Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

Spoony

The People's President
People who have been say different.

There's plenty of fans that say OT is cr*p. You can't please everyone.

It's probably a great stadium but aesthetically it's not a football stadium. I like the look of the the retro designed ball parks in the US. Miller Park for example.

Spoony

The People's President
In the States the tax payer heeds some of the stadium funding as not to lose the revenue from teams in that particular city or to lure a team from another city to play there, unsure how much if any California put in.

Also 2 teams play in that stadium currently so they get double revenue from Rams and Chargers.

I'd imagine the rest is from other events and such although how much that brings is anyone's guess, I am pretty sure Wrestlemania is upcoming at that stadium over 2 days so will be significant revenue from that
So it'd be completely out of the question here!

red thru&thru

It's probably a great stadium but aesthetically it's not a football stadium. I like the look of the the retro designed ball parks in the US. Miller Park for example.
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the exterior of SoFi, but I really do like how engaging it is and what it has to offer.

Big Andy

Bloke
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the exterior of SoFi, but I really do like how engaging it is and what it has to offer.
I read somewhere that the new Spurs Stadium has increased match day revenue of food/drink by a huge amount with the modern bars, food stalls, etc.

At OT you get some thick student taking 5 minutes to get a nuclear hot pie from the oven thing and it takes them ten minutes to pour a drink from a plastic bottle into a plastic cup and take your lid off you.

LordSpud

Can't you lot start a stadium thread and just let this one go until there's some actual news about SJR's bid?

Spoony

The People's President
Interior as well, red. It's lovely and symmetrical but it screams NFL. They've also done a similar one for the Vikings. But yeah I'm sure there's stuff in there that can be incorporated into English football grounds. Sight lines, bigger seats and legroom, improved acoustics and better concourses should be a given.

red thru&thru

I read somewhere that the new Spurs Stadium has increased match day revenue of food/drink by a huge amount with the modern bars, food stalls, etc.

At OT you get some thick student taking 5 minutes to get a nuclear hot pie from the oven thing and it takes them ten minutes to pour a drink from a plastic bottle into a plastic cup and take your lid off you.
This is what I mean. Just small things like this would make a massive difference to the match day experience. Some probably don't care, whereas others do. We should be offering the best at all levels, not just on the field.

red thru&thru

Interior as well, red. It's lovely and symmetrical but it screams NFL. They've also done a similar one for the Vikings. But yeah I'm sure there's stuff in there that can be incorporated into English football grounds. Sight lines, bigger seats and legroom, improved acoustics and better concourses should be a given.
100% agree.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Can we not take the stadium talk to a different thread??

Seems like this threads been turned into an Old Trafford redevelopment thread.

Spoony

The People's President
The exterior of the Lucas Oil stadium isn't great but the interior is fantastic. I'd love a contemporary industrial (?) style Old Trafford.

Last edited:

JB7

I mean unless you think the stadium will pay for itself or any owners in their right mind would build a whole new stadium that’s not attractive to non footballing events then yeah can’t see anything wrong with that idea.
I'm not in the new stadium camp but even if I was, I'd want it to be a stadium built for Manchester United rather than a stadium built in the hope of getting some potential "neutral events". I'm not sure why a stadium built to reflect the city it is built in would make it unattractive for neutral people wanting to host events.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
This is the strangest complaint I’ve ever read
I mean unless you think the stadium will pay for itself or any owners in their right mind would build a whole new stadium that’s not attractive to non footballing events then yeah can’t see anything wrong with that idea.
It’s not strange, it’s fecking realistic. Even renovated stadiums are done so with the aim of hosting other events, unless you know something all these guys spending billions of pounds don’t? Maybe drop them an email.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Build a Women's team stadium where the annoying car park is, share that for a couple of years whilst OT is rebuilt on the current site?

A lot of work and means a couple of seasons playing in a 10-20k stadium but we don't have a lot of options.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
To be fair a discussion about the stadium holds more relevance than Jim seriously bidding for us because one of them is possible and the other is make believe.
Not in the same fecking thread though.

Ratcliffe certainly has more of a chance of bidding for United than a new stadium in my opinion.

phelans shorts

Agreed, I thought Chelsea’s looked superb too so I’m not adverse to brickwork & an industrial look, the arches especially gave it a colosseum feel but this just looks meh to me.
I mean, I don’t think anyone is saying to just lift that stadium and build it on Salford Quays, it’s just in the hypothetical of a new stadium (I’m far from convinced this is a necessity but alas) it’s a far better starting point than all of the crap identical soulless bowls that are getting built nowadays.

I mean, I don’t think anyone is saying to just lift that stadium and build it on Salford Quays, it’s just in the hypothetical of a new stadium (I’m far from convinced this is a necessity but alas) it’s a far better starting point than all of the crap identical soulless bowls that are getting built nowadays.
Absolutely, I liked the idea/look of the new Stamford Bridge for exactly that reason.

Still think a refurb results in us having a much cooler & unique stadium.

Chipper

Adulterer.
This one would suit the Manchester industrial heritage and look/feel

I like that. The aesthetics remind me a little of Manchester Central Arena, which of course was once railway station.

I hereby propose we buy the arena, move it brick by brick, widen it out and put it on stilts.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm on board with this but how do you see the augmented and virtual reality fitting in? I can see a future where people can VR into the stadium as if they are there in the stands but that doesn't mean much if you are actually there.

AR could be interesting. Getting live stats, replays, ball tracers etc whilst you watch in the stands. Surely that would mean everyone has to be wearing some kind of headset though?

I'd also hate it with a passion and moan about it constantly! Then again I despair every time broadcasters overlay tables of random stats onto their feed so I'm probably just being a miserable sod! It's going to be the future ain't it :nervous:
I suggested the other day that potentially people could buy a digital subscription and get a ticket to watch by VR a live match, from the comfort of your own home hundreds/thousands of miles away. This would be an amazing way to cash in on all of those millions of digital only fans. Part of your subscription could be watching youth matches, womens matches, VR tours of the stadium, watching clips of old matches, reading digital match programmes etc. could be a massive money spinner