to take dividends out every year. You seem to have realised that now by backtracking on your original statement that there's "nothing to suggest he'll be better than the Glazers".

Last edited:

croadyman

I don't recall the Glazer polluting the country though or screwing an entire generation up by backing Brexit to keep racking profit. On football terms they both hire their mates in their business ahead of meritocracy. TBF I don't recall the Glazers hiring a bicycle guru as director of sport. I mean Brailsford's experience in football makes Murtough and Fletcher look like Clough and SAF respectively.

TBF towards Ratcliffe he kept Nice out of debt and he did invest some of his own money into the club. Not much but something. That's a plus for him. His aim with Nice is European qualification which is more or less what the Glazers aim with us. Both simply lack the funds to make United competitive and both pride of having a business approach of things ahead of passion. Ratcliffe does claim to be a United fan although he is a Chelsea season ticket holder and he tried to buy Chelsea as well. I guess this loyalty is within the lines of him being a proud UK citizen despite polluting it and avoiding paying taxes there.

Some people seem to minimise how much United will cost + how much investment it needs not only to put things right but also to keep competing with the Abu Dhabi/Dubai guys. Now if you say that you're happy to end up a top 6 club (or maybe even worse) as long as the club doesn't get owned by the ME sheiks then I respect that. I disagree with it but I respect that. But don't tell me that a guy who can't make Nice compete in a two horse race and can't even manage a Swiss team to success will be able to manage United. FFS the guy place a very late bid for Chelsea just hours before the preferred bidder was selected. His argument for Raine to consider his bid was 'we are British bla bla bla'. Very serious buyer indeed.
Yeah Brailsford appointment and hearing Ratcliffe say he's his right hand man has totally put me off him buying the club

Son

This guy is not our saviour. He and his company are using our name to further their reputation in the ga

He is using our brand to get some interest in his sporting project but can barely afford to not only buy us but also put in place a new stadium and everything else that goes with improving the club.

He won’t buy Manchester United so I don’t get why there is this huge clamouring. Is it because he’s English? He’s not a United fan either.

croadyman

This guy is not our saviour. He and his company are using our name to further their reputation in the ga

He is using our brand to get some interest in his sporting project but can barely afford to not only buy us but also put in place a new stadium and everything else that goes with improving the club.

He won’t buy Manchester United so I don’t get why there is this huge clamouring. Is it because he’s English? He’s not a United fan either.
Yeah definitely not our saviour

Gandalf

I never said he wasn't a businessman who will want the club to be financially successful, but that doesn't mean he's going to take dividends out every year. You seem to have realised that now by backtracking on your original statement that there's "nothing to suggest he'll be better than the Glazers".
I backtracked on nothing, he could be better he could be worse. What is a fact is that he does not have 6bn in cash to buy the club which you said he did and he is not going to donate hundreds of millions of pounds of his own money to wipe out the debt which you also claimed he would. You are in love with a narrative that exists entirely in your head and you don't want to hear any negativity regardless of how tenous your grip on reality is.