Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

crossy1686

career ending
It seems like I want the total opposite to you.

I want OT to be accessible for all. Match day/non match day going fans. The amount of times I give up going to games because I feel bad to have to leave the rest of the family home. When I go games, it's a whole day thing due to travel time.

I want to be able to go and watch the match, whilst the rest of the family can be entertained, whether that's shopping, eating, etc.

Have you seen the facilities on offer at places like Sofi stadium? Heck, even the training facilities over at Dallas Cowboys.

Old Trafford should no longer be about just the match day goers, it's about their families, too. This is one way to keep the new generation coming through the door.
There's loads to do in the City Centre and the Trafford Centre, they will both have major objections to any kind of facilities being built at OT I would imagine. They're only down the road.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel

I want OT to be accessible for all. Match day/non match day going fans. The amount of times I give up going to games because I feel bad to have to leave the rest of the family home. When I go games, it's a whole day thing due to travel time.

I want to be able to go and watch the match, whilst the rest of the family can be entertained, whether that's shopping, eating, etc.

Have you seen the facilities on offer at places like Sofi stadium? Heck, even the training facilities over at Dallas Cowboys.

Old Trafford should no longer be about just the match day goers, it's about their families, too. This is one way to keep the new generation coming through the door.
maybe just leave your family go shopping & meet them after the match in a restaurant or something

Bert_

The “state” of Old Trafford is always vastly overstated, you’d think it looked like the San Siro, or worse still, the Camp Nou or old Wembley the way some people bang on :lol:
It’s still better than 95% of stadiums out there. I personally think it needs renovations more to maximise revenues than this urgent need some make out.
More seats, more shopping, genuine restaurants, better hospitality, better entertainment pre and post match etc.
Inside it's run down. Not surprising as it's exactly the same as it was 20 odd years ago!

The tightly packed seating needs sorting too. If you need to go for a slash and you're not sat in the aisle then you better hope the folks sat in your row have an incrediblely low BMI!

Steve Bruce

I spend 2-3 hours a week at the ground. I’m not there to recline and have grapes hand fed into my mouth I’m there to watch football, it’s not a major problem.
I'm 6ft2 not particularly tall but I try and get an aisle seat so I can sit sideways or my knees are pressed against the seat in front of me. By the time I get out of the ground I've big indents and I have pain for hours after. So I don't go as often as I would like as a consequence

I go to Windsor park to watch linfield and it's 10 times more comfortable. Windsor Park should never be better than Old Trafford in any way but it's a far more comfortable stadium and that includes the old part of the stadium that was built in 86

JB7

Sorry what :lol:

Am I living in an alternate world where Salford Quays isn’t a 15/20 minute walk away and the city centre isn’t a 15 minute tram ride away?

In what world does taking the family outside the ground for food instead of taking them into the ground for the match “keep the next generation coming through the door”?

crossy1686

career ending
Inside it's run down. Not surprising as it's exactly the same as it was 20 odd years ago!

The tightly packed seating needs sorting too. If you need to go for a slash and you're not sat in the aisle then you better hope the folks sat in your row have an incrediblely low BMI!
I bet you go to bars that haven't changed their decor in more than 30 years and you're fine with it.

OT needs some work but 'not having work done for 20 years so tear it down' isn't a valid argument for spending a billion quid. It's better than most grounds, take yourself to Everton away for example.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I bet you go to bars that haven't changed their decor in more than 30 years and you're fine with it.

OT needs some work but 'not having work done for 20 years so tear it down' isn't a valid argument for spending a billion quid. It's better than most grounds, take yourself to Everton away for example.
Everton is a poor example as they are building a brand new state of the art stadium to replace Goodison. That’s the kind of proactivity our club sadly misses.
It’s doesn’t have to be a brand new ground, but OT needs investment and whatever happens it ain’t gonna come cheap.

crossy1686

career ending
Everton is a poor example as they are building a brand new state of the art stadium to replace Goodison. That’s the kind of proactivity our club sadly misses.
It’s doesn’t have to be a brand new ground, but OT needs investment and whatever happens it ain’t gonna come cheap.
My point stands as they badly need it, the stadium is shite and OT is no where near that level of shite. We could go another 50 years of an untouched OT before we look like Everton.

OT isn't getting rebuilt anyway, unless they can't expand it currently and they think they can pack out a 100,000 stadium every week and increase revenue.

Sushi Kagawa

The seat space is the biggest issue with OT... its actually a joke and needs sorting even if it means less capacity

Nar, Everton’s a great example, as is Camp Nou, the San Siro.

These places are absolute shit holes that pretty much need blowing up and starting again.
Old Trafford is a little dated is all, but 3 of the stands were completely rebuilt in the past 30 years.

This is how OT looked when I had my first ST.

Plant0x84

My point stands as they badly need it, the stadium is shite and OT is no where near that level of shite. We could go another 50 years of an untouched OT before we look like Everton.

OT isn't getting rebuilt anyway, unless they can't expand it currently and they think they can pack out a 100,000 stadium every week and increase revenue.
The thing is, whether you think it’s an utter shite hole (it’s not) or if you think it’s fine as it is - nobody could argue OT is the best in the country anymore and it should be. It’s what we all want - our stadium, the home of our club to be the best in class right on the cutting edge. It’s not acceptable to have the media and ex-players bad mouthing the stadium in the press even if they do over-egg it a bit.
And for what it’s worth, we would easily sellout a 100k stadium week in and week out. The demand for match tickets is part of the reason why the boycott protest movement against the Glazers has been such a failure.

Plant0x84

These places are absolute shit holes that pretty much need blowing up and starting again.
Old Trafford is a little dated is all, but 3 of the stands were completely rebuilt in the past 30 years.

That’s a great picture!

crossy1686

career ending
The thing is, whether you think it’s an utter shite hole (it’s not) or if you think it’s fine as it is - nobody could argue OT is the best in the country anymore and it should be. It’s what we all want - our stadium, the home of our club to be the best in class right on the cutting edge. It’s not acceptable to have the media and ex-players bad mouthing the stadium in the press even if they do over-egg it a bit.
And for what it’s worth, we would easily sellout a 100k stadium week in and week out. The demand for match tickets is part of the reason why the boycott protest movement against the Glazers has been such a failure.
The point in bold is completely and utterly irrelevant. No one is sitting around and arguing about how great our stadium is while City and Liverpool are winning titles, its zero consolation to have a shiny new stadium when you've winning feck all.

The media can get to feck also. They get to watch football for a living, and get paid for it, we shouldn't be pandering to those wankers to the tune of £1b because they want heated seats and free wifi.

Slysi17

The point in bold is completely and utterly irrelevant. No one is sitting around and arguing about how great our stadium is while City and Liverpool are winning titles, its zero consolation to have a shiny new stadium when you've winning feck all.

The media can get to feck also. They get to watch football for a living, and get paid for it, we shouldn't be pandering to those wankers to the tune of £1b because they want heated seats and free wifi.
How old are you? Having wifi at stadiums or any place is pretty standard. We are in 2022 and not the 1940s

crossy1686

career ending
How old are you? Having wifi at stadiums or any place is pretty standard. We are in 2022 and not the 1940s
36 but I don't see how that's relevant. What do you need free wifi for when you're watching the football? I get the impression that some people in here don't go to the football for the actual football and you'd rather be doing something else.

Also the media have free wifi, albeit they only got it in the last 10 years, which they moaned about all the time.

JB7

I don't know mate, there's probably not enough to do in the City Centre, Trafford Centre and Salford Quays for 2 hours.
Maybe we should relocate Old Trafford to Orlando so the families can choose between Disney World and Universal Studios for an afternoons entertainment?

Slysi17

36 but I don't see how that's relevant. What do you need free wifi for when you're watching the football? I get the impression that some people in here don't go to the football for the actual football and you'd rather be doing something else.

Also the media have free wifi, albeit they only got it in the last 10 years, which they moaned about all the time.
Not having a go here at all. I mean what about half time if you want to quickly check your emails. No football is played at half time and it's around a 15 minute break.

crossy1686

career ending
Not having a go here at all. I mean what about half time if you want to quickly check your emails. No football is played at half time and it's around a 15 minute break.
I know you're not and I'm not being arsey either but you're fecking emails can wait two hours mate. It's the weekend and you're out with mates or family watching the game, just switch off for a bit and enjoy yourself instead of having to check the internet.

I can never get a signal at OT during the game anyway, don't know if anyone else has that issue but no one could contact me even if they wanted too during the game.
Think that’s why people want wifi in fairnes, due to signal issues when 75,000 people are in the same arena.
As I say, I’d prefer they blocked all signals to the outside World when the match is on, or have snipers atop the stands loaded with tranquillisers for anyone filming during the game.

crossy1686

career ending
Ok. I get the whole going to watch football thing. It's just standard and wouldn't be that expensive.
Managing a wifi network that can handle 75,000 devices at once is expensive and a pain in the arse to maintain, not to mention, totally unsecured for those connected. Don't ever type passwords, update your phone or buy something on a network like that, which many people will do and get all their data stolen.

Slysi17

I know you're not and I'm not being arsey either but you're fecking emails can wait two hours mate. It's the weekend and you're out with mates or family watching the game, just switch off for a bit and enjoy yourself instead of having to check the internet.
Oh mate that's understandable. To be honest people are their phones too much probably. Regarding the renovation or build a new stadium i have no clue. Unfortunately I have never been to Old Trafford because I just haven't had the money due to being in shit paid jobs after getting a degree. Plus I live in New Zealand. Really expensive to visit

Bert_

It's a lot more than the decor that's an issue. Not advocating tearing it down at all but at a minimum it's going to need a lot of work to bring it up to scratch.

And Goodison is a low bar to set :lol:. Been there a few times and can see why they are tearing that oversized shed down!

crossy1686

career ending
Oh mate that's understandable. To be honest people are their phones too much probably. Regarding the renovation or build a new stadium i have no clue. Unfortunately I have never been to Old Trafford because I just haven't had the money due to being in shit paid jobs after getting a degree. Plus I live in New Zealand. Really expensive to visit
Get yourself down to a league cup game or something when the tickets are cheap and check it out for yourself. It's a good stadium and it feels like it's steeped in history. You lose all that with a new build, which is why personally I prefer it if they just upgraded what we have where they can. Expand and sort the seating out, fix the roof etc.

crossy1686

career ending
It's a lot more than the decor that's an issue. Not advocating tearing it down at all but at a minimum it's going to need a lot of work to bring it up to scratch.

And Goodison is a low bar to set :lol:. Been there a few times and can see why they are tearing that oversized shed down!
:lol: Goodison is grim. I remember the first time I went and I honestly thought it was comparable to Oldham.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm not too fussed about the new fan match day experience. But bigger tread patterns and larger seating is hardly asking for a Sofi Stadium. Increased leg space, good acoustics and roof that allows views of all the stands from anywhere should be the aim.

Slysi17

Get yourself down to a league cup game or something when the tickets are cheap and check it out for yourself. It's a good stadium and it feels like it's steeped in history. You lose all that with a new build, which is why personally I prefer it if they just upgraded what we have where they can. Expand and sort the seating out, fix the roof etc.
Well I am halfway through a 2nd degree. Hopefully I get a good paid job and I am planning to live in Europe for a bit. I just have had rotten luck and always been in low paid jobs. Its really expensive to save up because New Zealand is so far away.

clarkydaz

muddy pitches :drool:

Gavinb33

The picture you've put there is the reason why knocking it down and building it in the same place isn't exactly the worst idea.

it's already happened bar one stand, which coincidentally is the one stand they'd look to knock down and rebuild so really knocking it down and rebuilding it has already happened to most stands.

I am lucky in ST2 we stand all game but if I had to sit all game in some of the other stands I'd have sciatica by 90 minutes and I am not the tallest person in the world.

As for posters saying it's not as bad as x ground it's not a race to the bottom, we need to set the standard that's what this club has done for years well not for 13 of them but you get what I mean.

Plant0x84

You’ve missed the point of my post completely.

red thru&thru

There's loads to do in the City Centre and the Trafford Centre, they will both have major objections to any kind of facilities being built at OT I would imagine. They're only down the road.
This always sounds great in practice, however, have you ever experienced the traffic after the game? It's manic. I'd rather be able to stay in the same complex and let things die down a little. Especially on rainy days...which is a plenty in Manchester! :lol: