Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

DevilRed

This guy never had the financial means to pull it off.

Even if he somehow did, it wouldn't leave much for future investment.

A magnitude of this kind of deal would require state funds or Fortune 500 type money.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
This guy never had the financial means to pull it off.

Even if he somehow did, it wouldn't leave much for future investment.

A magnitude of this kind of deal would require state funds or Fortune 500 type money.
Can we be bought by INEOS given he's the chairman? They'd have enough for us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
£5B is not overpaying, when you consider what Chelsea went for.

And, concentrating on Nice, several weeks ago, has nothing to do with the situation unfolding this week.
It's not just the £5bn or £6bn to buy the club , but to buy the club and then spend another 2 to 3 billion upgrading the stadium and infrastructure.

croadyman

Ratcliffe ain’t the guy. The sooner he rules himself out the better and we can move on to the serious players.
Yeah I don't think so either because there are prospective buyers who will happy pay asking price and blow him away

Strootman's Finger

Ratcliffe was a appealing when there was no suggestion the club was actually for sale and he was going to take it upon himself to force one. In that situation, Ratcliffe is better than the Glazers. Now the situation is different, the club is up for sale, and there will be tons of interested parties and probably a bidding war. Now we'll have options, and some of those options will give us a better chance of competing with City, Chelsea, Newcastle.

Same idea as when Ole was sacked and people were willing to hire Rodgers and Lopetagui in Nov, but once we were approaching the end of the season and looking at options we aimed much higher.

darioterios

Why is their ownership track record at Nice being waved away? Why shouldn't it be a potential concern?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He definitely puts his name to all these club takeovers for PR purposes. He's not a serious bidder in my opinion.

It's going to be American again or Middle Eastern money.

It's not just the £5bn or £6bn to buy the club , but to buy the club and then spend another 2 to 3 billion upgrading the stadium and infrastructure.
Madrid are spending 700m dollars on their renovations, no way in a million years is anyone sinking 2-3 billion on OT & infrastructure man. That’s pie in the sky stuff that even oil money wouldn’t spend.

croadyman

I have to wonder if those saying Radcliffe doesn’t have the means to takeover are confusing him with Knighton. It’s seems odd that so many are suddenly against him when he was our darling a few months back.
Yeah because like the poster above just said we thought he's the only option but now the club is up for sale there are more appealing buyers interested

GJNJ

He definitely puts his name to all these club takeovers for PR purposes. He's not a serious bidder in my opinion.

It's going to be American again or Middle Eastern money.
It doesn’t add up that he made a bit for Chelsea after the bid deadline, so late that they had already named a preferred bidder. Seems like attention seeking.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Madrid are spending 700m dollars on their renovations, no way in a million years is anyone sinking 2-3 billion on OT & infrastructure man. That’s pie in the sky stuff that even oil money wouldn’t spend.
I'm not saying it's going to cost in excess of 2 billion, but rather the reports state that the cost could exceed 2 billion. And I doubt Ratcliffe has the capital to beat out the competition to buy Man Utd.

Last edited:

croadyman

I'm not saying it's going to cost in excess of 2 billion, but rather the reports state that a the cost could exceed 2 billion. And I doubt Ratcliffe has the capital to beat out the competition to buy Man Utd.
Totally agree there are gonna be some serious players willing to come to the table now

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think that's more money than he has altogether.

In any case, I was responding to your post. Now you've moved the goalposts.
Tbh with you, we have to factor in the infrastructure cost and clearing the debt on top of what the Glazers want for their shares.

Dion

I'm not saying it's going to cost in excess of 2 billion, but rather the reports state that the cost could exceed 2 billion. And I doubt Ratcliffe has the capital to beat out the competition to buy Man Utd.
There are limits to what you could do and how quickly you could do it, unless someone came in and immediately bought up new land for a new stadium and training ground and started building from scratch it wouldn't be possible to spend £2bn in a short time frame. You're looking at a billion, including investment in the squad, if we're talking upgrading current facilities and not total rebuilds at new locations.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Totally agree there are gonna be some serious players willing to come to the table now
I'm of a similar opinion to Gary Neville and think we should look to build a new 90,000 seater stadium. And for that to be a realistic possibility, we need major investment which will also need to be need to filter down to the recruitment side of the club.

croadyman

I'm of a similar opinion to Gary Neville and think we should look to build a new 90,000 seater stadium. And for that to be a realistic possibility, we need major investment which will also need to be need to filter down to the recruitment side of the club.
Which potential buyers would you class as major investment just out of interest

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There are limits to what you could do and how quickly you could do it, unless someone came in and immediately bought up new land for a new stadium and training ground and started building from scratch it wouldn't be possible to spend £2bn in a short time frame. You're looking at a billion, including investment in the squad, if we're talking upgrading current facilities and not total rebuilds at new locations.
I don't personally care how long it takes, as long as the plans are put in place to upgrade the club to a very high standard. We've waited a long time to see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as the current owners are concerned, I'm sure we can be patient and see the possible development unfold in the next 5 years or so.

How much do you see us sold for then,that figure includes renovations by the way
Yeah and you’re talking about some nonsensical 2-3 bn in renovations.
Madrid have costed their renovations at 700m dollars, Spurs got an entire new stadium in London for 1bn.
Leicester recently built a state of the art training facility for 100m quid.

I think we could feasibly get bought for 5.5bn with 1.5bn max being spent on stadium and training infrastructure, more likely that figure would be capped at 1bn.

So a 6.5bn investment is my guess as to what any potential new owner is looking at.

Last edited:

Dion

I don't personally care how long it takes, as long as the plans are put in place to upgrade the club to a very high standard. We've waited a long time to see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as the current owners are concerned, I'm sure we can be patient and see the development unfold in the next 5 years or so.
That the time frame I'm talking about, there's not actually that much to a football club outside of the squad to pump money into. Once you've upgraded the facilities you're basically waiting for technology to make a significant leap to upgrade again. That limits the up front investment required when you buy it pretty heavily. Anyone who can promise a billion in investment over 5-10 years will have more than enough to get us back up to speed.

croadyman

Probably unrealistic, but I'd be intrigued to see what Apple could do with the club.
That is dream one but realistically my first choice would be Ortega,could buy us as a legacy for his family as he's 86. Apparently this Ambani guy worth around $90bn is shady to say the least.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ortega looks one of the most unlikely options really. Apple more realistic at this point. Especially with the denials from Spain.

alexthelion

to me a known face is better than an unknown face. An unknown face/unknown consortium has less accountability - the so far mentioned candidates are either US based or oil-based. I’d take Sir Jim over that in a heartbeat. Not saying he’s great, but I’m not happy to see a new US owner who doesnt care for anything else than money (and doesnt understand the inner workings of the club/sport) or a sportswashing enterprise. Surely a known face in this regard is good.
Would that be true if the known face had/has major questions over how they would run United?