Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

TheReligion

Abusive
I specifically said that he would not. It will be an investment under the Ineos umbrella and in that case no dofferent than being bought by investors from America or India or anywhere else for that matter. On the specific subject of Jim though, along with being a notorious tease with limited follow through he has made a total shiteshow of the other sporting assests he has bought and so my initial feelings are that it would be out of the frying pan and into the fire with him.
Has he saddled them with debt, failed to invest and taken millions from each club?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Surely it takes at least a basic level of competence to escape Oldham, let alone go on to become the UKs richest man and head a company worth £60bn?

Out of interest how has he/Ineos faired with other investments, sporting and non sporting? They own or sponsor various sports teams do they not?

Comparisons with the Glazers, who for periods of time propped up their failing retail businesses with their sports franchises seems unfair.
I am referring to football mate. From that post he seem to have no idea on how to run a football club.

phelans shorts

I specifically said that he would not. It will be an investment under the Ineos umbrella and in that case no dofferent than being bought by investors from America or India or anywhere else for that matter. On the specific subject of Jim though, along with being a notorious tease with limited follow through he has made a total shiteshow of the other sporting assests he has bought and so my initial feelings are that it would be out of the frying pan and into the fire with him.
Is that the Mercedes formula one team (a period of dominance not seen since Ferrari with Michael Schumacher)? Or the cycling team (unprecedented levels of dominance)?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have no idea whether he'd be the best option, as I have no idea what his plans for the club would be as compared to those of god knows what other potential buyers are interested.

But in a context where I fear us being owned by a state directly involved in human right violations, he at least passes the very low morality threshold I have in mind.

Until we hear the actual plans for the club any potential buyers have in mind, that morality issue is central and the more interested parties we have who pass it the better.

Vapor trail

It is not a popular opinion but unless you actually want an oil state an American Investment group is probably our best bet.

The only owners not motivated by profit will be oil states and so with that in mind is Ratcliffe a better bet than any other investment group?
I have to agree with this, the difference is they (UAE) will likely appoint people in the right places and get the best individuals to support the clubs executive operations and rebuild the infrastructure.

I am referring to football mate. From that post he seem to have no idea on how to run a football club.
There’s posts all over the internet calling Laporta a genius, I’d take internet posts with a pinch of salt.
Nice aren’t saddled with debt and aren’t much different to when they took control of it.
The Swiss team have spent much of the past two decades in the second flight, not sure how that reflects so badly on INEOS.

Manchester United simply aren’t Nice, we are in some aspects the biggest club in the World, we make a lot of money & have a shit tonne more potential than Nice.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There’s posts all over the internet calling Laporta a genius, I’d take internet posts with a pinch of salt.
Nice aren’t saddled with debt and aren’t much different to when they took control of it.
The Swiss team have spent much of the past two decades in the second flight, not sure how that reflects so badly on INEOS.

Manchester United simply aren’t Nice, we are in some aspects the biggest club in the World, we make a lot of money & have a shit tonne more potential than Nice.
I think that not being saddled in debt is the minimum at this point. You'll also expect the club to improve as well. It doesn't seem that Ratcliffe had made much of a difference at these two clubs.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not concerned with how they allegedly run the clubs but more concerned with debt? Strange
No. You specifically said ‘British Glazers’. Not me. You.

So tell us..

Has he saddled each club with debt, invested no money and taken millions out for himself? Or not?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
No. You specifically said ‘British Glazers’. Not me. You.

So tell us..

Has he saddled each club with debt, invested no money and taken millions out for himself? Or not?
It’s not one and all for fecks sake. I already highlighted how i believe they sound like glazers both with the reddit post and by the very tweet where it said that Ratcliffe prefers to focus on “business” over “passion” aka it sounds very much like Glazers.

How can you not understand that. Why are you saying that everything has to be a carbon copy?

You’re the one with the hard on for Ratcliffe not me

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
why is it so hard to understand that many people just don't want to see United become yet another sportswashing project for an oil state?
Question was who is better (for the club). I think that oil state would be better. Or in other words, they would run club better.

That, what you are talking about, is a different story. Which i fully understand

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s not one and all for fecks sake. I already highlighted how i believe they sound like glazers both with the reddit post and by the very tweet where it said that Ratcliffe prefers to focus on “business” over “passion” aka it sounds very much like Glazers.

How can you not understand that. Why are you saying that everything has to be a carbon copy?

You’re the one with the hard on for Ratcliffe not me
I don’t have a hard on for Ratcliffe you odd ball.

You made the stupid comment based on some disgruntled Nice fans from Reddit.

SirAF

Ageist
Question was who is better (for the club). I think that oil state would be better. Or in other words, they would run club better.

That, what you are talking about, is a different story. Which i fully understand
Totally agree, on both counts.

Why on Earth are you going from thread to thread citing one post from fecking reddit of all places man? :lol:

You’re acting as though these words came directly from some deity man.

Loads of Barca fans, and I mean thousands, think Laporta is a genius, most of us think he’s a moron. It’s footy fans innit? Most think they know better and Nice fans are likely no different.

Infestissumam

fair enough. Guess I'm just frustrated how becoming another oil club is still on the table and how that genuinely excites some people on here.

It’s depressing, isn’t it
That so many wouldn’t just welcome it, they actively desperately want it, is incredibly depressing.

I’d struggle for the rest of eternity to think anything we did from then on holds any kind of significance or is any kind of achievement, but that’s me. I think City & PsG are soulless play things, we’d be no better.

Last edited:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I don’t have a hard on for Ratcliffe you odd ball.

You made the stupid comment based on some disgruntled Nice fans from Reddit.
No I made the comment based on this tweet:

Which if you ask me sounds very Glazer Like!

phelans shorts

That so many wouldn’t just welcome it, they actively desperately want it, is incredibly depressing.

I’d struggle for the rest of eternity to think anything we did from then on holds any kind of significance or is any kind of achievement, but that’s me. I think City & PsG are soulless play things, we’d be no better.
Yeah, I’ve major doubts that I’d be able to keep my passion going if it were to happen, like you say it would all be so meaningless.

I can cope with us not competing, I’ve not lost that spark for the last decade like, but that would be too far

TheReligion

Abusive
No I made the comment based on this tweet:

Which if you ask me sounds very Glazer Like!
As per the below..

Sounds like a smart bloke, don’t want.

Give me Michael Knighton, he’s a passion first kind of guy.
just sounds like a sane businessman to me.
So he’s a businessman. Like every other businessman.

Colour me shocked

Yeah, I’ve major doubts that I’d be able to keep my passion going if it were to happen, like you say it would all be so meaningless.

I can cope with us not competing, I’ve not lost that spark for the last decade like, but that would be too far
Ditto mate.

For example, plenty of people think City getting Pep & Haaland is somehow impressive or a “coup” even, a sign of good ownership, when I see it as simply inevitable, nothing about it is even slightly impressive.
Make people rich beyond their wildest imaginations and they will dance monkey dance for as long as you want them to.
Do that, and like City & PSG, you’ll buy pure dominance…. And?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Sounds like a smart bloke, don’t want.

Give me Michael Knighton, he’s a passion first kind of guy.
just sounds like a sane businessman to me.
So he’s a businessman. Like every other businessman.

Colour me shocked
As per the below..
.....& yet we've spent the last 17 years berating the Glazers for not putting money into the club when they were doing well and getting Top 4 and having the money trickle over and do well and not pump more money in because it makes good business sense. Rather than pump money into the club because they're passionate about the club.

I don't see how running the club as a "business" and not as a "Football Club" has a happy ending. We've seen how the club run as a business works and it's got us to where we are today. Largely shite for the last 17 years.