Six new incomings! Who will they be?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Kristoffer Ajer just scored the winner for Celtic there. He seems to be progressing well and OGS wanted him at Molde. Apparently there was a spat when Ole said he only went to Celtic for the money but this was a couple of years ago now. Ajer is promising but far from the finished article and if Ole stays for a while I can see him being a target.

wolvored

I think if Ole isnt sacked then Woody will do his usual trick of probably chasing Sancho all summer even though we wont be in the Ch Lge, and he will sign for someone else. We will probably get Edouard from Celtic or Dembele from Lyon as a striker and one or two from Norwich/Brighton/Bournemouth or championship, along with a couple of youth players. Grealish and Maddison will be deemed too expensive. Leicester will probably hold out for £90 million and Villa £70 million. Woody will then say we were holding out for Sancho so had to keep the money and anyway we have signed 4/5 players.
On the other hand if we have a new manager I can see the chequebook being a bit freer and 2-3 big name players coming, whoever the new manager wants. There will still be no sign of a DOF.

wolvored

Sell Pogba and we will have half of the money for 6
If we got £80-100 mill for Pogba, it would take all or nearly all getting an able replacement. No way would Utd buy 3 quality players for £30 million apiece

Fox outside the box

I think if Ole isnt sacked then Woody will do his usual trick of probably chasing Sancho all summer even though we wont be in the Ch Lge, and he will sign for someone else. We will probably get Edouard from Celtic or Dembele from Lyon as a striker and one or two from Norwich/Brighton/Bournemouth or championship, along with a couple of youth players. Grealish and Maddison will be deemed too expensive. Leicester will probably hold out for £90 million and Villa £70 million. Woody will then say we were holding out for Sancho so had to keep the money and anyway we have signed 4/5 players.
On the other hand if we have a new manager I can see the chequebook being a bit freer and 2-3 big name players coming, whoever the new manager wants. There will still be no sign of a DOF.
What a rambling mess, one of the real shames about the internet is that any idiot can just vomit rubbish and feel entitled to do so. Just a big hypothetical, ad-hominem attack that gives zero insight, zero debate, zero points to actually discuss. Just a long, useless statwment

wolvored

What a rambling mess, one of the real shames about the internet is that any idiot can just vomit rubbish and feel entitled to do so. Just a big hypothetical, ad-hominem attack that gives zero insight, zero debate, zero points to actually discuss. Just a long, useless statwment
Bit like you have just done then. :lol:. Lets see what word shite you think will happen then, and see who is nearer to the truth come the summer.

RyRy11

If we got £80-100 mill for Pogba, it would take all or nearly all getting an able replacement. No way would Utd buy 3 quality players for £30 million apiece
We should be getting £120m minimum for him in the current market

RyRy11

Don’t really think we need 6 signings (although 6 would be welcome). Assuming a Pogba leaves we need at least 4.

In order of importance:

1) RW - would absolutely love Sancho like most would but I don’t see it happening regardless of if we get CL.
2) AM - Grealish the obvious candidate here and I can can see us getting him for under £70m.
3) CDM - not really clued in on who we are linked to in this position but we are crying out for our own Kanté/Fernandinho/Fabinho.

Dependant on who is available:

4) ST - can’t really see us breaking the bank for a world class striker so someone who can bring a different option off the bench. Maybe an experienced player that can bring some leadership up top.
5) LB - Shaw isn’t the long term option so an upgrade in this position is overdue.
6) CB - Lindelof is a walking mistake in 90% of games, we could easily improve upon him.

croadyman

Don’t really think we need 6 signings (although 6 would be welcome). Assuming a Pogba leaves we need at least 4.

In order of importance:

1) RW - would absolutely love Sancho like most would but I don’t see it happening regardless of if we get CL.
2) AM - Grealish the obvious candidate here and I can can see us getting him for under £70m.
3) CDM - not really clued in on who we are linked to in this position but we are crying out for our own Kanté/Fernandinho/Fabinho.

Dependant on who is available:

4) ST - can’t really see us breaking the bank for a world class striker so someone who can bring a different option off the bench. Maybe an experienced player that can bring some leadership up top.
5) LB - Shaw isn’t the long term option so an upgrade in this position is overdue.
6) CB - Lindelof is a walking mistake in 90% of games, we could easily improve upon him.
That is pretty much the order than I would go for too but would possibly swap round CDM and ST, ideally we sign both in the summer but knowing how tight our board has been these past windows and obsessed with a low net spend then don't hold your breath on them doing that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  • Grealish - £50m
  • Sancho/Chiesa/Werner (not a RW, but would be the alternative I go for and we figure it out) - £100m
  • (Maybe) Striker (depth, target man with technique) - <£40m
Rashford - Martial - Sancho
McTominay - Bruno
Fred
Shaw - Maguire - Smalling - Wan Bissaka
De Gea

James - Target man - Greenwood
Garner - Grealish
Matic
Williams - Lindelof - Bailly/Tuanzebe - Dalot
Romero/Henderson​

This would be the best balance IMO, while being very realistic. Defence we have good straight replacements for each player, even if we are lacking a bit creatively at fullback. Realistically it isnt changing. Goalkeeper we're fine of course.

Midfield we always start 2 out of Fred, Grealish and Bruno as the #6 and #10. McTominay or Matic the physical, defensive presence between the 2 players. Garner completing the depth as a 6th midfield option. Gives options on the bench, enough creativity in the starting 11 and competition for places to cover for injuries.

Front 3 has a set starting 3 with Rashford, Sancho and Martial. Any injury and Greenwood comes in, or we start Grealish on the left and shuffle the other 2 around. Or rotate James on either wing. Target man striker like Giroud (as example) would be fine to have on the bench, but we just need to find someone reasonable and it isnt a desperate thing. Between Martial, Rashford (now with additional wing options so we can rotate him up top) and Greenwood a year older, we'll be ok IMO. Between Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Greenwood, there's more than enough goals in our main 4 attackers (plus with Bruno in midfield).

So really.. 2 signings would be good, provided they are the right ones. The 3rd would be a backup/bench striker, which Greenwood basically is (but a year older). Regardless of manager. Emergence of a few players like Fred this season really helps the squad building, but bringing in someone like Sancho and Grealish and then giving it half a season to see where we're at would be good.

Last edited:

RedNed77

In
Fernandes (already done)
Ighalo (Will be made permanent if he does ok, which I have a feeling he is going to)
Grealish
Maddison
Sancho
Dembele

Out
Martial (If we get Dembele and Ighalo does ok)
Pogba
Smalling (Permanent)
Matic
Lingard
Jones
Rojo (Permanent)
Grant
Henderson/Romero (Sadly)

Net Spend: Shit loads

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In
Bruno (done deal) - 55m
Sancho - 120m
Grealish - 70m

Total cost - 245m

Out
Pogba - 120m
Lingard - 15m
Matic - 10m
Rojo - 10m
Sanchez (to China maybe? Let's dream) - 0m

Total income - 155m

Net spending - 90m

Macedonian Red

DDG/Henderson
Wan bisaka/Dalot
Upamecano/Tuanzebe
Maguire/Lindelof

Renan Lodi/Wiliams
+ Baily and Shaw

McTominay/Matic
Neves/Fred
Bruno Fernandes
/Grealish

Sancho/
Greenwood
R. Jimenez/Martial
Rashford/James

What about this?

Out:
Pogba 100m
Smalling 20
Pereira 15
Lingard 15
Mata 10
Rojo 10
Jones 5

Net spend 250m.

sp_107

Are we blind folded by James Maddison and Grealish as both are having a great season and because of that missing any other top European targets for number 10 role?

Van Beek comes into my mind but you guys can think of any other ACM can be better than these 2 ?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
A club such as United should have two quality players for every position, of which probably 14-16 should be legitimate starting choices. You need this to create quality competition for places and compete on multiple fronts, as well as withstand the rigours of injury.

I see people talking about selling Martial if we bring in a striker. This should absolutely not be the case. We should be buying another striker of equal or greater quality to compete with him or supplant him. But he Can and should remain a valuable member of the squad. Right now, if fit, he is an automatic selection, and that is a problem for a players mentality.

The three main areas that need addressing in the summer are CB, RW and CF.

For CB Lindelof has proven enough to be a useful squad player, but he can and should be upgraded on. Smalling has resurrected his career in a second tier league and should stay there, Jones is Jones, and Rojo is done. Bailly has been largely shite and is hugely injury prone. Tuanzebe has big potential but has been injured too much. We need quality reinforcements and a partner for Maguire. A quality team is built on complimentary partnerships.

Options I like are Koulibaly for obvious reasons, quality and experience chiefly. But younger options that I am a big fan of are Badiashile and Upemecano.

For the right wing we need to introduce a consistent threat. James has been decent, and again has a bright future, but he’s a long way from being a regular starter for a title aspiring side. I think he has plenty to offer as a squad player and impact substitute. Lingard should be gone, and the curtain should be drawing on Mata’s Utd career.

The obvious, clear choice is Sancho. Just as good cutting inside as going out. Has so much going for him. Should be the marquee signing of the summer. Alternatives include Ousmane Dembele, who will likely be on the market this summer at a potentially competitive price point. The issue is his injury record, and despite his talent would represent a gamble.

Other less heralded options, but all of whom have both impressed and would be easier to sign, include Under, Chiesa, and Carlos Soler. The latter of whom is a different type of player to the others.

As for striker, we need someone who offers a different type of goal threat to Martial and is more active in running the channels and leading the line. I think Martial shines when coming from deeper, and is too often not providing a final ball option for the players around him.

To this end the stand out realistic candidates are probably Moussa Dembele, Timo Werner, and into the higher price bracket I really like Lautaro Martinez.

With the emergence of Fred, and avoiding a bother freak rash of injuries, I quite like our midfield options now Bruno has been added. I would happily add a hungry young player to that mix, like Bellingham. If Mata is moved out, I would replace him with a player like Grealish. Although I see no obvious pathway to the starting XI for him.

If Pogba leaves, we obviously have to replace him. I am not sold on the option of doing this with a number 10, like Maddison. I prefer to see Bruno with the license to be further forward and my preference would be for a true playmaking 8 or 6 to provide better balance to this midfield.

croadyman

A club such as United should have two quality players for every position, of which probably 14-16 should be legitimate starting choices. You need this to create quality competition for places and compete on multiple fronts, as well as withstand the rigours of injury.

I see people talking about selling Martial if we bring in a striker. This should absolutely not be the case. We should be buying another striker of equal or greater quality to compete with him or supplant him. But he Can and should remain a valuable member of the squad. Right now, if fit, he is an automatic selection, and that is a problem for a players mentality.

The three main areas that need addressing in the summer are CB, RW and CF.

For CB Lindelof has proven enough to be a useful squad player, but he can and should be upgraded on. Smalling has resurrected his career in a second tier league and should stay there, Jones is Jones, and Rojo is done. Bailly has been largely shite and is hugely injury prone. Tuanzebe has big potential but has been injured too much. We need quality reinforcements and a partner for Maguire. A quality team is built on complimentary partnerships.

Options I like are Koulibaly for obvious reasons, quality and experience chiefly. But younger options that I am a big fan of are Badiashile and Upemecano.

For the right wing we need to introduce a consistent threat. James has been decent, and again has a bright future, but he’s a long way from being a regular starter for a title aspiring side. I think he has plenty to offer as a squad player and impact substitute. Lingard should be gone, and the curtain should be drawing on Mata’s Utd career.

The obvious, clear choice is Sancho. Just as good cutting inside as going out. Has so much going for him. Should be the marquee signing of the summer. Alternatives include Ousmane Dembele, who will likely be on the market this summer at a potentially competitive price point. The issue is his injury record, and despite his talent would represent a gamble.

Other less heralded options, but all of whom have both impressed and would be easier to sign, include Under, Chiesa, and Carlos Soler. The latter of whom is a different type of player to the others.

As for striker, we need someone who offers a different type of goal threat to Martial and is more active in running the channels and leading the line. I think Martial shines when coming from deeper, and is too often not providing a final ball option for the players around him.

To this end the stand out realistic candidates are probably Moussa Dembele, Timo Werner, and into the higher price bracket I really like Lautaro Martinez.

With the emergence of Fred, and avoiding a bother freak rash of injuries, I quite like our midfield options now Bruno has been added. I would happily add a hungry young player to that mix, like Bellingham. If Mata is moved out, I would replace him with a player like Grealish. Although I see no obvious pathway to the starting XI for him.

If Pogba leaves, we obviously have to replace him. I am not sold on the option of doing this with a number 10, like Maddison. I prefer to see Bruno with the license to be further forward and my preference would be for a true playmaking 8 or 6 to provide better balance to this midfield.
Do you not think a proper DM/CM is a higher priority than a CB. I totally agree about the need for a RW & CF though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Do you not think a proper DM/CM is a higher priority than a CB. I totally agree about the need for a RW & CF though.
So, personally I prefer an inverted triangle if we play three in the middle. Fred sitting behind Pogba and Bruno. The physicality of Pogba and engine of Bruno is more than enough robustness in the middle. In a more defensive set up I’d perhaps play a diamond with Fred behind McTominay and Pogba, with Bruno in the hole.

If we sell Pogba then I think option is to either buy a true 8 to replace him, or push Fred up to the 8 role and bring in a true 6 to sit in front of the defence. An argument can be made that Fred is more effective when allowed to more aggressively press higher up the field. So tbh, I can go either way on it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Are we blind folded by James Maddison and Grealish as both are having a great season and because of that missing any other top European targets for number 10 role?

Van Beek comes into my mind but you guys can think of any other ACM can be better than these 2 ?
Probably the guy we actually just bought for that role from Sporting.

sp_107

Probably the guy we actually just bought for that role from Sporting.
The guy we bought in is best suited for number-8 according to his own words and from his ex-Coaches. That might be the reason we are more linked to players like Grealish and Maddison to fill in Number-10

sp_107

I dont think we need too many players if everyone is fit and a motivated Pogba.

------Rashford - Martial ---------

-------------Pogba----------------------

----Bruno--------------Fred-----------

--------------- McT ---------------------

---Shaw - Maguire - Baily ---AWB---

-------------------- De Gea--------------------

This team looks OK to me With Mason/Matic/James/Dalot/Williams/Lindelöf as backup.
If we bring in 2/3 quality players I think that would vastly improve our team.

Hanky panky

People forgot Sergej Milinkovic-Savic already? Pogba out, SMS in?

Bruno
SMS Fred/McTominay

reddevilchennai

People forgot Sergej Milinkovic-Savic already? Pogba out, SMS in?

Bruno
SMS Fred/McTominay
SMS is having two average seasons in a row. Apart from the 2017/2018 season, his game has not been so spectacular.
Saul is a better option when compared to SMS albeit costing 20m more.

Seven Seas Sardines

I dont think we need too many players if everyone is fit and a motivated Pogba.

------Rashford - Martial ---------

-------------Pogba----------------------

----Bruno--------------Fred-----------

--------------- McT ---------------------

---Shaw - Maguire - Baily ---AWB---

-------------------- De Gea--------------------

This team looks OK to me With Mason/Matic/James/Dalot/Williams/Lindelöf as backup.
If we bring in 2/3 quality players I think that would vastly improve our team.
I don't think we need too many players if we get Messi and Mbappe for free.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
A motivated Pogba? We've had about 12 top notch performances in 3 and half seasons and finished 6th twice with him fit most of those seasons.

This season we've barely had him and we're 3pts off 4th spot with one of our poorest ever PL squads.

lysglimt

Scout
As much as I like Villa, we should hope they get relegated because that will probably save us £20-30 million on Grealish.

The way i see it - if we start NeXT season With this team:

DDG, Romero (or a new 2-choice keeper if Romero leaves), Bishop - Shaw, Williams, Maguire, VL, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Dalot, AWB - Matic, Bruno, Fred, McT, Andreas P, Mata, Grealish, Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood, Ighalo and one more quality winger (Jones and Lingard to leave)

Regardless what People think of OGS - he will have worked miracles in turning a crap team into something with real potential. And if he is fired, he will have really set the table for whoever takes over.

TrustInOle

SMS is having two average seasons in a row. Apart from the 2017/2018 season, his game has not been so spectacular.
Saul is a better option when compared to SMS albeit costing 20m more.
Saul has been my dream midfielder for the last 18months now. Big game player.

Ddg
Awb...Upamecano....Maguire...Shaw
Fred.....Saul
Sancho.....Bruno....Rashford
Martial
Looks an incredibly more balanced team in my opinion and fairly achievable with Dayot and Sancho apparently lookong for a move away.

Njord

I think we have a somewhat decent first XI, but the change we need to make for next season is to have rotation options that won't significantly weaken the quality of the team.

I see the solution with having 5 players capable of stepping in, so that in a month with 8 matches, no one needs to play more than 5 or 6. This way, we keep the best players fresh troughout the season.

I think we can do this with four aquisitions, even if we sell the six stated below.

For summer 20 I'd like is to sign Sancho to raise the quality of the first XI, Grealish to get both versatility and quality, a CM that can play with both McT and Fred, of PL quality, and another striker to add numbers (either a youngster or someone older).

Out: Pogba, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Sanchez, Lingard
Total approximately £160 million

In: Sancho, Grealish, Rice, Boadu
Total approximately £260 million

Net £100 million

First eleven:
DDG, AWB, Lindelöf, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Sancho, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial

A strong first eleven. Three players that need to improve in 20/21 are Lindelöf, Shaw and Martial, or summer of 21 we'll need to purchase a CB, LB and striker.

Regular rotation players:
Romero (GK), Williams (RB, LB), Tuanzebe (CB), Rice (CM), Grealish (CM, AM, LW), Greenwood (RW, S)

With proper rotation these players Will be seen as basically regular starters.

Squad players:
Dalot (RB, LB), Bailly (CB), Matic (CM), Pereira (CM, AM, LW), Mata (RW, AM), James (RW, LW), Boadu (S)

These players should only play 1-3 matches a month, so that they are fresh and hungry when er need them.

If we need minutes from anyone else we can call up Laird, Mengi, Garner, Levitt, Mejbri, Ramazani etc., unless they go on loans.

croadyman

As much as I like Villa, we should hope they get relegated because that will probably save us £20-30 million on Grealish.

DDG, Romero (or a new 2-choice keeper if Romero leaves), Bishop - Shaw, Williams, Maguire, VL, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Dalot, AWB - Matic, Bruno, Fred, McT, Andreas P, Mata, Grealish, Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood, Ighalo and one more quality winger (Jones and Lingard to leave)

Regardless what People think of OGS - he will have worked miracles in turning a crap team into something with real potential. And if he is fired, he will have really set the table for whoever takes over.
Hopefully Sancho is that quality winger but simply have to get champions league to be in the discussion, totally agree with what you are saying about Villa too even though they should be in the premier league

RUCK4444

Amen brother. I’ve been preaching the same for months under heavy fire from the anti-Ole brigade.

To me it was clear that the recruitment had more structure to it and that this time it was a proper rebuilding job with how many dead wood players he got rid of.

I think with the position we were in, we needed to sacrifice this season in the immediate aftermath of those changes, I believe Ole thought the fans would give him that time to rebuild after selling so many of the deadwood players.

The match going fans still sing his name, as do I when I’m at matches, however a lot of fans here don’t see it the same way.

The rebuild was job #1, if we won a cup on the way then great, but rebuild was the mission.
It would be somewhat harsh to say the least if we sack him before he finishes his squad. Worst case we hand a young talented squad over to Poch or whoever.

My stance is to give him one more summer transfer window. That preseason to gel and see how we go at the start of next season.

I think that’s a fair and balanced approach, especially if we do secure top four (five!?) this season.

Alabaster Codify7

Amen brother. I’ve been preaching the same for months under heavy fire from the anti-Ole brigade.

To me it was clear that the recruitment had more structure to it and that this time it was a proper rebuilding job with how many dead wood players he got rid of.

I think with the position we were in, we needed to sacrifice this season in the immediate aftermath of those changes, I believe Ole thought the fans would give him that time to rebuild after selling so many of the deadwood players.

The match going fans still sing his name, as do I when I’m at matches, however a lot of fans here don’t see it the same way.

The rebuild was job #1, if we won a cup on the way then great, but rebuild was the mission.
It would be somewhat harsh to say the least if we sack him before he finishes his squad. Worst case we hand a young talented squad over to Poch or whoever.

My stance is to give him one more summer transfer window. That preseason to gel and see how we go at the start of next season.

I think that’s a fair and balanced approach, especially if we do secure top four (five!?) this season.

Amen?
I give up. That is a top 10 squad. Disgusting lack of standards.

Kag

Central midfielder; attacking midfielder; right winger; left back that can whip in a cross. These are non-negotiable signings, for me.

The dream scenario would be players like Saul, Grealish and Sancho; the first two would serve as your Pogba replacement.

As is often the case when you play Football Manager on an internet forum, you don’t have a clue whether or not these players are available. Sorta’ fun nonetheless. Personally, I’d like it if the club were to look at somebody like Digne at Everton. Having a left back that can contribute going forward and fight it out with Shaw is crucial, especially given that Wan-Bissaka is more of a defensive option.

RUCK4444

Amen?
I give up. That is a top 10 squad. Disgusting lack of standards.
Your more regular than a period my friend and even less appealing.

I love how you think anybody who can see a light at the end of the tunnel just doesn’t have any standards.

If it’s a top 10 squad then Ole is doing well if we get CL :lol:

Guess what, standards are pointless if you can’t accept your position in life and put in the effort to change/improve that position.

We were the best in England, the dogs b*llocks, the cream of the Prem... BUT we are feckin miles away from that.

You can’t just say ‘lack of standards we should be winning the league like under good ol’ Fergie!!’

You have to fight to get back and that’s a long road, it’s not our rite to champagne football and trophies pal. This is where, ya know, actually supporting the squad and manager pays dividends, not just when we were winning everything.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Did we really have to sacrifice the season to rebuild the squad? Could we not have spent the money in a more efficient way whereby the squad was more balanced?

I completely disagree with you that the season had to be sacrificed. It seems like the summer recruitment strategy was conducted in a very naive and inexperienced way considering we had a number of glaring weaknesses in the playing 11.

bondsname

The thought of Graelish or Maddison playing for United is really exciting, but there are other positions we need to improve on. If I understand it correctly, Maddison is a CAM, and Graelish is also a CAM and a LW. Just take a look at our squad you quite clearly see that we are stacked in those positions.

In my opinion, we focus on our most prominent issues; RW and ST position. Ideally Sancho, and maybe Werner.

Third position is CDM. Matic's has actually been decent but unfortunately for us, he is in his 30's and may not be able to keep up any longer. It also looks like Pogba is leaving, so we need midfield reinforcments anyway. Get a ST, RW and a CDM, it gets us some stability, depth and tactical options, then we go shopping for players like Graelish or Maddison if we must

RUCK4444

Did we really have to sacrifice the season to rebuild the squad? Could we not have spent the money in a more efficient way whereby the squad was more balanced?

I completely disagree with you that the season had to be sacrificed. It seems like the summer recruitment strategy was conducted in a very naive and inexperienced way considering we had a number of glaring weaknesses in the playing 11.
Probably not but we were never winning the league this year anyway - so why not speed the process up and at the same time free up a load of cash and wages to invest in the squad with new players who want to be here.

Ask yourself this, you get the job tomorrow as United manager and your faced with some average players who are not committed to the club, how do you respond?
As a fan you want them gone instantly, if your trying to quickly change the mindset of this team you want them gone instantly.

At the end of the day if we secure CL football in this season then we will have achieved the maximum we would have gotten anyway whilst simultaneously fast tracking the rebuild. Win win.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Probably not but we were never winning the league this year anyway - so why not speed the process up and at the same time free up a load of cash and wages to invest in the squad with new players who want to be here.

Ask yourself this, you get the job tomorrow as United manager and your faced with some average players who are not committed to the club, how do you respond?
As a fan you want them gone instantly, if your trying to quickly change the mindset of this team you want them gone instantly.

At the end of the day if we secure CL football in this season then we will have achieved the maximum we would have gotten anyway whilst simultaneously fast tracking the rebuild. Win win.
If I was given the job I wouldn't have signed Maguire and AWB due to the cost and would've kept Smalling for at least another season. I agree with getting rid of players that didn't want to be here though. But I would've gone further and got rid of Lingard, Pereira and Jones too. And with the money available sign a short term RB with a view to giving Ethan Laird, time to stake his claim for the RB spot. Also sign a CB that is considerably cheaper in comparison to what Leicester were asking for Maguire. And then I would spend the rest on a couple of quality midfielders which would in all likelihood served us much better IMO.

The moves we made for Maguire and AWB and for the cost actually slowed down our rebuild IMO. We actually should've been further along with our rebuild if we adopted a strategy whereby we looked for value signings rather than blow most of the budget on a RB and CB, that quite frankly didn't warrant such transfer fees IMO.

Short term RB, Denis Zakaria DM, creative CM and Ibrahima Konate CB.

Would the above 4 players be possible for what we spent on Maguire and AWB? In my humble opinion the answer is yes. And that is the reason I believe the summer recruitment was below average and could quite easily have been much better from a team balance POV.